WEEK 4 // Bears 48, Bucs 10

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I have no idea why the Bucs didn't blitz or find some way to pressure Trubisky ... I am sure other teams certainly will

look what the Broncos did to Mahomes ... they still didn't completely stop him but they certainly made him alter his game ... I see future opponents using that same theory against Trubisky ... if Miami doesn't, I'm certain the Patriots will

so we will see how fast the learning curve develops and what game plans will look like to mitigate what the defense is trying to do to him
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Blitzing Mitch is a concern but if Nagy's smart (which I believe he is) he would have the D blitz him all week in practice... They still need to work on the short quick passes to take the pressure off him but without good YAC (which it hasn't been on the short passes) it doesn't force the safeties up to help which opens the long ball.

Maybe the good pass blocking last week and a reason Mitch had more time to throw was that this OL is going up against our D and it's paying off now. Sure Tampa's D is not great but that was a special performance by the OL too regardless. It's been pretty good all year but Sunday they were exceptional, maybe they're all coming into their own at the right time. I guess time will tell.

It's just so hard to judge this team after decades of garbage, you just come to expect they'll fall flat on their faces as usual. You know just like in GB when Rodgers came trotting back out on the field YEAH that feeling. I like to believe we're on the uptrend for a long time and I'll keep believing that until the full page ad comes out in the SunTimes again I guess lol. In all seriousness, I believe in this coaching staff and GM and it feels weird. In a good way... Just not used to it.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
GSH
MVP

I feel you Knuckles.

As a fanbase, we've gone through so much disappointment the last god knows how long, im tempering all the excitement with the fact that Im just pleased the Bears are now getting some damn respect.

Going into the season I just wanted the Bears to not be a laughing stock and to force respect from other teams, was always the 2019-2020 season for me where we would be real contenders, so honestly although it would be sweet to make a deep playoff run this year, im trying to keep it real.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

GSH wrote:I feel you Knuckles.

As a fanbase, we've gone through so much disappointment the last god knows how long, im tempering all the excitement with the fact that Im just pleased the Bears are now getting some damn respect.

Going into the season I just wanted the Bears to not be a laughing stock and to force respect from other teams, was always the 2019-2020 season for me where we would be real contenders, so honestly although it would be sweet to make a deep playoff run this year, im trying to keep it real.
I hear ya... I feel the same way but you have to admit there's something different about that sinking feeling we usually have in our stomachs with this team.... This year it feels different. I can't put my finger on it cause I haven't felt this sensation with the Bears since the 80s. Makes me want to crack open an Old Style... If not this year (not counting anything out) but next year I think this team will be good enough to match up against any team. Once this offense clicks consistently watch the hell out!
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Knuckles wrote:Blitzing Mitch is a concern but if Nagy's smart (which I believe he is) he would have the D blitz him all week in practice... They still need to work on the short quick passes to take the pressure off him but without good YAC (which it hasn't been on the short passes) it doesn't force the safeties up to help which opens the long ball.

Maybe the good pass blocking last week and a reason Mitch had more time to throw was that this OL is going up against our D and it's paying off now. Sure Tampa's D is not great but that was a special performance by the OL too regardless. It's been pretty good all year but Sunday they were exceptional, maybe they're all coming into their own at the right time. I guess time will tell.

It's just so hard to judge this team after decades of garbage, you just come to expect they'll fall flat on their faces as usual. You know just like in GB when Rodgers came trotting back out on the field YEAH that feeling. I like to believe we're on the uptrend for a long time and I'll keep believing that until the full page ad comes out in the SunTimes again I guess lol. In all seriousness, I believe in this coaching staff and GM and it feels weird. In a good way... Just not used to it.
Really the only redeeming quality of the Bucs defense was the DL. So I was very impressed with how the OL performed. It's entirely possible that our defense is beginning to sharpen up the OL. Which would be nice.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Knuckles wrote:
GSH wrote:I feel you Knuckles.

