Update: Akiem Hicks will NOT be suspended

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Umbali
MVP

Has anyone heard if it is mandatory one game suspension because he bumped a ref? I know this is a homer thought but it didnt seem like it was towards the ref and the way they took forever to decide the call, maybe the felt that way too ( lol wishful thinking ).

Would be nice not to see him miss a game, but I would rather he miss the Miami game than the Patriots game.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
wab
Mod

I don't think he will get suspended. He doesn't have a history of this stuff. I think the ref was being a little bit of a baby about it, but whatever. The ref was still pushing him away like 10 yards away from the play.
UOK
Site Admin

There was a kluge of bodies and the ref got shoved because he got involved in the mix. Hicks was seeing red and a tiny man in a zebra coat got in the way. Nothing malicious. Fine for sure, but suspension? I'd hope not.
Umbali
MVP

That was my feeling on it but I dont trust my judgement lmao
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

How about Bilal Nichols coming in and playing pretty well? The depth on this team is so good, Hicks can sit for a half a game and we're still disrupting the backfield.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Hicks took it pretty well. Didn't run around yelling about "unfairness". I appreciate that he sat on the bench instead of causing a scene going in to the locker room.
wab
Mod

AZ_Bearfan wrote:Hicks took it pretty well. Didn't run around yelling about "unfairness". I appreciate that he sat on the bench instead of causing a scene going in to the locker room.
I believe there's a some nuance there. He can stay on the bench if he's disqualified, but he has to go to the locker room if he's ejected.
wab
Mod

And yeah, it's going to be tough keeping Nichols off the field.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I don't think he will get suspended. He doesn't have a history of this stuff. I think the ref was being a little bit of a baby about it, but whatever. The ref was still pushing him away like 10 yards away from the play.
As a former official, if you think initiated contact with you is intentional by a player, it's an automatic ejection no matter how slight and no questions asked. My guess is that he'll get the automatic 1 game suspension, but will appeal and could get the suspension overturned based on if he was pushed or something like that.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:Hicks took it pretty well. Didn't run around yelling about "unfairness". I appreciate that he sat on the bench instead of causing a scene going in to the locker room.
I thought if you were ejected that you had to go to the locker room.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote:And yeah, it's going to be tough keeping Nichols off the field.
But that's a good problem to have! It also makes it easier to have a great D line rotation so guys can go full speed every time they're on the field
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
I believe there's a some nuance there. He can stay on the bench if he's disqualified, but he has to go to the locker room if he's ejected.
OK. I missed that.

cblaz11
MVP

He left the field..and tossed his jersey AND PADS into the stands lol

Bullard made a big stop on a run play also...Nice to see some depth behind Hicks and Goldman.
LacertineForest
MVP

It was disheartening to see Hicks get ejected, but getting more playing time for young guys is a good thing, especially when you've got a 35-3 lead or whatever it was right before the half.
BR0D1E86
MVP

cblaz11 wrote:He left the field..and tossed his jersey AND PADS into the stands lol

Bullard made a big stop on a run play also...Nice to see some depth behind Hicks and Goldman.
Yeah, he didn’t leave at first, but I read somewhere that he eventually did and was real P.O’d when he did.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:And yeah, it's going to be tough keeping Nichols off the field.
Nichols is a beast. Both him and RRH are going to be good rotational DL. Both have outstanding quickness off of the snap.
Umbali
MVP

I love seeing the residual affect Mack is having on this team.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:How about Bilal Nichols coming in and playing pretty well? The depth on this team is so good, Hicks can sit for a half a game and we're still disrupting the backfield.
I think Nichols is amazing. A guy that big who moves that fast and with that power. Just awesome.

Miller is still my guy but it wouldn't surprise me if Nichols was the best player taken in this draft.

Where was Roquan?
Bad Flanders
MVP

My son was just pointing out the strength everywhere in the roster. He asked what I thought we were going to look for in the next draft and I said I wasn't sure. The more we thought about it the more we decided that... yeah... right tackle... but it's not like there aren't options there. It might actually be a best available situation simply because there are NO glaring holes. Although then I decided they will be looking for some talent to fill holes that the Mack deal will inevitably open due to lack of cap space... but still, this has to be the most complete and deepest roster we've had in quite a while.
wab
Mod

Bad Flanders wrote:My son was just pointing out the strength everywhere in the roster. He asked what I thought we were going to look for in the next draft and I said I wasn't sure. The more we thought about it the more we decided that... yeah... right tackle... but it's not like there aren't options there. It might actually be a best available situation simply because there are NO glaring holes. Although then I decided they will be looking for some talent to fill holes that the Mack deal will inevitably open due to lack of cap space... but still, this has to be the most complete and deepest roster we've had in quite a while.
I was thinking about this today too.

S - should they let Amos go.
RB - should they decide to replace Howard
RT - if the Coward experiment doesn't pan out
OG - depth and a future replacement for long
NT - a proper backup for Goldman
CB - if they can't retain Callahan

But aside from maaaaaybe RT, there really isn't a huge "need" spot. Definitely a draft for building quality depth.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:Where was Roquan?
Running around a lot without much to show for it, from what I remember.

(I haven't rewatched the game, so I could be off-base.)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote:

Covering OJ Howard (until he went out).
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:

I've watched it a couple of times. He had some pretty good tackles at the line of scrimmage, and was flying around the field. He'll get better as the year goes along, but I think he's playing pretty well for a rookie.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Bad Flanders wrote:My son was just pointing out the strength everywhere in the roster. He asked what I thought we were going to look for in the next draft and I said I wasn't sure. The more we thought about it the more we decided that... yeah... right tackle... but it's not like there aren't options there. It might actually be a best available situation simply because there are NO glaring holes. Although then I decided they will be looking for some talent to fill holes that the Mack deal will inevitably open due to lack of cap space... but still, this has to be the most complete and deepest roster we've had in quite a while.

But aside from maaaaaybe RT, there really isn't a huge "need" spot. Definitely a draft for building quality depth.
The right side of the line needs to be addressed. I don't think Massie is that great and Long seems to get injured a lot.
BR0D1E86
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:
wab wrote:

The right side of the line needs to be addressed. I don't think Massie is that great and Long seems to get injured a lot.
I think Massie is fine, if completely unspectacular. He’s also most likely gone after this year, so he definitely needs to be replaced.

Getting another young interior lineman would be good too. I don’t trust Kyle Long’s health.
GSH
MVP

Anyone seen word yet on what Akiem's punishment is? missing any game time?
BR0D1E86
MVP

GSH wrote:Anyone seen word yet on what Akiem's punishment is? missing any game time?
Nothing announced I don’t think. I’m hoping the fact that he missed a half keeps him from a suspension, but we’ll see.
UOK
Site Admin

@AdamHoge

Some good news for the #Bears: Akiem Hicks will not be suspended for making contact with an official in Sunday’s win over the Bucs, per source.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:@AdamHoge

Some good news for the #Bears: Akiem Hicks will not be suspended for making contact with an official in Sunday’s win over the Bucs, per source.
Good. He doesn't have a history, so that makes sense.
GSH
MVP

sweet