WEEK 6 // Bears lose to Dolphins 31-28 in OT

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:I don't get everyone dwelling on that intereception. It gave them the ball at the 20. It didn't give them 8 missed tackles on WR screens for 14 points.
I'm dwelling on the fact that the INT should never happened had the officiating been more sound and not called a phantom PI call on Burton. It stripped away 7 points from what would have been a 28-13 game. Even Nagy said in the presser when asked about the penalty - "Trey did everything I asked him to do on that play."
Going back and watching that play a couple of times. Burton slightly lowered his shoulder, and hit the Dolphins' player. Had he just gotten in his way, it would have never been called. It still shouldn't have been called, but I think when the players/coaches go back and watch the tape, that what they will tell him. "Don't lower your shoulder, just act like you're running your own route."
The way it looked to me at the time was that he braced himself for the impact. So what it boils down to is...
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I'll feel a lot better about this if/when I realize this is a growth season and we aren't looking at a finished product. I just don't feel that right now. Fucking gut punch.

when I found out Osweiller was getting the start, I felt more relaxed about the inevitable Bears win ... when the score was 7-0 Dolphins at the half, I was perplexed ... when the Bears allowed the Dolphins to tie in regulation, I resigned myself to the fact the Bears would probably lose

and during halftime of the Sunday Night game when they gave Osweiller one of their stars of the week awards, I almost puked

that entire game was like a piece of fruit that goes rotten before your eyes after you've only taken 1 bite
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:
G08 wrote:I'll feel a lot better about this if/when I realize this is a growth season and we aren't looking at a finished product. I just don't feel that right now. Fucking gut punch.

when I found out Osweiller was getting the start, I felt more relaxed about the inevitable Bears win ... when the score was 7-0 Dolphins at the half, I was perplexed ... when the Bears allowed the Dolphins to tie in regulation, I resigned myself to the fact the Bears would probably lose

and during halftime of the Sunday Night game when they gave Osweiller one of their stars of the week awards, I almost puked

that entire game was like a piece of fruit that goes rotten before your eyes after you've only taken 1 bite
There was honestly no point during the game or in overtime where I felt like the Bears would lose. UNTIL...they ran it on third down to set up the 53 yard FG. Then I knew they weren't winning.
BR0D1E86
MVP

KOP_Snake wrote:I don't get everyone dwelling on that intereception. It gave them the ball at the 20. It didn't give them 8 missed tackles on WR screens for 14 points.
There were so many f-ups that maybe happen once in a season that all happened in the same game to the Bears. Both of those screens where the entire defense looked like they were wearing 20 lb shoes, that OPI, the goal line fumble, it was crazy.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

There was honestly no point during the game or in overtime where I felt like the Bears would lose. UNTIL...they ran it on third down to set up the 53 yard FG. Then I knew they weren't winning.
Yeah I was on the other end of the spectrum. At one point during the early 4th quarter I said in the chatroom that I had a feeling Parkey was going to have a shot to win the game for us and miss. Then the Dolphins drove down the field to win and fumbled at the one yard line. I couldn't fucking believe it, it felt like 2006 where things were just going our way. Then we get a couple big runs from Howard and I'm like holy shit we are going to get outta dodge with a W. Then Parkey happened. The rest followed my initial feeling.

This game took a ton out of me, complete and utter simultaneous kick to the gut and nuts.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

Yeah I was on the other end of the spectrum. At one point during the early 4th quarter I said in the chatroom that I had a feeling Parkey was going to have a shot to win the game for us and miss. Then the Dolphins drove down the field to win and fumbled at the one yard line. I couldn't fucking believe it, it felt like 2006 where things were just going our way. Then we get a couple big runs from Howard and I'm like holy shit we are going to get outta dodge with a W. Then Parkey happened. The rest followed my initial feeling.

This game took a ton out of me, complete and utter simultaneous kick to the gut and nuts.
I'm with WAB on this one. After we scored 21 in the 3rd Q, I thought we were going to win. Even in OT. Especially when we recovered the fumble at the goal line. Then Nagy didn't try and get the 1st down on 3rd & 4 and I was like, "oh shit". I knew we were cooked at that point.
beardownbilly
Journeyman

Took me some time to calm down after this game, (not as long as week 1, granted), however, my takeaways from this week.

