Has Ted Phillips been shoved into the background?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malagabears
Journeyman

I find it incredibly refreshing (although I have no definitive proof and could not find any from beat writers or Twitter) that during this entire pursuit of Khalil Mack one name never really came up or was there to get in the way: Ted Phillips.

That to me could mean that he has finally been shoved out of day to day Operations and Ryan Pace has full reigns of the ship. Even during Mack's presser only Pace & Nagy were presentas it should have been. The only shread of circumstantial evidence that I can present to my hunch is this piece from the Suntimes article yesterday:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bea ... with-wins/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After the staff meeting Friday, Phillips’ door was open. General manager Ryan Pace’s was closed. McCaskey paced back and forth between the two.

‘‘I thought the best approach at that point was patience,’’ he said.

Are we finally seeing the gradual handover of Operations and major decisions to Ryan Pace?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malagabears wrote:I find it incredibly refreshing (although I have no definitive proof and could not find any from beat writers or Twitter) that during this entire pursuit of Khalil Mack one name never really came up or was there to get in the way: Ted Phillips.

That to me could mean that he has finally been shoved out of day to day Operations and Ryan Pace has full reigns of the ship. Even during Mack's presser only Pace & Nagy were presentas it should have been. The only shread of circumstantial evidence that I can present to my hunch is this piece from the Suntimes article yesterday:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bea ... with-wins/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After the staff meeting Friday, Phillips’ door was open. General manager Ryan Pace’s was closed. McCaskey paced back and forth between the two.

‘‘I thought the best approach at that point was patience,’’ he said.

Are we finally seeing the gradual handover of Operations and major decisions to Ryan Pace?
Yes. Thank God.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I think Bears management has finally realized they hired football people so need to let them do the football part of the team dealings and then the front office works to get the football people what they need ... hence the acquisition of Mr.Mack

so I think Phillips has simply been placed back in the position he should never have been allowed to expand from
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bearfacts
MVP

Boris13c wrote:I think Bears management has finally realized they hired football people so need to let them do the football part of the team dealings and then the front office works to get the football people what they need ... hence the acquisition of Mr.Mack

so I think Phillips has simply been placed back in the position he should never have been allowed to expand from
I don't know that it could be summarized any better than this. Let's look at the history of Teddy Bears as CEO.

He was for many years simply the McCaskey's "bean counter" with one claim to fame. He handled the negotiations with the city for the renovation and lease of Soldier Field after Michael McCaskey had threatened to move the team to Schaumburg or even Indiana. So the Bears ended up staying in Chicago but in the smallest venue in the NFL.

Maybe that's only fitting since much like his mentor "Mikey" IMHO Teddy Bears has always thought small.

After Mikey messed up the Dave McGinnis hire by announcing his hiring before they had agreed to terms Ginny removed him as Team President replacing him with Phillips who I think knew even less about running a successful NFL team than Mikey, if that's possible. And from that point on Teddy has been a spectre hovering over every Bears GM and every coaching hire and also the keeper of the key to the McCaskey money vault and it's bank balance.

Maybe the grandest of all of Teddy's failures was the troika of firing Angelo, hiring Phil Emery to replace him, and allowing him to replace Lovie with Marc Trestman. In my mind this somewhat parallels Mikey's decision to fire Ditka and replace him with Dave Wannstadt and together they finished the destruction of the '80 Chicago Bears and a football "nuclear winter" settled over the city for about a decade.

College professors and bean counters who know nothing about football and football teams and have never even played the game should never be put in charge of one. Maybe if Ginny had listened to GHS and not put Mikey in charge none of that would have happened including Teddy Bears ascending to the CEO throne but that's all ancient history now. Somehow things had to change and GMcC finally inserted himself into the mess Phillips created hoping for a recovery.

I think that at the very least George has more of his namesake grandfather in his little pinky than Mikey had in his whole body who was pretty much a clone of Ed McCaskey who Halas often said was the dumbest SOB he'd ever met.

So GMcC sends out a lifeline to the NFL who sends him Ernie Accorsi to help with the rescue and to help in a GM search. That I took as the very first sign that Phillips influence and control was about to diminish but slowly because if nothing else the McCaskeys have always been methodical.....and slow to make changes. Slow like a glacier.

The second indication was the extension of Ryan Paces contract and a comment by GMcC that affirmed that Pace would be reporting directly to him. To me that more or less indicated Teddy Bears was being submerged to more of a figurehead CEO in name only and that Pace had won GMcC's trust to now run the team his own way.

The McCaskeys are not unkind people and Phillips has worked for them loyally for years. So it's very much like them to return that loyalty and keep him around. They can afford it and someone has to watch over the Halas Hall expansion while Pace tends to football ops but clearly Teddy is now riding in the backseat while Pace and GMcC drive.

JMHO
UOK
Site Admin

I think Phillips has been overblown for awhile. He's an easy guy to hate when things are down, and a difficult person to praise when things are good. He and George both come off badly when in the public eye, and often seem rather insistent upon being out front for positive things, and fans are hesitant to give them credit.

It makes some sense, but it's also part of the difficulty of understanding the losing, and putting a face on the years of lousy football. I feel like Phillips is a businessman first who is permanently embedded in the organization, and is of great import to George for reasons I think most fans would find unsatisfying if they were ever revealed in great detail.

I honestly give no shits about Phillips one way or another, and would rather him not be discussed at all, simply because if he's a conversation point, it means the team is fucking up really badly.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I think Phillips has been overblown for awhile. He's an easy guy to hate when things are down, and a difficult person to praise when things are good. He and George both come off badly when in the public eye, and often seem rather insistent upon being out front for positive things, and fans are hesitant to give them credit.

It makes some sense, but it's also part of the difficulty of understanding the losing, and putting a face on the years of lousy football. I feel like Phillips is a businessman first who is permanently embedded in the organization, and is of great import to George for reasons I think most fans would find unsatisfying if they were ever revealed in great detail.

I honestly give no shits about Phillips one way or another, and would rather him not be discussed at all, simply because if he's a conversation point, it means the team is fucking up really badly.
Ryan Pace doesn't need to be involved in stadium deals, negotiations with the city, parking lot maintenance, food vendors or toilet paper decisions. That's what they need Ted for.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bearfacts
MVP

UOK wrote:I think Phillips has been overblown for awhile. He's an easy guy to hate when things are down, and a difficult person to praise when things are good. He and George both come off badly when in the public eye, and often seem rather insistent upon being out front for positive things, and fans are hesitant to give them credit.

I honestly give no shits about Phillips one way or another, and would rather him not be discussed at all, simply because if he's a conversation point, it means the team is fucking up really badly

But isn't that precisely why he has been a topic of conversation in the past and why we're kind of disposing of him relative to team ops now? Ted's lack of a presence has been noticed but not necessarily missed.

I do agree with you that he's firmly embedded in the team hierarchy and for good reason. He's also earned a good deal of the McCaskey's trust over many things but football ops has never been his long suit and we all know that.

Perhaps my biggest resentment of Teddy came on two separate occasions when during interviews he emphasized economics over winning consistently. His comments may just as well have come straight from Michael McCaskey's mouth who was even more difficult to like than Teddy for anyone whose lived through his reign as CEO.

The last instance was a couple of years ago when he was asked about fan loyalty and putting a winning team on the field and he immediately diverted to speaking about their corporate sponsors and corporate relations essentially assigning the role of individual fan support a secondary position. Teddy was insistent that losing was not impacting them because of their excellent corporate relations.

