View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:39 pm 
Assistant Coach

There have been mixed reviews on Ryan Pace, depending on who you ask. Some think he's a great young GM. Other think he's been underwhelming, citing the moves for Trubisky, Kevin White, Mike Glennon, Leonard Floyd and others.

I know its early but now that his vision is starting to flourish AND now that he made the monster move to acquire Khalil Mack, I'm wondering what the the overall feeling is about him and the job he's done as GM?

Yes, I'm channeling my inner Kool Moe Dee

Last edited by IotaNet on Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:09 pm 
Journeyman

Let's see....

He came into a shit show, and made the right call to do a total gut and rebuild of the roster.
He was handcuffed with Fox, I suspect against his own wishes
He's drafted very well overall, including bigtime gems found in later rounds
He didn't reach or get impatient during free agency the prior 3 years while rebuilding, all deals were small with no cap hits to get out of them if they didn't work out
When he got to hire his own coach, he chose Nagy which looks like a home run
In that process, he managed to retain Vic Fangio as DC - a major coupe
He pulled off the Khalil Mack deal
We are now in year 4 of our rebuild, and we have a young, ascending team loaded with talent that's going to compete for a playoff spot this year.

I'd say he's done pretty well...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:50 pm 
Player of the Month

dplank wrote:
Let's see....

He came into a shit show, and made the right call to do a total gut and rebuild of the roster.
He didn't reach or get impatient during free agency the prior 3 years while rebuilding, all deals were small with no cap hits to get out of them if they didn't work out
We are now in year 4 of our rebuild, and we have a young, ascending team loaded with talent that's going to compete for a playoff spot this year.

+1 to this reply
I really liked how he didn't rush to spend gobs of cash in FA early, but let some of his picks develop, build up a good cap for a few years, and when he felt the team was ready to take the jump he went out and snagged a fantastic FA in Mack. That is excellent patience and long term planning. No GM hits on all their draft pics including #1s, but he has hit with a fair number of his total pics. I like him better than the past 30 years of GMs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:17 pm 
Journeyman

I think he has done a fantastic job overall, well noted by dplank. To me his one major gaff was overpaying to move up one spot to draft Trubisky when you had all 3 QBs still on the board. He gave up a lot of draft capital in that move and the Mack signing...but overall the team is light years ahead of where we were before Pace took over. If Mitchell progresses and the team keeps in the playoff hunt the next 3 years, it will all have been worth it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:39 pm 
Hall of Famer

People need to not criticize Pace for the Fox years. Most of that was all part of the rebuild plan. The plan was not to win during the Fox era. All of his FA signings were short contracts, to mid-level, or aging NFL players. The goal was to shed the poor players, keep the Bears in a good cap and draft position, and build through the draft;

In the last three years, he has drafted (in order);
2016 -- Floyd, Whitehair, Bullard, Kwiatkowski, Bush, Hall, Howard, DHC, Braverman
2017 -- Trubisky, Shaheen, Jackson, Cohen, Morgan
2018 -- Smith, Daniels, Miller, Iggy, Nichols, Fitts, Wims

As far as I can tell, there are only three players that are no longer on this team, and the bulk of those players are making significant contributions.

He went out and hired, what looks to be right now, a lock for Rookie Coach of the Year in Matt Nagy.

Once Pace knew he had his pieces, he signed in FA -- Robinson, Gabriel, Amukamara (re-signed), Goldman (Re-signed), Hicks (Re-signed), Burton, and the best defensive player in the league (that's Khalil Mack).

For a team that was slated to finish last in the NFC North this year, to now be sitting atop the that same division, and getting better every week.

I'd say that he's done alright. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:47 pm 
Practice Squad

If the Glennon signing was just to get Fox fired, then bravo Ryan Pace. Bravo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:11 pm 
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:
If the Glennon signing was just to get Fox fired, then bravo Ryan Pace. Bravo.

Not to get him fired. There was never an expectation that Fox was going to win. Fox was leaving after last year, no matter what happened. Pace was not going to risk having his star QB project mentored by John Fox. Glennon was not meant to come in and take this team to 10-6 and a WC berth. Never. Both Glennon and Fox were placeholders during the rebuild. Pace and McCaskey will never come out and say it publically, but that's what the strategy was.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:52 pm 
Pro Bowler

a lot. my answer is a lot. If I had a sister, id let him date her.

edit: on the glennon thing, tbh id probably have rather just started sanchez anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:45 am 
Head Coach

Jury is still out. He has done some very good things. The arrow is pointed skyward though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:53 am 
Crafty Veteran

dplank wrote:
Let's see....

That says it extremely well.

The only things I'd add are:

Drafting Kevin White which was a huge bust. Beasley and Gurley were both right there. Can you imagine this offense with Gurley?

I'm also not impressed with Roquan Smith yet. I hope we see a few big games from him this year. The holdout and the iPad irritate me too.

In the moment, I was really frustrated with the one slot trade up for Biscuit and then also Pace not trading for Marcus Peters which I think the Rams got for a pittance. However I'm really hopeful on Biscuit and then if we traded for Peters I doubt the Mack trade would've happened. Obviously I'd rather have Mack.

But look where we were a year ago and look where we are now. Night and day. Pace has played an enormous part in the that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next