Ryan Pace: How Ya Like Him Now?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Mikefive wrote:I have an old Bears jacket like this one that's like 20 years old
I have that exact same jacket.
docc
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
docc wrote:I wear my 25 year old Bears ball cap as I have for all these years..I have several old era caps..I have for many years a Bears Helmet in my office next to other Bears things. There was a time I worked with a company from Madison..UN-Bear-ABLE..

I hate the green and Urine..their ancestors..progeny..their kin..their hopes and dreams.. Cow tipping porcine glowing white..with their wiping wands..and bratwurst greasy skin..

Other than that..they're OK..
I have an old Bears jacket like this one that's like 20 years old that I wear in winter when it's not bitterly cold out. Last week I walked by some younger people and a female who looked to be in her late 20's told me she LOVED my old Bears jacket and wanted to buy it from me on the spot. I laughed and told her I liked my Bears jacket and wouldn't be giving it up. She was like "come on!" So my buddy tells her that she just needs to meet my price, which is $1000 and asked her if she was ready to pay that. She wasn't. :-P
I have the same jacket..but better I have a leather sleeved Bears jacket.. I'd take a photo but this time of year I keep it in my truck,,and it must be god dam freezin 60* tonight..
I also have the sleeveless "Ditka" sweater..
When I was a kid..I got a Bears windbreaker from a player while I was on sidelines at Wrigley..
Wore it almost everyday..wish I had it..and my uncle gave me a LEATHER helmet..

Worst of all..back in the day..when Bears were out of the running for Champ..and you would root for whatever team in our division..

Days long gone..
Long lost..
malk
Head Coach

Pagan wrote:It sure is fun to look back on some of these old topics & smile :)
I've still got concerns, we've won nothing yet! There's lots that is encouraging but, whilst I'd take it, I don't want to be like the Saints where we win one ring and barely compete otherwise. I've said it before, it's easy to manage the cap on the upswing, it's when you're good and have to pay your draft picks that it gets difficult.

All this said, Pace's drafting is fantastic and will cover a multitude of sins.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Haven't seen this anywhere yet, apologies if it's repost... Ryan Pace listed a Exec of the year by NFL writer Chris Wessling:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... candidates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pace bounced back from last year's failed free-agency class, headlined by head-scratching payouts to Mike Glennon and Markus Wheaton. After hiring Andy Reid disciple Matt Nagy to develop Mitchell Trubisky, Pace set about bolstering his quarterback's surrounding talent. The worst receiving corps in the league got a complete makeover with free-agent additions Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel and Trey Burton joined by second-round slot receiver Anthony Miller. How did those moves work out? Before suffering a shoulder injury in Week 11, Trubisky was on pace to set single-season franchise records for touchdowns and passing yards while also leading all quarterbacks in rushing yards.

On the other side of the ball, the Bears had the makings of a top-10 defense if they could re-sign their cornerbacks, add an impact edge rusher and find help at inside linebacker. Mission accomplished. Pace matched the Packers' offer sheet for Kyle Fuller, who has played at a Pro Bowl level this season. After reuniting former 49ers outside linebacker Aaron Lynch with defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, Pace swung for the fences in early September, paying a ransom in draft picks and salary for 2016 Defensive Player of the Year Khalil Mack. Fangio has reaped the rewards of that blockbuster, with Mack and first-round linebacker Roquan Smith leading a defense that ranks first by a wide margin in Football Outsiders' metrics.

How dramatic is Chicago's 2018 turnaround? The same organization that won just three division games in three years under John Fox recently matched that total with three NFC North wins in a 12-day span.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

I always liked him.

I knew that it was going to take him awhile to fix this roster, starting w/the QB and that terrible contract the QB had that he inherited. That team was old, untalented and had next to no young talent or depth.

It's not surprising to me that it took 3 years, and if Mack doesn't get handed to them on a silver platter 4 years to get this thing properly turned around.

