Roquan Smith - The Film Room

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

This is a great piece about the strengths and weaknesses of Smith. It explains in detail, why Trevethan will be the Mike and Smith the Will.

Don't know how many of you watch "The Film Room" but this is really good stuff.

Roquan Smith
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

That got posted here right after the draft. It shows why we should never have drafted him without beefy, quality players like Hicks and Goldman in front of him. It will be interesting to see how teams attack Bullard/RRH on the weak side with Roquan behind them. I really want Mack next to Roquan because he's a superior run defender.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:That got posted here right after the draft. It shows why we should never have drafted him without beefy, quality players like Hicks and Goldman in front of him. It will be interesting to see how teams attack Bullard/RRH on the weak side with Roquan behind them. I really want Mack next to Roquan because he's a superior run defender.
OK. Thanks. I didn't see it.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Thanks for posting again - I watched it a few times around the draft but was glad to get another look at it. Smith is the perfect fit for this defense and Chicago has the perfect players around him to compliment what he can/cannot do.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Thanks for posting again - I watched it a few times around the draft but was glad to get another look at it. Smith is the perfect fit for this defense and Chicago has the perfect players around him to compliment what he can/cannot do.
That's what I thought. Trevethan can take on the blocks as the Mike. I also think our DL, with Hicks and Goldman will help keep the G's from getting to the 2nd level. If Smith is given room to operate, he could be really special.
Bearfacts
MVP

One thing to note is that playing at Georgia he was playing light at less than 220lbs almost like a rover LB/SS. Floyd was also very light (230lbs) when playing at Georgia and weighed 244lbs at the Combine and now he's playing at 251lbs.

At the Combine Smith weighed in at 236lbs and still ran a 4.5/40. Now he's listed at 225lbs so at least for now I'm assuming the Bears want him to stay somewhere in the 225-230lb range so he's effective in coverage as well but he has shown he can carry more weight than that and still have great speed and range so where he ends up a year from now who can say?

But, once again we do have a DL who can protect him a bit. There have been guys like Singletary and Sam Mills who played as 4-3 MLBs at 225-230lbs and became All Pros at the position so I'm not gonna go that much by what I saw in some of his college videos. Let's see what happens here in the NFL. It's a different game now and lighter faster LBs are more in use now than even 5 years ago. JAX's Telvin Smith is only 215-220lbs.
wab
Mod

Bearfacts wrote:JAX's Telvin Smith is only 215-220lbs.
He's also hurt a lot.

I'd like to see Smith play more at 235 than 220 just for the pure fact that a little more bulk helps with durability.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wab wrote:
He's also hurt a lot.

I'd like to see Smith play more at 235 than 220 just for the pure fact that a little more bulk helps with durability.

Google says Telvin Smith has missed 4 games in 4 years. Unless he's leaving a lot of games early, that doesn't seem like an injury prone player.

wab
Mod

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
wab wrote:
He's also hurt a lot.

Google says Telvin Smith has missed 4 games in 4 years. Unless he's leaving a lot of games early, that doesn't seem like an injury prone player.
I feel like he's had concussion issues, but maybe I'm wrong.
Bearfacts
MVP

wab wrote:
He's also hurt a lot.

Hmmm.....he's only missed 4 games out of 64 in his entire career.

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles Sacks & Tackles
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Tkl Ast Sfty AV
2014 23 JAX LB 50 16 9 1 15 0 15 4 1 0 2 0 0 2.0 72 32 6
2015 24 JAX LB 50 14 14 1 26 1 26 7 2 0 0 0 0 2.5 99 29 7
2016 25 JAX LB 50 16 16 2 0 0 0 8 0 0 1 0 0 1.0 98 20 9
2017* 26 JAX LB 50 14 14 3 56 1 28 5 1 0 2 52 1 1.0 76 26 15
2018 27 JAX 50 0 0
Career 60 53 7 97 2 28 24 4 0 5 52 1 6.5 345 107 37

Roquan is only 21 so I doubt he's done growing just yet and like Daniels I expect both to add some "good weight" and muscle bulk between now and next season much like Floyd did. If I recall Fangio had Floyd at around 235lbs as a rookie and he's 250lbs now so 230-235lbs for Smith seems likely and maybe from 295lbs to 310lbs for Daniels.
Last edited by Bearfacts on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Flanders
MVP

Think of Traylor in front of Url! Those were some good years for Url. Url didn't have the "size issue" that Smith supposedly has, but one of his big knocks had always been his inability to take on blocks or get around them.

Couple of big bodies to take those blocks up does wonders for the inside LBs.

I have to imagine that having Mack ANYWHERE on the field means two guys on him most plays. That will only help everyone else out there.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bad Flanders wrote:Think of Traylor in front of Url! Those were some good years for Url. Url didn't have the "size issue" that Smith supposedly has, but one of his big knocks had always been his inability to take on blocks or get around them.

I have to imagine that having Mack ANYWHERE on the field means two guys on him most plays. That will only help everyone else out there.
Hicks saw double teams almost every play last year. Not this year.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Bad Flanders wrote:Think of Traylor in front of Url! Those were some good years for Url. Url didn't have the "size issue" that Smith supposedly has, but one of his big knocks had always been his inability to take on blocks or get around them.

