Ryan Pace: How Ya Like Him Now?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Pagan
MVP

Chitex,
Welcome to the BFO.

Nothing wrong with having a different opinion, at all.. but it looks like you're dying on the wrong hill on this one.

Most of the members here are too bright to engage very far in such 1 sided debates.

Overlooking/being over critical of what Pace, Nagy & Trubiski have accomplished this (& previous years for some) is such a losing debate.

Better luck on that next post!
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

Pagan wrote:Chitex,
Welcome to the BFO.

Nothing wrong with having a different opinion, at all.. but it looks like you're dying on the wrong hill on this one.

Most of the members here are too bright to engage very far in such 1 sided debates.

Overlooking/being over critical of what Pace, Nagy & Trubiski have accomplished this (& previous years for some) is such a losing debate.

I think twitter and espn hot takes have made people want to take hardline stances to seem edgy. Any kind of nueance is seen as weak. With Pace, Nagy and Mitch it is way to early to have that kind of hardline take, but there is definitely an arrow pointing up feel to what is going on.
Pagan
MVP

KhalilSackDaddy wrote:
Pagan wrote:Chitex,
Welcome to the BFO.

I think twitter and espn hot takes have made people want to take hardline stances to seem edgy. Any kind of nueance is seen as weak. With Pace, Nagy and Mitch it is way to early to have that kind of hardline take, but there is definitely an arrow pointing up feel to what is going on.
I agree Marshall... I'm not I ducting anyone on my end.. I just don't get the "so and so hasn't proven anything" narratives.
The Bears were "supposed" to finish last place in the division, because very few could see the moves that have been successfully made the past few years to get this team. in the position to be where they currently are.
Chitex312
Rookie

Richie wrote:
Chitex312 wrote:When you have an organization that hasn't had a top 10 franchise quarterback ever since it's onset (ok, maybe Sid Luckman was one) and you completely whiff on drafting a talent like Mahomes or a Watson AFTER moving up to the #2 spot, the jury is STILL out on Ryan Pace and the front office. A lot of people have told me, Pace had to run out and get a guy like Khalil Mack to sure up the defense this year to cover his behind in drafting Trubisky so that "it doesn't seem as bad." There is a lot of truth to that--solidifying the defense is necessary when you don't have a reliable QB.

It's way too early to tell "how we like Ryan Pace" at this point. As Bears fans, we've been plagued in our own division by quarterback play, namely by the rivals to the north in Favre and Rodgers. When you get a chance to FINALLY draft a quarterback who is a sure talent, you would hope a GM would be able to finally solidify that position fully knowing the history of the Chicago Bears.

As of right now, it's a wait and see situation. I think our top rated defense, #1 scoring defense, and Nagy's play calling have protected Trubisky's development and reputation as a number 2 overall pick. I'd like to see Trubisky lead the Bears to several game winning drives and putting up decent numbers against top defenses around the league before I can call him a franchise QB for YEARS to come. If not, we better hope for a top rated defense with minimal injuries and several play makers on offense on a CONSISTENT basis for the next 5-10 years.
This post is confusing to me.

You're not sold on Trubisky. So, that means you just completely dismiss everything he's done with the rest of the team? That's all just "covering his ass". Lol... Gee, I bet there's a couple dozen other fan-bases out there who wish they had a GM capable of "covering his ass" like Pace.

To completely dismiss Pace's job with the personnel and coaching staff, as a whole - simply because you're "not sold yet" on Trubisky. That is absurd, I am sorry.

FWIW - I also must have missed where Watson is blowing away Trubisky. It sure doesn't seem that way from where I sit. I won't dispute that Mahomes is lighting things up at an unprecedented level, but Watson and Trubisky have fairly similar numbers. Not to mention, they have similar strengths/downfalls. I would say that they've been very comparable to this point.

No doubt, the Bears are finally headed in the right direction and a lot of credit does go to Pace in making those moves/risks in bringing in Nagy, going after the coveted Khalil Mack and brining in much needed help on offense with ARob, Trey Burton, Gabriel and drafting Miller.

The point I guess I'm trying to make is that it's too early to judge Ryan Pace right now. Yes, the turnaround has begun, but I'm sure you'd agree along with Bears nation that this success and turnaround has to be sustained for more than a just a couple of seasons. Trubisky is our guy and looking like a franchise QB, but I was just saying Pace did pass on options in drafting a QB that may have put us over the top on offense like Mahomes. I agree with what you said with Watson, comparing him and Tribs right now is a wash, but at the time of the draft what makes a GM choose a rather inexperienced college QB from North Carolina over a battled tested championship one from Clemson? Remember, Watson is coming off an injury he sustained last year as well and he's statistics have suffered because of it.

Like you said, Pace went out and got a once in a generation player like Mack, but he could have had that at QB in Mahomes as well. How potent and balanced of a team would we have for years to come if that decision had been made? That's all I'm saying, but hindsight is 20/20. I guess Pace gambled on Trubisky's potential in the NFL rather what was on film with very limited playing time that he had at UNC.

This season has been incredible and proud of this Bears team of being 11-4 right now, but I'm hoping we can remain legitimate Super Bowl contenders for a sustained period, kinda like our friendly neighbors up north because of that one dude in Aaron Rodgers.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

There were a lot of analysts that had Mahomes much further down the board. He was NOT considered a top ten pick.