Only real issue now is the lack of early picks in the draft over the next few years. Teams need draft help to keep their cap flexible, it's going to tighten b/c of a lack of rookie deals in over the next few years.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I was listening to the SCORE this morning and I always laugh when they talk about Pace at risk of losing his job after the Fox era. Either they are pushing that narrative to the meatball fans in Chicago, or they are really that naive. Ryan Pace was NEVER going to lose his job because because John Fox was hired, and they went 14-34 over three seasons. There was never ANY intention to be competitive during that time span. It was all about rebuilding.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I was listening to the SCORE this morning and I always laugh when they talk about Pace at risk of losing his job after the Fox era. Either they are pushing that narrative to the meatball fans in Chicago, or they are really that naive. Ryan Pace was NEVER going to lose his job because because John Fox was hired, and they went 14-34 over three seasons. There was never ANY intention to be competitive during that time span. It was all about rebuilding.
The Score flips between really good Bears coverage and complete and utter garbage. Their Pace stuff has always been terrible. They still have guys that talk about the trade up as if it was bad and Trubs was guaranteed to be there, like SF wasn't getting other calls, as if Chicago wasn't getting those same calls, or that teams behind them that were getting calls all of a sudden stopped getting calls when Trubs was drafted(all reported days after the trade) and somehow that Chicago was supposed to know just how far SF was willing to fall in the draft, it wasn't that far.

Some of it just has to be for the meatballs to call in giving what the caller thinks is a hot take, only to be mocked by the hosts. I will say it's gotten mostly better w/Bernstiend w/McKnight and the 2 afternoon guys, but the morning show took a step back. As much as I used to love Holmes, his show has gone into the dump lately. I think he just has to much on his plate w/teaching, being on TV and trying to do the evening show.
G08
Hall of Famer

The SCORE intentionally screens for meatballs, it's fucking stupid.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Pagan
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I was listening to the SCORE this morning and I always laugh when they talk about Pace at risk of losing his job after the Fox era. Either they are pushing that narrative to the meatball fans in Chicago, or they are really that naive. Ryan Pace was NEVER going to lose his job because because John Fox was hired, and they went 14-34 over three seasons. There was never ANY intention to be competitive during that time span. It was all about rebuilding.
This has been my exact thinking since the midway point of Fox's 1st year I believe it was.
I'd have to care enough to go searching through old posts.

I know we have some great fans here at the BFO, who are mostly immune to the local & national media bias, & I'll admit... it wasn't crystal clear for the 1st 2~3 years...

... but there WERE a few of us who saw the early moves for what they truly were = an unannounced Complete teardown & rebuild of this franchise.

It would've been nice if the franchise had the stones to make an official announcement of the rebuild~> like the Cubs did (2013?).
NFL football is much more fickle in these matters I suppose.
wab
Mod

I don't think there was zero intention of being competitive. I think they were expected to be competitive, but I don't they were expected to win a lot.

It was a "Hey, get this team and locker room right, we aren't worried about wins right now. You have three years...but f you win, you have more."
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I don't think there was zero intention of being competitive. I think they were expected to be competitive, but I don't they were expected to win a lot.

It was a "Hey, get this team and locker room right, we aren't worried about wins right now. You have three years...but f you win, you have more."

I think the wild cards in Fox's tenure were 1) losing Gase after the first year as OC, and 2) Glennon being as God-awful as he was. I truly believe Pace though he was, at the very least, getting a servicable journeyman QB in The Giraffe. He couldn't have possibly known he would be that bad.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:I don't think there was zero intention of being competitive. I think they were expected to be competitive, but I don't they were expected to win a lot.

I think the wild cards in Fox's tenure were 1) losing Gase after the first year as OC, and 2) Glennon being as God-awful as he was. I truly believe Pace though he was, at the very least, getting a servicable journeyman QB in The Giraffe. He couldn't have possibly known he would be that bad.
Weird how a lot of fans knew it but there's no way he could know it.
Pagan
MVP

KOP_Snake wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

I'm sure he aware of the risk.

Saying "all of the fans knew he would suck" is super easy considering the (mostly justified) level of pessimism surrounding Bears fans.

It's ALWAYS easier to expect the worst in sports, as in life.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Pagan wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

Saying "all of the fans knew he would suck" is super easy considering the (mostly justified) level of pessimism surrounding Bears fans.

Whatever man. Pace blew it on that. The best defense for Pace in that move is to speculate that it was just a draft smokescreen, that it wasn't a "real" signing. That it was a $15 million fake out. Its not his only move to be judged by, but its a clearly goes in the "against" column in Pace arguments, and saying "there's no way he could've seen that coming" is just apologist drivel.
Pagan
MVP

KOP_Snake wrote:
Pagan wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

Whatever man. Pace blew it on that. The best defense for Pace in that move is to speculate that it was just a draft smokescreen, that it wasn't a "real" signing. That it was a $15 million fake out. Its not his only move to be judged by, but its a clearly goes in the "against" column in Pace arguments, and saying "there's no way he could've seen that coming" is just apologist drivel.
KOP,
I think you're totally missing my point & the use of quotation marks.

