Packers fan here to admit: the better team lost.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

This game reminded me of the Bears Cardinals game where the Bears had no business winning that game.
Pagan
MVP

This Bears front 7 {with R. Smith starting} is Beast!
docc
Head Coach

onionsack wrote:Imagine you must be feeling pretty devastated after that but: as someone who suffered through some long decades of Packer incompetence, I know light at the end of the tunnel when I see it. And the Bears are about all the way through theirs. One unfortunate drop by Fuller and it's a W. We had no answer for Mack before he was gassed. Trubisky is young, will learn from this, and improve. You're going to take down a LOT of really good teams this season - probably ours when we meet again. Not going to wish you luck because, on this evidence, that's all that's standing in the way of you owning the division..
Class..
I agree..Packers are a developed team with years together in a system.. I liked a lot..
Knuckles
Player of the Month

onionsack wrote:Imagine you must be feeling pretty devastated after that but: as someone who suffered through some long decades of Packer incompetence, I know light at the end of the tunnel when I see it. And the Bears are about all the way through theirs. One unfortunate drop by Fuller and it's a W. We had no answer for Mack before he was gassed. Trubisky is young, will learn from this, and improve. You're going to take down a LOT of really good teams this season - probably ours when we meet again. Not going to wish you luck because, on this evidence, that's all that's standing in the way of you owning the division..
Thanks for the kind words! It was one hell of a game and fun to watch. I'm torn, of coarse I would've loved a win but I saw a young team look like a contender for 1/2 of the game. That's exciting to see and this will be a fun match up later in the year when hopefully the Bears are more conditioned and all on the same page. The bar's set at playing a Rodgers led Packers team and the Bears are close.

Good luck the rest of the season!
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Look for more QBs/teams to keep up the quick passing game in the future. The D will continue to be strong, especially when Smith and Mack are up to speed.

Nagy will realize it is OK to run the ball more as well, I hope.
If teams try and go to a quick passing game against the Bears, shouldn't the DB's be up in press coverage, jamming the WR's at the line? I didn't see that AT ALL last night.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

bearsfaninaz wrote:This game reminded me of the Bears Cardinals game where the Bears had no business winning that game.
Thist is exactly what I thought as the game wound down last night.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I didn't either, that was disappointing. Good adjustment by the Pack. I think Fangio just wanted to keep everything in front of the secondary, ala the Cover 2, prevent a win strategy. It is effing Rodgers, he can get the job done.
G08
Hall of Famer

Wow... appreciate that, man. Rodgers is the GOAT and he did to us what he has been doing to us for his entire career.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bearfacts
MVP

Otis Day wrote:I didn't either, that was disappointing. Good adjustment by the Pack. I think Fangio just wanted to keep everything in front of the secondary, ala the Cover 2, prevent a win strategy. It is effing Rodgers, he can get the job done.
And that has failed to stop Rodgers so many times it's amazing to me Fangio would even try. The only explanation I can offer is that neither Amukamara or Fuller play well with their back to the QB in man coverage. Fuller was peeking when Allison put a burst on and got a step on him and Adams made Amukamara look silly on that long gainer before his TD catch.

Then as if that's not bad enough on the next series he's 10 yards off Adams in the red zone and backpedals off the snap giving Adams not only an uncontested catch but acres of room to run after it. Those were two examples of some of the worst coverage I saw all night and they resulted in an easy score. You gotta make a team earn those points and we didn't, period.

I hope that's the end of Amukamara's ten interception boast. Just STFU and learn to cover first.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Wow... appreciate that, man. Rodgers is the GOAT and he did to us what he has been doing to us for his entire career.
Fucking Aaron Rodgers man. I knew as soon as he dropped that dime in the end zone, that we were going to lose that game. Offensive PI or not, that was a brilliant throw off of one leg, 55 yards in the air. Just fucking unbelievable.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
Fucking Aaron Rodgers man. I knew as soon as he dropped that dime in the end zone, that we were going to lose that game. Offensive PI or not, that was a brilliant throw off of one leg, 55 yards in the air. Just fucking unbelievable.
If you're a masochist like I am when it comes to this fucking team, go back and watch the replay angle of the throw. Kyle Fuller misses breaking it up by a literal inch. Rodgers is the best.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Umbali
MVP

I feel like I have no words. I almost laid in the fetal position last night when the game was over. Being fat kept me from curling up that much lol.

