The Quarter Pole - 3-1

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

My biggest takeaway from this season is for the most part we are healthy and that's such a huge change from years past it's incredible. Miller should be coming back soon as will Prince. Shaheen should be eligible I think in a few weeks not sure how the rule is if he has to sit out until week 6 or can come back early if he's recovered.

Offensively we have now seen what Nagy was preaching plays within plays and wow it was amazing to see last week.

Defensively minus the head scratching Packers game to me of not blitzing the crap out of a wounded QB we have been great. Basically two weird 4th quarters but they've been dominate.

Great start to season and I hope it continues.
wab
Mod

I look at the matchups with two variables. Talent and coaching.

Overall the Bears are more talented than the Dolphins, Bills, and Pats. Overall.

Obviously the Pats have one of the best coaches ever, so they get the edge. It's too early to say whether Nagy is a better coach than McDermott or Gase, so for me that's a push - so pure talent give the Bears an edge in those two games.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I look at the matchups with two variables. Talent and coaching.

Overall the Bears are more talented than the Dolphins, Bills, and Pats. Overall.

Obviously the Pats have one of the best coaches ever, so they get the edge. It's too early to say whether Nagy is a better coach than McDermott or Gase, so for me that's a push - so pure talent give the Bears an edge in those two games.
What about the Jets?
Middleguard
MVP

Based on the Patriots' performance so far this year, rather than on their reputation, I see the Bears with a comfortable win. But history should not be ignored. The Patriots started 2-2 last year as well, then won 8 straight. They also started 2-2 three years ago, then won 7 straight. The last time they lost game 7 was 2013 in overtime @ Jets.

I see the Dolphins as a tossup based on this year's performance, but historically, the Bears do not perform well in Florida, and they almost always lose the first game after their bye.

If the Bears lose to either the Bills or Jets... words fail me and I cannot think of anything awful enough to say.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The patriots seem to muddle around a bit the first 1/3 of the season, figuring out what bits fit, getting their line settled and then bang get hot.

They also get edleman back tonight, which will make their offense totally different as well. Edlemen will make the LB's and/or nickle-backs think a lot out there.
Umbali
MVP

Until the Pats actually really fall apart and arent a contender....then they are. Thats history.

That being said...I love this thread. This thread provides hope.

So my prediction is:

6 and 2.

I think we lose to the Pats in a close game that hopefully teaches us something.

I would like to see 3 things develop.

An impact by Floyd

Roquan being the stud he will eventually be. Wont mind early growth :)

White stepping up..and being use and producing. I cant hate on him..he works hard...would love to see him have some success.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

I'd rather not see the entire Bears franchise go 0 for 5 against Tom Brady. This is probably the last time he'll play against the Bears.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

KOP_Snake wrote:I'd rather not see the entire Bears franchise go 0 for 5 against Tom Brady. This is probably the last time he'll play against the Bears.
Well he is the GOAT.
MoFugger
Head Coach

I have them finishing 10-6. I believe I do know what kind of a team the Bears are going to be this year, I'm just still uncertain about the teams they are playing.
I have an unusual amount of optimism right now
docc
Head Coach

Bears getting a lot of love from Joe Shmuck and Acheman..near the end of Thursday night game..

And rightly so..
malk
Head Coach

Brady is throwing a lot of interceptions this year, 6 in five games, 3.4% of his passes. That's pretty much a career high and they're regular too. Only one game this season without an interception. Of course there's always the chance that he reverts to being great at any moment but if he's throwing that many picks without being pressured much, our defence must be salivating at the prospect of taking the GOAT down a peg or two.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:Brady is throwing a lot of interceptions this year, 6 in five games, 3.4% of his passes. That's pretty much a career high and they're regular too. Only one game this season without an interception. Of course there's always the chance that he reverts to being great at any moment but if he's throwing that many picks without being pressured much, our defence must be salivating at the prospect of taking the GOAT down a peg or two.
First of all, most of those were tipped balls. Ones where the receiver ABSOLUTELY should have caught it. They weren't mistakes by Brady. Secondly, my concern about that game is Josh Gordon. If the Pats can get him going, they are going to be really tough to stop. I watched the game last night. The Colts are a bad team, and NE really had no running game to speak of, but Brady will always be Brady.
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
malk wrote:Brady is throwing a lot of interceptions this year, 6 in five games, 3.4% of his passes. That's pretty much a career high and they're regular too. Only one game this season without an interception. Of course there's always the chance that he reverts to being great at any moment but if he's throwing that many picks without being pressured much, our defence must be salivating at the prospect of taking the GOAT down a peg or two.
First of all, most of those were tipped balls. Ones where the receiver ABSOLUTELY should have caught it. They weren't mistakes by Brady. Secondly, my concern about that game is Josh Gordon. If the Pats can get him going, they are going to be really tough to stop. I watched the game last night. The Colts are a bad team, and NE really had no running game to speak of, but Brady will always be Brady.
Good to know, I'd only been looking at the stats.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BR0D1E86
MVP

malk wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Good to know, I'd only been looking at the stats.
Yeah , two of them hit Hogan (I think) and Gronk in the numbers and bounced right off. The Patriots will still be the Patriots when we play them. It will be a really good test.
dplank
Hall of Famer

There are no cake walks in this league. As someone else earlier said, I'm going in expecting 2-2 and will be happy as hell with 3-1, over the moon with 4-0.

