Am I the only one not chugging the Kool-Aid?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Davantesghost
Practice Squad

Bearfacts wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:I love you guys. I need to find a happy medium between being a blowhard Bears fan and a jaded Bears fan.

I'm going to be excited for this team that has been put together. LOVE Fangio, love this defense, love Nagy's scheme (or at least what I think it will be). I'm a big fan of Mitch but his deep ball has been awful this camp/pre-season and I am starting to question just how strong his really is (arm strength isn't more important than accuracy, of course).

I'd love nothing more than to stomp out the Packers on National fucking television with the rest of the world watching.
Turn that frown upside down.

To paraphrase The Ultimate Warrior, the Bears are going to Green Bay for one reason, to attack and keep coming.

What exactly do we have to lose in this game? None of the pressure is on us. All of it is on the Packers. Fuck the Packers.

We're not the ones playing at home. We're not the favorites. We don't have the billion dollar darling quarterback.

We do have the element of surprise. Big time. On both sides of the ball. We have the morale and the momentum. We've got a new charismatic coach with buy-in from the players. We have a shit ton of new talent. Last but not least, Lawrence Taylor 2.0 in Khalil Mack.

I would much rather be us than them.

The only way we "lose" this game is if we go up and drop a turd. A 50 point blow out. And if that happens, how is that any different than the past five years?

We're going to win this game and even if we don't what have we lost? Nothing.
Well said. This week I'm much happier to be a Bears fan than a Packer fan.

In fact I've spoken with a few of my Packer fan family members and buddies in the Cheese Tundra. They're always over confident and like to say "but it's the Bears" as if this is still the 2015-2017 version. That's fine with me since I know different. Things have changed and not just a little. They still have Rodgers but we have a better team now.

They're at home and 7 1/2 point favorites to a team that just got a whole lot better on defense and has shown so little on offense over the preseason (yet still scored well) they can't be sure of what to expect on either side of the ball with 100% certainty. What a switch huh? I think we're far more even than the odds-makers make us.

That's a little unnerving for them.

If they win, well they were expected to but by how much?

If we stay with them and they squeeze one out our confidence grows. If they lose even by a FG or a single point at home as 7 1/2 point favorites that's an embarrassment and it's a 2 point win for us over an NFCN rival on the road.

I like where we're at and that we can just go in lay our ears back and play.
Ok. So why should we believe the "Things changed" crap anymore then when you got Cutler and thought so, or Trestman and thought so, etc.?

Heard this same song and dance before. Your free to spout whatever optimistic platitudes you want, but Id zip it and let your team do the talking.
UOK
Site Admin

Davantesghost wrote: Heard this same song and dance before. Your free to spout whatever optimistic platitudes you want, but Id zip it and let your team do the talking.
Let's keep things civil please, for all parties.
Z Bear
MVP

I think he is finally starting to realize John Fox is gone and is getting nervous.
Davantesghost
Practice Squad

Z Bear wrote:I think he is finally starting to realize John Fox is gone and is getting nervous.
Lol.

First you'd win cause Cutler, then cause Trestman, now cause Nagy..

When will the madness end?
G08
Hall of Famer

Well that's precisely the thing that I realized. We have seen NOTHING of this offense nor its playmakers. We have no attachment to most of these players because they are brand freaking new. This isn't like the good Lovie years where we knew the defensive players, knew how they'd play upper echelon football, and then hope for the best from the QB.

Trubisky is an unknown
Cohen is an unknown
Robinson is an unknown
Gabriel is an unknown
Miller is an unknown
Burton is an unknown

This goes on and on and on. The only known commodities, really, are Leno, Long, Maisie, maybe Whitehair, and Howard.

We literally are sitting on doorstep of the of the next great Bears franchise or the next great Bears debacle. Nobody knows for sure and I think that's why week 1 (and really this entire season) is going to be about the foundation of what this core is going to be. That's what this season is going to be in my mind. Excitement will be there for sure but I'll also be so anxious on each play because I want to see glimpses of greatness but I know at times we will falter (especially on offense).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
G08
Hall of Famer

Davantesghost wrote:
Z Bear wrote:I think he is finally starting to realize John Fox is gone and is getting nervous.
Lol.

