View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Search for:
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:39 pm 
Offline
Player of the Month

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:37 am
Posts: 289
I agree it is impossible to ever quantify how much Daniels may or may not have added to Mitch's development. However how many of the great QB's attributed their success to that veteran QB who helped teach them the ropes. ? Opposed to how many times they attributed their success to their Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator or Quarterback Coach. I think the veteran QB mentoring they young QB is a myth. I can see the value in having a backup familiar with the system, so if they need to jump in they can. But there's no upside to Daniels, I'd rather see a guy with the chance of having some upside get snaps. Then you can possiblily trade them ala Garoppolo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:58 pm 
Offline
Mod
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:19 am
Posts: 1343
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Rakshir wrote:
I agree it is impossible to ever quantify how much Daniels may or may not have added to Mitch's development. However how many of the great QB's attributed their success to that veteran QB who helped teach them the ropes. ? Opposed to how many times they attributed their success to their Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator or Quarterback Coach. I think the veteran QB mentoring they young QB is a myth. I can see the value in having a backup familiar with the system, so if they need to jump in they can. But there's no upside to Daniels, I'd rather see a guy with the chance of having some upside get snaps. Then you can possiblily trade them ala Garoppolo.


I believe Mitch has been quoted at least twice saying that he believes that Chase has been a huge help in transitioning from last years offense to Nagys QB intensive system.

Chase himself regularly states that his 1st job is helping the starter be prepared for the next game.

I DO agree with you that, as in many positions, players are generally unlikely to truly train their competitors to take their jobs.

I feel like Pace & Nagy are finding/coaching players who are great leaders & I suspect there are quite a few vets training up the younger players here.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:58 am 
Offline
Practice Squad
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:11 pm
Posts: 37
I think it kind of depends on the situation. Here w/not just a rookie/young qb, but a highly inexperienced one he probably needs more help from a vet, not just in how to play, but how to prepare. And remember coaches b/c of the cba only have so much time w/the players now, having a vet qb mentor probably helps more then it might have in past years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:38 pm 
Offline
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am
Posts: 706
Location: Minneapolis (Chicago Native)
KhalilSackDaddy wrote:
... And remember coaches b/c of the cba only have so much time w/the players now, having a vet qb mentor probably helps more then it might have in past years.
I hadn't considered this angle. Excellent point!


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:23 am 
Offline
Head Coach
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm
Posts: 2493
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Pagan wrote:
Rakshir wrote:
I agree it is impossible to ever quantify how much Daniels may or may not have added to Mitch's development. However how many of the great QB's attributed their success to that veteran QB who helped teach them the ropes. ? Opposed to how many times they attributed their success to their Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator or Quarterback Coach. I think the veteran QB mentoring they young QB is a myth. I can see the value in having a backup familiar with the system, so if they need to jump in they can. But there's no upside to Daniels, I'd rather see a guy with the chance of having some upside get snaps. Then you can possiblily trade them ala Garoppolo.


I believe Mitch has been quoted at least twice saying that he believes that Chase has been a huge help in transitioning from last years offense to Nagys QB intensive system.

Chase himself regularly states that his 1st job is helping the starter be prepared for the next game.

I DO agree with you that, as in many positions, players are generally unlikely to truly train their competitors to take their jobs.

I feel like Pace & Nagy are finding/coaching players who are great leaders & I suspect there are quite a few vets training up the younger players here.
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, because I don't know. But can you imagine Mitch saying... "Nah, Chase doesn't work with me much" or Chase saying "I have enough to learn in our offense and don't have time to babysit Mitch. He's a big boy." ????

Point is, talk is really, really cheap when guys are saying what the team wants them to say. Now that doesn't mean that you're wrong in any way, just that their words to that effect really shouldn't count as evidence.

_________________
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:36 pm 
Offline
Mod
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:19 am
Posts: 1343
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Mikefive wrote:
Pagan wrote:
Rakshir wrote:
I agree it is impossible to ever quantify how much Daniels may or may not have added to Mitch's development. However how many of the great QB's attributed their success to that veteran QB who helped teach them the ropes. ? Opposed to how many times they attributed their success to their Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator or Quarterback Coach. I think the veteran QB mentoring they young QB is a myth. I can see the value in having a backup familiar with the system, so if they need to jump in they can. But there's no upside to Daniels, I'd rather see a guy with the chance of having some upside get snaps. Then you can possiblily trade them ala Garoppolo.


I believe Mitch has been quoted at least twice saying that he believes that Chase has been a huge help in transitioning from last years offense to Nagys QB intensive system.

Chase himself regularly states that his 1st job is helping the starter be prepared for the next game.

I DO agree with you that, as in many positions, players are generally unlikely to truly train their competitors to take their jobs.

I feel like Pace & Nagy are finding/coaching players who are great leaders & I suspect there are quite a few vets training up the younger players here.
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, because I don't know. But can you imagine Mitch saying... "Nah, Chase doesn't work with me much" or Chase saying "I have enough to learn in our offense and don't have time to babysit Mitch. He's a big boy." ????

Point is, talk is really, really cheap when guys are saying what the team wants them to say. Now that doesn't mean that you're wrong in any way, just that their words to that effect really shouldn't count as evidence.


Totally agree.
Talk IS cheap.
100%.

Which is why, when it comes to all problem solving, I never just state an opinion.
It has to go through filters 1st.

My opinion Recipe:
I always take all of the garbage I hear, add it to the things I've seen, mix that stuff real good with what I've learned in life.... sprinkle on a dash of critical thinking..

& presto~ChangO = Educated opinion/correct observation discovered!

It's like magic really.
Only better.
Cuz it uses higher reasoning skills & observable facts.

* * *

It's not that a 2 sentenced point containing a old favorite platitude like "Talk is cheap" is without any value... it's simply not as valuable as problem solving that uses a proper filter or 2.

I guess you can say.. ^^these^^ kinds of opinions are a recipe...
for disaster!
(See what I did there?)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:23 pm 
Offline
Head Coach
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm
Posts: 2493
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
In fairness, I left the door open for a) that it might be true (or might not)… you just don't know, and b) non-verbal evidence, such as seeing those two having sideline discussions when the defense is on the field which we have indeed seen.


:-)

_________________
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group