I could see us losing to either the Jets or Bills, we almost lost to Arizona so let's not assume we aren't capable of playing down a level.
WP.1
Player of the Month

just watched the Pats game. this could be a very interesting test for 10.

Pats used alot of only 3 men pass rush and if additional pass rush with big focus on contain the edge first.

even better its
first Chiefs
then Bears
lets see if they use same defense in both games.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

WP.1 wrote:just watched the Pats game. this could be a very interesting test for 10.

Pats used alot of only 3 men pass rush and if additional pass rush with big focus on contain the edge first.

even better its
first Chiefs
then Bears
Holy shit. I had no idea the Pats played the Chiefs the week prior to the Bears. Could that have lined up ANY BETTER for our beloved? My prediction just went to 4-0 over the next four games. WOW!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'd also like to see a dominant game from Roquan. 10 tackles and a sack.
Umbali
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
WP.1 wrote:just watched the Pats game. this could be a very interesting test for 10.

even better its
first Chiefs
then Bears
Holy shit. I had no idea the Pats played the Chiefs the week prior to the Bears. Could that have lined up ANY BETTER for our beloved? My prediction just went to 4-0 over the next four games. WOW!
that cuts both ways and with how well the Pats are always coached could hurt us as well.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
docc
Head Coach

NFC North W L T Pct PF PA Net Pts Home Away Div Conf Last 5 Streak
Chicago 3 1 0 .750 111 65 46 2-0-0 1-1-0 0-1-0 3-1-0 3-1-0 W-3
Green Bay 2 2 1 .500 115 114 1 2-0-1 0-2-0 1-1-1 1-2-1 2-2-1 L-1
Detroit 2 3 0 .400 125 137 -12 2-1-0 0-2-0 1-0-0 1-2-0 2-3-0 W-1
Minnesota 1 2 1 .375 90 110 -20 1-1-0 0-1-1 0-0-1 1-1-1 1-2-1 L-2

I Like This kinda Party,,
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

My money says that Belichick knows how to make an inexperienced young QB look bad. And watch Brady play stretches of the game in the no huddle to wear out our pass rush. I think experience is going to win out in that game, even if we might look better on paper.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:NFC North W L T Pct PF PA Net Pts Home Away Div Conf Last 5 Streak
Chicago 3 1 0 .750 111 65 46 2-0-0 1-1-0 0-1-0 3-1-0 3-1-0 W-3
Green Bay 2 2 1 .500 115 114 1 2-0-1 0-2-0 1-1-1 1-2-1 2-2-1 L-1
Detroit 2 3 0 .400 125 137 -12 2-1-0 0-2-0 1-0-0 1-2-0 2-3-0 W-1
Minnesota 1 2 1 .375 90 110 -20 1-1-0 0-1-1 0-0-1 1-1-1 1-2-1 L-2

I Like This kinda Party,,
Minny won, but they still have the worst point differential in the division. We have a 46 point differential, and the next closest division has a one point diff. I mean...WTF is going on? The Minnesota defense is NOT good. Not sure what happened from last year to this, but WOW!
G08
Hall of Famer

What am I looking for? Progress. I want to see progress and, God willing, a healthy team going through the second quarter of the season (and hopefully throughout the rest of the season).

I'm looking for MT10 to get more comfortable in this offense, and really I think when Adam Shaheen comes back it's going to change our offense for the better. I'd expect more 12 personnel (2 TE sets) which will keep defenses honest and allow Mitch to dictate run/pass based on if the defense is in base or nickel.

I want to see Roquan Smith get better in this defense and get home more on his blitzes. He's fires through the A/B gap with velocity but when he gets picked up by a RB he's not crushing them like he did in college. I want him to learn how to set them up better/get them off balance so he can run through them and into the QB. I think that'll come with time.

Right now... I'd describe it best as having my feet kicked up on the table, cigar in hand and smirk on my face. This is just fucking FUN to watch and deep down inside I feel it's the start of something great. That's when the anxiety/paranoia/25+ years of being a Bears fan kicks in and I immediately stop myself from getting too in front of my skis :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Bad Flanders
MVP

Mikefive wrote:My money says that Belichick knows how to make an inexperienced young QB look bad. And watch Brady play stretches of the game in the no huddle to wear out our pass rush. I think experience is going to win out in that game, even if we might look better on paper.
^this^ AND what G08 says

Mitch might not look great, the team might lose, but just show us some improvement in the face of increased adversity and we'll be okay.
WP.1
Player of the Month

just a quick breakdown Pats defense vs. Chiefs

formations nothing crazy
regular downs 3-3-5
2 min./passing downs 3-2-6
LB Roberts out / moving up SS Chung and secondary in SS Harmon

quick count pass rush
4 men - 10 times and 3 men + LB Van Noy trailing/press first - 12 times in all - 22 times
5+ - 5 times

TE Kelce not one specific player assigned
G08
Hall of Famer

WP.1 wrote:just a quick breakdown Pats defense vs. Chiefs

formations nothing crazy
regular downs 3-3-5
2 min./passing downs 3-2-6
LB Roberts out / moving up SS Chung and secondary in SS Harmon

quick count pass rush
4 men - 10 times and 3 men + LB Van Noy trailing/press first - 12 times in all - 22 times
5+ - 5 times

TE Kelce not one specific player assigned
Good stuff, thanks!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS