WEEK 7 // Bears lose 38-31 to Patriots

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Funkster
MVP

bearsfaninaz wrote:I think Floyd is our best matchup to Gronkowski. He has the height and speed to keep up with him.
After watching tons of film on him, Gronk will man handle Floyd, he’s simply not physically strong enough. I think most are trying to match a player to Gronk in the passing game. The pats used him more as a blocker/decoy vs. KC. I’m expecting the same vs. the bears. Best way to slow down Gronk in the passing game is to disrupt him at the line, this will take away the timing of the play and Brady will quickly move to his next read.

The pats offense can block well, run well and pass well. This game will be a huge test for the bears defense but they will create opportunities. The bears offense must control the clock, limited mistakes and score at every opportunity, even if it’s field goals. They cannot squander redzone trips.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Steve Grogan wrote:Hi guys, I'm a Pats fan and come in peace. I've seen quite a few posts referring to NE's being 0-2 on the road and/or losing to Detroit. The Patriots, for the last 5 years, are known for starting up slow. Belichick basically threats the first 4 games as an extension to the pre season. Their defense IS BAD. But the offense right now is just getting in gears. The return of Edelman and the addition of Gordon has freed up Gronkowsky and opened the run game with James White and our new kid Michel.

NE is a much different team than when the season started. Having said that, I don't expect an easy game or or win. I do expect my Pats to bring a great challenge to the Bears. Hoping for a great game !

Good luck Chicago !
Welcome aboard! This game is a great barometer for the Bears to see where we are against a consistent, year-in year-out, high quality team.

I just don't see the Patriots outscoring us unless its 100+ degrees for the game and the defense is gassed like in Miami; which it won't be.

Belichick is probably the greatest coach in the history of the NFL and I'm sure he has plans on how to handle our offense, but we just have so many weapons and the NE defense is nothing special. I also wonder if NE playing KC previously helps us because we have film on how NE's defense handled a very similar offense.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Especially with a healthy Brady (AKA The GOAT)

This is what people are referring to when they call Brady the GOAT, right?

Dude couldn't sniff Aaron Rodgers' jock :D
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
G08
Hall of Famer

Couple more thoughts...

I'm expecting the Pats to run the ball and work the short passing game. Belichick would be a fool to not test our tackling, and really it will be on Fangio to find a way to take those routes away. My bet (fear?) is that he plays it safe and the Pats will drive down the field... they'll get a couple TDs because they are that good, and we'll get a few stops for FGs because we do have a solid defense. Question is can we get a turnover or score on special teams? I believe it will take something like that for us to leave Solider Field with a W. Defensively, I think Belichick is going to focus on taking Gabriel and/or Cohen out of the game, so I expect a lot of Jordan Howard (please let this be his breakout game this season) and for some reason I think Kevin White is going to make a big positive play for us.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Funkster
MVP

Mack(ankle), Robinson(groin) and Callahan(ankle) are listed as questionable. Mack already said he’s playing and he’s never missed a game so I’m not worried about him. The bears will need both Robinson and Callahan but Callahan not being on the field for this game would be huge for the pats. With Callahan injuring his ankle yesterday this one has me a little worried if he plays.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

So no Amukamara on the injury report???
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Couple more thoughts...

I'm expecting the Pats to run the ball and work the short passing game. Belichick would be a fool to not test our tackling, and really it will be on Fangio to find a way to take those routes away. My bet (fear?) is that he plays it safe and the Pats will drive down the field... they'll get a couple TDs because they are that good, and we'll get a few stops for FGs because we do have a solid defense. Question is can we get a turnover or score on special teams? I believe it will take something like that for us to leave Solider Field with a W. Defensively, I think Belichick is going to focus on taking Gabriel and/or Cohen out of the game, so I expect a lot of Jordan Howard (please let this be his breakout game this season) and for some reason I think Kevin White is going to make a big positive play for us.
I think a big key will be how we handle their run game. We've been good against the run all year until the 100 degree heat index game. So I think we'll do well when it's around 50. I think the D is going to come out with something to prove after the Miami debacle. I think Leonard Floyd will record his first sack this week.

I keep hearing people say they're going to take Cohen away. But I'm not too sure how you do that outside of playing with more DBs. But then don't you just sub Howard in and pound them? If they take away a small guy, then AR should go nuts. It will be an interesting chess match for sure. I'm just not so sure that their D has the arsenal to take away much without leaving other guys running free. Broken record... I'd love to see us establish Howard early. We really haven't tried that, so NE won't be expecting it. Do it until they stop it then go play action. Play some more old fashioned football. Of course, it's Nagy. So pretty unlikely.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Funkster
MVP

Mikefive wrote:So no Amukamara on the injury report???
Nope, he was listed as full participation!