I hate that I could see the result coming...even as it was on its way. I was telling my father in law....here we go again..I have seen this ending...

I do understand this is a learning curve. I do get that it takes time. This game however should have been won.

I dont understand a lot of the offensive play calling in the 4th Quarter. I dont understand all of a sudden Mitch being scared to throw.

I dunno. In most cases I would have expected a loss, but seeing as how we had that game in hand and gave it away, just devastates me.

I do however appreciate the sentiment by the OP. Thank you. That was classy.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
If you're a masochist like I am when it comes to this fucking team, go back and watch the replay angle of the throw. Kyle Fuller misses breaking it up by a literal inch. Rodgers is the best.
Oh, I've watched it MULTIPLE times. It was a brilliant throw in every sense of the word. However I balance out my masochism by watching the Mack pick six over and over.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
He got some push off that left leg. The pass to fucking Geronimo Allison!! WR 3 in that O.
Bearfacts
MVP

I copied this response from another site only because I'm in complete agreement with the poster relative to the two 3rd down plays he analyzes the first being that ridiculous cross field pass to Sims who couldn't even manage to be certain he was at least one yard beyond LOS when he caught the ball. If I recall we ran that same play several years ago and it was picked and returned for a score. Gadget plays like that we don't need. Shame on Nagy.

But the second and far more important one was 3rd and 2 from GB's 14 yard line. I could not have analyzed it any better than this fan does so I'll let it speak for itself and only say his point is the same one I've made to several friends. A FG was useless at the point. A TD beats us anyway and did but a FG would only force a tie and OT.

Surely we could have gained 2 yards in 2 running downs while keeping the clock running down to 2 minutes on the first try and run down under 2 minutes on the second. Even if we fail GB gets the ball with 87 yards to go for a win and at least 50 to be in solid FG range with under 2 minutes to play, no timeouts, and the clock is running with the snap. And they have to do this from deep in their own zone.

Nagy's lack of situational awareness and use of his best strategy to put pressure on GB is weak and so mind boggling it's like dipping into John Fox territory again. So yes, Nagy deserves major criticism for this loss. Read on.

I agree with the writer that Nagy deserves the criticism. I know one play or two play does not make the ball game but their are two particular plays that stand out to me and the playcalling was horrible. Both 3 and short opportunities in the 4th quarter were the Bears got "cute" instead of being smart.

First, the 3rd and 1 from near midfield, after Jordan Howard got 9 yards on 2 carries and Nagy calls the "sucker" play in which Trubisky completed a pass to Sims for No Gain. Again bad play all around. Ridiculous that Sims doesn't have any idea where the sticks are but I kind of expect it out of him as he has done next to nothing since we signed him. We failed to get the 1st down and punted.

But Nagy learned absolutely nothing from that play and later in the 4th quarter the Bears had the ball 3rd and 2 from the 14 yard line leading the Packers 23-20. Now to reset the situation Jordan Howard had just gained 12 yards on the last 2 carries and when he got up he was pumped up and clearly wanted the ball on 3rd down. Green Bay used their 3rd and final timeout after the play. So 3rd and 2 is the situation and anybody that knows football knows...4th quarter with a lead and no timeouts for your opponent-"KEEP THE CLOCK RUNNING!!!" Instead Nagy got cute with the play call. The Bears had 1TE, 1 RB (not Howard), and 3 Wide Recievers and ran a bootleg right and the Pass fell incomplete and the clock was stopped. The Bears settled for a field goal and a 6 point lead.

