James Daniels to Start?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The early returns on this draft has to be an A+.

Roquan is doing good. Miller was doing really well until the injury. Daniels could be starting. Nichols has looked amazing.

I know its one play. But when I think back about some of the moments from this season so far, its the first drive against Green Bay, Mack, Roquan's sack on his first play, the 2 QB goal line pitch to Gabriel, and Nichols just destroying that RB against TB.
cblaz11
MVP

Add in rookie free agents also...I think Kevin Tolliver has a future as a starting cornerback.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:The early returns on this draft has to be an A+.

Roquan is doing good. Miller was doing really well until the injury. Daniels could be starting. Nichols has looked amazing.

I know its one play. But when I think back about some of the moments from this season so far, its the first drive against Green Bay, Mack, Roquan's sack on his first play, the 2 QB goal line pitch to Gabriel, and Nichols just destroying that RB against TB.
People who criticize Smith for looking a little lost, or missing tackles, are being WAY too critical. All signs point to Roquan Smith being a VERY good NFL LB. He is fast sideline to sideline on a level we haven't see around here in years. By midseason, Smith will be considered for DROY.
UOK
Site Admin

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/ ... o/auvgoyc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He also concerned himself with the welfare of the younger player battling for his job, helping Daniels in his first opportunity to play with the starters.

“He was coaching James as much as I was during that game and on the sideline, which is a great testament to Eric,” Hiestand said. “I was really pleased. Nobody likes having reps taken from you, but he knows that James has been working hard and has earned his opportunity. It wasn’t given to him; he earned it.”

Kush certainly isn’t obligated to help the just-turned-21 Daniels, who some day –maybe soon -- is expected to take his job. But he did.

“He’s coaching me just how anyone else would coach me,” Daniels said. “He always helps me. I really appreciate that.”

To Kush, it’s just what a teammate does. He says he and Daniels aren’t fighting each other; they’re fighting the opposing team.

“We’re both getting time, so I’ve got to tell him, ‘Hey, the guy I just went against did this, this and this and you have to be ready for it when you go in,’ ” the veteran said. “We’re trying to win. We’re professionals. If I know he’s going in the next series, I’ve got to tell him, ‘These are the moves I got, and he’s going to do the same for (you). We’re going to have fun and kick some butt together.”
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/ ... o/auvgoyc/
He also concerned himself with the welfare of the younger player battling for his job, helping Daniels in his first opportunity to play with the starters.

“He was coaching James as much as I was during that game and on the sideline, which is a great testament to Eric,” Hiestand said. “I was really pleased. Nobody likes having reps taken from you, but he knows that James has been working hard and has earned his opportunity. It wasn’t given to him; he earned it.”

Kush certainly isn’t obligated to help the just-turned-21 Daniels, who some day –maybe soon -- is expected to take his job. But he did.

“He’s coaching me just how anyone else would coach me,” Daniels said. “He always helps me. I really appreciate that.”

To Kush, it’s just what a teammate does. He says he and Daniels aren’t fighting each other; they’re fighting the opposing team.

“We’re both getting time, so I’ve got to tell him, ‘Hey, the guy I just went against did this, this and this and you have to be ready for it when you go in,’ ” the veteran said. “We’re trying to win. We’re professionals. If I know he’s going in the next series, I’ve got to tell him, ‘These are the moves I got, and he’s going to do the same for (you). We’re going to have fun and kick some butt together.”

^ Pretty dope of Kush, if you ask me.

I wonder if they are easing Daniels in because they don't think he has the stamina to last 4 quarters. Or, maybe, they want to get his feet wet and once they feel like he can handle all the looks and calls they'll make him the starter moving forward.

I will say this: I watched all his snaps the other night and came away impressed. He handled Vita Vea with greater ease than I would have expected.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/ ... o/auvgoyc/

^ Pretty dope of Kush, if you ask me.

I wonder if they are easing Daniels in because they don't think he has the stamina to last 4 quarters. Or, maybe, they want to get his feet wet and once they feel like he can handle all the looks and calls they'll make him the starter moving forward.

