Jordan Howard Pass Catching

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IotaNet
MVP

Didn't know if this warranted a new thread but I am VERY Pleased at Jordan Howard's pass catching. I don't think he's had a drop yet, has he?

He made a GREAT play on that ill-advised throw from Biscuit that he turned into a nice gain.

A bunch of us were ready to get rid of him for "not being a fit" in Nagy's offense. Just goes to show what happens when a guy puts in the work during the offseason.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

Dude has busted his ass and it shows. Proud of him!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Bearfacts
MVP

Not only that but once again even watching some runs on a bad night where once again an opponent played to make Trubisky win with his arm Howard showed how hard he is to bring down without a crowd of defenders on him and he protects the ball well.

For a team with a top defense and a still shaky QB he's a perfect RB but he needs more than 14-15 carries per game to be most effective. He typically breaks one long run per game and last night he never got that chance. Between he and Cohen they should be wearing defenses down.
wab
Mod

I will say that I like that they are getting both Howard and Cohen on the field at the same time.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He has not dropped a pass yet. I am also a little disappointed at the lack of touches he is getting. He needs at least 20 carries per game. If he gets 3-5 receptions a game, along with 20 carries, it is only going to open the O up more. I am still a caveman, an uncle Doug so to speak, I love me a dominating run game.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:He has not dropped a pass yet. I am also a little disappointed at the lack of touches he is getting. He needs at least 20 carries per game. If he gets 3-5 receptions a game, along with 20 carries, it is only going to open the O up more. I am still a caveman, an uncle Doug so to speak, I love me a dominating run game.
That's not being old school. That's smart football. Opening the run game, via the pass can be done, but its not nearly as effective.
Xee
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Otis Day wrote:He has not dropped a pass yet. I am also a little disappointed at the lack of touches he is getting. He needs at least 20 carries per game. If he gets 3-5 receptions a game, along with 20 carries, it is only going to open the O up more. I am still a caveman, an uncle Doug so to speak, I love me a dominating run game.
That's not being old school. That's smart football. Opening the run game, via the pass can be done, but its not nearly as effective.
Not sure if it's a correlation thing more than a causation thing, but I think I heard that the Bears are 8-3 when Howard gets 20 carries and are something like 0-21 when he has less than 20. Glad that didn't hold true this game.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Not sure if it's a correlation thing more than a causation thing, but I think I heard that the Bears are 8-3 when Howard gets 20 carries and are something like 0-21 when he has less than 20. Glad that didn't hold true this game.
A good running game WEARS OUT A DEFENSE. Some CB wrapping up a 6'2" diva WR, 15 yards down the field is nothing compared to a 6'1" LB getting trucked by a stout RB. It wears players out. OL's will tell you, they LOVE run blocking, because THEY get to go hit someone, instead of having to stand there and take it from a DE for 3 1/2 seconds. A good running game is a tremendous weapon, and the Bears have one. They need to use it more.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

At least 20 a game would give him the heaviest RB workload in football
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... fied=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bearfacts
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Yet that's exactly what Nagy has proposed to do and did do in KC.

Until we can begin to burn team early downfield and with Burton and/or Miller in the deep middle and force them to drop more defenders in coverage teams will keep trying to bottle Howard and Cohen up. Otherwise they're throwing 8 defenders on 6 or 7 blockers and shutting down cutback lanes. Seattle did that very well last night.

Mitch has to make them pay for trying to cover ARob and Gabriel one on one and also attack the middle with Burton and Miller and so far he's failed to do that. Until we can execute those passes and force their Safeties to defend the pass we're gonna keep seeing more defenders than we have blockers.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Not sure if it's a correlation thing more than a causation thing, but I think I heard that the Bears are 8-3 when Howard gets 20 carries and are something like 0-21 when he has less than 20. Glad that didn't hold true this game.
That's a fun one.
People see the correlation between A and B and conclude A must cause B (which is not necessarily the situation, as you noted). In this particular case, the relationship is almost certainly primarily due to B causing A.

Running more doesn't cause winning nearly as much as winning causes more running.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.