OT Leno and Massie Score Well Week One

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bearfacts
MVP

It would appear that at least for now Harry Hiestand's coaching is paying dividends.

https://beargoggleson.com/2018/09/11/ch ... ne-praise/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charles Leno and Bobby Massie were graded out highly in their 2018 season debuts with the Chicago Bears

According to Pro Football Focus, Charles Leno and Bobby Leno were two of the ten best tackles in Week One.

Left tackle Charles Leno was the second highest graded tackle of the week, with an 83.7 grade. He ranked second as a pass protector, and third as a run protector.

For Massie, a 73 grade that ranked ninth overall this week. Massie was average as a run blocker but excelled in pass protection. This is an exceptional note, as Massie much more than Leno brought serious questions to this group.

However, the offensive line does not walk away from this game scotch free. While Kyle Long had a great welcome back game, it was Cody Whitehair and Eric Kush letting the group down.

Whitehair had a snap issue or two, but also graded below average in the run and passing game by PFF metrics. Eric Kush finished 45th in the guard grading scale. It will be interesting what the team will do with Kush moving forward. If only there were a second-round rookie on the roster who could help at center or guard.
G08
Hall of Famer

Kush should be depth, but if Hiestand and friends don't think Daniels is ready to play OC and kick Whitehair over to LG, so be it.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

I begrudgingly admit that Leno played really and this offense may be a perfect fit for him. But I thought Massie was beaten easily and helped by Mitch moving around a lot.
Bearfacts
MVP

I guess we'll see how this goes but I'm beginning to feel this OG/OC deal is looking a lot like Glennon vs Trubisky at QB last season. Cody Whitehair continues to struggle at OC due to his inability to make consistent shotgun snaps and IMHO Kush is only a mid grade OL whose best spot is backing up at OC and both OG spots.

We know from past experience Whitehair can be an excellent blocker but it's also quite possible his struggles making accurate snaps is both distracting him and detracting from his play. Once again he made a high snap Mitch had to jump for and barely snagged it ruining the timing of a key running play. That can't continue.

I'm not sure what their thinking is here other than a desire for Daniels to add a bit of weight and functional strength but he's the more natural OC having played there in college while Cody is more of a natural OG having played OT and OG in college. It's getting tougher for me to accept that we're playing our 5 best at their optimum positions.

What do you all think.
wab
Mod

Bearfacts wrote:I guess we'll see how this goes but I'm beginning to feel this OG/OC deal is looking a lot like Glennon vs Trubisky at QB last season. Cody Whitehair continues to struggle at OC due to his inability to make consistent shotgun snaps and IMHO Kush is only a mid grade OL whose best spot is backing up at OC and both OG spots.

We know from past experience Whitehair can be an excellent blocker but it's also quite possible his struggles making accurate snaps is both distracting him and detracting from his play. Once again he made a high snap Mitch had to jump for and barely snagged it ruining the timing of a key running play. That can't continue.

I'm not sure what their thinking is here other than a desire for Daniels to add a bit of weight and functional strength but he's the more natural OC having played there in college while Cody is more of a natural OG having played OT and OG in college. It's getting tougher for me to accept that we're playing our 5 best at their optimum positions.

What do you all think.
I think Daniels is very comfortable snapping in the shotgun, as evidenced by his time in college. I think Mitch is more comfortable in the shotgun. I think the timing of every screen or short crossing route they ran amidst GB's comeback was disrupted by high shotgun snaps. I think Cody Whitehair is a guard, but that the coaching staff may be worried about throwing a 20 year old kid into the middle of the line and disrupting whatever chemistry they think they have.

Also, if they are worried that Daniels can't make the line calls, I think that Whitehair can do it from guard just like Slausen did.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I begrudgingly admit that Leno played really and this offense may be a perfect fit for him. But I thought Massie was beaten easily and helped by Mitch moving around a lot.
Played really what?

Say it

SAY IT!

:lol:

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:I begrudgingly admit that Leno played really and this offense may be a perfect fit for him. But I thought Massie was beaten easily and helped by Mitch moving around a lot.
Played really what?

Say it

SAY IT!

Played really ... better than his 6'3 stature would indicate.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Played really what?

Say it

SAY IT!

Motherf....

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Played really what?

Say it

SAY IT!

Who would have thunk it?? WAB likes Charles Leno Jr. at LT!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Wab can't even type Leno and any sort of compliment. His hands won't let him. Laugh.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote:It would appear that at least for now Harry Hiestand's coaching is paying dividends.

https://beargoggleson.com/2018/09/11/ch ... ne-praise/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charles Leno and Bobby Massie were graded out highly in their 2018 season debuts with the Chicago Bears

According to Pro Football Focus, Charles Leno and Bobby Leno were two of the ten best tackles in Week One.

Left tackle Charles Leno was the second highest graded tackle of the week, with an 83.7 grade. He ranked second as a pass protector, and third as a run protector.

For Massie, a 73 grade that ranked ninth overall this week. Massie was average as a run blocker but excelled in pass protection. This is an exceptional note, as Massie much more than Leno brought serious questions to this group.

