The Dreaded QB Thread...

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IotaNet
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I hate to say this, but I will. Only because I pressed it ad nauseum for years. If Cutler was in the same offensive scheme the entire time he was in Chicago, that era would be much different. Lovie never gets fired, and Emery/Trestman never happens. That was a total failure by the organization.
This.
Right.
Here.

Whenever I think of Cutler, my mind goes back to that Sunday night game against the Giants were he was sacked 9 times. Jay was getting brutalized but he just kept getting back up.

For that to happen is a total organizational failure and endemic of the Cutler era (Right up there with getting rid of Greg Olson.)

No QB could have been successful under those circumstances.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I hate to say this, but I will. Only because I pressed it ad nauseum for years. If Cutler was in the same offensive scheme the entire time he was in Chicago, that era would be much different. Lovie never gets fired, and Emery/Trestman never happens. That was a total failure by the organization.
This.
Right.
Here.

Whenever I think of Cutler, my mind goes back to that Sunday night game against the Giants were he was sacked 9 times. Jay was getting brutalized but he just kept getting back up.

For that to happen is a total organizational failure and endemic of the Cutler era (Right up there with getting rid of Greg Olson.)

Just look at how the team fell apart if/when Cutler got hurt (save for Josh McCown who went 3-2).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

well the title of the thread is now more correct since Cutler has been added into it

there were many issues with Cutler's reign, some of it his own fault, much of it the team's fault ... and most Cutler discussions ended up getting pretty heated with the pro-Cutler vs anti-Cutler crowds

the big thing I take from his time is never at any time having any feeling of confidence the offense would do what it needed to do ... there was always hope combined with a portent of doom

fast forward to our current scenario and there is hope combined with anticipation, which is much better :thumbsup:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:Whenever I think of Cutler, my mind goes back to that Sunday night game against the Giants were he was sacked 9 times. Jay was getting brutalized but he just kept getting back up.
And that was just in the first half wasn't it?!

Anyway, here's a little more evidence of Trubisky's improvement as the season's progressed courtesy of Potash over at the Sun Times:

In the first three weeks of the season, Trubisky was 25th in the NFL in passer rating (77.8).

In the last seven weeks, he’s fifth (114.8).

Top quarterback ratings since Week 4:
1. Drew Brees, Saints, 123.1
2. Russell Wilson, Seahawks, 119.7
3. Matt Ryan, Falcons, 116.1
4. Philip Rivers, Chargers, 115.2
5. Trubisky, 114.8
6. Jared Goff, Rams, 113.8
7. Carson Wentz, Eagles, 112.2
8. Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs, 107.5
9. Deshaun Watson, Texans, 107.3
10. Andrew Luck, Colts, 105.2
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:
IotaNet wrote:Whenever I think of Cutler, my mind goes back to that Sunday night game against the Giants were he was sacked 9 times. Jay was getting brutalized but he just kept getting back up.

Anyway, here's a little more evidence of Trubisky's improvement as the season's progressed courtesy of Potash over at the Sun Times:

In the first three weeks of the season, Trubisky was 25th in the NFL in passer rating (77.8).

5. Trubisky, 114.8
Hmmm...he's ahead of Watson and Mahomes...just sayin'.

But according to Mike Lombardi he's still worthless, and a terrible QB. So let's believe him instead.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Mitch Trubisky is the first Bears QB ever to post 3 different 300 yard/3 TD games in the same season.

Took all of 9 games with Swaggy Nagy :thumbsup:
You said it!

That dude is pure swag.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
This.
Right.
Here.

100% correct.

Cutler got so much shit and over what? Multiple HC's, revolving door at OC, a dogshit o-line, the aging defense that finally rolled over. He did have quite a few boneheaded INTs, but in his defense I think the guy was trying to make stuff happen knowing that the overall situation he was in was fucked anyway.

Trade Martz and those 5 or 7 step drops with a swiss cheese o-line for what we have now and Cutler takes us to a Super Bowl in those early years while the defense still held up.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

"He's not the hero we wanted, but he is the hero we needed."

That is what I think of when I think of Jay Cutler. We wanted the savior, the golden quarterback who would walk in and be everything a franchise qb should be. Jay was not that guy. But you know, I believe that guy wouldn't have survived here. Not with this fanbase and this media, at that time. The pot of years of Qb frustration had reached a boil when Jay was traded for. Jay's personality was the perfect match to withstand that. And his talent was enough to really show Chicago, and the McCaskey's, what a true franchise qb could possibly be and would need around him.

