QB Talent in the NFL

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Umbali
MVP

Wow until I saw it in list form, I hadnt given any thought to the age of so many of the QBs in the league. That is unreal.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so we get to witness the latest QB renaissance ... the "new age" of what the position is to become ... and we can then later tell our grandchildren about how we saw the old days when men stood in a pocket, took their lumps, and still threw TD passes

:wheelchair: :toast:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

I wonder how differentially good some of those players are and how many are helped by current NFL rules and offensive schemes. I.e. is it that there's an unexpected amount of talent or could it be that QBs are less important because the position has never been as accessible?

Lots of young QBs doing well early, Keenum with the Vikings, Foles with the Eagles...

Does it get to the point where teams start to think they can pick up, if not a Prescott or Wilson in the mid rounds, a Mahomes, Watson, Carr or Garappolo outside of the top five*?

*The answer is clearly no but I find it interesting...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:I wonder how differentially good some of those players are and how many are helped by current NFL rules and offensive schemes. I.e. is it that there's an unexpected amount of talent or could it be that QBs are less important because the position has never been as accessible?

Lots of young QBs doing well early, Keenum with the Vikings, Foles with the Eagles...

Does it get to the point where teams start to think they can pick up, if not a Prescott or Wilson in the mid rounds, a Mahomes, Watson, Carr or Garappolo outside of the top five*?

Keenum is 30 and Foles is 29 so I don't think they can be considered in the same category as Mahomes, Trubisky, Mayfield and others ... they are in a separate category - Retreads with new life ... that doesn't in any way take away from what they are accomplishing just that they are outside the spectrum of the new crop of QB's
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
malk wrote:I wonder how differentially good some of those players are and how many are helped by current NFL rules and offensive schemes. I.e. is it that there's an unexpected amount of talent or could it be that QBs are less important because the position has never been as accessible?

Keenum is 30 and Foles is 29 so I don't think they can be considered in the same category as Mahomes, Trubisky, Mayfield and others ... they are in a separate category - Retreads with new life ... that doesn't in any way take away from what they are accomplishing just that they are outside the spectrum of the new crop of QB's
I brought them up as examples of what kind of QB can succeed in the NFL now. Of course they're small sample sizes, just a season or part of a season each, but they still had success with those teams without having what would traditionally be perceived as top end talent.

So is, say, Watson a top end QB or a Keenum/Foles type, and how much does that matter?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

I brought them up as examples of what kind of QB can succeed in the NFL now. Of course they're small sample sizes, just a season or part of a season each, but they still had success with those teams without having what would traditionally be perceived as top end talent.

So is, say, Watson a top end QB or a Keenum/Foles type, and how much does that matter?

I think if you have a proper coaching staff it matters less than it used to because they will come up with a scheme to use what the QB can give rather than trying to force a QB into his system ... and that seems to now be happening with the new HC's as well as the old
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Rule changes have affected this a lot as well.
IotaNet
MVP

Boris13c wrote: I think if you have a proper coaching staff it matters less than it used to because they will come up with a scheme to use what the QB can give rather than trying to force a QB into his system ... and that seems to now be happening with the new HC's as well as the old
I think this is key.

Coaches are being more open-minded about what can work in the NFL and (successful) coaches are being far more flexible in adapting their systems to the talents of their quarterback and building around him.

What leaps to mind is Jeff Fisher (prototypical NFL dinosaur) vs. Sean McVay (quintessential NFL "New Jack") and their approach to Jared Goff.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell