WEEK 6 // Bears lose to Dolphins 31-28 in OT

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I mean, the Dolphins had to play in it too. Although it stands to reason they are a little more prepared for it even if they also struggled.
sturf
Journeyman

The Dolphins use that home advantage though. Apparently their home sidelines are on the shaded part of the sidelines and the Bears were directly in the sun. The Bears themselves brought the shades over the benches that the players were sitting under. Otherwise they would have not have any cover.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I mean, the Dolphins had to play in it too. Although it stands to reason they are a little more prepared for it even if they also struggled.
I don't care what anyone else says. I've played sports in cold weather, warm weather, rain, and hot weather. NOTHING is more draining, both mentally and physically, than the sun beating down on you, with nowhere to hide. I would go as far as to say that the sideline situation, with the sun on the visitor side and the shade on the home side, is an unfair advantage. I'm not giving the defense an out, but I will say that the players that live and work in that weather are better acclimated to the draining effects of extreme heat and humidity. It had an effect.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Home field advantage. Just like southern and CA teams coming to Chicago in December. I was at the ATL v Bear game in December 2005 I believe, sunday night game and it was -20 with the wind chill. Night games in Chicago in dead of winter!!

Hard to prepare for heat and humidity, but home field is home field. TV and money dictates what happens and they felt it was not night game worthy.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:I mean, the Dolphins had to play in it too. Although it stands to reason they are a little more prepared for it even if they also struggled.
I don't care what anyone else says. I've played sports in cold weather, warm weather, rain, and hot weather. NOTHING is more draining, both mentally and physically, than the sun beating down on you, with nowhere to hide. I would go as far as to say that the sideline situation, with the sun on the visitor side and the shade on the home side, is an unfair advantage. I'm not giving the defense an out, but I will say that the players that live and work in that weather are better acclimated to the draining effects of extreme heat and humidity. It had an effect.
I have no doubt that the weather was 100% responsible for how the Bears defense played.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
I don't care what anyone else says. I've played sports in cold weather, warm weather, rain, and hot weather. NOTHING is more draining, both mentally and physically, than the sun beating down on you, with nowhere to hide.

agree 100%

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:I would go as far as to say that the sideline situation, with the sun on the visitor side and the shade on the home side, is an unfair advantage. I'm not giving the defense an out, but I will say that the players that live and work in that weather are better acclimated to the draining effects of extreme heat and humidity. It had an effect.
for a while during the game I was wondering why they kept carrying stretchers up and down the Bears sideline, but those were the portable shade devices people were holding up for the players on the benches
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Z Bear
MVP

Our wives bailed in the first quarter and hid in the mezzanine. They were under this massive fan that looked like a wind turbine. I swear it was 40 degrees cooler than our seats.

Here we are at the start of OT

docc
Head Coach

I live in southern Arizona..coached here for many years..and YES you would be facing the SUN every fried minute..115*..and in YOUR face..
We of course had a shaded dugout..
Throw 80 pitches in that..
Yes..many times we won late..
EricTighe
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
I don't care what anyone else says. I've played sports in cold weather, warm weather, rain, and hot weather. NOTHING is more draining, both mentally and physically than the sun beating down on you, with nowhere to hide. I would go as far as to say that the sideline situation, with the sun on the visitor side and the shade on the home side, is an unfair advantage. I'm not giving the defense an out, but I will say that the players that live and work in that weather are better acclimated to the draining effects of extreme heat and humidity. It had an effect.
You are right after Coaching travel ball for 20 years it was fun to see teams from other parts of the country come to play in the desert thinking 95 was hot. To us 95 is an easy day. Actually, until the weather gets over 108 it is pretty much the same. Even when it is 108 and up we are kinda acclimated to it so it doesn't bother us as much.

Played a travel team from Iowa and by the end of the first day everyone looked like cooked crabs and they were bathing in sunscreen.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
I have no doubt that the weather was 100% responsible for how the Bears defense played.
So much this. Still really frustrating but it isn't something we'll need to deal with when games really matter. We've just got to get to the games that really matter!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

Matt Nagy said it's the hottest game he has ever been a part of in his career -- but it's no excuse.