1st: I don't know who you're quoting.. but it's certainly NOT me who said, "there's no way he could've seen that coming"!
You can't even paraphrase what I said to equate that, as I did from what you clearly wrote.

#2: There was every reason to believe that Glennon was that Chase Daniels style steady but not spectacular back up QB that, yes.. was scheduled to make as much as Cutler was making for 1 year AND reasons to believe that he would've made a better mentor to what Pace knew was going to be a newly drafted future franchise QB.

Glennon simply couldn't handle the pressure.
That's on Glennon.

Ultimately you're only proving my point really.

You're continuing that lame, played out, over simplified sports fan argument of.. either totally for or against a player/Coach/GM.

Real life doesn't work in such extremes.

Rational thinking isn't "apologist drivel".

As for your "wild card" thoughts on Fox's tenure...
I 100% agree. I would also add to your well thought out points that the 3 years of record setting injuries played a very large roll to his demise as well.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

One possibility that we'll never know is that Pace or his people talked to Brian Hoyer types pre-FA (illegal, but everyone does it) and none of those experienced guys wanted to come to the Bears for whatever reason. So he had to settle for the giraffe who would come here. Signing him as early and expensively as we did makes a lot more sense if he didn't have other options.

Just speculation, but there's some logic there.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think Pace wanted to give Glennon a shot misevaluation and also had it double down as a smoke screen that he wasn't really gunning for Trubisky with our high first round pick. Two bites at the apple... turns out that Glennon sucked but for the $18M or whatever it cost us I'd say it was worth it IF it played a role in helping us land Trubisky.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Pagan wrote:1st: I don't know who you're quoting.. but it's certainly NOT me who said, "there's no way he could've seen that coming"!
You can't even paraphrase what I said to equate that, as I did from what you clearly wrote.
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:He couldn't have possibly known he would be that bad.

You jumped in on the counter side to what I was writing, Pagan. You joined forces with BWN so now u gotta own that quote. Sorry bud.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

KOP_Snake wrote:
Pagan wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

So what are you saying? That Pace knew how bad Glennon was, but signed him anyway? That's silly. Pace thought that Glennon was going to be able to run the offense for a year, and allow Trubisky to develop. Didn't work out that way. Is that on Pace? Absolutely. Does he have to own it? Absolutely. But there was no way for Pace to know that Glennon was going to be that inept.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:
Pagan wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

So what are you saying? That Pace knew how bad Glennon was, but signed him anyway? That's silly. Pace thought that Glennon was going to be able to run the offense for a year, and allow Trubisky to develop. Didn't work out that way. Is that on Pace? Absolutely. Does he have to own it? Absolutely. But there was no way for Pace to know that Glennon was going to be that inept.

"Didn't" and "unable to" are different things. He didn't know how bad Glennon would be. He should've but didn't. And he was able to. The tape was out there. It's his job to know the talent when he sees it. I don't know why you have to give him a pass on it. Everything before the word "but" is bullshit, and...

"But there was no way for Pace to know that Glennon was going to be that inept."
Pagan
MVP

KOP_Snake wrote:
Pagan wrote:1st: I don't know who you're quoting.. but it's certainly NOT me who said, "there's no way he could've seen that coming"!

You jumped in on the counter side to what I was writing, Pagan. You joined forces with BWN so now u gotta own that quote. Sorry bud.
KOP I don't really know if you're having a meltdown or what.

So.. you didn't misquote me, you didn't do a shitty job of paraphrasing me & you didn't even twist my words to somehow fit your VERY I'll timed & nitpicky argument about the Bears GM....
INSTEAD.. you think it's wiser to put someone else's words on me?

Because you feel like I'm taking sides against you in, what I can only imagine is some sort of personal beef between you & BWN???

That's beyond weak dude.

My conversations are ALWAYS my own.

I agree & disagree with individual opinions & events = not stupid us against them BS.