*shrug* probably with a broken collarbone. Again.
Davantesghost
Practice Squad

G08 wrote:
Davantesghost wrote:
Lol.

Yea, that worked out great for you last time..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:As I sit here 48(ish) hours away from the game, I find myself eerily concerned if only because everyone is so excited and high on the Bears right now.

Color me nervous.
Color me Warrior.

Fuck the Packers.
BR0D1E86
MVP

You’re the only one. Have a sip...

In all seriousness, our defense should be good enough that if Trubisky isn’t a turnover machine we should cruise to right about 8 wins. I think they’re going to be more than that, but that’s based on a lot of conjecture at this point.
Bearfacts
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:
Cutler had a cannon and a lot of velocity on his throws but that was as much of a problem at times as it was a benefit. For as many throws as he made into tight windows few others could match it also led him to attempt throws he should not have.
That was his biggest problem. He thought he could make any throw because of the strength of his arm. And unfortunately for him, he would occasionally do it. Which just made it worse. I don't want a QB that can throw it 70 yards. I want one that can throw it 25 yards on a dime.
Yep, agree with you completely.

Assuming a drop of 5-7 yards most throws except deep outs will only travel 20-30 yards or less anyway. IMHO those 12-15 yard gains are bread and butter plays as far as moving the ball. IMHO in this offense we'll see a lot quicker throws with less yardage traveled in the air vs looking to hit guys in stride for more yac yardage.

Velocity, accuracy, and timing should be the keystones.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

After so many years of disappointed I, like many, swore that I would never again let myself get excited about a season before I’d seen a few games to gauge the team’s quality.

But…

This time it feels different.

There is a real vibe around this team. Nagy’s arrival coupled with Pace’s off-season work seems to have generated an energy and sense of optimism that simply hasn’t been there for a long, long time.

This time last year was full of uncertainties and low expectations.

Fox was in a win or else situation, but Pace had drafted for the future. We expected Fox to remain his frustratingly conservative self. We had little faith that Loggains was going to prove a competent play caller. We wondered how much Fangio could get out of a young defense lacking any superstars.

On offense, Glennon was the starting QB, but it was just a matter of time before Trubisky took over. The receiving core was wafer thin even before Meredith was lost for the year. Everyone was wondering whether Cohen, a small guy from a small school, would even survive in the NFL let alone thrive. Long was going into the season without having his torn labrum repaired and we knew there was a lack of depth with Kush out for the year.

On defense, we didn’t know if Goldman’s injuries the year before were a one-off or a sign that he might struggle to stay healthy. We couldn’t be certain that Hicks would remain motivated after signing his big contract. We hoped rather than expected that Floyd, McPhee and our other edge rushers might actually stay healthy for a change. We speculated as to whether Fuller could prove he was a quality starter after missing the whole of the previous year and seemingly annoying the coaching staff, especially as they’d brought in Cooper and Amukamara. We were concerned that Jackson had missed much of his senior year in college with a broken leg and even more worried about his tackling ability. We thought Amos’s progress had stalled and he’d lost his starting spot.

This year it’s very different. We have an energised franchise and an energised fan base.

We have both coaching and playing continuity on a top 10 defense, with most of the players under contract for several seasons to come. It’s packed with young players who have proven to be at least solid and who may have not yet reached their ceilings. To that has been added an elite pass rusher in Mack and a number 8 draft pick in Smith. Far from worrying about this defense, we have legitimate reason to expect it to be even better than last year.

On offense, the coaching staff has been completely overhauled with an intriguing combination of Nagy calling the plays with input from Helfrich and his RPO expertise. The o-line is returning 4 out of 5 starters and the other, Kush, has proved competent in the past when filling in for the now departed Sitton. Daniels, a 20 year-old second-round draft pick, is already being groomed as his eventual replacement. Their position coach, Hiestand, is arguably the best in the business and just saw two of his college players drafted in the top 10.