Now I realize players make plays and their are several that Bears players didn't make that could have changed the the outcome of the game (see Kyle Fuller's drop of a sure interception) but those two play calls where 2 that Nagy really got me scratching my head. Hindsight is 2020 and everybody thinks they could do better. But as I watched the game a Buddy asked me in both instances "What would you do?" Of course I run it on the first third down. Maybe Howard, or Maybe a Jet sweep which we set up all night with Anthony Miller in motion. If the Bears get the first great if not we punted anyway.

But on the second 3rd down with under 3 minutes left. I said run it again to Howard and let the clock run down to what would have been the 2 minute warning. If we fail on 3rd down. GO FOR IT ON 4TH!!!. My friend said really... Go for it on 4th. I said absolutely... A field goal gives us a 6 point lead but a touchdown and extra point beats us. If we fail to get the tag but 1st. 2 yards on two plays. We give Green Bay the ball with under 2 minutes from inside the 20. A field goal does the the game but at least it changes our chances of winning because it changes the playcalling and we may have to play overtime but the chances of winning increase with that playcalling in that situation.

Nagy was introduced as the Bears head coach and he repeatedly said he was going to be agressive.... He may be confused about the definition because to me, Being Creative and Cute is not my definition for being Agressive. Being Agressive is being Tough and Determined.

The Tale of Two Halves of Football... A+ % for the first and an F for the the Last.
malk
Head Coach

My only disagreement with the above is if the game goes to overtime there's no way we win so that gives a tiny upside to kicking the field goal.

But 2 chances for 2 yards for a 1st down and a win. Even if it fails you've run a bunch off the clock and they've got to start from inside their 20. Maybe Rodgers still makes it but their playcalling is more limited and it gives our defence more options. Football isn't just by the numbers but in that case the numbers indicate that we more often than not get 2 yards from 2 plays AND the flow of the game points to a field goal not being enough.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

I don’t believe that the Bears were the “better” team in this game. The better team does not get complacent after getting a big lead. The better team does not fail to make adjustments when a scheme is not working.

There is plenty of blame to go around for this game, from the players to the coaching staff. Hopefully we can learn something from this going forward.
Bearfacts
MVP

malk wrote:My only disagreement with the above is if the game goes to overtime there's no way we win so that gives a tiny upside to kicking the field goal.

But 2 chances for 2 yards for a 1st down and a win. Even if it fails you've run a bunch off the clock and they've got to start from inside their 20. Maybe Rodgers still makes it but their playcalling is more limited and it gives our defence more options. Football isn't just by the numbers but in that case the numbers indicate that we more often than not get 2 yards from 2 plays AND the flow of the game points to a field goal not being enough.
I wouldn't say we had no chance of winning in OT but with momentum Rodgers had built they would have to be favored. But it still takes a TD. If they receive and we hold them to a FG we get a shot to score as well.

But I think the whole point here is THIS is where Nagy SHOULD have played not to lose. Three points was useless if they can score and not only weren't we stopping them but we gave them a minute more time to do it even if we tried twice and failed. They'd have had less than 2 minutes to go 87 yards to score and 50 yards to get into FG range and then Crosby still has to make it to tie. That really would have changed their decision making too.

Third and two with a tough inside runner against worn down defense or a quick pitch to Cohen whose quicker and more elusive than any one defender and we have two shots at it? Jeezus I hope if that situation ever comes up again Nagy does the exact opposite of what he did do. When GB called their last time out he, his OC, and Trubisky should have been discussing all of the possibilities and I think they did not.

Mitch is still too young to fight for his side and Helfrich isn't the play caller. Was he even on the sidelines or was he in the booth? I realize the game is over if Fuller had looked that ball in and secured it before thinking 6 points but there's a real good chance that play never takes place had we gone for it. I'm sure McCarthy and Rodgers were very happy we didn't.
malk
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote:
malk wrote:My only disagreement with the above is if the game goes to overtime there's no way we win so that gives a tiny upside to kicking the field goal.

I wouldn't say we had no chance of winning in OT but with momentum Rodgers had built they would have to be favored. But it still takes a TD. If they receive and we hold them to a FG we get a shot to score as well.

But I think the whole point here is THIS is where Nagy SHOULD have played not to lose. Three points was useless if they can score and not only weren't we stopping them but we gave them a minute more time to do it even if we tried twice and failed. They'd have had less than 2 minutes to go 87 yards to score and 50 yards to get into FG range and then Crosby still has to make it to tie. That really would have changed their decision making too.

Third and two with a tough inside runner against worn down defense or a quick pitch to Cohen whose quicker and more elusive than any one defender and we have two shots at it? Jeezus I hope if that situation ever comes up again Nagy does the exact opposite of what he did do. When GB called their last time out he, his OC, and Trubisky should have been discussing all of the possibilities and I think they did not.

Mitch is still too young to fight for his side and Helfrich isn't the play caller. Was he even on the sidelines or was he in the booth? I realize the game is over if Fuller had looked that ball in and secured it before thinking 6 points but there's a real good chance that play never takes place had we gone for it. I'm sure McCarthy and Rodgers were very happy we didn't.
Oh I'm with you. The other part of this is that it's 4 down territory for the Packers at that point. We couldn't stop Rodgers on the previous two drives with 3 downs, what where the odds of doing so with 4.

Yes Nagy needs to have the confidence in his system but he also needs to know what we have on this team and the confidence to use Howard.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Funny thing about the 3rd a 2 play at the end of the game... I see this sort of shit around the league. Watching the Rams game tonight for instance. Several times toward the end of the game (with the rams leading) I saw them pass it when the needed 2yards on second and 3rd downs. I really don't get this when you have show the ability to run the ball well with an elite RB. When up points (10pts in rams game) 3-5mins left? Incomplete passes stop the clock.

Some of these coaches outsmart themselves.

It's frustrating as a fan to watch. I never can make reason for it. It's basic football. If it fails to pick up the first? You just ran off valuable time off the clock for your opponent.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It's frustrating as a fan to watch. I never can make reason for it. It's basic football. If it fails to pick up the first? You just ran off valuable time off the clock for your opponent.
That's the thing, it is not basic football for most coaches anymore. The pass is basic football for a lot of coaches anymore. I hate it as well. It is like "new" football
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

46Blitz wrote:Funny thing about the 3rd a 2 play at the end of the game... I see this sort of shit around the league. Watching the Rams game tonight for instance. Several times toward the end of the game (with the rams leading) I saw them pass it when the needed 2yards on second and 3rd downs. I really don't get this when you have show the ability to run the ball well with an elite RB. When up points (10pts in rams game) 3-5mins left? Incomplete passes stop the clock.

I completely agree with the above assessment of both 3rd downs. You have a stout OL, and a RB that is averaging 5 yards a carry. Run the fucking ball. For all of his failures at C, Whitehair is a great run blocker, and so is Kyle Long. More often than not, you are going to gain a yard or two running behind that pair. Hopefully Nagy figures that out.
Richie
MVP

I would have gone for it on 4th down. You have a better chance of picking up a yard than you do stopping Rodgers with the game on the line.

Hated not running with Howard on that 3rd and 1. It made no sense to me.

GB's D was tired, Howard had just broken a tackle for a 12 yard gain... I'd bet a lot that he gets a yard. Then we kneel 3 times and adios.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
46Blitz wrote:Funny thing about the 3rd a 2 play at the end of the game... I see this sort of shit around the league. Watching the Rams game tonight for instance. Several times toward the end of the game (with the rams leading) I saw them pass it when the needed 2yards on second and 3rd downs. I really don't get this when you have show the ability to run the ball well with an elite RB. When up points (10pts in rams game) 3-5mins left? Incomplete passes stop the clock.