I hear ya... I feel the same way but you have to admit there's something different about that sinking feeling we usually have in our stomachs with this team.... This year it feels different. I can't put my finger on it cause I haven't felt this sensation with the Bears since the 80s. Makes me want to crack open an Old Style... If not this year (not counting anything out) but next year I think this team will be good enough to match up against any team. Once this offense clicks consistently watch the hell out!
I think it's that there's promise on both sides of the ball. And all of that promise is in young developing talent. In years past it was one side of the ball or the other. It was mercenary talent, or aging players holding trying to hold on to the last couple years of their career. Not this team. They are almost all under 30, they are developing, and their arrow seems to be pointing straight up.
docc
Head Coach

NFL.com
RANK
BEARS (3-1)
Previous rank: No. 17

Now that was the performance Bears fans have been waiting for ... No, not the new Monsters of the Midway making the visiting Bucs look silly. Rather, it was their sophomore quarterback throwing for 354 yards and six touchdowns. Mitchell Trubisky's performance was legit. Consider that he accomplished that yardage total on a scant 26 attempts, which means he picked up a whopping 13 yards and change every time he cocked his arm. Trubisky also scurried for 53 yards on just three carries. That's the type of performance that earned Deshaun Watson national acclaim as a rookie with the Texans last year. These fellas were in the same draft class, something most fans in Chicago are more than aware of. Now they are also aware of their young QB's potential ceiling, not just his floor.

Puke just looking up at Bears Ass..

SO FAR>> but I will bathe in this until MORE !!
docc
Head Coach

I am guessing Nagy will be working on Blitz pickups..Quick reads..quick openeers..and Howard..Cohen,,

Also NFL.COM
..Against all odds, Mack has managed to exceed lofty expectations in the wake of a blockbuster trade that netted him the richest contract for a defensive player in history. An upstart team with a puncher's chance to make waves has suddenly morphed into a legitimate contender. Just how legitimate? Despite blitzing less than any other defense, the Bears have become one of just seven teams this century to amass at least 18 sacks in the first four games. The other six, per "The Ringer NFL Show," made it to the second round of the playoffs.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Those stats are freaking sick I still get dumbfounded when looking at them... I wanted them to pick Mitch so bad... When I heard they picked him I nearly gave myself hemorrhoids screaming so loud. I really thought he could be the QB we've been craving in Chicago. This was a good start I hope he can prove me right. For the city of Chicago and all the fans like myself across the country that have dealt with all the drama for decades please for the love of god keep it up Mitch! LOL

This could be the game we all look back at and say that was the beginning of something special. And I have full confidence in Nagy right now to make it happen. Even if it's for a week. STOP that's the Bear fan of the past! :)
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
I think it's that there's promise on both sides of the ball. And all of that promise is in young developing talent. In years past it was one side of the ball or the other. It was mercenary talent, or aging players holding trying to hold on to the last couple years of their career. Not this team. They are almost all under 30, they are developing, and their arrow seems to be pointing straight up.
That's the best part 'on both sides of the ball' it's crazy... This is the new generation of Bear football. What could be a solid if not spectacular offense mixed with that typical in your face defense we've all been a custom to in Chicago will be the new trend? A few years back they said the days of defense wins championships are over is about to be rewritten. A great defense and great offense will dominate the NFL. Bear the F down!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Knuckles wrote:Those stats are freaking sick I still get dumbfounded when looking at them... I wanted them to pick Mitch so bad... When I heard they picked him I nearly gave myself hemorrhoids screaming so loud. I really thought he could be the QB we've been craving in Chicago. This was a good start I hope he can prove me right. For the city of Chicago and all the fans like myself across the country that have dealt with all the drama for decades please for the love of god keep it up Mitch! LOL

This could be the game we all look back at and say that was the beginning of something special. And I have full confidence in Nagy right now to make it happen. Even if it's for a week. STOP that's the Bear fan of the past! :)
I've watched the game at least six times now. Biscuits destroyed the Bucs defense. I just want to see Mitch handle blitzes, and man coverage better. If he can do that, I will start getting REALLY excited.