Fine Ted but those aren't whose filling up your parking lots and seats each home game and buying refreshments and souvenirs. Maybe they can't afford private boxes like yours but they pay for their PSL and season tickets like everyone else and they wanted to see some signs of improvement they weren't seeing. Personally I thought it was a pretty callous comment on his part so maybe he needs a press secretary.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:I think Bears management has finally realized they hired football people so need to let them do the football part of the team dealings and then the front office works to get the football people what they need ... hence the acquisition of Mr.Mack

Yeah. I think his re-placement occurred after the first half of the Packer game in 2014.
malagabears
Journeyman

Why is this topic taboo? Any sports team's FO (Front Office) and it's members to include ownership play a vital role in the overall success or failure of the organization.
Additionally, the essence of a well run sports forum is to allow for freedom of opinion and expression. There are ground rules for conduct, topics, and civility. As far as I know I have not violated any board rules nor have I crossed any red lines. I came here with the sole purpose of engaging in lively debate primarily in all that is Bears related. I aspire to be an enthusiastic contributor in this main forum and the others. But if my freedom of expression (which is well within the established guidelines) is going to be suppressed I will simply pack up my bags and move elsewhere. It is really that simple for me.

Enviado desde mi SM-A520F mediante Tapatalk
wab
Mod

Cool your tits hoss. No one said the topic was taboo. UOK was simply inferring that if Phillips is being talked about (in general) that the team is doing something wrong. Ergo, he’d be perfectly happy not talking about him...because that means things are going in the right direction for the team.
malagabears
Journeyman

wab wrote:Cool your tits hoss. No one said the topic was taboo. UOK was simply inferring that if Phillips is being talked about (in general) that the team is doing something wrong. Ergo, he’d be perfectly happy not talking about him...because that means things are going in the right direction for the team.
Your tone and his are absolutely unacceptable and reek of "BULLYING". I refuse to be talked down to by any mod on any board when I have done nothing wrong. You and Super mod can keep your board and your "Trump" tactics to yourselves. I am done with this totalitarian attitude. CYA Trump and Trump Jr.

Nanky
Journeyman

malagabears wrote:
wab wrote:Cool your tits hoss. No one said the topic was taboo. UOK was simply inferring that if Phillips is being talked about (in general) that the team is doing something wrong. Ergo, he’d be perfectly happy not talking about him...because that means things are going in the right direction for the team.
Your tone and his are absolutely unacceptable and reek of "BULLYING". I refuse to be talked down to by any mod on any board when I have done nothing wrong. You and Super mod can keep your board and your "Trump" tactics to yourselves. I am done with this totalitarian attitude. CYA Trump and Trump Jr.

lol . . . what are you even talking about. I didn't see any bullying. Grow a pair and stop being butt hurt.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

If you think this site is bullying I dare ya to go check out chicitysports. That site trolls it's own teams fans more than opposing teams... I posted a few times there and holy crap just because you're new they were like a pack of hyenas circling a carcass just bashing anything you said to the point I've never gone back LOL. I think ya just need to take a deep breath and chill you've had some good posts that have added to the conversations up here.

I'm not a fan of Ted when he sticks his nose in football ops but he's been pretty good at making sure the Bears salary cap was in check in the past. The Bears spent a lot on players when Lovie was here and shortly after and they were never really in cap hell, we're in the position we are to add all these guys because of a lot of things he did.

However, it was nice to not hear his name brought up during the Mack deal... We were talking about that in another thread briefly. It shows that (like others said) they're letting the football guys do their jobs and that's great news and a welcome change.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:Ryan Pace doesn't need to be involved in stadium deals, negotiations with the city, parking lot maintenance, food vendors or toilet paper decisions. That's what they need Ted for.
+1, and +2.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

malagabears wrote:

UOK
Site Admin

No idea what malagabears was going on about, but I'm not going to ban/suspend or whatever.

All feels completely out of nowhere.

Kindly reminder that users have no rights on this forum, and accounts can and will be suspended/banned for any reason I decide. That said, I feel like I'm usually very fair, and only swing the hammer on accounts that are obviously toxic or bringing the forum down.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:No idea what malagabears was going on about, but I'm not going to ban/suspend or whatever.