The receiving core has been completely revamped and is now led by Robinson who is only a couple of seasons removed from putting up 1400 yards with Blake Bortles throwing him the ball! That's only 234 yards less than the all the Bears' WRs managed last year between them. We’ve seen what sort of contribution Gabriel made with the Chiefs and second round pick Miller has been drawing rave reviews since he walked through the door. Even the depth looks good, with White actually remaining upright so far and seventh round pick Wims leading the league in catches and yards during the preseason. They may be unproven as a group, but it’s hard to argue that they’re not light years better than last season’s sorry bunch. The TE depth looks very good too and Cohen proved last year that he is a threat any time they can get him in open space with the ball in his hands.

As for the most important member of the team, what a different situation Mitch Trubisky finds himself in. Last offseason and preseason, Mike Glennon was the one getting most of the reps and was focused on his own success. This year Trubisky’s got those valuable reps and has been surrounded by QBs whose sole job is to help him learn. He’s no longer shackled by ultra-conservatism, drilled to avoid turnovers at all costs. Instead he’s been encouraged to take some risks. Whereas last year there was a relentless focus was on Trubisky learning to play under center, Nagy’s scheme plays to Trubisky’s experience operating from the shotgun. Nagy’s offense spreads the field, so there should be no more ploughing Howard, who also excels from shotgun formations, into 8 and 9 man fronts on a regular basis. Howard’s already proven himself as a ball carrier, despite being criminally underrated by the general NFL media, and there’s every reason to believe he will surpass the high-level of output he produced in his first two seasons. A strong running game will aid Trubisky no end, he’ll be throwing to a much-improved receiving core and protected by an experienced offensive line.

As of right now, it is hard to see any significant weakness on this team. They’ve even made it to the start of the season with barely any notable injuries. The only real negatives have been Smith’s ridiculously long holdout and Shaheen’s unfortunate injury. If the injuries don’t pile up then this team could be very, very good and they should only get stronger as the season progresses.

That said, I’ve been wrong before… :)
Funkster
MVP

G08, the bears are finally making moves that us fans have wanted for a long time. A GM building through the draft and isn’t afraid to pull the trigger when he needs to. A young innovative HC, a solidified stud of a DC, a top 5 defense with key players locked up for years to come and an offense with potential weapons in all the skilled positions. Including a young QB ready to make a splash. Now is the time to be excited, drink up that koolaid man, get excited and have some fun, that’s what this is supposed to be about bro!! Bear the fuck down!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

HisRoyalSweetness....summed up most of my sentiment on this. I feel also that this is a team worthy of getting excited for, not just for this season, but for the future.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:HisRoyalSweetness....summed up most of my sentiment on this. I feel also that this is a team worthy of getting excited for, not just for this season, but for the future.
Agreed. That post was awesome.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:HisRoyalSweetness....summed up most of my sentiment on this. I feel also that this is a team worthy of getting excited for, not just for this season, but for the future.
One thing that the Cubs did, that the Bears are doing as well. They are going after high character players. No more Marshall or Bennett type of divas. It makes it all the more satisfying to root for good players, that are ALSO quality people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bearfacts
MVP

I found two really interesting columns in this AM's Trib.

The first by Biggsy talks about how Pace has learned from some past mistakes in FA about going after middle ground vets and has graduated to deciding that if you want to improve with vets who can help you now you have to locate and pay for the best then use the draft and low level inexperienced cheaper FAs and UDFAs to fill reserve positions and back end roster spots.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other talks about how Pace has used author and WSJ leadership columnist Sam Walker to consult with Mitch and his scouting staff to help build a team level leadership model not only for Mitch's benefit but also to assist he scouting and personnel staff better understand how to combine players and their own personality styles to succeed in team building.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found both to be good reads especially the one above. Pace is truly showing up now as a very thorough and forward thinking GM.
Bearfacts
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:After so many years of disappointed I, like many, swore that I would never again let myself get excited about a season before I’d seen a few games to gauge the team’s quality.

But…

There is a real vibe around this team. Nagy’s arrival coupled with Pace’s off-season work seems to have generated an energy and sense of optimism that simply hasn’t been there for a long, long time.

Fox was in a win or else situation, but Pace had drafted for the future. We expected Fox to remain his frustratingly conservative self. We had little faith that Loggains was going to prove a competent play caller. We wondered how much Fangio could get out of a young defense lacking any superstars.

On offense, Glennon was the starting QB, but it was just a matter of time before Trubisky took over. The receiving core was wafer thin even before Meredith was lost for the year. Everyone was wondering whether Cohen, a small guy from a small school, would even survive in the NFL let alone thrive. Long was going into the season without having his torn labrum repaired and we knew there was a lack of depth with Kush out for the year.

On defense, we didn’t know if Goldman’s injuries the year before were a one-off or a sign that he might struggle to stay healthy. We couldn’t be certain that Hicks would remain motivated after signing his big contract. We hoped rather than expected that Floyd, McPhee and our other edge rushers might actually stay healthy for a change. We speculated as to whether Fuller could prove he was a quality starter after missing the whole of the previous year and seemingly annoying the coaching staff, especially as they’d brought in Cooper and Amukamara. We were concerned that Jackson had missed much of his senior year in college with a broken leg and even more worried about his tackling ability. We thought Amos’s progress had stalled and he’d lost his starting spot.

This year it’s very different. We have an energised franchise and an energised fan base.

We have both coaching and playing continuity on a top 10 defense, with most of the players under contract for several seasons to come. It’s packed with young players who have proven to be at least solid and who may have not yet reached their ceilings. To that has been added an elite pass rusher in Mack and a number 8 draft pick in Smith. Far from worrying about this defense, we have legitimate reason to expect it to be even better than last year.

On offense, the coaching staff has been completely overhauled with an intriguing combination of Nagy calling the plays with input from Helfrich and his RPO expertise. The o-line is returning 4 out of 5 starters and the other, Kush, has proved competent in the past when filling in for the now departed Sitton. Daniels, a 20 year-old second-round draft pick, is already being groomed as his eventual replacement. Their position coach, Hiestand, is arguably the best in the business and just saw two of his college players drafted in the top 10.

The receiving core has been completely revamped and is now led by Robinson who is only a couple of seasons removed from putting up 1400 yards with Blake Bortles throwing him the ball! That's only 234 yards less than the all the Bears' WRs managed last year between them. We’ve seen what sort of contribution Gabriel made with the Chiefs and second round pick Miller has been drawing rave reviews since he walked through the door. Even the depth looks good, with White actually remaining upright so far and seventh round pick Wims leading the league in catches and yards during the preseason. They may be unproven as a group, but it’s hard to argue that they’re not light years better than last season’s sorry bunch. The TE depth looks very good too and Cohen proved last year that he is a threat any time they can get him in open space with the ball in his hands.

As for the most important member of the team, what a different situation Mitch Trubisky finds himself in. Last offseason and preseason, Mike Glennon was the one getting most of the reps and was focused on his own success. This year Trubisky’s got those valuable reps and has been surrounded by QBs whose sole job is to help him learn. He’s no longer shackled by ultra-conservatism, drilled to avoid turnovers at all costs. Instead he’s been encouraged to take some risks. Whereas last year there was a relentless focus was on Trubisky learning to play under center, Nagy’s scheme plays to Trubisky’s experience operating from the shotgun. Nagy’s offense spreads the field, so there should be no more ploughing Howard, who also excels from shotgun formations, into 8 and 9 man fronts on a regular basis. Howard’s already proven himself as a ball carrier, despite being criminally underrated by the general NFL media, and there’s every reason to believe he will surpass the high-level of output he produced in his first two seasons. A strong running game will aid Trubisky no end, he’ll be throwing to a much-improved receiving core and protected by an experienced offensive line.

As of right now, it is hard to see any significant weakness on this team. They’ve even made it to the start of the season with barely any notable injuries. The only real negatives have been Smith’s ridiculously long holdout and Shaheen’s unfortunate injury. If the injuries don’t pile up then this team could be very, very good and they should only get stronger as the season progresses.

Another great read. :toast:
jamus34
Journeyman

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:After so many years of disappointed I, like many, swore that I would never again let myself get excited about a season before I’d seen a few games to gauge the team’s quality.

But…

Kicker maybe...

That said the proof is in the pudding...

4 sacks, a fumble recovery and a Pick 6.

