WEEK 3 // Bears outlast Cardinals, win 16-14

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I think we slight improvement in Trubisky and the offense's productivity overall but the Cardinals blitz schemes will give Trubisky some trouble. I like our pass rush against their OL. I also like our DL against their OL in the running game. David Johnson is still a dangerous weapon. I would like Roquan shadowing him in the passing game since he can match Johnson's speed.

Bears 23
Cardinals 10
Never Die Easy
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:Rookie who may have been the least ready among the top QBs in his first start in game 3, when Sam Bradford + Larry Fitzgerald in the same offense has put up 6 points in 2 games? By drive 2, Rosen is going to start looking at the pass rush at "thousand two".

Bears 24 Cards 3

And Biscuit will still make a bunch of mistakes.
I was confused when referring to the Rosen as the "least ready". That was the other Josh. And I've since been corrected that Bradford is going to start. And that's fine because Bradford remembers his last start against us with Minny and he still has nightmares. I don't care who plays QB for them, they're in big trouble. I'm sticking with my score above.

One thing that is not clearly stated earlier is... With an offense that only scores 3 points, that's going to help our offense greatly. And we're still only going to score 24. That shows you how spotty I think our offense is going to be against their defense. It will be very much like we've seen. Some good Biscuit. Some bad Biscuit.

And I have to admit this. It really feels a lot like the 2005 season with the young, flawed, "weak link" QB with sufficient tools and a dominant defense. It's a different kind of flawed QB--simply really inexperienced--instead of too short and unable to handle a good rush.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: And I have to admit this. It really feels a lot like the 2005 season with the young, flawed, "weak link" QB with sufficient tools and a dominant defense. It's a different kind of flawed QB--simply really inexperienced--instead of too short and unable to handle a good rush.
That's funny you said this, I was talking to a buddy and told him the exact same thing. We aren't there yet but this defense and potential for dominance on that side of the ball feels an awful lot like 2005.

Instead of starting 1-3 and Mike Brown saying "it's like we suck, man" I think we are going to start 3-1, maybe 2-2, but our offense will start to take off after the bye week.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
docc
Head Coach

Mr Rosen..meet Mr Mack and friends..
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

GOOD MORNING (AFTERNOON)!

What’s the old saying? “You don’t know what you’re missing until it’s gone.”

That game was nerve wracking on several levels. Most of which, and continues to be theme this year, was ‘what might have been’. But what else do we have to analyze other than that? Yes we won, but how many points did we leave on the field? A least 11-15. I mean we see glimpses of the QB that we want out of Mitch, but it’s just too sporadic. I hope Nagy isn’t feeding us a line of BS about Biscuits’ development.

I have to say I was impressed with how the defense rallied and adjusted after the first two AZ drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

This past week I was saying to myself that the first team that stops us during the scripted 15 plays on offense is going to kick our *ss. Zona allows no points in the 1st quarter and scores 14 of their own like a hot knife thru butter. Needless to say... not a happy time for me at the beginning of that game.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote:This past week I was saying to myself that the first team that stops us during the scripted 15 plays on offense is going to kick our *ss. Zona allows no points in the 1st quarter and scores 14 of their own like a hot knife thru butter. Needless to say... not a happy time for me at the beginning of that game.
I don't have my notes in front of me, but I believe one of the safeties blew coverage on that second touchdown play. First touchdown was blown coverage on Trevathan, I believe.

Inexcusable either way, but they obviously weren't having anything else the rest of the way.
LacertineForest
MVP

Man, the offense is tough to watch. It's funny because the errant throws stick out in my mind so much that, if you asked me Trubisky's stats after the game, I'd guess he had around a 50% completion rate. When I read that he was 24/35, I couldn't believe it. Now, of course, with all the horizontal passes, that's going to pad the completion % and drop the YPA, but it felt like he was missing all over the place.

I guess the good news is that we are seeing the offense move the ball, grind some clock, and they leaned on Jordan Howard a bit more this last game, even when they were down a couple of scores. Still, it's disappointing to see only 16 points (should have been 19 if Parkey doesn't miss that opening-drive FG) in what is probably one of the friendliest away environments you'll find.

It was great to get a win, but it didn't feel very good - aside from the D. Was also nice to see that the defense turned it up in the 2nd half this time.
wab
Mod

I'll never understand this "disappointing win" stuff. They can go ahead and disappoint me with a win every week...all the way up to the most disappointing super bowl victory of all time.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

wab wrote:I'll never understand this "disappointing win" stuff. They can go ahead and disappoint me with a win every week...all the way up to the most disappointing super bowl victory of all time.
I couldn't agree more!!!

