The Most Fascinating Player - Week 1

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bearfacts
MVP

This guy missed his calling. He should be doing ShamWow Infomercials. :rofl:

Personally I think he's overselling it so I'm not buying.

It's true Pace has invested greatly in surrounding Mitch with both coaching and player talent and why? Could it be because we failed to do that with the last guy we believed could be our franchise QB? Is it possible that at long last the Bears have finally figured QBs need to be developed and helped in that development? Duh.....it's about time.

Pace didn't just invest in one or two year deals. These additions signed up for the long haul and IMHO most of the pressure on Mitch will be self induced. It's his team now and he wants to win now so I think he'll go about that accordingly but he also shows a lot of maturity for a second year QB whose been handed the keys to his offense.

The best guess is the Bears may go 8-8 this year give a game or two above or below that and that will depend as much on our overall health as it does on Mitch's play. Only if we fall below 6-10 would most see 2019 as a disappointment. I don't think that will happen. I believe 7-10 wins is more likely than 5 or 6.

So while I agree about the fascination part I'm more fascinated by what the entire team will do. Not just Mitch. McMahon's best year as a Bears QB was not 1985. It was the year before that. In '85 his QBR was only 82.6, his completion rate just 56.9%, and he threw 11 picks vs 15 tds. Mitch only needs to have a good year, not his best.

JMHO
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

That dude is annoying.

Just an FYI to that guy. High pressure, and coming through in the clutch...is how people like Mitch Trubisky got to be where they are now. He lives for these moments. All that pressure you're trying to heap on him. He has already identified, and dealt with a long time ago.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I've heard others bring up Dak Prescott as a comparison. OL filled with #1s, Zeke Elliot, Jason Witten and Dez Bryant. Defense had some pass rushers. And Prescott looked like a good player as a rookie with those guys around him, even if he has faded some since then. The point is that Trubisky has a lot Lot LOT of help now and will certainly benefit from that. And if he truly has the talent to be a quality NFL QB which is unproven right now, he is in a position to blossom in a big way. I think Schrager's point is legitimate, even if he is annoying.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bearfacts
MVP

Well there are a whole lot of annoying media types and YouTubers and bloggers so he fits right in.

Prescott faded a bit because some of his talent was lost and also because as Aaron Rodgers indicated a young QBs second year as a starter can often be his toughest because teams have more game tape on him and know his tendencies.

Mitch may avoid this because nothing he did in Fox's offense will look much like this offense and Nagy has been very cagey throughout the preseason as far as showing off very little of it and almost none with Mitch behind center.

How that will play out over the season we don't know but I figure it will give them a slight advantage tomorrow night at least on offense and uncertainty about how Mack and Smith will be used and how much will on defense.

I'm not really expecting a sophomore slump out of Mitch mainly because he really didn't have much of a initial season. Fox had him and Loggains so handcuffed I know I don't have a true read on him yet and I doubt many others do either.

We'll see how it goes but at the very least with a strong run game, some vet receivers with talent, and an ass kicking defense he doesn't have to carry the team just execute what he can do well and not turn the ball over much.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

From the moment he traded up one spot to ensure he got him to giving up all that money and draft capital for Mack, Pace has clearly been all in on Trubisky.

Given how everybody feels about the rest of the squad Pace has put together, it seems to me we should be putting a lot of faith in Pace’s judgement.

Gregg Rosenthal may have Trubisky rated 29nd in his list of 32 week one QBs, below the likes of Mahomes (22nd) who was coached up by Nagy last year and has just one start under his belt and Darnold (27th) who has yet to play a regular season game, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Trubisky will really surprise all these naysayers.

They seem to be basing so much of their expectations of Trubisky on his uninspiring figures from last season, completely overlooking the fact that many analysts considered him the best QB prospect prior to last year’s draft and largely ignoring the awful situation he found himself in as a rookie.

He enters this season with:

- A full offseason and preseason where he was the number one, with all the focus and reps that come with that instead of limited opportunities while another guy was being groomed to start.

- A young, dynamic coach (& playcaller) instead of an ultra-conservative one.

- An offensive scheme that emphasises his strengths and experience, notably playing from the shotgun and throwing on the move, rather than one focused on him learning to play under center and not taking any risks.

- An offensive scheme that suits the strengths of his running backs, one that will spread defenses out and won’t see Howard running into 8 and 9 man fronts and will see Cohen used in multiple creative ways.

- A vastly improved receiving corps.

- An offensive line coached by arguably the best in the business.

- 12 NFL starts under his belt.

I saw enough from Trubisky last year to see why Pace picked him despite the lacklustre numbers. Despite my instinctive caution about anything relating to this team, following so many years of disappointments, I have high hopes for him, I really do.
Bearfacts
MVP

:toast: Nice analysis HRS!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Thanks Bearfacts.

Another point worth considering, the general consensus was that the 2017 QB draft class was weak and yet a few weeks into the season pundits were raving about the performances of Watson, even going as far as to talk about him as a potential MVP prior to his injury. This season they're already lauding Mahomes based on his single start last season and the fact that he threw the ball 70 yards through the air during this year's preseason.

Yet despite many of these same people arguing before the draft that Trubisky was the best of a bad bunch, and the huge leaps taken by second year QBs Wentz and Goff last year, he is getting no positive comments heading into Year 2.
Last edited by HisRoyalSweetness on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Listening to the NFL net and they keep saying Watson is the Michael Jordan of the NFL LOL... Talk about over hyping a player to compare him to the arguably the best NBA player of all time after 6 games played in the NFL. I liked both Mitch and Watson but I wanted Mitch over Watson because Watson reminded me of RG3 (but a better passer) but those types of QBs usually struggle with injuries and low and behold he got injured.

I watched every game Mitch played in college and he had a knack of winning in tough situations like coming in cold in the 4th and leading the team to a score (multiple times). We as Bear fans can all agree that the system and players last year were terrible... With all the changes this off season to highlight what Mitch did so well in college he should do great. It will be fascinating as fans to watch him grow this year.

On a side note... watching all the pre game stuff how does Irving have a spot on TV? The guys so annoying and just yells non stop. It's taking 9 months of excitement just to keep me listening to this guy.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”