BLOG: Unorthodox - Bryce Callahan

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

https://1985edition.com/2018/10/11/unorthodox/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Little write-up on CB Bryce Callahan. Hope you all enjoy.
IotaNet
MVP

UOK wrote:https://1985edition.com/2018/10/11/unorthodox/

Little write-up on CB Bryce Callahan. Hope you all enjoy.
Nice article -- good read as always.

I have to admit that whenever I see #37 on the Bears, I think of Maurice "Mo" Douglass.
(Who BTW, was a male stripper when he wasn't playing football!)
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

I think if it comes down to keeping Callahan or Amos, I might lean Callahan.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think if it comes down to keeping Callahan or Amos, I might lean Callahan.
Ditto.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Love that kid. One of the first plays of the Bucs game, he completely blew up a screen pass by flashing into the picture and upending the receiver. Good instincts, tough, and a nose for the ball. Great backstory piece UOK.
Funkster
MVP

Nice piece! Love me some Callahan. I’m hoping it doesn’t come down to picking Amos or Callahan and the bears can resign both players. Continuity is just almost as important to DB’s as O-linemen.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

You know, if Toliver continues to impress and they decide to keep Callahan over Amos, I wonder if they'd consider sliding Prince over to safety for a season or two as he winds down his career.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

If you're Callahan, wouldn't you want to go where you can start at CB? Or see wab's idea.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:If you're Callahan, wouldn't you want to go where you can start at CB? Or see wab's idea.
A nickel corner more-or-less is a starter these days.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Middleguard
MVP

G08 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:If you're Callahan, wouldn't you want to go where you can start at CB? Or see wab's idea.
Total defensive snaps 239:
Fuller 239
Amukamara+Toliver 221
Callahan 209
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:

Exactly, and he’s a damn good nickel! I would rather keep him inside and thrive than move him outside and just be ok. He seems like a realist so I’m guessing he’ll know his worth and not demand huge money. I’m still hoping they find a way to keep these guys together, it’s been so fun watching this defense this season.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Nice article, thanks for posting that
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
"more or less"? I'm going with less.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that a #3 CB is getting paid less than a #2 CB. If you're a team looking for a #2 CB, wouldn't you consider Callahan? And if so, wouldn't you be willing to pay more $$$ for him than the Bears? Why if you're Callahan, would you take less $$$ during your first--and maybe only--bite at the free agency apple considering that one bad injury could end your career? Sure, he might love playing for the ascending Bears. But does he love it enough to give up several million dollars more?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that a #3 CB is getting paid less than a #2 CB. If you're a team looking for a #2 CB, wouldn't you consider Callahan? And if so, wouldn't you be willing to pay more $$$ for him than the Bears? Why if you're Callahan, would you take less $$$ during your first--and maybe only--bite at the free agency apple considering that one bad injury could end your career? Sure, he might love playing for the ascending Bears. But does he love it enough to give up several million dollars more?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.therin ... cornerback" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:

Middleguard said it... Callahan has been on the field for 84.7% of our defense's snaps.

That's 108 more than Khalil Mack
146 more than Leonard Floyd
3 less than Danny Trevathan

etc.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.therin ... cornerback" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super interesting article! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

cblaz11
MVP

Callahan is playing great ball this year..Buuuuuut, he hasn’t really been able to stay healthy, so let’s see him get through this season.

Also, my prediction is that Prince is gone next year and replaced by Tolliver which would free up some coin to sign both.

