2019 Cap (aka, The Khost of Khalil)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Well, half the cost (the financial, not draft pick, part).

A lot of talk in various threads about who should be back next year and is it affordable. Now that Spotrac has numbers up for Goldman (although they seem a bit off – don’t add up to what they say it does), try this out and see what the financial situation is.

Go to
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/chicago-bears/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Switch to 2019, hit GO.
Cut any players you want.
Click on them to see age and contract situation.

Remember, free agents have been removed. If you want anyone back, you have to click free agents and add them in. Be serious with how much they’ll cost.

Discuss and/or print up results.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

In this version, I kept Massie, couldn’t afford Amos.
6 slots are unfilled and 6 more roughly minimum players uses EVERY penny of the cap. No one new added, nothing to spend replacing any injuries, no money to write advance extensions for the next crop of free agents, nothing.

CAP TOTALS
• Total Available Cap:$193,251,963
• Dead Cap $:$932,938
• Offensive Cap $:$85,925,308
• Defensive Cap $:$97,142,153
• Special Teams Cap $:$5,062,500
• Total Team Cap $:$189,062,899
• Cap Space:$4,189,064** (6 more players needed)
• Total Savings:$8,500,000

TRANSACTIONS LOG
1. Released Dion Sims
(Saved: $6,000,000)
2. Released Sam Acho
(Saved: $2,500,000)
3. Bryce Callahan signed as a free agent
(Cap: $3,000,000)
4. Eric Kush signed as a free agent
(Cap: $2,000,000)
5. Benny Cunningham signed as a free agent
(Cap: $1,500,000)
6. Michael Burton signed as a free agent
(Cap: $1,200,000)
7. Nick Williams signed as a free agent
(Cap: $1,200,000)
8. Patrick Scales signed as a free agent
(Cap: $1,000,000)
9. DeAndre Houston-Carson signed as a free agent
10. Ben Braunecker signed as a free agent
11. Roy Robertson-Harris signed as a free agent
(Cap: $3,000,000)
12. Rashaad Coward signed as a free agent
13. Isaiah Irving signed as a free agent
14. Bobby Massie signed as a free agent
(Cap: $8,000,000)

Bearfacts
MVP

The only input I can give now is who I feel are likely to be gone. By December this could change.

Aaron Lynch
Dion Sims
Bobby Massie
Marcus Cooper
Sam Acho (probably)
malk
Head Coach

RRH will be an EFRA won't he? That'll save a bit of cash.

As for the rest on that list, if the difference between us keeping Amos is Benny Cunningham, Michael Burton, Nick Williams, DeAndre Houston-Carson, Ben Braunecker, Rashaad Coward and Isaiah Irving over draft picks/UDFAs I'll be apoplectic!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:RRH will be an EFRA won't he? That'll save a bit of cash.
Nope, he's an RFA. The cost for WR to get draft pick compensation was 3M, so I'm penciling in the same amount for him.
malk wrote: As for the rest on that list, if the difference between us keeping Amos is Benny Cunningham, Michael Burton, Nick Williams, DeAndre Houston-Carson, Ben Braunecker, Rashaad Coward and Isaiah Irving over draft picks/UDFAs I'll be apoplectic!
You're going to have a 45 man roster if you don't fill it out.
You could scrape together a couple mil - probably not enough for Amos anyway - if you replace them with all minimums, but my example already pencils in 6 roster spots for near-minimum nobodies. Expanding it to 12-15 makes you extraordinarily thin.

wab
Mod

Teams find ways to free up money when they need to/want to. It's not hard.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

One thing I did see, Chase Daniels is making 6 million as backup QB ? Should be able to save some money there as well.

Although after I released him in the tool it said saved money was 0. So maybe his contract is guaranteed ?
malk
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:
malk wrote:RRH will be an EFRA won't he? That'll save a bit of cash.
Nope, he's an RFA. The cost for WR to get draft pick compensation was 3M, so I'm penciling in the same amount for him.
malk wrote: As for the rest on that list, if the difference between us keeping Amos is Benny Cunningham, Michael Burton, Nick Williams, DeAndre Houston-Carson, Ben Braunecker, Rashaad Coward and Isaiah Irving over draft picks/UDFAs I'll be apoplectic!
You're going to have a 45 man roster if you don't fill it out.
You could scrape together a couple mil - probably not enough for Amos anyway - if you replace them with all minimums, but my example already pencils in 6 roster spots for near-minimum nobodies. Expanding it to 12-15 makes you extraordinarily thin.

Overthecap list RRH as EFRA, https://overthecap.com/player/roy-robertson-harris/5389. He'll only have two AS by the end of this year so he'll be an ERFA as I understand it (which may be wrong!).

For the others, I specified I wouldn't want those players over draft picks or UDFAs. I don't think any of them have sufficient value above replacement level to lose Amos for. You're giving $7.9m to those 6 players whereas 6 players at the rookie minimum would be around $3.5m.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The Daniels money is guaranteed, but other than him we won't be able to afford many veteran backups. I think Amos stays, and either we keep Massie or replace him with someone Hiestand likes better who will be similarly expensive. Fitts will have to step up at OLB and Nichols at DE. We'll have to draft DBs and an RB.