Plus a QB who is throwing at a 77% completion rate.
tjs
Journeyman

Drink up erybody
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Last orders gentlemen
Have a great day
G08
Hall of Famer

Yeah.... yeah.
Bearfacts
MVP

Chug no more.....unless it's hemlock kool-aid. LOL

Seriously, there were some positives but being as realistic and in the now as I can I have to say that 1) I am sick and tired of watching this team get out coached for the last ten years or so every time we play GB and Rodgers, and 2) I also worn out from watching us beat ourselves with mistakes and poor execution. Both seem like an incurable disease no matter who the HC is.

I truly lost count of the sheer number of fuck ups we had which stopped drives short or cost us points on both ends culminating with those last two GB TDs. Rodgers abused Amukamara for a 50 yard gain and then a TD. Then Fuller fails to simply catch the ball and cover instead of taking off for glory before he secures it and Jackson didn't figure out that as a FS you can't let your cover get behind you and fail to both deflect the pass or make the stop after the reception.

That's almost as bad as Fuller's drop.

Rodgers is a great QB but both of those TDs were gifts as was Fuller's drop. You can't beat Rodgers by allowing him to go 70-75 yards in just one or two plays yet we do this every time we play him regardless of whose running the show. If he has momentum and running a hurry up offense call a fucking time out if you have to adjust and change up personnel or at least huddle around what you're gonna do to break up that momentum. We did neither and lost.

To be totally honest. Today I'm as upset with our game day coaching as I've ever been. Same old street. Same old potholes.
G08
Hall of Famer

Well... this aged well

LOVE ME SOME CROW
wab
Mod

Davantesghost wrote:
G08 wrote:
Davantesghost wrote:
Lol.

Yea, that worked out great for you last time..
I don't miss this guy, that's for sure.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I am on record as being probably the first Kool Aid drinker, as usual
Boris13c wrote:
G08 wrote:Am I the only one not chugging the Kool-Aid?
maybe not the only one but probably in the minority

G08 wrote:Don't get me wrong -- I'm not judging or complaining about those who have busted out the beer bongs -- but I have been wondering what the hell has been wrong with me lately. Today it hit me...

The last time I was excited about an offensive head coach, it was Marc Trestman. Sure, I got to enjoy the #2 scoring offense in the NFL his first season, but we still managed to not make the playoffs due to Aaron Rodgers gutting us.

Looking even further back... I was so sure that Jay Cuter was the missing piece to our (at the time) elite defense that I was foaming at the mouth waiting for the 2009 season to start. Anyone remember that game?

That's right... Sunday Night Football, at Green Bay. Colossal letdown.
all valid

but that shit changes on Sunday Night Sep 9 2018

G08 wrote:Fast forward to now and it's like both those fucking scenarios met at a bar, got hammered, banged and out came the 2018 football season. I can't tell you the last time we've had this much (potential) talent on the offensive side of the ball fused with a head coach that is coming from what I consider to be the most exciting brand of offensive football. Combine that with a (franchise?) QB who is beloved by his teammates and coaches/ownership and you have a recipe for something special. Then we add Khalil Mack in a blockbuster trade and you have visions of an already top 10 defense moving up to elite status.

Oh, and we get to open on Sunday Night Football, at Green Bay. I know I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much, but I have to be honest in that it fucking sucks. I miss feeling the adrenaline coursing through my veins and being so restless and pissed off that today is only Wednesday.

Am I alone here? Does anyone else feel different about this season than year's past? Have I become a jaded Bears fan that demands that they "prove it first" before they get to earn my passion?
as I admitted previously, I am an historic Kool Aid abuser ... year after year I find reasons to talk myself into anticipation and hope only to be disappointed with reality by game 10

but THIS year IS going to be different

I see a nice collection of new parts that are going to mesh into something very good in the near or immediate future rather than in years past where they would acquire maybe a part or 2 and try to fool themselves into thinking they are only that 1 guy away from success (see John Fox's tenure ... and his refusal to utilize his bench)

you are justified in being jaded

but I welcome you to curb that and take at least a sip

come on ... you know you wanna :D

DRINK UP BITCHES!

you've got some catching up to do

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin