Ryan Pace: How Ya Like Him Now?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
sturf wrote:It still is the most amazing sequence of events. First, Ryan Pace stayed disciplined and didn't chase a weak pass rusher market both in free agency and the draft even though it became the biggest hole on the team. He stayed committed to that all the way through training camp never even taking a flyer on a guy. Right or wrong Pace was clearly prepared to go into the season with Floyd in a cast and Lynch having not practiced all training camp.

Then somehow Mack comes available who is not only an elite pass rusher and player, but exactly the ideal type of pass rusher and player that the Bears needed in a power OLB to play opposite Floyd's versatility. The absolutely perfect player to fill that giant hole Pace had left on the roster. A hole Pace suddenly filled using all of that saved cap space and draft capital.
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner.

Pace is officially "The Man."
Minor quibble in that Pace did "take a flier" on Aaron Lynch, albeit a not very expensive one.

On your description of Mack, one thing that is underappreciated in the media is that he is a TREMENDOUS person, worker and leader, traits which carry exceptional value with Pace and the McCaskey organization. And as you said, Pace hit a grand slam there.

Along with Nagy being coach of the year, Ryan Pace wins executive of the year. Not sure I'm sticking my neck out so far on this one. But I'm calling it right here right now. :)
My memory could be wrong, but im pretty sure i had Nagy as coach of the year and pace as executive of the year in my 13-3 prediction in the season prediction thread. Just sayin :D
I guess I wasn't clear. I didn't predict anything regarding Nagy, but Nagy COY reports are already leaking out. I'm calling Pace as executive of the year.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
HurricaneBear wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
sturf wrote:It still is the most amazing sequence of events. First, Ryan Pace stayed disciplined and didn't chase a weak pass rusher market both in free agency and the draft even though it became the biggest hole on the team. He stayed committed to that all the way through training camp never even taking a flyer on a guy. Right or wrong Pace was clearly prepared to go into the season with Floyd in a cast and Lynch having not practiced all training camp.

Then somehow Mack comes available who is not only an elite pass rusher and player, but exactly the ideal type of pass rusher and player that the Bears needed in a power OLB to play opposite Floyd's versatility. The absolutely perfect player to fill that giant hole Pace had left on the roster. A hole Pace suddenly filled using all of that saved cap space and draft capital.

Minor quibble in that Pace did "take a flier" on Aaron Lynch, albeit a not very expensive one.

On your description of Mack, one thing that is underappreciated in the media is that he is a TREMENDOUS person, worker and leader, traits which carry exceptional value with Pace and the McCaskey organization. And as you said, Pace hit a grand slam there.

Along with Nagy being coach of the year, Ryan Pace wins executive of the year. Not sure I'm sticking my neck out so far on this one. But I'm calling it right here right now. :)
My memory could be wrong, but im pretty sure i had Nagy as coach of the year and pace as executive of the year in my 13-3 prediction in the season prediction thread. Just sayin :D
I guess I wasn't clear. I didn't predict anything regarding Nagy, but Nagy COY reports are already leaking out. I'm calling Pace as executive of the year.
I know, i was just joking around, and bragging a little bit because i called both a few months ago and i am so rarely even close to being right with my predictions.
Bearfacts
MVP

I'd say that once he became "unbundled" from John Fox last winter and given his shot at building the team his way he's been an All Pro GM and should finally get some recognition for it.

The trade up to secure Trubisky looks like it's bearing fruit. Mahomes may have peaked faster but has had advantages Mitch has not. I still believe he's the right guy for this team and always have

2018 FA was a masterpiece of work. Not only did he get ARob whom the Packers also wanted but when they tried to take Fuller away with a front loaded deal he immediately flipped them the bird and matched it. Then he added the supporting cast of Burton, Gabriel, and Miller turning a 2017 weakness into a strength.

But the coup de gras was Mack. Without him we aren't NFNC Champs.

What's kind of amusing is how both SF and GB lined up on Oakland's doorstep and thought they had him when along comes Pace and says excuse me John, excuse me Brian, but I'm here to pick up my new All World OLB. See you both later on.

When it was announced I got a kick out of GB guys saying "Oh man I thought he was coming here fo sho" and SF claiming they had made a better offer so why didn't Oakland deal with them. Of course we know why and also what it's been like to fail at getting prized UFAs for years.

Mack was a huge factor in both GB games and hopefully SF will regret missing out this coming weekend.

So yeah. I'm liking Ryan Pace right now a whole lot.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

Mikefive wrote:
HurricaneBear wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

Both for good reason. it wasn't to long ago that people were speculating that Pace probably should have been fired w/Fox, or at the least not get the extension. Now he's likely executive of the year, amazing what a offseason makes.
Nagy got a far better team then Fox ever had, but it's still year 1 and what he has gotten then team to from the last 3 years is spectacular.
G08
Hall of Famer

I wasn't sure wtf Pace was doing or thinking early on in his tenure here. Signing bums like Antrel Rolle, etc. I loved Mitch Trubisky pre-draft but I'll admit trading up for him left me perturbed. I was sure the kid would be there at 3, but if you read Adam Hoge's latest piece you quickly learn that #2 pick was for sale and multiple teams had Trubisky as QB1. Pace zeroed in on his target and got him, I have zero concern with that.

Now I look back at some of his other draft picks (Cohen, Shaheen) and wonder if he knew that he wasn't drafting for Fox and Loggains. This dude had a four or five year plan and executed it beautifully. Was it flawless? No... I hated the Kevin White pick and really hated the Mike Glennon signing (I still think that was a massive smoke screen, though).

All in all, his FA haul this past year coupled with trading for Mack, hiring Nagy AND retaining Fangio was elite GM work. Elite.

And God damnit is he handsome. I give it a 10, a fucking 10!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I wasn't sure wtf Pace was doing or thinking early on in his tenure here. Signing bums like Antrel Rolle, etc. I loved Mitch Trubisky pre-draft but I'll admit trading up for him left me perturbed. I was sure the kid would be there at 3, but if you read Adam Hoge's latest piece you quickly learn that #2 pick was for sale and multiple teams had Trubisky as QB1. Pace zeroed in on his target and got him, I have zero concern with that.

Now I look back at some of his other draft picks (Cohen, Shaheen) and wonder if he knew that he wasn't drafting for Fox and Loggains. This dude had a four or five year plan and executed it beautifully. Was it flawless? No... I hated the Kevin White pick and really hated the Mike Glennon signing (I still think that was a massive smoke screen, though).

All in all, his FA haul this past year coupled with trading for Mack, hiring Nagy AND retaining Fangio was elite GM work. Elite.

Look. Fox knew what his role was. He was a stop gap HC that was there to steward a rebuild of the Chicago Bears. Anyone that tells you that Fox was supposed to take the Bears to the Super Bowl, knows nothing about rebuilding a franchise, and is CERTAINLY not a Chicago Cubs fan. It was going to be a process of getting rid of shitty players, putting new players on the field that were not part of the future of the Bears, and shedding cap. You had to get out from underneath a couple of contracts, and you had to build through the draft.
Pace knew it, but never really said it, because it would be insulting to the players he was signing, and would reflect poorly on him as a GM. It might of even prevented him from signing the players he eventually wanted, because he would have been seen as an asshole NFL Executive. Pace has executed this rebuild beautifully. I give him a pass on Kevin White, because it was his very first, 1st round pick.

Remember. Pace was considered the heir apparent to the Saints GM job, and was their golden boy executive that they had been grooming for years. He was VERY highly thought of within the organization, and throughout the league.

If there is ONE thing that Pace has shown to be a master at, is finding value in rounds 3-6. He is a MASTER at it. That bodes very, very well for the Bears future.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:I wasn't sure wtf Pace was doing or thinking early on in his tenure here. Signing bums like Antrel Rolle, etc. I loved Mitch Trubisky pre-draft but I'll admit trading up for him left me perturbed. I was sure the kid would be there at 3, but if you read Adam Hoge's latest piece you quickly learn that #2 pick was for sale and multiple teams had Trubisky as QB1. Pace zeroed in on his target and got him, I have zero concern with that.

Look. Fox knew what his role was. He was a stop gap HC that was there to steward a rebuild of the Chicago Bears. Anyone that tells you that Fox was supposed to take the Bears to the Super Bowl, knows nothing about rebuilding a franchise, and is CERTAINLY not a Chicago Cubs fan. It was going to be a process of getting rid of shitty players, putting new players on the field that were not part of the future of the Bears, and shedding cap. You had to get out from underneath a couple of contracts, and you had to build through the draft.
Pace knew it, but never really said it, because it would be insulting to the players he was signing, and would reflect poorly on him as a GM. It might of even prevented him from signing the players he eventually wanted, because he would have been seen as an asshole NFL Executive. Pace has executed this rebuild beautifully. I give him a pass on Kevin White, because it was his very first, 1st round pick.

Remember. Pace was considered the heir apparent to the Saints GM job, and was their golden boy executive that they had been grooming for years. He was VERY highly thought of within the organization, and throughout the league.

If there is ONE thing that Pace has shown to be a master at, is finding value in rounds 3-6. He is a MASTER at it. That bodes very, very well for the Bears future.

This is said perfectly. Couldn't agree more.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

I'm still surprised, I guess I shouldn't be, by the people that act like Trubisky was going to be there at the #2 spot. As you pointed out, Hoge dispells this theory, and even the night of and the day after reports were coming out of SF and other teams behind the Bears that teams were calling about trades and they all stopped after the Bears took Trubisky. I heard it on the radio today.

He might not have been the best qb in this draft, but that doesn't change that he was the highest rated qb in the draft by GM's looking for a qb; and he wasn't likely going to be there at 3 since SF was more then willing to trade out of the #2 spot, and no one was moving up for a S or DE.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

He needs to keep stacking quality draft after quality draft and I believe he'll be here a long, long time God-willing.

The armchair draft nerds like myself like to think we can identify talented players, and for the most part I think we can tell you who looks good (Trubisky, Mahomes) and who looks awful (Kaaya, Kizer). Really, these dudes make their money by finding talented players that are intelligent AND have outstanding character. I don't think that can be emphasized enough; I can't tell you how many times I've watched player interviews (bless you, YouTube) and they talk about how much they love this team, the players, and how tight-knit they are.

Z Bear
MVP

A lot of that comes from Nagy. Trey Burton was on Total Access the other night and he was asked why Club Dub came about. Evidently after the preseason win in Denver the team went back to the locker room and everyone got on their phones with little interaction. Nagy called everyone together and jumped their shit about enjoying success because it does not come easy in this league.
G08
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote:A lot of that comes from Nagy. Trey Burton was on Total Access the other night and he was asked why Club Dub came about. Evidently after the preseason win in Denver the team went back to the locker room and everyone got on their phones with little interaction. Nagy called everyone together and jumped their shit about enjoying success because it does not come easy in this league.
I saw that interview! Never knew that anecdote and I fucking love it -- now it's become a national sensation!!

Yes, Mrs. G08 and doggo Watson partake in this after each 'dub' :lol:

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The first time I saw "Club Dub" on a Youtube video, it hit me. This locker room LOVES their coach. They were having a bash but when he started talking they all just soaked up every word he said. It was pretty amazing. That's when I knew Nagy has this team in the palm of his hand.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote:The first time I saw "Club Dub" on a Youtube video, it hit me. This locker room LOVES their coach. They were having a bash but when he started talking they all just soaked up every word he said. It was pretty amazing. That's when I knew Nagy has this team in the palm of his hand.

Winning has a tendency to do that. Not taking anything away from Nagy AT ALL. But he has stepped up, and proved to these players, that if they just trust him and do what he says, they are going to win games. Which is ultimately what MOST players want to do.
Chitex312
Rookie

When you have an organization that hasn't had a top 10 franchise quarterback ever since it's onset (ok, maybe Sid Luckman was one) and you completely whiff on drafting a talent like Mahomes or a Watson AFTER moving up to the #2 spot, the jury is STILL out on Ryan Pace and the front office. A lot of people have told me, Pace had to run out and get a guy like Khalil Mack to sure up the defense this year to cover his behind in drafting Trubisky so that "it doesn't seem as bad." There is a lot of truth to that--solidifying the defense is necessary when you don't have a reliable QB.

It's way too early to tell "how we like Ryan Pace" at this point. As Bears fans, we've been plagued in our own division by quarterback play, namely by the rivals to the north in Favre and Rodgers. When you get a chance to FINALLY draft a quarterback who is a sure talent, you would hope a GM would be able to finally solidify that position fully knowing the history of the Chicago Bears.

As of right now, it's a wait and see situation. I think our top rated defense, #1 scoring defense, and Nagy's play calling have protected Trubisky's development and reputation as a number 2 overall pick. I'd like to see Trubisky lead the Bears to several game winning drives and putting up decent numbers against top defenses around the league before I can call him a franchise QB for YEARS to come. If not, we better hope for a top rated defense with minimal injuries and several play makers on offense on a CONSISTENT basis for the next 5-10 years.
Richie
MVP

I kind of wish that Baby Bear guy was still around. Boy, did he wind-up being wrong about a few things. Namely, Matt Nagy.
Last edited by Richie on Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richie
MVP

Chitex312 wrote:When you have an organization that hasn't had a top 10 franchise quarterback ever since it's onset (ok, maybe Sid Luckman was one) and you completely whiff on drafting a talent like Mahomes or a Watson AFTER moving up to the #2 spot, the jury is STILL out on Ryan Pace and the front office. A lot of people have told me, Pace had to run out and get a guy like Khalil Mack to sure up the defense this year to cover his behind in drafting Trubisky so that "it doesn't seem as bad." There is a lot of truth to that--solidifying the defense is necessary when you don't have a reliable QB.

It's way too early to tell "how we like Ryan Pace" at this point. As Bears fans, we've been plagued in our own division by quarterback play, namely by the rivals to the north in Favre and Rodgers. When you get a chance to FINALLY draft a quarterback who is a sure talent, you would hope a GM would be able to finally solidify that position fully knowing the history of the Chicago Bears.

As of right now, it's a wait and see situation. I think our top rated defense, #1 scoring defense, and Nagy's play calling have protected Trubisky's development and reputation as a number 2 overall pick. I'd like to see Trubisky lead the Bears to several game winning drives and putting up decent numbers against top defenses around the league before I can call him a franchise QB for YEARS to come. If not, we better hope for a top rated defense with minimal injuries and several play makers on offense on a CONSISTENT basis for the next 5-10 years.
This post is confusing to me.

You're not sold on Trubisky. So, that means you just completely dismiss everything he's done with the rest of the team? That's all just "covering his ass". Lol... Gee, I bet there's a couple dozen other fan-bases out there who wish they had a GM capable of "covering his ass" like Pace.

To completely dismiss Pace's job with the personnel and coaching staff, as a whole - simply because you're "not sold yet" on Trubisky. That is absurd, I am sorry.

FWIW - I also must have missed where Watson is blowing away Trubisky. It sure doesn't seem that way from where I sit. I won't dispute that Mahomes is lighting things up at an unprecedented level, but Watson and Trubisky have fairly similar numbers. Not to mention, they have similar strengths/downfalls. I would say that they've been very comparable to this point.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Chitex312 wrote:When you have an organization that hasn't had a top 10 franchise quarterback ever since it's onset (ok, maybe Sid Luckman was one) and you completely whiff on drafting a talent like Mahomes or a Watson AFTER moving up to the #2 spot, the jury is STILL out on Ryan Pace and the front office. A lot of people have told me, Pace had to run out and get a guy like Khalil Mack to sure up the defense this year to cover his behind in drafting Trubisky so that "it doesn't seem as bad." There is a lot of truth to that--solidifying the defense is necessary when you don't have a reliable QB.

I don't think any GM makes a player the highest paid on their side of the ball in the whole game to "cover their ass". I think you sign a player like that to such a deal because you are getting a chance to trade for a generational talent. Do you believe that if Bisky had magically lit up the scoreboard under John Fox that Pace would have said "Screw all this cap space, I don't need Mack on my D because I've got a great young QB!"? If so you'd have to explain why the Packers tried to get him. I think you go get Mack because...he is fricking Mack and they are actually willing to let him go. No other reasons needed.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:

You're not sold on Trubisky. So, that means you just completely dismiss everything he's done with the rest of the team? That's all just "covering his ass". Lol... Gee, I bet there's a couple dozen other fan-bases out there who wish they had a GM capable of "covering his ass" like Pace.

To completely dismiss Pace's job with the personnel and coaching staff, as a whole - simply because you're "not sold yet" on Trubisky. That is absurd, I am sorry.

FWIW - I also must have missed where Watson is blowing away Trubisky. It sure doesn't seem that way from where I sit. I won't dispute that Mahomes is lighting things up at an unprecedented level, but Watson and Trubisky have fairly similar numbers. Not to mention, they have similar strengths/downfalls. I would say that they've been very comparable to this point.
Well said. Agree. A GM is not going to “cover his ass” by signing the best defensive player in the league, to a record contract. He’s going to do it because Mack is a transformational talent.

At this point I’d take Biscuits over Watson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
docc
Head Coach

Biscuit has no Give Up.. I like that..
Kid has heart and guts..
Sometimes that's enough//

Mitch..Let's DO THIS!!!!!!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:

Pace really has done a fantastic job especially given the hole he had to climb out of. Fox wasn't his hire. Not much to speak of in terms of inherited talent. Look at what he has done since then.