I will say this: I watched all his snaps the other night and came away impressed. He handled Vita Vea with greater ease than I would have expected.
Pretty smart of Kush too, if he does get cut by the Bears having a rep for bringing on teammates can only help in contract negotiations with a new team.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

Kush is one of those guys that will stick around for a while IMO. He can play all 3 interior positions in the event of an injury, and has even kicked out to RT in an emergence before in his career. He's one of those guys you need on your team.
Bad Flanders
MVP

The 2018 Chicago Bears off-season (and whatever you call it right up to opening day) is looking to go down in history as monumental.

Think about the holes this team had the evening of Dec 21, 2017 and what's happened to those positions, and they weren't just patched up, I can't think of one significant weakness that wasn't transformed into a significant strength by Sept 9, 2018.

The coaching staff, an entirely new receiving corp, and obviously linebacker. All while essentially keeping every single quality player that was already on the roster.

We should be rationalizing the losses right now, telling ourselves it's all so new and this is how a rebuild goes and it takes time for the culture to change...

Legendary off season.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

wab wrote:Kush is one of those guys that will stick around for a while IMO. He can play all 3 interior positions in the event of an injury, and has even kicked out to RT in an emergence before in his career. He's one of those guys you need on your team.
I hope you are right! I hate Kush as a starter but love him as a backup. That versatility you mentioned is so important for the linemen dressed on game days. He seems like a great teammate as well which is even better.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote:
wab wrote:Kush is one of those guys that will stick around for a while IMO. He can play all 3 interior positions in the event of an injury, and has even kicked out to RT in an emergence before in his career. He's one of those guys you need on your team.
I hope you are right! I hate Kush as a starter but love him as a backup. That versatility you mentioned is so important for the linemen dressed on game days. He seems like a great teammate as well which is even better.
Kush is the David Ross of the Bears.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
HurricaneBear wrote:
I don't see Kush going yard off Andrew Miller in Game 7 of the World Series, in what would be the final game of his MLB career.

(GO CUBBIES)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
HurricaneBear wrote:
I don't see Kush going yard off Andrew Miller in Game 7 of the World Series, in what would be the final game of his MLB career.

(GO CUBBIES)
:wink: No...probably not...

But Kush could pass pro in his final snap of the game, so Anthony Miller could run the yard, and score a TD for 7 points (including the PAT).
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bad Flanders wrote:

The 2018 Chicago Bears off-season (and whatever you call it right up to opening day) is looking to go down in history as monumental.

Think about the holes this team had the evening of Dec 21, 2017 and what's happened to those positions, and they weren't just patched up, I can't think of one significant weakness that wasn't transformed into a significant strength by Sept 9, 2018.

The coaching staff, an entirely new receiving corp, and obviously linebacker. All while essentially keeping every single quality player that was already on the roster.

We should be rationalizing the losses right now, telling ourselves it's all so new and this is how a rebuild goes and it takes time for the culture to change...

Legendary off season.
My favorite thing about Ryan Pace is that when he sees a problem he goes nuclear on it. No half assing, no wishy washy stuff. He's got brass balls with some of the moves he's made too.

The Biscuit trade.
The Mack trade.
Coaching staff overhaul except for Fangio.
Almost total WR corps turnover.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Anyone have any all-22 footage of Daniels from the Rams game. He really did a number on Donald. He had help to be sure, but that kid balled out when the team needed him most.
GSH
MVP

daniels is legit.

pace is a draft god.
docc
Head Coach

Pace=Epstein..

Revival of a previously moribund franchise..
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Like anything in life. A performance like this one can catapult an already good player to a great one. We have also already seen what can happen to an OL, when you inject a REALLY solid interior lineman into it, ala the Colts and Quentin Nelson. The question is, how does this performance launch this kid forward, along with the entire OL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Like anything in life. A performance like this one can catapult an already good player to a great one. We have also already seen what can happen to an OL, when you inject a REALLY solid interior lineman into it, ala the Colts and Quentin Nelson. The question is, how does this performance launch this kid forward, along with the entire OL?

Imagine how good it will be when Daniels is at centre and Whitehair at guard :P
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Like anything in life. A performance like this one can catapult an already good player to a great one. We have also already seen what can happen to an OL, when you inject a REALLY solid interior lineman into it, ala the Colts and Quentin Nelson. The question is, how does this performance launch this kid forward, along with the entire OL?

You had to go there...didn't you...
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
malk wrote:

The real question is where to play Long if Massive moves on...

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
malk wrote:

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
malk wrote:

How about on some other team?