I know it’s early on Tolliver, but I think we have a future number 2 corner on our hands.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:

I could be very wrong but i have a hard time believing another team would target Callahan as a #2/outside corner. His skill set fits the slot . He doesn't have great size or blazing speed. Most damning imo is the Bears chose to play Tolliver outside rather than move Callahan outside(correct me if thats wrong i did not watch the bucs game) i just don't see a team throwing a ton of $$$ at him to play outside. Maybe the Bears get out bid so he can be another teams nickle but that's it imo. And even that is a longshot in my eyes.
malk
Head Coach

Been wondering about this again. Callahan is surely getting paid this offseason! I wonder whether we think he can play outside and therefore make him an offer with CB2 money rather than just as a great nickle?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

If it comes down to Bryce and Amos (who I love) I'm taking Bryce and moving Prince to safety.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:If it comes down to Bryce and Amos (who I love) I'm taking Bryce and moving Prince to safety.
A lot will come down to how much we make Hiestand earn his money... No Massie or Long means we can keep both fairly easily.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bad Flanders
MVP

I don't know how well Prince holds up at safety though. The guy has had plenty of injuries his entire career at a less physical position. Not sure putting him in a position to hit and be hit more while he's older is going to do him or the Bears any favors.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Meanwhile, slot corners Aaron Colvin (four years, $34 million; $8.5 million per year), Nickell Robey-Coleman (three years, $15.6 million; $5.2 million per year), and Patrick Robinson (four-years, $20 million)
If Callahan costs 5M, I think that's doable.
If he's going to run 7-10M, I don't think you can tie up 30M+ at just 3 CB spots of your roster.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

average contract is around 9mil a year for CB's. As much as I like Bryce, not sure he's going to garner that kind of contract, probably. But on a winning team guys like Amos/Callahan are guys that might need to be let go to keep the cap somewhat reasonable and hope that the draft can surplant them, or you can grab a FA that won't cost to much. Id just assume keep Bryce though he just seems to fit this system at nickle perfectly.
cblaz11
MVP

Prince to safety? Have we seen anything to believe he can play safety better then CB?
wab
Mod

cblaz11 wrote:Prince to safety? Have we seen anything to believe he can play safety better then CB?
No, but he did play there at Nebraska.
cblaz11
MVP

Problem is, no way can he play SS, and we have our center fielder in Jackson.

I really think that if we can't find common ground with Amos, Bush is our starting SS next year.
TheSting
Practice Squad

hope we'll be able to keep Callahan, I guess if they don't pay him then they feel his success is down to scheme or because some other teams just overpays, feel like that will definitely happen with Amos unfortunately, just don't see how we keep everyone on D, unless Nagy is all like, gimme all the draft picks on O and I'll keep scoring while you pay those D boys!

I'm so giddy that we actually have a real plan on O past run the ball a lot and hope the D scores some! Is this what they call optimism?!? I feel like I'm 13 again and the Bears are that cute girl who might let me get my finger wet, but might slap me in front of the whole class too!! xD
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

TheSting wrote:hope we'll be able to keep Callahan, I guess if they don't pay him then they feel his success is down to scheme or because some other teams just overpays, feel like that will definitely happen with Amos unfortunately, just don't see how we keep everyone on D, unless Nagy is all like, gimme all the draft picks on O and I'll keep scoring while you pay those D boys!

I'm so giddy that we actually have a real plan on O past run the ball a lot and hope the D scores some! Is this what they call optimism?!? I feel like I'm 13 again and the Bears are that cute girl who might let me get my finger wet, but might slap me in front of the whole class too!! xD
They will end up losing guys on both sides of the ball eventually. Cap issues are going to become an issue sooner then later and the team will need to be willing to walk away from players they don't think are essential to keep the cap reasonable for the players they cannot afford to lose.

Guys like Bryce and Amos might be let go if the FA market gets out of hand for them.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Winning teams end up creating two distinct types of players. Those that want to play for winning team and take slightly less than market value, and those that leverage their place on the winning team to get as much money as they can, wherever they can get it. Now go through the roster and decide who are the team guys and who are the money guys. I am not saying one is better than the other. It's a business. But those are the types of players that emerge from successful teams. I will, To Sting's point, distinct role players, like a nickel corner, are better BECAUSE of the scheme or collective whole, than they are individually. So take that for what it's worth.