No doubt there have been some swings and misses (Kevin White being a huge one and let's see how Floyd progresses), but his positive contributions easily outweigh the negatives.

The Nagy hire has been transformational.
Trading up in the draft for Biscuit.
The Mack trade.
There have been serious home runs in the later rounds of the draft: Goldman, Amos, Howard, Jackson, Cohen, Daniels, (My Guy) Anthony Miller, and Nichols (who has shown flashes from time to time).

Someone could make the argument that the Biscuit trade was a necessity. We needed a young franchise QB.

The Mack trade wasn't NECESSARY (we weren't in a defensive crisis; we had a top 10 defense prior), but it obviously turned an above average unit into an elite one and that impact was evident immediately. Pace saw the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to add a modern day Lawrence Taylor and went out and did it.

Nobody had us at this level going into the season.

I don't see what the criticism is of Pace at this point besides a few busted picks that every GM in the league makes.

In terms of Biscuit, this is really year 1, we're not going to know for sure until year 3 what we really have with him. If he makes even marginal improvements from where he's at right now, I'll be ecstatic.
Pagan
MVP

Chitex,
Welcome to the BFO.

Nothing wrong with having a different opinion, at all.. but it looks like you're dying on the wrong hill on this one.

Most of the members here are too bright to engage very far in such 1 sided debates.

Overlooking/being over critical of what Pace, Nagy & Trubiski have accomplished this (& previous years for some) is such a losing debate.

Better luck on that next post!
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

Pagan wrote:Chitex,
Welcome to the BFO.

Nothing wrong with having a different opinion, at all.. but it looks like you're dying on the wrong hill on this one.

Most of the members here are too bright to engage very far in such 1 sided debates.

Overlooking/being over critical of what Pace, Nagy & Trubiski have accomplished this (& previous years for some) is such a losing debate.

I think twitter and espn hot takes have made people want to take hardline stances to seem edgy. Any kind of nueance is seen as weak. With Pace, Nagy and Mitch it is way to early to have that kind of hardline take, but there is definitely an arrow pointing up feel to what is going on.
Pagan
MVP

KhalilSackDaddy wrote:
Pagan wrote:Chitex,
Welcome to the BFO.

I think twitter and espn hot takes have made people want to take hardline stances to seem edgy. Any kind of nueance is seen as weak. With Pace, Nagy and Mitch it is way to early to have that kind of hardline take, but there is definitely an arrow pointing up feel to what is going on.
I agree Marshall... I'm not I ducting anyone on my end.. I just don't get the "so and so hasn't proven anything" narratives.
The Bears were "supposed" to finish last place in the division, because very few could see the moves that have been successfully made the past few years to get this team. in the position to be where they currently are.
Chitex312
Rookie

Richie wrote:

No doubt, the Bears are finally headed in the right direction and a lot of credit does go to Pace in making those moves/risks in bringing in Nagy, going after the coveted Khalil Mack and brining in much needed help on offense with ARob, Trey Burton, Gabriel and drafting Miller.

The point I guess I'm trying to make is that it's too early to judge Ryan Pace right now. Yes, the turnaround has begun, but I'm sure you'd agree along with Bears nation that this success and turnaround has to be sustained for more than a just a couple of seasons. Trubisky is our guy and looking like a franchise QB, but I was just saying Pace did pass on options in drafting a QB that may have put us over the top on offense like Mahomes. I agree with what you said with Watson, comparing him and Tribs right now is a wash, but at the time of the draft what makes a GM choose a rather inexperienced college QB from North Carolina over a battled tested championship one from Clemson? Remember, Watson is coming off an injury he sustained last year as well and he's statistics have suffered because of it.

Like you said, Pace went out and got a once in a generation player like Mack, but he could have had that at QB in Mahomes as well. How potent and balanced of a team would we have for years to come if that decision had been made? That's all I'm saying, but hindsight is 20/20. I guess Pace gambled on Trubisky's potential in the NFL rather what was on film with very limited playing time that he had at UNC.

This season has been incredible and proud of this Bears team of being 11-4 right now, but I'm hoping we can remain legitimate Super Bowl contenders for a sustained period, kinda like our friendly neighbors up north because of that one dude in Aaron Rodgers.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

There were a lot of analysts that had Mahomes much further down the board. He was NOT considered a top ten pick.