Kindly reminder that users have no rights on this forum, and accounts can and will be suspended/banned for any reason I decide. That said, I feel like I'm usually very fair, and only swing the hammer on accounts that are obviously toxic or bringing the forum down.
I put him on a time out to avoid having this devolve into a shitshow, but feel free to undo it.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:
UOK wrote:No idea what malagabears was going on about, but I'm not going to ban/suspend or whatever.

I put him on a time out to avoid having this devolve into a shitshow, but feel free to undo it.
Eh, that's fine. How long did you set the time-out for?
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:

Eh, that's fine. How long did you set the time-out for?
I think it defaults to 7 days for me.
UOK
Site Admin

Cool.

I'm not locking this thread or whatever. Everybody else is/was enjoying a quality discussion about Ted Phillips, so let's continue.
Bearfacts
MVP

Knuckles wrote:If you think this site is bullying I dare ya to go check out chicitysports. That site trolls it's own teams fans more than opposing teams... I posted a few times there and holy crap just because you're new they were like a pack of hyenas circling a carcass just bashing anything you said to the point I've never gone back LOL. I think ya just need to take a deep breath and chill you've had some good posts that have added to the conversations up here.

I'm not a fan of Ted when he sticks his nose in football ops but he's been pretty good at making sure the Bears salary cap was in check in the past. The Bears spent a lot on players when Lovie was here and shortly after and they were never really in cap hell, we're in the position we are to add all these guys because of a lot of things he did.

However, it was nice to not hear his name brought up during the Mack deal... We were talking about that in another thread briefly. It shows that (like others said) they're letting the football guys do their jobs and that's great news and a welcome change.
Yeah, agreed on the rabble from chicitysports. Once they hit the old DaBears site and I engaged a few of them I knew it was trouble and because I'd been on it's staff and moderated that site at one time I encouraged them to bring it to a quick ending. They didn't and in about a year it brought that site to an end.

Many of that chicity bunch tried to join another site I was involved with and they were rejected. That's not a website it's an anarchists training academy. :thumbdown:

As for Teddy it really wasn't him keeping the cap in line for so long it was Cliff Stein and now Joey Laine. Phillips is just the bank they had to go to for funds. Ever since the CBA has required team to spend the majority of their cap over a rolling period of time (4 years I think) the Bears have never been cheap as far as acquiring player talent or spending on their own. But for awhile coaching was another matter. But that's not the case any longer either.

Ted may be a real peach of a guy but that doesn't mean I ever want him involved in football ops again either. ;)
Knuckles
Player of the Month

thunderspirit wrote:

Mikefive wrote:Ryan Pace doesn't need to be involved in stadium deals, negotiations with the city, parking lot maintenance, food vendors or toilet paper decisions. That's what they need Ted for.
+1, and +2.
I put the full blame on the McCasky's over anyone else for the past... Ted was put in that situation by them and he was easy to blame (like what was said)... I'll never forget when they told us fans that we had our time and it was now theirs... I've been really FN pissed about that ever since and any and all blame is on them from that comment alone not to mention at the time they dismantled the best Bears team of all time. That threw the red flag up and if a racoon shit on my lawn I blamed the McCasky's... It's one of the reasons why they were known to be 'cheap' combined with the comment Ditka made about GSH tossing nickles like man hole covers.

They've tried to change over the past decade or so but their incompetence still found a way to make fans like myself dislike them. It wasn't until when George had the fan try and fight him where I (personally) was like man that's too far but that's the level of anger a lot fans had built up and I think that might have been a little spark in George's thinking. When you have to be shit faced by the time the game starts just to watch them play you have a serious problem.

It seems like he's been trying and I can't say anything bad really about him right now... the 'cheap' narrative has been removed for a while now. Sure they tried to outsmart themselves with Trestman / Emery and proved they had some serious issues but even then they tried to hire help with Accorsi because at that time they knew they didn't have the chops to do it themselves. That's when Ted came in and tried to put his stamp on it verbally in the press and that's when I started to dislike him. If he just kept his mouth shut and did what he did great with managing the salary cap no one would have really cared. That's when it seemed to me personally that he had too much power in day to day stuff where he had no business being in IMHO.