Despite the fumbles and interception, any of which would have probably settled this result had they not happened, I solely blame this defeat on the defense. Two defeats this season and they both feel rotten to the core due to a 20-3 lead and 21-7 lead being thrown away deep into the 3rd and 4th quarters.

I do not want to hear that we have an 'elite defense' once more until we stop giving up 70 yard touchdowns from throws which travel less than 10 yards in the air.

P.S. I hate screen plays, why does it feel like all our screen plays go for 4-6 yards but everyone else’s go for 40-70 yards?
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
Boris13c wrote:

I'm with WAB on this one. After we scored 21 in the 3rd Q, I thought we were going to win. Even in OT. Especially when we recovered the fumble at the goal line. Then Nagy didn't try and get the 1st down on 3rd & 4 and I was like, "oh shit". I knew we were cooked at that point.
It just felt off to me. Our defense was getting gashed in the run game, Howard fumbled at the 1 yard line, Trubisky threw a TD which was overturned by a bullshit penalty, next play he picked off in the endzone, we score a TD and then Miami goes off for a fluky 70 yard TD. It was just infuriating and I hate that we came out on the wrong side of it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:It just felt off to me.

yeah well, things like this will have that effect :
Miami's Brock Osweiler threw for a career-high 380 yards and three touchdowns subbing for Ryan Tannehill, who sat out because of an injured throwing shoulder.

https://scores.nbcsportschicago.com/fb/ ... 0181014015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:frustrated:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Umbali
MVP

On to the Patriots.....
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I mean honestly. With EVERYTHING that went wrong in that game. The heat, the officiating, the defense falling flat, Nagy booting some play calls, turning it over twice in the red zone, etc. The fact that we were in OT til the very end tells me that this is a good team, that had a bad day.

I expect that we will lose to the Pats, and then go 7-3 from there on out.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

This game took a lot out of me. If it was a boxing match I’ve just taken the most brutal body shot ever. Normally I can watch the later NFL games highlights etc win or lose however this week I don’t want football anywhere near me I am that peed off and gashed.

When Hicks did what hicks does I thought this was our day. Then Howard got rolling and it looked like Baltimore all over..then just when Jordie is getting going like a dumpster truck running down hill on a tired dolphins defence we yank him and Matt Nagy morphs into John fox right before our very eyes.

Un effing believable ...you watch this team destroy the patriots :frustrated:
Have a great day
malk
Head Coach

The silver lining to all this is, we're really good. I won't be properly gutted until we lose in the playoffs.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
jamus34
Journeyman

My fear with the Patriots game is a redux of the GB game...we come out on fire and then fall flat and let them back in the game.

I would like to say this is a trap game for the Patriots but Belichek and Brady are way too disciplined to let that happen.
G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:The silver lining to all this is, we're really good. I won't be properly gutted until we lose in the playoffs.
I hate to burst your bubble but losing this game may cost us a shot at the playoffs. Lot of ball left but fuck.... Gotta win games like yesterday's.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:
malk wrote:The silver lining to all this is, we're really good. I won't be properly gutted until we lose in the playoffs.
I hate to burst your bubble but losing this game may cost us a shot at the playoffs. Lot of ball left but fuck.... Gotta win games like yesterday's.
Yep, now we have to win games we aren't supposed to win like this week against the Pats to make up for it. Not saying it's impossible - but it can be done. The Pats haven't been the same team on the road as they have been at home. Both losses are on the road. They can be beaten - but the Bears can't afford to make silly mistakes like they did against the Fins and expect to win.
Never Die Easy
Funkster
MVP

Re-watched the game one more time, what’s being lost in all the mistakes is the bears have a VERY solid O-line. They played fabulous. They’re protecting Trubisky and this will go along way in him being more comfortable in the pocket.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Funkster
MVP

I hope Nagy was watching the niners/pukers game, that’s how you set up a game winning 27 yard chip shot field goal, take note.

