Return of the Mack (Trade).

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malk
Head Coach

I've updated my signature accordingly...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:I've updated my signature accordingly...
Is that what you said in one of your posts? :rofl: That's too funny.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:So we gave up our 2019 first round pick and sixth round pick

2020 first round pick and third round pick

for

Khalil Mack, Oakland's 2020 second round pick and a conditional fifth round pick

So, really, you can look at the 2020 first round pick we gave up as a trade down to wherever Oakland is picking in round 2, which still is coupled with our 2nd round pick that year. This was a no brainer.
I wasn't sure about trading the 2 first round picks to be honest. But when they received the 2nd rounder in return it looked like a no brainer. The Raiders don't look to be that great, so that 2nd could end up being an early one. Or almost a "late first". Hell, it's possible that we could be looking at only a difference of ten spots in that draft. That shit would be crazy.
wab
Mod

When the first reports of the trade came out, I wasn’t thrilled because of what the Bears were thought to be giving up...but after the dust settled I was pretty excited. Even more now that he’s destroying dudes.
G08
Hall of Famer

I've never seen as dominant a pass rusher in my time as a Bears fan than I have the past couple games from Khalil Mack. I was too young to enjoy the '85 Bears, and Brown/Ogunleye/Anderson couldn't hold a candle to Khalil Mack.

And we've got him through his prime years? Fucking steal.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bearfacts
MVP

I'll add the very real possibility of GB getting him also makes the deal make more sense.

Oakland wanted him out of the AFC entirely which would have tended to eliminate the Jets.

That left LA, GB, and the Bears as the major players. LA claims they would have traded him immediately and it's possible GB was to be their partner in that. The fact the Randall Cobb believed GB getting Mack was a done deal tells me just how close they came and that the Bears projected draft status was what the deal may have pivoted on.

It doesn't take much of a stretch in our imaginations to realize what pairing Mack with Rodgers, Clay Matthews, and Mo Wilkerson may have accomplished for GB in terms of a championship run. At the very least getting Mack tipped the scales back in our direction again and has shortened the time to complete the rebuild significantly.

The loss of 2019 1st and 2nd round picks doesn't bother me at all when I consider it's Mack and Miller who represent those picks. The only starters I can see we may need to re-sign or replace are Amos and Massie. If Amos earns it I believe Pace will try to sign him, tag him, or do what he did with Fuller and allow himself the option of matching an offer.

As for Massie I believe Rashard Coward is already being groomed to take his spot in 2019 so I doubt he'll be extended or re-signed. Nowhere else can I see a current starter that would require a 1st or 2nd round 2019 pick to replace and by 2020 we'll have two 2nds to add potential starters if needed. All things considered there was no way to not make the trade.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I was 100% for the trade before it happened and nothing has changed my mind since. In fact, his play the first 2 weeks has only validated my own belief that the trade was the best thing that could happen for this team. The defense has been on another level with his addition.
Never Die Easy
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I've never seen as dominant a pass rusher in my time as a Bears fan than I have the past couple games from Khalil Mack. I was too young to enjoy the '85 Bears, and Brown/Ogunleye/Anderson couldn't hold a candle to Khalil Mack.

And we've got him through his prime years? Fucking steal.
My sales manager is from NY. Lived his whole life there. HUGE NY football fan. Jets and Giants. He said that he hasn't seen anything like Mack since Lawrence Taylor.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Knowing what I know now, this is how I imagine my negotiations would have gone:

Faiders: We're going to need something like 4 first round picks.

Me: OK. Where do we sign?

Faiders: I meant 5 first round picks. We need 5.

Me: Whatever. Where do we sign?
Umbali
MVP

I was ok with it then and MORE than ok with it now.

Watching not just his performance but how it affects everyone around him. He is a game changer. He is Urlacher vs Arizona on MNF, taking over a game.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
WagonForce
MVP

I think Richie said it best in the game thread, we didn't pay enough for this monster.

The effect he seems to have had on the defense as a whole is tangible. The Bears already had great leaders with players like Hicks, Trevathan, etc. but it seems like there's an even stronger confidence and attitude out on the field with Mack joining the team.
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
malk wrote:I've updated my signature accordingly...
Is that what you said in one of your posts? :rofl: That's too funny.
it might have been a tad hyperbolic...