A W is a W no matter how you get it. The Bears are now sitting alone atop the North for the first time in years. What was it we all said after Green Bay? This team needs to learn ways to win. Good teams find a way when they have played terribly. Well Sunday they found a way to win a game they opened terribly. That is a huge step forward for this team. How long ago was it a game that started like Sunday's would have ended up in a blow out? Instead this team clawed back and kept fighting and won. That is a huge step.

Sure Trubisky is beginning to make me worry, the blown coverages early were frustrating and Nagy definitely showed some growing pains. But we won the game. At the end of the day that is the most important fact of all. The defense shored itself up and played lights out after that first quarter. The offense for all it's struggles is 2nd in the NFL in time of possession. That is HUGE for this team. How often under fox were we dominated in time of possession and the D would get gassed? I will remain optimistic that the offense will figure it out and Trubisky will continue to grow. Hopefully this coming game will be their coming out party.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'll never understand this "disappointing win" stuff. They can go ahead and disappoint me with a win every week...all the way up to the most disappointing super bowl victory of all time.

I would categorize it as an ugly win rather than a disappointing win

and an ugly win is better than a pretty loss any day of the week
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:

I would categorize it as an ugly win rather than a disappointing win

and an ugly win is better than a pretty loss any day of the week
This.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

This.

2-1.

Thisclose to being 3-0.

First place in the division.

I'm happy.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

BearButtseks wrote:Man, the offense is tough to watch. It's funny because the errant throws stick out in my mind so much that, if you asked me Trubisky's stats after the game, I'd guess he had around a 50% completion rate. When I read that he was 24/35, I couldn't believe it. Now, of course, with all the horizontal passes, that's going to pad the completion % and drop the YPA, but it felt like he was missing all over the place.
It's a strange thing. I watched the game the first time, and its like the frustration of being down 14 gets in your head. you just want Mitch to score NOW, WE NEED POINTS, and the couple of misses stick out way more than the huge completions down the field to Burton and Robinson that were really nice passes.

I watched the game a second time, the condensed version, and knowing the outcome, not being on edge about being down early, etc. I could pay better attention to how well Mitch actually played. He had like 4 bad passes. 2 that could've been touchdowns, 1 on that rollout that should've been picked, and the screen that got tipped and picked off. He also had that fumble that Arizona was super lucky on, because Mitch had a ton of daylight ahead of him. I don't see a lot of QB's that wouldn't have fumbled that ball. Hell, if you are able, watch the Vikings vs Buffalo game. Cousins handed the Bills the game with fumbles. And I've heard some people say we should've gone after Cousins!

Everyone wants him to be great NOW. Or at least by next game. Well he wont be, but Jesus fuckin Christ he's not THAT bad. He's better than Rookie Orton, and idk how many meatballs were saying "He won 10 games!"

They're looking at Mahomes and Watson with jealous eyes. They don't know about Brees, or Wilson, or the fact that Aaron Rodgers didn't play for 3 years, learning the same scheme the whole time.

Remember RG3? Dak Prescott? Colin Kaepernick? Started pretty hot and regressed.
wab
Mod

KOP_Snake wrote:
BearButtseks wrote:Man, the offense is tough to watch. It's funny because the errant throws stick out in my mind so much that, if you asked me Trubisky's stats after the game, I'd guess he had around a 50% completion rate. When I read that he was 24/35, I couldn't believe it. Now, of course, with all the horizontal passes, that's going to pad the completion % and drop the YPA, but it felt like he was missing all over the place.
It's a strange thing. I watched the game the first time, and its like the frustration of being down 14 gets in your head. you just want Mitch to score NOW, WE NEED POINTS, and the couple of misses stick out way more than the huge completions down the field to Burton and Robinson that were really nice passes.

I watched the game a second time, the condensed version, and knowing the outcome, not being on edge about being down early, etc. I could pay better attention to how well Mitch actually played. He had like 4 bad passes. 2 that could've been touchdowns, 1 on that rollout that should've been picked, and the screen that got tipped and picked off. He also had that fumble that Arizona was super lucky on, because Mitch had a ton of daylight ahead of him. I don't see a lot of QB's that wouldn't have fumbled that ball. Hell, if you are able, watch the Vikings vs Buffalo game. Cousins handed the Bills the game with fumbles. And I've heard some people say we should've gone after Cousins!