The draft profile on Mitch was that he was the most NFL ready QB in terms of arm, size, athleticism, ability to process information, etc. The only thing he lacked was experience. I was down on him at the beginning of the year, because I was expecting too much from him too fast. I've learned patience.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Knuckles wrote:Those stats are freaking sick I still get dumbfounded when looking at them... I wanted them to pick Mitch so bad... When I heard they picked him I nearly gave myself hemorrhoids screaming so loud. I really thought he could be the QB we've been craving in Chicago. This was a good start I hope he can prove me right. For the city of Chicago and all the fans like myself across the country that have dealt with all the drama for decades please for the love of god keep it up Mitch! LOL

I've watched the game at least six times now. Biscuits destroyed the Bucs defense. I just want to see Mitch handle blitzes, and man coverage better. If he can do that, I will start getting REALLY excited.

The draft profile on Mitch was that he was the most NFL ready QB in terms of arm, size, athleticism, ability to process information, etc. The only thing he lacked was experience. I was down on him at the beginning of the year, because I was expecting too much from him too fast. I've learned patience.
It's a tough offense to run Alex Smith said such... It will take time you have to totally forget about last year because in terms of growth in this offense he's a rookie. You have to look at it like that or you'll get all caught up in the 'he's a bust' type talk like last week. He was raw in college but when you watched him you could just see he had a little of that confidence and talent you see in guys like Rodgers and Brady. Not saying he will ever be that type of QB but you definitely saw some resemblances. He was IMHO the best QB in the draft but Watson was who I thought the Bears would take. What should get people excited is they've started to build this offense around things he did well back then... This is the trend and he fits the bill.

His biggest problem that he has to overcome is pre snap reads. I said this in another post but, he used to get signals from the sideline in college. You can see in the first 3 games he was still having issues with that. That's why some NFL gurus were down on him in the draft. But, we will see... One good year in this system and I believe he will hit that mark we all set for him.

One thing I can tell anyone that's on the fence with Mitch is he will do his best to be our franchise QB. Everything I've seen on this guy is he wants to be the best... In college and in the Pros he's proven he's just not saying that. If he fails it won't be from lack of effort.
docc
Head Coach

Just watched a replay without commercials.. Now I could see the game without the screaming and emotion of watching live,,
https://ok.ru/video/773078583876
Terrific play calls..D was pressuring without Blitz..amazing
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

So I was watching the game again, and I paid attention to the end of the first half, where the announcers were so critical of Nagy's use of the clock. I came up with a theory.

Nagy was up by 5 TD's, with a ridiculous defense. He was at a point on the field where he had the chance to give Parkey the opportunity to kick a 50 yard FG, in a game situation. That was practice for Parkey, nothing more. Call it what you want, but it was Nagy giving his players some critical in-game reps.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
BearButtseks wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:My favorite play of the whole game was Nichols getting into the backfield in a nanosecond and just blowing up that RB. If Hicks gets suspended I'd love to see what Nichols can do with serious playing time.
Hell yes, that was top 3 for me as well. That is one of those plays where I just laugh out loud when I'm watching it live. Total dominance.
It was a blocking mental mistake. It was one of those things that as a Bears fan, it's spectacular with a big hit in the backfield. But technically it was just a mental whoopsie on their part. You can't give Nichols that much credit for not being blocked. I'm not saying that he's bad or anything like that. But the play before or after when he got off the block to make the play was a better football play.
I watched that play again. Yes it was a missed block. But the Bears FORCED that error. Mack was lined up on that side, next to Nichols, and the LG slid to his left to help with Mack (who never moved), and no one slid over to pick up Nichols. It was the mere presence of Mack that caused that TFL. So yes it was a missed assignment, but it was caused by the Bears' defense.
Middleguard
MVP