“thanks Aaron for getting me so close”-Mason Crosby
Last edited by Funkster on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Belichek eats young QBs for lunch, dinner and snack. He will have Trubs #.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Belichek eats young QBs for lunch, dinner and snack. He will have Trubs #.
$10 says that Biscuits and Nagy don't see ONE THING that they practiced in their game plan. Not one coverage, not one blitz. Nada.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Otis Day wrote:Belichek eats young QBs for lunch, dinner and snack. He will have Trubs #.
$10 says that Biscuits and Nagy don't see ONE THING that they practiced in their game plan. Not one coverage, not one blitz. Nada.
If Nagy's smart he'll watch film on what the Pats did the first time they faced young qb's.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Anyone that blames the kicker, deserves a Kick In The Head
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
I'm looking at this the other way, that's how many things have to go wrong for us to lose. I really don't see us finishing lower than 10-6 and after we do a number on the Patriots next week I'm bumping that back up to 12-4.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
EricTighe
MVP

MoFugger wrote:Anyone that blames the kicker, deserves a Kick In The Head
Did he miss a makeable FG in OT that would have won the damn game?
You can blame other factors but he missed and we lost end of story.

He has one damn job and that is to make FG's. He missed we lost, Why can't we blame him for losing? At 4.5 million a year he should make kicks that are makeable. Just out of curiosity how many games have we lost over the last three years cuz our kickers missed kicks? Perfect snap, perfect hold and he missed.
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:I hope Nagy was watching the niners/pukers game, that’s how you set up a game winning 27 yard chip shot field goal, take note.

“thanks Aaron for getting me so close”-Mason Crosby
Before that game tying drive started, I turned to my wife and said "want to watch greatness in action? Get over here."

First play Rodgers hits a big play down the field and she just looks at me. I'm like watch, they'll win it and Crosby will be the hero.

Sure enough.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
To both your points, this game will be a measuring stick of where Nagy, Trubisky and this offense are right now.

Color me terrified :lol:
wab
Mod

EricTighe wrote:

He has one damn job and that is to make FG's. He missed we lost, Why can't we blame him for losing? At 4.5 million a year he should make kicks that are makeable. Just out of curiosity how many games have we lost over the last three years cuz our kickers missed kicks?
Perfect snap, perfect hold and he missed.
Watch that again homie. It was a terrible snap and Megapunt just got the ball upright as Parkey kicked it.

I'm not making excuses for the dude, but there were bigger mistakes than the missed FG.
EricTighe
MVP

wab wrote:
EricTighe wrote:

He has one damn job and that is to make FG's. He missed we lost, Why can't we blame him for losing? At 4.5 million a year he should make kicks that are makeable. Just out of curiosity how many games have we lost over the last three years cuz our kickers missed kicks?
Perfect snap, perfect hold and he missed.
Watch that again homie. It was a terrible snap and Megapunt just got the ball upright as Parkey kicked it.

I'm not making excuses for the dude, but there were bigger mistakes than the missed FG.
I did say there were other mistakes. But the bottom line is we were given a chance to win at the end of the game. In fact, the announcers were in shock that Nagy took the throttle off once we got into FG range so we could kick the FG.
You name a great coach and they will tell you just give us a chance to win the game at the end is all we want. We had a chance to win and he missed. End of story move on. To say he isn't to blame makes me think there are alot of ex-kickers in here. Trust me I bet he makes that kick 99% of the time. He missed and we lost.

I personally blame Floyd for his dumb ass play in the first half, which if it didn't happen we never would have went to OT. Great Game we lost.

I believe we are gonna light NE up. THe question is can we stop The Tom?
UOK
Site Admin

EricTighe wrote: I personally blame Floyd for his dumb ass play in the first half,
That was on the officials. Amendola kept on running and the ref never blew the whistle even though forward progress had stopped completely. Floyd maybe shouldn't have suplexed him but what was he supposed to do? Let him go?
EricTighe
MVP

Definitely not Suplex him.
If little Danny can break Floyd's grip, he has bigger problems then we thought :)

Lets just call it what it was. A bone headed play.