He said that on the plane ride back the players weren't pointing fingers but instead were talking to each other about what they can do better, how they can improve, etc.

Listening to that this morning made me feel better about the loss... Nagy said he learned a lot about it from a personal (coaching) standpoint and as a head coach/play caller.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:Matt Nagy said it's the hottest game he has ever been a part of in his career -- but it's no excuse.

He said that on the plane ride back the players weren't pointing fingers but instead were talking to each other about what they can do better, how they can improve, etc.

Listening to that this morning made me feel better about the loss... Nagy said he learned a lot about it from a personal (coaching) standpoint and as a head coach/play caller.
That's what I love about Nagy. I feel like he's got absolutely the right mentality to be a head coach. He's still learning, but the atmosphere is professional, forward-thinking, and apolitical. It's good.
wab
Mod

One thing that is different about Nagy than the guys the Bears have had before is that he's the same after a win as he is after a loss (although you could tell he was unhappy with the officiating Sunday).
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:One thing that is different about Nagy than the guys the Bears have had before is that he's the same after a win as he is after a loss (although you could tell he was unhappy with the officiating Sunday).
Oh man, he was HOT about the OPI call in the end zone.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:One thing that is different about Nagy than the guys the Bears have had before is that he's the same after a win as he is after a loss (although you could tell he was unhappy with the officiating Sunday).
Yes and yes.

I think he has the media eating out of his hand so far. When they asked him about the PI penalty and he said, "Trey did exactly what we taught him to do", the door was wide open for a snarky question dissecting what Burton did..... that never came.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Yes and yes.

I think he has the media eating out of his hand so far. When they asked him about the PI penalty and he said, "Trey did exactly what we taught him to do", the door was wide open for a snarky question dissecting what Burton did..... that never came.
Wasn't that the next question? I couldn't hear it very well, but Nagy responded "no comment". I figured the reporter asked if Nagy thought it was Offensive Pass Interference.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Yes and yes.

Wasn't that the next question? I couldn't hear it very well, but Nagy responded "no comment". I figured the reporter asked if Nagy thought it was Offensive Pass Interference.
I believe that question was about the penalty on Leonard Floyd's, uh, suplex.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Yes and yes.

I believe that question was about the penalty on Leonard Floyd's, uh, suplex.
Got it.
Middleguard
MVP

Exactly one third of you predicted the Bears would win by 18+ points. You didn't score very well with that prediction. Your pendulum may be too short, i.e. it swings too quickly. I have suggested in the past that you might want to make two predictions: one with your dick and the other with a more thoughtful organ, and I will count the second in the scoring.

wab has been supplying MDS' and Florio's predictions. MDS would have won this week and Florio would have the best combined score for the two weeks that wab has given their predictions (in case you want to crib).

182 UOK / Z Bear
222 Bearfanuk / cblaz11
294 GSH
296 Middleguard / BearButtseks
366 G08
422 Boris13c
456 Umbali
504 DaSuperfan
518 Mr.Irrelevant
578 skamanfrank
614 Bears Whiskey Nut
726 Atkins&Rebel
746 crueltyabc
774 alexwilkins
936 The Marshall Plan
974 Mikefive
1026 Otis Day
1082 wab
1376 mmmc_35
1454 VA_Mountain_Bear
1766 Pagan
2328 HurricaneBear
2342 AZ_Bearfan

Duplicate predictions:
182 Ormazd
366 southdakbearfan
614 malk
614 Funkster
614 WagonForce
614 Sugashane
774 Knuckles
BR0D1E86
MVP

That was one of the weakest roughing the passer calls I’ve ever seen. His elbow sort of grazed his head as he ran by. And he got fined for it. Absurd.

https://twitter.com/Rich_Campbell/statu ... 27744?s=20
malk
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:That was one of the weakest roughing the passer calls I’ve ever seen. His elbow sort of grazed his head as he ran by. And he got fined for it. Absurd.

https://twitter.com/Rich_Campbell/statu ... 27744?s=20
He got fined?! Jesus!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)