Smith To Get More Snaps This Week

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

It just seems obvious that Smith should play the Jack. Let DT call the plays and be the more of a run stopper. Let Smith use his speed and run around. The odd thing is that we're starting two guy right now who seem better as Mikes than Jacks.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Middleguard
MVP

Bearfacts wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Trevethan needs to be the Mike. He's going to make all the calls for the defense. Smith has all the speed in the World to play sideline to sideline.
Those are my thoughts as well but after the draft and OTAs there was all this talk about Smith learning the defense and calling signals like he had at Georgia. It's been confusing so why I ask what others take on it is.
I can't find anything now to back myself up, but shortly after the draft I remember talk that Smith was to be groomed to eventually replace Trevathan and be the play caller and Iyiegbuniwe would be groomed to play along side him as Jack. But this year I understood that Smith would play Jack and Iyiegbuniwe would play Bench.
Bearfacts
MVP

Mikefive wrote:It just seems obvious that Smith should play the Jack. Let DT call the plays and be the more of a run stopper. Let Smith use his speed and run around. The odd thing is that we're starting two guy right now who seem better as Mikes than Jacks.
Exactly which is why all the previous talk about Smith learning to call signals has been confusing.

Although he weighed in at 236lbs at the Combine the Bears have him listed at 225lbs vs Kwiatkoski and Trevathan who are around 240lbs. The best spot for him now seems clear based on that alone.
Bearfacts
MVP

Middleguard wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Trevethan needs to be the Mike. He's going to make all the calls for the defense. Smith has all the speed in the World to play sideline to sideline.
Those are my thoughts as well but after the draft and OTAs there was all this talk about Smith learning the defense and calling signals like he had at Georgia. It's been confusing so why I ask what others take on it is.
I can't find anything now to back myself up, but shortly after the draft I remember talk that Smith was to be groomed to eventually replace Trevathan and be the play caller and Iyiegbuniwe would be groomed to play along side him as Jack. But this year I understood that Smith would play Jack and Iyiegbuniwe would play Bench.
That makes some sense for now but even long term I can envision Iggy more as a "Mike" ILB.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

[*] We haven't seen much of him, but I suspect Iyegbuniwe's niche is backup Will & special teams ace
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joel-iyie ... 4b27f70999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[*] Roquan is in no way a Mike. He got mauled by traffic at the college level.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[*] Kwitkowski isn't starter material

[*] A lot of people seem all in on cutting Trevathan before his contract is up (and believe me, I don't like how much we're spending at ILB), but I don't see anyone on this roster currently who is a remotely adequate replacement.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Moriarty wrote:[*] We haven't seen much of him, but I suspect Iyegbuniwe's niche is backup Will & special teams ace
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joel-iyie ... 4b27f70999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[*] A lot of people seem all in on cutting Trevathan before his contract is up (and believe me, I don't like how much we're spending at ILB), but I don't see anyone on this roster currently who is a remotely adequate replacement.
Agree. I think Iyegbuniwe's speed might be used to replace Kwiatkoski in passing situations. He might be viewed as a nickel LB as well. If DT does down next year, he and Nick might rotate based on down situations.
Bearfacts
MVP

Moriarty wrote:[*] We haven't seen much of him, but I suspect Iyegbuniwe's niche is backup Will & special teams ace

I've always been seeing Smith as a "Jack" ILB playing off the ball. But remember, much like Floyd, Smith played very light at Georgia. He was less than 220lbs but weighed in at 236lbs at the Combine and still ran a 4.5/40. If they expect him to play "Mike" he'll most likely need to be somewhere around 235-240lbs.

Kwiatkoski could handle the "Mike" role but at present he's out of position. Once Smith replaces him IMHO he'll back both spots for now 'til they see where Iggy fits. One of them or Smith may eventually replace Trevethan but when is the question. He's still in his prime years and even in 2019 $7.65 mil isn't a cap killer as long as he's healthy.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Interesting Sun Times article on Smith.

Key comments from Fangio:

" really liked the way [Smith] played [against the Seahawks]. [He] had some really nice plays. Good tackler. Obviously, he can run, and we're thrilled to have him."

However, Fangio pointed out that Smith had "a couple missed tackles we didn't like", which he said was a result of Smith missing training camp and also had this to say about the Seahawks late TD drive:

"We started playing a coverage there at the end of the game [that] when we put it in and worked on it the most, [Smith] wasn't there in training camp. Smith didn't execute [the coverage] like we wanted him to at the end of the game there, which allowed some of those completions. That's more on me than him because I should have realized that he wasn't there when we worked on it and made sure he was honed up on it."

Smith's holdout has hurt this team, but Mack's arrival and impact has mitigated it. Hopefully as the season progresses Smith will catch up on what he missed in camp and in the meantime the high standards being set by those around him will cover for his mistakes. He's clearly got talent and should be great in time, he's just behind where he should have been.

With Floyd's club coming off and being replaced with a brace this week, Lynch showing up against the Seahawks after a poor effort against the Packers, Robertson-Harris making his presence felt, Trevathan playing the best he has since he arrived in Chicago, and more to come from Smith... this defensive front could get even better as the season progresses. Isn't that an exciting prospect!
G08
Hall of Famer

Smith's holdout has hurt this team
*cough* UOK *cough*

:wink:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bearfacts
MVP

I expected coverage would be an issue for Smith until he practices and plays more. He's giving up too much room in the zones but save for one missed tackle I saw at LOS in the open field his closing speed is much greater that Kwiatkoski's and he's a very sure tackler.

Hopefully we have another Lance Briggs in him only even better.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I had posted this link previously. I think it was in the War Room right after the pick. It's a great video, explaining Smith's strengths and weaknesses. It explains the type of defense that he would excel in, and where he would struggle. After back to back double digit tackle performances, I think we know which defense he is in. Kudos to Hicks, RRH and Goldman for keeping our ILB's free to roam and wreak havoc. Roquan Smith is in the perfect place to exploit his talents.

Roquan Smith