I think they're trying to get one more championship before Virgina passes. She deserve it, we deserves it and the players deserve it. Too bad it couldn't happen when Urlacher, Kruetz and Hester were here but as a fan I'm happy to see it at this point now. They have finally figured it out...
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Bearfacts wrote:
Knuckles wrote:If you think this site is bullying I dare ya to go check out chicitysports. That site trolls it's own teams fans more than opposing teams... I posted a few times there and holy crap just because you're new they were like a pack of hyenas circling a carcass just bashing anything you said to the point I've never gone back LOL. I think ya just need to take a deep breath and chill you've had some good posts that have added to the conversations up here.

Yeah, agreed on the rabble from chicitysports. Once they hit the old DaBears site and I engaged a few of them I knew it was trouble and because I'd been on it's staff and moderated that site at one time I encouraged them to bring it to a quick ending. They didn't and in about a year it brought that site to an end.

Many of that chicity bunch tried to join another site I was involved with and they were rejected. That's not a website it's an anarchists training academy. :thumbdown:

As for Teddy it really wasn't him keeping the cap in line for so long it was Cliff Stein and now Joey Laine. Phillips is just the bank they had to go to for funds. Ever since the CBA has required team to spend the majority of their cap over a rolling period of time (4 years I think) the Bears have never been cheap as far as acquiring player talent or spending on their own. But for awhile coaching was another matter. But that's not the case any longer either.

Ted may be a real peach of a guy but that doesn't mean I ever want him involved in football ops again either. ;)
Damn well that's news to me I thought it all ran through Ted...

LOL yeah that site is terrible... When the official bears forums was taken down I pleaded with the last site I used to be involved with (scout) to not bring them over... that site was great until 24/7 took over. Was a member there since like 2000.
UOK
Site Admin

CCS tried to gobble us up a few years ago. We declined.

Their board is, in my eyes, an absolute mess. We here are much more of a laid back crew. That being said, I've been a bit impatient with posters who are brazenly unsuited for our community, whether via being confrontational, too eager to encourage mutinies, and just plain ol' dumb.

Some people enjoy that. Some don't.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

UOK wrote:CCS tried to gobble us up a few years ago. We declined.

Their board is, in my eyes, an absolute mess. We here are much more of a laid back crew. That being said, I've been a bit impatient with posters who are brazenly unsuited for our community, whether via being confrontational, too eager to encourage mutinies, and just plain ol' dumb.

Seems pretty chill up here... I've enjoyed talking Bears here and havn't seen anyone really go off on another poster (other than the post today lol). It's good to have disagreements but when you just bash people for not agreeing with you or you tear someone down just because you want to seem 'funny' to a bunch of children then you have chicitysports...

Well keep up the good work... Hope we're all here celebrating at the end of the season!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Knuckles wrote:

Seems pretty chill up here... I've enjoyed talking Bears here and havn't seen anyone really go off on another poster (other than the post today lol). It's good to have disagreements but when you just bash people for not agreeing with you or you tear someone down just because you want to seem 'funny' to a bunch of children then you have chicitysports...

Well keep up the good work... Hope we're all here celebrating at the end of the season!
Mods...

Still need a 'like' button. I 'like' this post.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

malagabears wrote:

Guys this is a troll. I understand you already gave him timeout or whatever, but you still seem dumbstruck so hopefully I can give you some comfort and understanding that there is 100% no way this guy is serious.

Anyway, yea, its pretty chill here. Just cant attack other members. Unless is IE because he had the biggest hardon for trading Greg Olsen away.
G08
Hall of Famer

(you're welcome) :wink:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Seems like malaga must've been having a really bad day. Or bad rum, maybe? Take your time off and come on back, dude. Nobody is hating on you, man. :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.