I think Hicks may get himself double-digit sacks this year - which is absolutely crazy when you think about it.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

I think Hicks may get himself double-digit sacks this year - which is absolutely crazy when you think about it.
If Floyd can take a big step forward, and Bullard and RRH can just be average. It will be a jail break on every passing down. Either that or the opposing team will have two receivers to throw to, because everyone else will be blocking.
Bearfacts
MVP

I wouldn't count RRH out as being a force as a pass rusher either. Didn't he lead the team in the preseason?

Once things settle in I can see Mack lining up next Hicks on the left side and Floyd paired with RRH on the right side as a four man front or with Goldman at NT in a 5 man front. Now add to that the threat of Smith being used an A gap blitzer coming straight at the QB like a 4.5 guided missile any back will have a tough him blocking. That's kinda scary.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

If Floyd can take a big step forward, and Bullard and RRH can just be average. It will be a jail break on every passing down. Either that or the opposing team will have two receivers to throw to, because everyone else will be blocking.
I think you're right on here. Just look at what we did in preseason and it's only going to get more nuanced. Teams are going to have no idea where the rush is coming from. But it will be coming on every passing down.

Fun times ahead. :evilgrin:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

I'm expecting it... that dude is going to fucking eat.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

And the other thing is that we did some blitzing in the preseason. But with Mack we'll be able to get away with a lot more 4 man rushes and dropping 7 back. And that way, when you did send Smith on the blitz or a DB off the corner, teams would be more surprised by it. Lovie will be proud.

Edit... Or maybe we should still blitz a lot and try to create chaos on QB drop backs? Can I hear an argument to go ahead and blitz significantly with Mack?

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:And the other thing is that we did some blitzing in the preseason. But with Mack we'll be able to get away with a lot more 4 man rushes and dropping 7 back. And that way, when you did send Smith on the blitz or a DB off the corner, teams would be more surprised by it. Lovie will be proud.

Edit... Or maybe we should still blitz a lot and try to create chaos on QB drop backs? Can I hear an argument to go ahead and blitz significantly with Mack?
I can see situations where we might see a corner blitz or a safety blitz. Dropping Floyd into coverage and sending a DB off the edge. Rushing four with a random blitz coming from alternating directions. Especially if you have the strength to rush four with Bullard, Goldman, Hicks and Mack. You can afford to bring a DB blitz, get pressure, and maintain coverage.

Should be A LOT of fun to watch.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

I remember a point last year, when Hicks was getting double teamed on a regular basis. But his first step was SO, SO quick and powerful, he was blowing up the double team before it could get to him. There was one game where the announcers were saying he was almost unblockable. That was with Acho and Floyd coming off the edges. Mack is a bit of an upgrade over Acho. :)

Hicks is going to be a monster this year. MON-STER.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Who is going to step up opposite of Hicks this year? Bullard or RRH?
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

I remember a point last year, when Hicks was getting double teamed on a regular basis. But his first step was SO, SO quick and powerful, he was blowing up the double team before it could get to him. There was one game where the announcers were saying he was almost unblockable. That was with Acho and Floyd coming off the edges. Mack is a bit of an upgrade over Acho. :)

Hicks is going to be a monster this year. MON-STER.
Hicks looks like a bigger Tommie Harris with his first step sometimes, but with big Ted Washington's heavy hands. I love having him here.

Him and Mack should both feed off each other. Goldman won't get great stats but his big role is to keep DT and Smith free to roam. IDGAF if it is Bullard or RRH someone needs to step up and produce. They literally will go one on one all day with Mack, Hicks, Floyd all being the main focus of the OL.
malagabears
Journeyman

Big weakness for Roquan is to shed blocks on the first or 2nd level. The video articulates scheme is very important to his success. I initially thought that should not be a major issue because he has 2 beefy tackles in Hicks and Goldman right in front of him but that is normally Trevethan's area of responsibility. If he has to line up behind RRH or Bullard it will be a challenge for them to clog the OLine and create space for Roquan to work in unless as has been alluded to we line Mack up on the right side.
Bearfacts
MVP

I was reading an article where Sean Payton was describing how they game planned for Mack by putting a TE on him to chip him regardless of which side he lined up on and I'm thinking yeah, do that. Great idea.

So if Mack more often than not lines up on Hicks shoulder whose gonna double Hicks. LOL They're gonna have to pick their poison because it's like fighting a two fisted brawler. If the right one don't get'cha the left one will.
Bearfacts
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Who is going to step up opposite of Hicks this year? Bullard or RRH?
Bullard seems to be ahead on the depth chart but IMHO RRH is the better rusher and in time could be another very dominant DE. He's Julius Peppers size and he's athletic and fast. They just need to keep developing him.
wab
Mod

I've always thought Bullard is a terrible fit for this D. I'd like to see RRH or Nichols step up.
Bearfacts
MVP

wab wrote:I've always thought Bullard is a terrible fit for this D. I'd like to see RRH or Nichols step up.
I somewhat agree. He has a skill set and size more in line with a 3 tech DT but in the past Fangio has used guys like that in his DL. Ray McDonald would be an example. At worst he gives Vic some versatility as a penetrating run defender but I still feel in the long run RRH or Nichols will pass him up.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I've always thought Bullard is a terrible fit for this D. I'd like to see RRH or Nichols step up.
Don’t sleep on Nichols. The kid has a base like a redwood tree. And he pretty quick for his size. Give him a couple years of NFL coaching and fitness/nutrition and he could be a beast.

If you look at his tape, you have to look at 2016. In 2017 Delaware switched schemes, and he was more of a OL eater, than an active rusher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk