Adam Hoge's Ten Things

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bearfacts
MVP

Hoge’s 10 Bears Things: Time To Unleash Roquan Smith + Hoge and Jahns Podcast/Week 2

https://wgnradio.com/2018/09/14/hoges-1 ... uan-smith/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Key comment about Mitch;

Laurence Holmes
‏Verified account @LaurenceWHolmes
Replying to @AdamHoge

I appreciate him not caping for himself. And maybe Nagy can beat the Fox out of him. I’m ok with risk calculus, but at some point he’s gonna be counted on for more.

I've made the point earlier of saying whether we turn the ball over risking a big play or continue to go three and out by not risking anything or seeing long drives end in FGs as opposed to TDs the results have always been the same.

We lose games.
malk
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote:Hoge’s 10 Bears Things: Time To Unleash Roquan Smith + Hoge and Jahns Podcast/Week 2

https://wgnradio.com/2018/09/14/hoges-1 ... uan-smith/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Key comment about Mitch;

Laurence Holmes
Replying to @AdamHoge

I appreciate him not caping for himself. And maybe Nagy can beat the Fox out of him. I’m ok with risk calculus, but at some point he’s gonna be counted on for more.

I've made the point earlier of saying whether we turn the ball over risking a big play or continue to go three and out by not risking anything or seeing long drives end in FGs as opposed to TDs the results have always been the same.

We lose games.
I was really heartened to hear Nagy in one of the pressers making the comparison between a downfield interception on 3rd down being similar to a punt. Sometimes that's a good risk to take, especially so with a receiver like Robinson.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bearfacts
MVP

malk wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:Hoge’s 10 Bears Things: Time To Unleash Roquan Smith + Hoge and Jahns Podcast/Week 2

Key comment about Mitch;

Laurence Holmes
Replying to @AdamHoge

We lose games.
I was really heartened to hear Nagy in one of the pressers making the comparison between a downfield interception on 3rd down being similar to a punt. Sometimes that's a good risk to take, especially so with a receiver like Robinson.
Yep, at times you gotta at least try for a big score especially when you have receivers who can win battles for the ball.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote:
malk wrote:

Key comment about Mitch;

Laurence Holmes
Replying to @AdamHoge

We lose games.
Yep, at times you gotta at least try for a big score especially when you have receivers who can win battles for the ball.
And when you have speed guys who can run by DBs.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote:
malk wrote:

Key comment about Mitch;

Laurence Holmes
Replying to @AdamHoge

We lose games.
I completely agree. This is something that comes with time. The more times Trubisky throws the ball up to Robinson, and the more times he comes down with it, the more trust that is earned. Eventually when he sees A-Rob on the outside in man, he'll know he's going to throw his way. Every time. Same things with Taylor Gabriel. Trubisky will learn that "if he's even, he's leavin'" and trust that he can throw the ball out there and Gabriel will outrun everyone. Just comes with experience and trust.
Middleguard
MVP

malk wrote:I was really heartened to hear Nagy in one of the pressers making the comparison between a downfield interception on 3rd down being similar to a punt. Sometimes that's a good risk to take, especially so with a receiver like Robinson.
There are enough analytics out there equating field position to points, that if Nagy doesn't factor that into his play calling, he should stop doing it.

Edit: I'm not in favor of HCs calling plays and I'm not sure why Nagy reversed his position from early this year when he said Helfrich would call plays. Back in 85, Ditka was lucky to have McMahon who understood Ditka's offense better than Ditka did. Ditka himself admitted this saying that it was a good thing McMahon audibled so much because he (Ditka) often got caught up in the excitement of the game.
Bearfacts
MVP

Middleguard wrote:
malk wrote:I was really heartened to hear Nagy in one of the pressers making the comparison between a downfield interception on 3rd down being similar to a punt. Sometimes that's a good risk to take, especially so with a receiver like Robinson.
There are enough analytics out there equating field position to points, that if Nagy doesn't factor that into his play calling, he should stop doing it.