I completely agree with the above assessment of both 3rd downs. You have a stout OL, and a RB that is averaging 5 yards a carry. Run the fucking ball. For all of his failures at C, Whitehair is a great run blocker, and so is Kyle Long. More often than not, you are going to gain a yard or two running behind that pair. Hopefully Nagy figures that out.
To be fair, we got stuffed more than a couple times, including on 3rd and short. Kush was getting beaten, as was Whitehair.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

To be fair, we got stuffed more than a couple times, including on 3rd and short. Kush was getting beaten, as was Whitehair.

but if you are going to throw on 3rd and 1, especially on a drive you must keep going, then you must throw the ball to a receiver smart enough to go beyond the line to make and come back for the ball to get separation and still be able to get the 1st down

Sims caught the ball well short of the line to go with his momentum going horizontal to the line of scrimmage, meaning it had no chance of success ... meaning he was the wrong receiver to be involved in that play
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bearfacts
MVP

malk wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:

Oh I'm with you. The other part of this is that it's 4 down territory for the Packers at that point. We couldn't stop Rodgers on the previous two drives with 3 downs, what where the odds of doing so with 4.

Yes Nagy needs to have the confidence in his system but he also needs to know what we have on this team and the confidence to use Howard.
I think he finally admitted to some of that yesterday but remained silent on that 3rd and 2 decision which most (media and knowledgeable posters in forums) feel was his biggest mistake.

We had a 6 point lead so from a coaching perspective this is when you play not to lose and he neglected to understand that concept and use it. By taking 3 useless points he now gives Rodgers the ball back on his 25 yard line with just under 3 minutes remaining and a 2 minute warning to sub as a timeout he didn't have.

Even a failure to make the 1st down burns another minute or so off the clocks and Rodgers starts around his own 12-13 yard line with no timeouts and no 2 minute warning. Even if they got close and didn't score they'd have had to burn one clock play to get their FG unit out. So he'd have only two downs and clock play once it got down to the end. Not going for it was a real gift.

I also blame both Fuller and Jackson on defense for having made the same mistakes and Ed Donatell confirmed this. Jackson needed to stay on to of his man but failed to do it. You're ahead so play the man first. In Fuller case he saw 6 points we didn't need and failed to look the ball in and secure it.

We had the game won already. All we had to do was not lose it and both strategically and in execution we failed to do that. Now it's time to admit that. Fix it and not have to go through that experience again.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I almost vomited when Fuller dropped that game clincher that hit him right in the hands ... yeah, give Rodgers a do-over to beat you and he will do just that more times than not
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bearfacts
MVP

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

And that's OK although at that point WE had momentum running the ball with Howard, their D was getting gassed, and we had two downs to make 2 yard not 1 down.

It's a time management deal at that point because we had a 3 point lead. One running play takes us to the 2 minute warning and takes it away from them when they had no timeouts remaining. The second running play even if it fails takes even more time off the clock while they spot the ball and determine whether we converted or not.

The clock is running through all of this and won't be stopped 'til they either call for a measurement or the ball goes over on downs. Now Rodgers has the ball around his 12 yard line. Far less than two minute to at least get in FG range and no timeouts. Just taking another minute off the clock and putting him on his own 12 instead of his 25 changes their approach.

I'll just sum up by saying I think Nagy needs to consider something for the future.

Is it possible that his constant focus on play calling is distracting from his situational awareness and game strategy?

IMHO the possibility calling two running plays to burn up clock time should have been discussed and considered.

Was it?
Bearsmight
Journeyman

The better team WON period! Good teams find a way to win just as bad or mediocre teams find a way to lose. The Bears had an excellent first half and they stopped there. The Packers made play after play on both sides of the ball in the second half. Had the Bears made just a play or two in the second half they win the game. A better team would have made those plays. We will all know when the Bears are the better team. They will start winning consistently and make the playoffs more than 7 times in 30 seasons.
Bearfacts
MVP

Bearsmight wrote:The better team WON period! Good teams find a way to win just as bad or mediocre teams find a way to lose. The Bears had an excellent first half and they stopped there. The Packers made play after play on both sides of the ball in the second half. Had the Bears made just a play or two in the second half they win the game. A better team would have made those plays. We will all know when the Bears are the better team. They will start winning consistently and make the playoffs more than 7 times in 30 seasons.
Good point. Having the better personnel on paper doesn't make you the better team on the field.

Still, Rodgers at QB is probably half that team. Take him out of the mix and neither team is any better than a .500 right now. I do believe across the board we do have better personnel but they also need to show it during games and on Sunday they didn't.