Not a good game for predictions, routs rarely are, but a great game for Bears so I'm sure none of us mind being as far off as we were:
1118 AZ_Bearfan
1152 The Marshall Plan
1178 Funkster
1274 Richie
1374 wab
1568 HurricaneBear
2976 BearButtseks
1622 florio (from wab)*
1766 VA_Mountain_Bear
1832 Bears Whiskey Nut
1922 G08
1950 malk
1976 Otis Day / WagonForce
2042 Mr.Irrelevant
2048 Z Bear
2058 Bearfanuk
2186 Atkins&Rebel
2606 MDS (from wab)*
2744 Mikefive
3182 mmmc_35
3714 DaSuperfan

Duplicate predictions
1862 Nanky
1832 Boris13c
1976 UOK
1922 Middleguard
2058 Knuckles
2058 GSH

* will not count in this week's average unless they join this forum and acknowledge themselves
** Ormazd made 2 predictions in the same post. It would be unfair to credit him with the better prediction, and the poorer prediction was worse than this week's average, so I'm not crediting him with any prediction.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote:Not a good game for predictions, routs rarely are, but a great game for Bears so I'm sure none of us mind being as far off as we were:
1118 AZ_Bearfan
1152 The Marshall Plan
1178 Funkster
1274 Richie
1374 wab
1568 HurricaneBear
2976 BearButtseks
1622 florio (from wab)*
1766 VA_Mountain_Bear
1832 Bears Whiskey Nut
1922 G08
1950 malk
2042 Mr.Irrelevant
2048 Z Bear
2058 Bearfanuk
2186 Atkins&Rebel
2606 MDS (from wab)*
2744 Mikefive
3182 mmmc_35
3714 DaSuperfan

Duplicate predictions
1862 Nanky
1832 Boris13c
1976 UOK
1922 Middleguard
2058 Knuckles
2058 GSH

* will not count in this week's average unless they join this forum and acknowledge themselves
** Ormazd made 2 predictions in the same post. It would be unfair to credit him with the better prediction, and the poorer prediction was worse than this week's average, so I'm not crediting him with any prediction.
As long as I beat G08. That's all that matters.
Ormazd
MVP

Middleguard wrote:Not a good game for predictions, routs rarely are, but a great game for Bears so I'm sure none of us mind being as far off as we were:
1118 AZ_Bearfan
1152 The Marshall Plan
1178 Funkster
1274 Richie
1374 wab
1568 HurricaneBear
2976 BearButtseks
1622 florio (from wab)*
1766 VA_Mountain_Bear
1832 Bears Whiskey Nut
1922 G08
1950 malk
2042 Mr.Irrelevant
2048 Z Bear
2058 Bearfanuk
2186 Atkins&Rebel
2606 MDS (from wab)*
2744 Mikefive
3182 mmmc_35
3714 DaSuperfan

Duplicate predictions
1862 Nanky
1832 Boris13c
1976 UOK
1922 Middleguard
2058 Knuckles
2058 GSH

Oh, no! I suck again!
Z Bear
MVP

Middleguard wrote: * will not count in this week's average unless they join this forum and acknowledge themselves

They are not members, those are the predictors on Pro Football Talk (Mike Florio and Michael David Smith)
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
1118 AZ_Bearfan
1152 The Marshall Plan
1178 Funkster
1274 Richie
1374 wab
1568 HurricaneBear
2976 BearButtseks
1622 florio (from wab)*
1766 VA_Mountain_Bear
1832 Bears Whiskey Nut
1922 G08
1950 malk
2042 Mr.Irrelevant
2048 Z Bear
2058 Bearfanuk
2186 Atkins&Rebel
2606 MDS (from wab)*
2744 Mikefive
3182 mmmc_35
3714 DaSuperfan

Duplicate predictions
1862 Nanky
1832 Boris13c
1976 UOK
1922 Middleguard
2058 Knuckles
2058 GSH

As long as I beat G08. That's all that matters.
:lol: :toast:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Apparently I am terrible