This city needed that, desperatly. The team needed that desperatly. And most importantly, the McCaskey's needed to see that. Jay Cutler was not the hero we wanted. But Jay Cutler was the hero we needed. The cursebreaker. A QB who came in and paved the way for another to be the savior.

I believe the savior is here now. He wears a sleeve and torches defense's with his arm and legs. His name is Mitchell Trubisky and he will lead us all to the promised land.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote:"He's not the hero we wanted, but he is the hero we needed."

That is what I think of when I think of Jay Cutler. We wanted the savior, the golden quarterback who would walk in and be everything a franchise qb should be. Jay was not that guy. But you know, I believe that guy wouldn't have survived here. Not with this fanbase and this media, at that time. The pot of years of Qb frustration had reached a boil when Jay was traded for. Jay's personality was the perfect match to withstand that. And his talent was enough to really show Chicago, and the McCaskey's, what a true franchise qb could possibly be and would need around him.

This city needed that, desperatly. The team needed that desperatly. And most importantly, the McCaskey's needed to see that. Jay Cutler was not the hero we wanted. But Jay Cutler was the hero we needed. The cursebreaker. A QB who came in and paved the way for another to be the savior.

I believe the savior is here now. He wears a sleeve and torches defense's with his arm and legs. His name is Mitchell Trubisky and he will lead us all to the promised land.
I will correct you on that. The saviors are here and their names are Pace and Nagy. Trubisky doesn't develop without Nagy, and Nagy isn't here without a vision from Pace. Trubisky is the savior QB, but ALL of the right pieces are in place now, and the organization has figured out how to remove itself from the picture.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
HurricaneBear wrote:"He's not the hero we wanted, but he is the hero we needed."

I will correct you on that. The saviors are here and their names are Pace and Nagy. Trubisky doesn't develop without Nagy, and Nagy isn't here without a vision from Pace. Trubisky is the savior QB, but ALL of the right pieces are in place now, and the organization has figured out how to remove itself from the picture.
Agree 100% on Pace and Nagy and the way you put this. I don't know that I'd call Trubisky "the savior", just because I don't like that term. But he's pretty decent now, trending upward and I have a lot of faith that he'll take us far. But as you said, that's a team effort, not a prince riding in on his white horse.

Biscuit just has the perfect personality for this role. Humble enough to learn, support and appeal to his teammates and be beloved by fans. Yet confident enough to make big throws and not have the game be too big for him. It can be a delicate balance, but he manages it exquisitely. :)

I think management has removed themselves for some time. But when you're losing it's everybody else that presupposes their involvement. Of course, we're winning now. So nobody is thinking about them.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

I think the difference between Cutler and Mitch are...

1. Mitch wants to be the best QB he studies like it and is willing to learn. I never got that feeling from Cutler. Cutler IMHO never wanted to learn because he thought he was the best, unlike Mitch who wants to be the best. Just look at Mitch on the sideline compared to Cutler... He's talking with coaches, looking at the pad with Daniels and the QB coach discussing plays while Cutler would sit there by himself looking like he didn't want to be there not even looking at a pad or discussing anything with a coach.

2. Listening to Mitch on the sideline when Nagy challenged him to take the game over and he was saying yes sir, total respect of the coach compared to Cutler who screamed to Martz to go F himself so loud you heard it on TV.

3. Mitch has energy and swagger when he's on the field and speaking in pressers. Unlike Cutler who always seemed like he didn't give a damn and other than a few hard runs cutler had he rarely was inspiring to the rest of the team (or fanbase).

4. Obviously, having the coaching staff we have now for Mitch is a HUGE factor in comparing both performances knowing that Cutler never had the same OC for more than a handful of years. But, also knowing that out of all of the OCs one couldn't stick? Even Martz? I find the argument about the OC revolving door to be flawed to an extent just because he never really took off under any of them as Mitch has this year. And Cutler was young when he came to the Bears... I get it though this staff is built for the offense and the what ifs with Cutler but IMHO if Cutler was our QB this year he still wouldn't be "great". It all comes down to wanting to be great and I never go the impression from him that he was willing to do everything possible to be great.

I loved the Cutler signing but each year after I became more and more disappointed in him. He just never improved and he wasn't that great of a QB to begin with. You watch Mitch and how he goes through progressions at such an early point in his career compared to Cutler even at the end of his. Cutler was more of a QB that if his main WR was covered he still threw it or dumped it off to Forte.

Mitch is faking after handoffs either he'll run like he has the ball or fake pass it which I've seen numerous times make a player hesitate. His hard count has gotten us a few first downs this season as well. He's learning this from the coaches and watching other QBs... Cutler never seemed to want to improve or incorporate something from another QB that he saw work. It's all about attitude and Mitch has it.