EDIT - If RRH has to play under a cheap tender due to EFRA status, that's great news for the Bears. Otherwise he's going to be too expensive to keep
xyt in the discord chats
malk
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote:The Daniels money is guaranteed, but other than him we won't be able to afford many veteran backups. I also think RRH will play well enough that we can't afford him. I think Amos stays, and either we keep Massie or replace him with someone Hiestand likes better who will be similarly expensive. Fitts will have to step up at OLB and Nichols at DE. We'll have to draft DBs and an RB.
RRH will be here one way or another. If I'm wrong about him being ERFA then he's RFA and a 2nd round tender is the $3m Moriarty states. In that eventuality I'd be happy enough with with either keeping a good player for $3m or getting an extra 2nd round pick.

If it does come down to hard choices, even though I like Massie more than most Bears fans, I'd bin him for Amos.

EDIT: That said, if it came down to keeping Massie or resigning Kush plus keeping McManis, Sowell and similar players then I'm getting rid of the depth and relying on Pace's drafting.

Bearfacts
MVP

So far RRH is outplaying Bullard and he's also far more of a physical freak with a whole lot of upside. IMHO there's no way they let him walk.

Coward is being groomed to replace Massie.

Lynch is gonna be suspect unless he ups his game and Acho due to his age despite being a team leader.

The guy to watch is Bush. He'd be the one currently on the roster most likely to replace Amos if Amos isn't extended.
Middleguard
MVP

RRH was redshirted his first year ('16). Usually, players are redshirted by being placed on IR. That counts as a season. But, RRH was not on IR. It was some other list I can't remember the name of, so I can't look up whether being on that list also counts as a season.
EricTighe
MVP

Once Lynch is healthy I could see him taking Reps from Floyd.

Sorry guys just not liking what I am seeing out of him right now. Same ole same ole. If O-lineman stops his first move he is done.

Maybe Mack can show him a thing or two. I pray.
Middleguard
MVP

Floyd is not supposed to be an every down he plays pass-rusher.
Richie
MVP

wab wrote:Teams find ways to free up money when they need to/want to. It's not hard.
This...

I'm just not worried about the Amos situation like others are. We'll figure it out when the time comes.
EricTighe
MVP

Middleguard wrote:Floyd is not supposed to be an every down he plays pass-rusher.
If you watching game tonight Floyd is coming out on passing downs for Lynch.
Bearfacts
MVP

EricTighe wrote:Once Lynch is healthy I could see him taking Reps from Floyd.

Sorry guys just not liking what I am seeing out of him right now. Same ole same ole. If O-lineman stops his first move he is done.

Maybe Mack can show him a thing or two. I pray.
I agree that Lynch looked better last night but he still appears to be primarily a power/bull rush type without any real "moves". He plays the run fairly well and he's shown that he understands the scheme but the drop in sheer fear factor when he subs for Mack is obvious.

Floyd continues to disappoint. It seems to me he feels more comfortable playing LOLB and with Mack around he's not gonna be used as much there. He needs to start using his speed and develop some moves because he's been way too easy to block on his rushes so far.

I'll give him a little grace due to his hand and that he's also been up against two very good pass blocking LTs so far but for a guy drafted as high as he was he's got to start showing more as a pass rusher. When RRH is in there with the way he can also use his power to collapse the pocket Floyd should be able to use that and he isn't.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'm starting to think that Lynch is the perfect guy to play as a compliment to Mack. Lynch was all over that field last night.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote:RRH was redshirted his first year ('16). Usually, players are redshirted by being placed on IR. That counts as a season. But, RRH was not on IR. It was some other list I can't remember the name of, so I can't look up whether being on that list also counts as a season.
Robertson-Harris joined the team as an undrafted free agent in 2016, appearing in the first three preseason games before he was placed on the illness/non-football injury list.
http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/ ... ed-season/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This says NFI doesn't get credit (although other parts of it are either wrong or out of date, so...)

JMHJD2017
Rookie

His worth every damn penny cause everybody on that D-line is playing like world beaters right now.
Bearfacts
MVP

OTC does list RRH as an ERFA in 2019 and I believe that is correct. In any event the Bears are not likely to let him go. He's turning into a beast as a bull rusher. It's him and Goldman or Hicks that are collapsing the pocket so often.
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

Its all good.

Frankly, when these issues start in 2019, that is how we will finally start getting compensatory picks starting in 2020.
Middleguard
MVP

Moriarty wrote:
Middleguard wrote:RRH was redshirted his first year ('16). Usually, players are redshirted by being placed on IR. That counts as a season. But, RRH was not on IR. It was some other list I can't remember the name of, so I can't look up whether being on that list also counts as a season.
Robertson-Harris joined the team as an undrafted free agent in 2016, appearing in the first three preseason games before he was placed on the illness/non-football injury list.
http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/ ... ed-season/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This says NFI doesn't get credit (although other parts of it are either wrong or out of date, so...)
I believe you have the explanation exactly and that RRH really is ERFA. That should save the Bears a couple mil. NFI seems a much cheaper way to redshirt than IR. Have somebody knock the guy down in the street rather than giving him a shoulder bruise in practice.