Everyone wants him to be great NOW. Or at least by next game. Well he wont be, but Jesus fuckin Christ he's not THAT bad. He's better than Rookie Orton, and idk how many meatballs were saying "He won 10 games!"

They're looking at Mahomes and Watson with jealous eyes. They don't know about Brees, or Wilson, or the fact that Aaron Rodgers didn't play for 3 years, learning the same scheme the whole time.

Don't you go being sensible and logical. Don't you DARE.
cblaz11
MVP

KOP_Snake wrote:

I actually agree with a lot of this...I was really down on him after attending the game, but then I watched it on TV and I felt much better. He’s got some things to clean up and he needs to continue to learn this offense, but he improved his pocket presence dramatically from week 1. He made a comment after watching Rogers about just focusing on getting completions and I think he is. Next up, he’s gotta get better at identifying his hot route. He’s leaving yards on the field by not taking simple check downs...I’m much more hopeful now then I was 2 weeks ago.
Richie
MVP

This was actually an impressive win to me. The kind of games where good teams figure out a way.

Virtually every good team, in any given season has AT LEAST one of these games where it's just like pulling teeth the entire time versus an inferior opponent. Especially on the road.

We grinded, wound up really dominating after the first quarter and got the job done.

These kind of wins build confidence. I like it.
BR0D1E86
MVP

cblaz11 wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:

I actually agree with a lot of this...I was really down on him after attending the game, but then I watched it on TV and I felt much better. He’s got some things to clean up and he needs to continue to learn this offense, but he improved his pocket presence dramatically from week 1. He made a comment after watching Rogers about just focusing on getting completions and I think he is. Next up, he’s gotta get better at identifying his hot route. He’s leaving yards on the field by not taking simple check downs...I’m much more hopeful now then I was 2 weeks ago.
To his credit, and these two plays have gotten some press this week, that first jailbreak blitz where he looked right and Cohen was standing alone in the left flat after he released... he got a similar look later and Cohen almost went in for a touchdown. And he was very open about his mistake in pressers.

You've got to hope he's learning. He's got a lot of talent. Hopefully just a bit overwhelmed, and building it up gradually will help. This team doesn't need a ton from him to be an absolute monster.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:This was actually an impressive win to me. The kind of games where good teams figure out a way.

Virtually every good team, in any given season has AT LEAST one of these games where it's just like pulling teeth the entire time versus an inferior opponent. Especially on the road.

We grinded, wound up really dominating after the first quarter and got the job done.

My favorite quote after that game, and why I know that Mack is going into Canton, was what he said about the first quarter, "They had the momentum, and we had to go out and take it back." That quote right there tells me all I need to know about Khalil Mack. It is his goal EVERY DAMN GAME to go out and impose his will on the other team.

That dude is special.
malk
Head Coach

You know what, there was enough in this game that I think Biscuits gets it by mid season, is decent for the rest of the year and we're on for a proper challenge next year.

The question now is whether we win one playoff game this year or two.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I see improvement and I am on board.

Too many guys in the recent past have had really early stretches where they light it up then flame out.

I think he will progress and be more than solid, think Ryan Tannehill timeline but better than him.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:This was actually an impressive win to me. The kind of games where good teams figure out a way.

You bring up a great point. This franchise and team needs to learn how to win again. We haven't in about a decade. Especially since that we have a young team with new coaching that needs to gel. Games like the Cards one build character.
Middleguard
MVP

A few of the predictions I collected last week before the site went down can no longer be confirmed, but I'm counting them.

26 Bearfanuk
42 Middleguard
78 WagonForce
96 Bears Whiskey Nut
104 cager / Otis Day
114 mmmc_35
146 G08
182 UOK
186 crueltyabc / DaSuperfan
194 The Marshall Plan
218 GSH
222 BearButtseks
224 Sugashane
258 skamanfrank
266 Funkster
294 wab
312 HurricaneBear
362 AZ_Bearfan
378 cblaz11
458 alexwilkins
546 Mikefive
582 VA_Mountain_Bear
942 Atkins&Rebel / malk
1022 Boris13c
1448 Ormazd

duplicate
146 Nanky
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Is a low number good or bad :)
Have a great day
Middleguard
MVP

Bearfanuk wrote:Is a low number good or bad :)
I'm trying to show you the error of your ways. Zero is perfect (only once last year and once so far this year).
cblaz11
MVP

Is this based on score predicted?

I picked them to lose against GB and win their last two...so I’m perfect on the season! Lol