Let's take it down a notch on the personal & stick to actual Bears topics that make sense please.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

KOP_Snake wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:
Pagan wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

"Didn't" and "unable to" are different things. He didn't know how bad Glennon would be. He should've but didn't. And he was able to. The tape was out there. It's his job to know the talent when he sees it. I don't know why you have to give him a pass on it. Everything before the word "but" is bullshit, and...

"But there was no way for Pace to know that Glennon was going to be that inept."
You're very passionate about this topic. No one is giving him a pass. But I'm certainly not going to judge his entire tenure based on that signing. Glennon had put some good tape out there, and that was what Pace was hoping he was getting. He tried to find a one year stop gap QB, in an era when QB's want multi-year contracts at $20M+ a season. Pace's decision to sign Glennon, and keep the Bears out of the salary cap hell that the Vikings or Lions now find themselves in, with mediocre QB's getting huge multi-year salaries, allowed us to sign Mack this year. So you can look at it that way as well. Again, not a pass for signing Glennon, but there is a silver lining.
EricTighe
MVP

We are excited about the Bears. Good picks or bad picks. Good signings or bad signings. This is the best team we have had since 84 through 89. To bitch about his job would be assinine.

Wonder how many people would actually not be proud of this team?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote:We are excited about the Bears. Good picks or bad picks. Good signings or bad signings. This is the best team we have had since 84 through 89. To bitch about his job would be assinine.

Wonder how many people would actually not be proud of this team?
The Browns and Raiders would take this team all day long.
EricTighe
MVP

Maybe not the Raiders since they gave us and the Cowboys the reason we get to the playoffs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Thanks Raider nation
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

EricTighe wrote:Maybe not the Raiders since they gave us and the Cowboys the reason we get to the playoffs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Thanks Raider nation
Took my son to get a haircut yesterday and the barber was saying he was a fan of the Raiders, and not happy w/Gruden. I spoke up and said hey why not, he's got 2 teams in the playoffs! He looked up like what? I said ya the Cowboys and the Bears.

true story, no one clapped. he laughed though.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Pagan wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:

KOP I don't really know if you're having a meltdown or what.

So.. you didn't misquote me, you didn't do a shitty job of paraphrasing me & you didn't even twist my words to somehow fit your VERY I'll timed & nitpicky argument about the Bears GM....
INSTEAD.. you think it's wiser to put someone else's words on me?

Because you feel like I'm taking sides against you in, what I can only imagine is some sort of personal beef between you & BWN???

That's beyond weak dude.

My conversations are ALWAYS my own.

I agree & disagree with individual opinions & events = not stupid us against them BS.

Let's take it down a notch on the personal & stick to actual Bears topics that make sense please.

Lol you are taking this beyond seriously.

I guess it boils down to:

-Pace mad a bad move. It doesn't make/break his career, but it was a bad move that he should've had the knowledge to know it was bad.

-I was joking mostly with what I said about jumping on with BWN, but this is a forum thread. Not a lot of room for "oh wait Pagan actually said this BWN said that, I better make sure I separate these conversations even though Pagan quoted a whole thread"
malk
Head Coach

Can we just all agree that Pace likes to overpay QBs? Hello Chase Daniel!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Pace is the best we've had in a long time. It takes a few drafts and FA classes to turn over a 53 man rooster. He used 1-year stop gap deals to fill in the first few years while he drafted and rebuilt. He never feared going up to get his guy, I like that conviction and it has mostly paid off. He resigned the 1 year vets who worked out for us. Found talent in the late and middle of draft. He kept the salary cap under control and his powder dry until he felt it was the right time to strike and got us Mack and Robinson, and kept Fuller and Amukamura. Has he missed some? Absolutely. Find me a GM on any sports team that hasn't. Do you see a winning rooster with depth and a good future ahead? He didn't get autonomy to pick his first HC, but do you like what you see here with Nagy? I do, that's Ryan Pace folks. I like him fine.
Pagan
MVP

If I quote & reply it'll take up an entire page at this point lol.

Apparently, armbaring & choking people out who are absolutely terrible at having convos is NOT a viable options.. So I'll just say this;
I honestly love how passionate our Bears fans here at the BFO are!

We're all hanging out spending our free time (some of you bums work time) here to share/debate/enjoy our shared fanaticism.

There's nothing wrong with different opinions & disagreements.
Let's all just take care to NOT let this wonderful place slide into the troll abyss that is Twitter & fb Bears groups please.