That said, it's true for some teams and, mad as it might sound, it wasn't a bad move for the Raiders simply because they'd already paid Carr. Similarly he would have been a bad move for the Packers (more than a quarter of their cap on two players would not be a good idea).

What I hadn't thought through was Trubisky being on a rookie deal and the cost of the 1st rounders and replacement player.

But balls to all that, I also hadn't realised just how good he is. Mein Gott, highlights don't do him justice, watching the full games with him in is incredible, what an absolute unit!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

I don't think it's a stretch to say this is the best defense Khalil Mack has ever played on in the NFL.

Curious to see how much that adds to his fire :)

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:[video][/video]

I don't think it's a stretch to say this is the best defense Khalil Mack has ever played on in the NFL.

Curious to see how much that adds to his fire :)
That's what I said earlier. The NFL may not have seen the best of Khalil Mack yet. Remember, this was game two. These guys haven't EVEN started playing together yet. They don't know each other's tendencies, or strengths. They don't yet know how to work in Fangio's defense together. This was game two, and we have four more years of this. MINIMUM.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I said it from the beginning...The trade was a no brainer for what Mack brings to the defense and the team. He's a generational talent and on a limited snap count, with no offseason conditioning, he's come in and put us in a position to win both games so far. He's also elevating those around him to play harder.

That does have it's draw backs, as we've seen guys get gassed by the end of the 4th quarter, but not many teams have Green Bay's resolve, nor with they all benefit from Fuller letting a game clinching int fall through his hands.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I was on the fence until someone else posted the nugget about the Bears first round draft picks over the past 25 years ... many more misses than hits

which made it easy for me to accept the trade

as an additional benefit, maybe the new regime will also break the curse of the first round, with Trubisky leading the way as the new way of doing things successfully from here on out
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
dplank
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:I was on the fence until someone else posted the nugget about the Bears first round draft picks over the past 25 years ... many more misses than hits

as an additional benefit, maybe the new regime will also break the curse of the first round, with Trubisky leading the way as the new way of doing things successfully from here on out
It was a painful public service announcement, but I felt it needed to be done.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I was on the fence until someone else posted the nugget about the Bears first round draft picks over the past 25 years ... many more misses than hits

Got a link to this post?

dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
dplank wrote:

Got a link to this post?
https://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12813&p=205337&hilit=idiots#p205337
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote:
G08 wrote:
dplank wrote:

Got a link to this post?
https://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12813&p=205337&hilit=idiots#p205337
"I'd trade all 12 of these guys for Mack." also, you guys are idiots :rofl:

EricTighe
MVP

No need for me to beat a dead horse.

For you naysayers admit it I was right you were wrong!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote:No need for me to beat a dead horse.

For you naysayers admit it I was right you were wrong!
I remember that you were VERY excited about the prospect of getting Mack. Those concerned about the cost of the trade had realistic concerns, that have now been shattered into a million pieces.
EricTighe
MVP

HEhehehehehe
wab
Mod

Didn't know where to put this, so I'm sticking it here.

Current NFL MVP odds.

Mitch Trubisky 33/1 ....................................

Khalil Mack 33/1
Nanky
Journeyman

Mack also just earned NFC Defensive Player of the Month!!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Didn't know where to put this, so I'm sticking it here.

Current NFL MVP odds.

Khalil Mack 33/1
That's ridiculous that Biscuit is in the same zip code as Mack here. An unquestionably average (or less) QB vs. the clear DPOY???
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Nanky wrote:Mack also just earned NFC Defensive Player of the Month!!
Well...duh! :-D

Has anyone trolled Gruden with that info?? What's his Twitter handle?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Didn't know where to put this, so I'm sticking it here.

Current NFL MVP odds.

Khalil Mack 33/1
That really doesn't make any sense. Now if Biscuits completely balls out vs. the Fins, and puts up another five TD's and no INT's, then out duels Brady. Then we can begin that discussion.

However...if Nagy isn't already atop the leaderboard for Coach of the Year, then there's a problem.
wab
Mod

MVP should really be Mack in a runaway. With maybe Mahomes a distant second.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Unfortunately MVP is geared towards QBs so if Mack, Goff and Mahomes keep up what they are doing, Mahomes or Goff will get it.