I think a lot of people also forget Cutler had diabetes and I think that played a huge factor in his demeanor and energy but still he just never seemed to take the next step for whatever reason. That's my opinion at least.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
HisRoyalSweetness wrote:

5. Trubisky, 114.8
Hmmm...he's ahead of Watson and Mahomes...just sayin'.

But according to Mike Lombardi he's still worthless, and a terrible QB. So let's believe him instead.
Rick Telander - Chicago Sun Times
(The whole article's a good read and talks a lot about the folly of comparing Trubisky with Cutler.)

Some dude named Michael Lombardi, a former Browns general manager, said on radio: ‘‘You couldn’t get me to buy Mitchell Trubisky if you had him on a discount rack at Filene’s Basement.’’

Look, I’ve been on media shows, and I know the accountability-free atmosphere goads you into saying extreme things and, eventually, stuff that is half-insane.

But this Lombardi guy — I mean, what?

First, Filene’s Basement went bankrupt in 2011. Second, Lombardi was the Browns’ GM when Mike Pettine was hired to be their coach in January 2014. In 2015, Pettine went 3-13 and was fired. Oh, and Lombardi was fired just after hiring Pettine.

Ex-pert!
In addition to his NFC Offensive Player of the Week award, here's some more snippets of encouragement in case we need any courtesy of the Sun Times:

In four of his last six games, Trubisky has had a passer rating higher than 100.

Trubisky currently ranks fourth in ESPN’s total QBR rankings.

Meanwhile, over at Pro Football Focus, Trubisky has a rating of... 60.6 (barely above average) and is ranked the 30th best QB! It's hard to give any credence to their ratings system when you see things like this, especially following a week in which Trubisky was the top performer. How his PFF rating continues to be so low in the face of all the other ratings systems, and what we can see with our own eyes, is a mystery. I sure as hell wouldn't pay to sign up for PFF Edge because when I see crap like this I just don't trust what they're saying.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I will say this about PFF. It takes into account the individual player and not the team. Maybe in a vacuum, that is Trubisky's rating ( I don't see it though). The fact of matter is Trubisky has led the Bears to three straight lopsided victories, and the top of the NFC North. This is a good team, he is learning the system and even starting to control it, and that's all that matters. Fuck Mike Lombardi. Fuck Pro Football Focus. Fuck 'em.
docc
Head Coach

Just Win Baby...
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I will say this about PFF. It takes into account the individual player and not the team. Maybe in a vacuum, that is Trubisky's rating ( I don't see it though). The fact of matter is Trubisky has led the Bears to three straight lopsided victories, and the top of the NFC North. This is a good team, he is learning the system and even starting to control it, and that's all that matters. Fuck Mike Lombardi. Fuck Pro Football Focus. Fuck 'em.
Yeah, fuck'em, with a god damn flame thrower.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Knuckles wrote:I think a lot of people also forget Cutler had diabetes and I think that played a huge factor in his demeanor and energy but still he just never seemed to take the next step for whatever reason. That's my opinion at least.
I'm a Type 1 Diabetic like Jay Cutler. It has no effect on your personality or energy level, unless you're in a blood sugar crisis, which happens, but shouldn't happen very often if your sugar levels are well managed. And there's no indication that Cutler's diabetic management was suspect. It would be almost impossible to be an NFL player in that case.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Pagan
MVP

PFF is that kid with a year or 2 of college & is now an expert.
In everything.

They do SOME things very well... but plenty of their evaluations are extremely flawed.
Without knowing Nagy or Fangios playbook & the specific play called per evaluation it's near impossible where to lay blame when a play breaks down.

They have other shortcomings as well... but it's all moot really.

Basically PFF got caught with their pants down creeping on Mitch from a bathroom stall & are STILL swearing that they're looking for a lost contact!

I'm not sure which I find more impressive:

1) PFF's Knuckleheaded idea to try & convince fans that a 6 & 3 QB with: 2,304 yards 19 TD 7 INT QBR 101.6 is among the VERY worst QBs in the NFL.

2) There are people stupid enough to give this line of thinking any traction.

Hey.. we ALL love us some NFL football (especially BEARS football)
BUT there IS such thing as trying to analyze a subject to the point where you ruin it for yourself/others.

I'll gladly take my untalented, shitty QB over every other 1 in the league.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:PFF is that kid with a year or 2 of college & is now an expert.
In everything.

They do SOME things very well... but plenty of their evaluations are extremely flawed.
Without knowing Nagy or Fangios playbook & the specific play called per evaluation it's near impossible where to lay blame when a play breaks down.

They have other shortcomings as well... but it's all moot really.