However, the offensive line does not walk away from this game scotch free. While Kyle Long had a great welcome back game, it was Cody Whitehair and Eric Kush letting the group down.

Whitehair had a snap issue or two, but also graded below average in the run and passing game by PFF metrics. Eric Kush finished 45th in the guard grading scale. It will be interesting what the team will do with Kush moving forward. If only there were a second-round rookie on the roster who could help at center or guard.
If they move Whitehair to LG and Daniels to C, that line instantly gets better. Like, by a lot.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Yeah... Leno and Massie played well. But the inside guys... Woof.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
cblaz11
MVP

Honestly, I watched the game again and I think the entire line played well. Obviously they aren’t going to win every snap but overall I think they all played well. That said, Whitehair had a rough 2nd half with snaps.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote:I guess we'll see how this goes but I'm beginning to feel this OG/OC deal is looking a lot like Glennon vs Trubisky at QB last season. Cody Whitehair continues to struggle at OC due to his inability to make consistent shotgun snaps and IMHO Kush is only a mid grade OL whose best spot is backing up at OC and both OG spots.

What do you all think.
I think what they're doing is utterly bizarre and the right positioning should have been clear to everyone back in April.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote:Honestly, I watched the game again and I think the entire line played well. Obviously they aren’t going to win every snap but overall I think they all played well. That said, Whitehair had a rough 2nd half with snaps.
He cost the Bears at least two plays with his poor snaps. That's two plays too many. Put Daniels at C, and keep it that way the rest of the year. Daniels is supposed to have been the C in the draft. Use him that way.
Bearfacts
MVP

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Played really what?

Say it

SAY IT!

:rofl:
Bearfacts
MVP

Moriarty wrote:

What do you all think.
I think what they're doing is utterly bizarre and the right positioning should have been clear to everyone back in April.
This is pretty much how I see it too. They drafted an OC then say but we're gonna play him at LG.

I've yet to hear an explanation that makes sense and had they stuck with Daniels at OC from the start he'd much much farther along in his development by now. Like it or not Whitehair's constant mishandling of shotgun snaps is forcing them into a change anyway.

This reminds me all too much of how they handled Trubisky last year first refusing to make him the #2 QB then being forced to start him when Glennon failed so badly without Mitch having had as much work as he needed. Why overthink it. Daniels is an OC. Play him there.
malk
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

What do you all think.
This is pretty much how I see it too. They drafted an OC then say but we're gonna play him at LG.

I've yet to hear an explanation that makes sense and had they stuck with Daniels at OC from the start he'd much much farther along in his development by now. Like it or not Whitehair's constant mishandling of shotgun snaps is forcing them into a change anyway.

This reminds me all too much of how they handled Trubisky last year first refusing to make him the #2 QB then being forced to start him when Glennon failed so badly without Mitch having had as much work as he needed. Why overthink it. Daniels is an OC. Play him there.
This overthinking is so incredibly frustrating. This year needs to be successful but it's still a rebuilding year. If we've got young players that need experience then, unless they're a liability, then they need to be on the damn field. I honestly don't care who is absolutely better between Kush and Daniels, unless Daniels is going to get Trubisky killed then get him on the bloody field.

If Trubisky wants Whitehair then tell him he's a 4-9 kid who can have input on personnel decisions when he'd had a winning season.

We did this last year with Shaheen. The season was quickly a bust so get the kid out and learning. 14 targets for a 2nd round TE in a wash of a season? Rebuilding isn't just about drafting, it's about playing the damn draft picks.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:It would appear that at least for now Harry Hiestand's coaching is paying dividends.

If they move Whitehair to LG and Daniels to C, that line instantly gets better. Like, by a lot.
Yeah, I still don't understand why we're not doing this.
Bearfacts
MVP

malk wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

What do you all think.

This overthinking is so incredibly frustrating. This year needs to be successful but it's still a rebuilding year. If we've got young players that need experience then, unless they're a liability, then they need to be on the damn field. I honestly don't care who is absolutely better between Kush and Daniels, unless Daniels is going to get Trubisky killed then get him on the bloody field.

If Trubisky wants Whitehair then tell him he's a 4-9 kid who can have input on personnel decisions when he'd had a winning season.

We did this last year with Shaheen. The season was quickly a bust so get the kid out and learning. 14 targets for a 2nd round TE in a wash of a season? Rebuilding isn't just about drafting, it's about playing the damn draft picks.

Shaheen in 2017 is another good example. When someone took the time to actually evaluate his play as a blocker he graded out nearly as high as Sims and as a receiver he was much better. Other than Sims guaranteed money I still can't find a reason he's even on this team or why Nagy sees value in him.

This is probably one personnel decision I disagree with the most. Other than as a pure blocker even Braunecker gives Mitch a better target in the passing game. Both of Sims screw ups Sunday resulted in failed 3rd down plays.

Trubisky's defense of Whitehair is worthless. IMHO Daniels will eventually become his OC so his on the job training might just as well begin now so that be year end he's entrenched himself at OC and Whitehair at LG for 2019.