Edit: I'm not in favor of HCs calling plays and I'm not sure why Nagy reversed his position from early this year when he said Helfrich would call plays. Back in 85, Ditka was lucky to have McMahon who understood Ditka's offense better than Ditka did. Ditka himself admitted this saying that it was a good thing McMahon audibled so much because he (Ditka) often got caught up in the excitement of the game.
I don't recall his saying that but then some days I even forget what day of the week it is. :ashamed:

My greatest concern with Nagy or any HC calling plays is whether or not he gets so obsessed with his play calling that he loses sight of other strategic or tactical issues like clock management and who he's up against. IMHO I feel this is what happened on that final drive in the GB game when he called a pass play on 3rd and 2.

We've examined that thoroughly enough by now so I'll only look at last night and say once again he seemed too content to take his foot off the gas and give a very good QB a shot at a comeback win against a defense playing loose zone coverage. Mitch's ongoing struggles with reads and his inaccuracy didn't help either.

Maybe I'm not as content as others to refrain from criticizing a team with the offensive tools this one has to only be scoring 16-17 points a game again. Last years excuse was Fox and Loggains but that won't cut it again this year. Mitch and the entire offense need to start executing the "bread and butter" plays far better than they have.
wab
Mod

The first two drives of the first to games have been perfection. Literally two of the best drives I've ever witnessed the Bears put together. That's what tells me he will take off as he gets more comfortable in the offense.
Bearfacts
MVP

wab wrote:The first two drives of the first to games have been perfection. Literally two of the best drives I've ever witnessed the Bears put together. That's what tells me he will take off as he gets more comfortable in the offense.
We'll see soon enough. To my eyes I saw little or no improvement over last week. He's still indecisive at times and struggling with his reads. Maybe he's trying too hard to be perfect instead of just playing the game on instinct.

One thing I came away with last night is they need to keep Gabriel more involved in the game both as a runner and a receiver. That guy has some jets few could match if they can free him up. With just a little better timing and blocking for him he could produce some really big plays. Match him up with Cohen at the same time and a defense has to decide which one to overplay and bottle up. Both could be big point producers if Nagy can scheme to get them loose.
malk
Head Coach

The yards per attempt at present is just ridiculous, however it happens, that needs to change.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

They were saying on the radio today that his 1st and 3rd qtr stats/splits are much better than his 2nd and 4th qtr. I have not looked to see, but it would not surprise me.
wab
Mod

I'm not entirely sure what people were expecting... I mean no one on this board thought the Bears were anything but an 8-8 team. Few if any of us thought this team would make the playoffs, let alone make the super bowl. Was it the addition of Mack that made everyone forget that it would take time to get the offense right?

All the hand wringing is surprising and ironic.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'm not entirely sure what people were expecting... I mean no one on this board thought the Bears were anything but an 8-8 team.
yeah well, this particular Kool Aid quaffing poster said 10-6

wab wrote:Few if any of us thought this team would make the playoffs, let alone make the super bowl.

I also said a Wild Card spot

wab wrote:Was it the addition of Mack that made everyone forget that it would take time to get the offense right?
I figured if the offense could be competent, the team could be as well, and regular competence enough for playoff caliber improvement ... and that was before the addition of Mack

I'm sticking to that as I see enough improvement already ... hell, just that opening drive against Goon Bay was better than anything we've seen over the past 5 + years, and that is with Trubisky still having the training wheels on

wab wrote:All the hand wringing is surprising and ironic.
screw everyone else, I'm still pumped about this team and firmly believe Trubisky's issues will dissipate as the season goes on, and by the time that Wild Card round comes around, there will be no more training wheels and the Bears will be a truly dangerous opponent
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:I'm not entirely sure what people were expecting... I mean no one on this board thought the Bears were anything but an 8-8 team. Few if any of us thought this team would make the playoffs, let alone make the super bowl. Was it the addition of Mack that made everyone forget that it would take time to get the offense right?

All the hand wringing is surprising and ironic.
Yeah, I had us as playoffs without Mack and 12-4 with. That's back to 11-5 with the GB debacle and the Fitzmagic is making me think about whether we'll be able to beat the Vikings, Patriots or Rams to stay there.

This year is about getting the offence right, and I'm still hopefully for this year, but I want to see a reasonable improvement in, particularly, TD%. Trubisky was 31st last year which I put down to Fox/Loggains and a lack of weapons, in addition to him being a rookie. This year he's got more experience, weapons and a system. Yes he needs time to learn the system but that can't be an excuse to stop him from getting out of the bottom quartile of QBs.