Dear Coach Nagy

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Pagan
MVP

On the subject of J. Howard & the Bears (mis~perceived) running game in general, a few things come to mind:

#1. (& Possibly most importantly) Don't let the talking heads sway your opinions= They're selling commercial time & NOT news/facts (in general).

#2. Jordan Howard does NOT necessarily need to run the ball more this year!
Last year (2017), after the 1st 4 games J. Howard had only 1 (one) more rushing attempt than he has in 4
games in 2018.
Only 1 attempt difference.
Yes, it DOES "feel" like he's running less, but that's only the perception. The fact is... Jordan Howard has had
just about the same exact # of rushes from last year to this year.
He hasn't been as effective, so far (after only 4 games) his average has drooped from 3.5 ypc to 3.1 ypc so far
after 4 games.

#3 Jordan Howard can't (or finally CAN) catch the damn football!?!"
J. Howard has always been known as a very capable pass catcher... & Yes, he HAS just about caught everything
thrown his way this year... He did NOT have a terrible year with "the dropsies" in 2017.
In 2017, Howard finished the season with a 71.9% catching percentage.
(Better than both T. Hill & E. Elliot.

#4. "Jordan Howard isn't a fit in the Matt Nagy offense & should/will be traded".
I think this is also a false
assumption. It's only been 4 game sample, but so far I've seen a refreshingly intelligent shift on how an offense should be ran... & the ugly truth is that most of us simply are NOT used to seeing a modern NFL offense on this team.
It won't always be "the best player takes the field" on every play/game on Sundays= it's about the best "Match~up".

J. Howard will ABSOLUTELY have his break out games this year & it'll happen when he gives the team the best match up against the defenses we're going against.

Thank the gods (the old & the new) that this team doesnt have to be RB to the left, RB to the right RB up the gut.. Cloud of dust nonsense anymore.

Oh... & Yes, it TOTALLY makes sense to run Howard on those outside edges, at times.
I'm betting there's a very real strategy to it.
IotaNet
MVP

Pagan wrote:#1. (& Possibly most importantly) Don't let the talking heads sway your opinions= They're selling commercial time & NOT news/facts (in general).
This. Full stop.

Most of sports media is all about "Hot takes" and controversy. Those are designed to capture clicks and eyeballs, which are monetized -- and all of this is a busine$$.

That's fine but one has to be on the lookout the obvious (or just plain fishy) BS that spews from TV and the Interwebs when making an evaluation on the Bears. Has anyone noticed that all of a sudden, the Bears are becoming "trendy?" Even tho we were a top-ten defense last year?

Imagine what "the narrative" would be if we had won the GB game? I'm glad we DIDN'T but we would be 4-0 GIANT KILLERS right now!!!

Pump the brakes, enjoy the ride, and don't get put all in a tizzy by the talking heads and part-time bloggers.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:On the subject of J. Howard & the Bears (mis~perceived) running game in general, a few things come to mind:

#4. "Jordan Howard isn't a fit in the Matt Nagy offense & should/will be traded".
I think this is also a false
assumption. It's only been 4 game sample, but so far I've seen a refreshingly intelligent shift on how an offense should be ran... & the ugly truth is that most of us simply are NOT used to seeing a modern NFL offense on this team. It won't always be "the best player takes the field" on every play/game on Sundays= it's about the best "Match~up".
This right here. Martz, Trestman, Loggains ran THEIR offense, come hell or high water. They were calling plays they thought would work against the opposition's defensive tendencies, not against the specific personnel. Every week, Nagy and his staff are looking specifically at the weaknesses of the opposing defenses, and picking plays from the playbook, that SHOULD put the Bears in a position to succeed. Case in point, the strongest part of the TB defense was the front four, but their LB's and secondary was banged up. That's why Nagy used Cohen so much. He's also setting up future games, to play off of strong performances by players like Burton and Cohen. This IS a whole new modern offense, with strategic reasons for calling EVERY play. Not just now, but for games further down the schedule. Tampa Bay is not a terrible team. I think that Nagy had a TREMENDOUS gameplan, and completely exposed their weaknesses.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:Oh... & Yes, it TOTALLY makes sense to run Howard on those outside edges, at times.
The people who keep saying this need to work on reading comprehension. I never disagreed with this statement.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Pagan
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
Pagan wrote:Oh... & Yes, it TOTALLY makes sense to run Howard on those outside edges, at times.
The people who keep saying this need to work on reading comprehension. I never disagreed with this statement.

I'm glad that you agree Mike, this statement wasn't meant to be directed at you personally = I've heard this & a few other complaints about Howard's ability /Nagy play calling from a number of sources.
My comprehension is fine.