Basically PFF got caught with their pants down creeping on Mitch from a bathroom stall & are STILL swearing that they're looking for a lost contact!

I'm not sure which I find more impressive:

1) PFF's Knuckleheaded idea to try & convince fans that a 6 & 3 QB with: 2,304 yards 19 TD 7 INT QBR 101.6 is among the VERY worst QBs in the NFL.

2) There are people stupid enough to give this line of thinking any traction.

Hey.. we ALL love us some NFL football (especially BEARS football)
BUT there IS such thing as trying to analyze a subject to the point where you ruin it for yourself/others.

I'll gladly take my untalented, shitty QB over every other 1 in the league.
You're funny...
"Basically PFF got caught with their pants down creeping on Mitch from a bathroom stall & are STILL swearing that they're looking for a lost contact!" :)
IotaNet
MVP

Stats and website analysts be damned. I am a huge Trubisky supporter but I need to see him go against a top team's defense (i.e. Vikings) and lead the team to a win.

Does he have what it takes to read a defense and consistently make great, on-target, to the right receiver throws?
Can he lead a game-winning 80-yard drive when the team's back is against the wall?

Until he does that, the haters will keep on hating. Fortunately for all of us, the remaining games on the schedule WILL tell the tale. Personally, I don't think he's there yet ... next season is when it will finally click for him.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Mikefive wrote:
Knuckles wrote:I think a lot of people also forget Cutler had diabetes and I think that played a huge factor in his demeanor and energy but still he just never seemed to take the next step for whatever reason. That's my opinion at least.
I'm a Type 1 Diabetic like Jay Cutler. It has no effect on your personality or energy level, unless you're in a blood sugar crisis, which happens, but shouldn't happen very often if your sugar levels are well managed. And there's no indication that Cutler's diabetic management was suspect. It would be almost impossible to be an NFL player in that case.
Interesting... My doc is doing tests for diabetes on me because of energy and mood issues I'll find out in a week or so what's going on. That's why I mentioned that and I'm sure you're right about it being monitored by him and the med staff which should have kept it in check. I honestly don't know much about it other than what I was told recently by my doc and by some friends with it.

Glad to hear it's not that hard to keep in check...
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
docc
Head Coach

I am a diabetic..no mood swings god dammit son of a bitch,,er that I notice..fuck the world ..I need my .45 dammit..

So..no mood swings here :)
I am the same jolly sex object I have always been..
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Knuckles wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Interesting... My doc is doing tests for diabetes on me because of energy and mood issues I'll find out in a week or so what's going on. That's why I mentioned that and I'm sure you're right about it being monitored by him and the med staff which should have kept it in check. I honestly don't know much about it other than what I was told recently by my doc and by some friends with it.

Glad to hear it's not that hard to keep in check...
Read carefully.

If your blood sugars are excessively high, that certainly can affect your mood and decrease your energy level. And it will make you go pee all the time. But if Jay Cutler's in that state, he likely won't be able to play NFL football.

I said every indication was that Jay Cutler's diabetes was under control, not that "it's not that hard to keep in check." It may be not that hard if you're a disciplined and motivated individual or can learn to be.

docc
Head Coach

There are professional boxers and MMA that are diabetics...Indy drivers..Nascrap,,even F1 has had one of us sugar babies.. We are everywhere !!

With the professional care a NFL team has,,it's a non issue..

When I was diagnosed..I knew from symptoms..made an appointment..didn't make it. One of my CSRs found me passed out on floor next to my desk. My wife told doctor to get me in NOW but it was Friday..
I was semi comatose..slept until Monday..
When the nurse took my blood she shows me the meter..
"Do you see what this says?"
Yeah..81..
"NO..It says HI..the meter only goes to 800 !!"
So immediate life change..
This morning 101..
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Yeah. For me, I had been laid off from my job for months. Doc says the stress from that threw me into Type 1 at age 29. Was tired as all hell and sleeping a lot of the day while trying to go on job interviews. Went pee constantly. Got up 3x a night to go, which screwed with my sleep. Drank 1/2 gallon of OJ and 1/2 gallon of Hawaiian Punch every day. Got same kind of "HI" blood sugar reading at the doctor. My A1C was 18.0. Went from 160# to 129#.

Not at all good.

G08
Hall of Famer

A1C was 18!? Holy fucking shit dude.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
WP.1
Player of the Month

i guess new order from now on

right sleeve
left glove

yes remember was last year too.

glove @Lions
stop @Vikings
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:A1C was 18!? Holy fucking shit dude.
That pretty well summed it up.

docc
Head Coach

18...?
Your blood would make Mrs Butterworth Jealous..