Harry Hiestand Comments On Whitehairs Snaps

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

I saw where Eddie Jackson was asked why Daniels isn't playing and he indicated it's because James hasn't mastered the playbook yet. I'm not sure how Eddie would know that or if it's true, but it makes sense.

For years we've heard all about how important continuity is to the Oline, so as was said above I doubt we see a change unless because of injury. Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if Sowell takes over if one of the guards goes down.
Umbali
MVP

Bearfanuk wrote:I don’t see the bears making a change unless an injury forces them into it. The time for changing was in the summer;0 not when live bullets are flying at you. Injuries are never nice but sometime there exactly what you need. If Kuah were to go down then they would be forced into making a decision
I dont see them making a change at this point. It seems like the number one priority is to protect Mitch and if Daniels isnt ready to call out all the protections that protect Mitch, then they will put up with some errant snaps for a while.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
wab
Mod

Umbali wrote:
Bearfanuk wrote:I don’t see the bears making a change unless an injury forces them into it. The time for changing was in the summer;0 not when live bullets are flying at you. Injuries are never nice but sometime there exactly what you need. If Kuah were to go down then they would be forced into making a decision
I dont see them making a change at this point. It seems like the number one priority is to protect Mitch and if Daniels isnt ready to call out all the protections that protect Mitch, then they will put up with some errant snaps for a while.
Eh. Slausen made the calls from LG when Grasu was forced into action his rookie year.
Bearfacts
MVP

wab wrote:
Umbali wrote:
Eh. Slausen made the calls from LG when Grasu was forced into action his rookie year.
Yep, there different ways to go about this.

Cohension is important but Daniels did play quite a bit during preseason and one game in Long is already being rested due to ankle soreness. If Long misses any time it will force a change and I'd much rather see Daniels come in than Sowell.
wab
Mod

I don’t think Long has much left in him.
JMHJD2017
Rookie

Is bad snaps came at the worst moments. Gosh, twas annoying.
BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote:I don’t think Long has much left in him.
I’m starting to think that also. Kind of sad, he was one heck of a good player for a very short period of time.
malk
Head Coach

On the quality front, I looked back at that 2015 offensive line and we only gave up 33 sacks despite it being a pretty motley crew. Another reason to get the five with the most upside out...

For Long, I think there's a decent chance he can drop his in season practice time, get extra rest, and stay at this standard for a while longer.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:On the quality front, I looked back at that 2015 offensive line and we only gave up 33 sacks despite it being a pretty motley crew. Another reason to get the five with the most upside out...

For Long, I think there's a decent chance he can drop his in season practice time, get extra rest, and stay at this standard for a while longer.
I think Long can maintain if he doesn’t try to do anything too crazy. Honestly, a Kyle Long at 90% is the best option we have at RG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bearfacts
MVP

Kyle is a throwback kinda player. He's a warrior and will play through the "hurting" whenever he can.

He's signed through 2021 (age 32) for some very reasonable cap hits but if push came to shove he could be let go before the 2020 season with only $1.5 mil in dead cap if we've managed to draft and develop a potential replacement for him by then. Despite his injuries I'm still gonna say it's at least 50/50 he finishes out his contract.

As for Daniels I believe he'll be starting somewhere before the season is half way gone either due to injury or he will have earned it. How much longer they can ride on Whitehair's errant snaps I can't say but there's no question it's impacting the offense and at some of the most critical times. IMHO either he improves or he's replaced sooner than later.