With Callahan questionable and Cooper out, looks like we might see McManis :o

I feel one player the bears need to have a big games is Roquan Smith. He has all the tools to slow down the pats offense.
Last edited by Funkster on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
britbear
Player of the Month

According to Rapoport Gronk did not travel to Chicago because of a back injury sustained yesterday and is now doubtful to play. He is not officially out yet.
Certainly would be good news if he doesn't play.
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
Funkster
MVP

Wow, Gronk not playing probably changes the Pats game plan. They have also proven they can function without him.
Umbali
MVP

I am happy to hear this, however it doesnt mean anything unless we go and execute. That being said..this is huge
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
docc
Head Coach

I watched Gronk all his college career here in Tucson.. He had a couple back surgeries.. He is a monster when healthy obviously...
UOK
Site Admin

We all thought it was an instant W when Osweiler was the announced starter, too.

Brady's the GOAT quarterback. Belichick's the GOAT NFL coach.

If the Bears win, it would be a huge flag for the Pats organization that they're on the way down. Until I see the Bears winning in the final score tomorrow, I can't begin to believe they'll do anything more than put a great effort forward.
Funkster
MVP

The bears surprised Trevathan and brought his grandmother out to practice. She is fighting cancer and Trevathan gave her the biggest hug and posted this to his twitter account “If you honestly know me... you know I believe in good vibes & straight up hard work no matter what. This is the first time in my 7 years that a team has done anything special for me. Made me feel loved, like family. Yes that’s exactly what they are FAMILY #muchluvfromFive9”

I think the defense will be bringing it tomorrow for granny Trevathan!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Funkster on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Gronk being out helps, but still the Pats short passing game plays directly into our weakness, especially if Mack is slowed by his ankle. I think our best chance of winning comes in a shootout similar to how KC performed last week - though hopefully we have a better defense. Mitch gets the chance to prove his worth.

Bears 34
Pats 27
Funkster
MVP

Mr.Irrelevant wrote:Gronk being out helps, but still the Pats short passing game plays directly into our weakness, especially if Mack is slowed by his ankle. I think our best chance of winning comes in a shootout similar to how KC performed last week - though hopefully we have a better defense. Mitch gets the chance to prove his worth.

Bears 34
Pats 27
Totally agree that the pats passing game plays into the bears defensive weaknesses. I totally disagree that you want to get into a shootout with Brady, especially with Trubisky under center. I’m believing in the sleeve but I don’t feel he’s ready just yet to go tit for tat with Brady.

I feel the run J.howard out of the gun 20-24 times theory is the best foundation to combat Brady and the pats offense. Might be best of both worlds, Howard gets his touches and Nagy can get cute on 3rd and short.

Another noteworthy patriot player not playing tomorrow is starting RT Marcus Cannon.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I think the Pats are likely to win still even without Gronk. Their short passing game does play to our current weakness, and they still have Gordon, Hogan, and Dorsett for the long ball. Cannot discount Dwayne Allen totally either, he is a savy vet and a big target.

If we can get pressure on Brady consistently, hit and sack him a bit, then we can perhaps slow him down. Pats D will try to confuse Biscuit, but if Nagy has a game plan to handle it, their D is quite exploitable.
Funkster
MVP

Shefter reports A.Robinson will play against the pats. That’s Mack and Robinson in, now all we need is Callahan.
UOK
Site Admin

Pats are 24-6 all time when Gronkowski doesn't play.
Middleguard
MVP

UOK wrote:Pats are 24-6 all time when Gronkowski doesn't play.
So you're saying they are 80% without him, but only 79% with him. Too bad he's injured.
Funkster
MVP

Good news, now how much will they play? I’m guessing Mack is a full go, Robinson and Callahan are used as much as their injuries allow. Thinking we see more of Robinson than Callahan.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

One of the major positives I take from Gronk not playing is it potentially free's up D.T and R.S in the middle to shut down that run game. The ability of gronk would have meant they had to factor him in on all down's not they can get after that RB

but what do I know :flick:
Have a great day
WagonForce
MVP

Pats open with three straight first downs.
WagonForce
MVP

Terrible tackling on display again for the bears. Looking completely outclassed on the first NE drive.
UOK
Site Admin

Yeah man, it's the Patriots. They're just...yeah. The Bears are still seeing stars from last week, lost all their confidence, and Amukamara and Mack are battling injuries.

If the Bears can even stay in the game I'd be content. But that drive, full of short-middle throws and screens, will be there all day for New England.
WagonForce
MVP

Pats consistently get pressure on MT, showing once again how they can flip the supppsed script for a game. Bears defense looks clueless, bears offense immediately gets behind the chains and stopped.

Bears don’t have much time to show some life. If the Pats put together a similar drive to the first the game is going to be out of reach before it even starts.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

Not a good start. Their offense marched right down the field, and our offense can’t adapt to the different views and blitzing. Defense better have a good second series or this can get ugly quickly. Our running game needs to get going too.
UOK
Site Admin

Cunningham takes the ball out of the end zone to the 18, so the Bears already start -7 thanks to that. Following a crummy Bears drive, O'Donnell shanks a punt that barely makes it to the Pats 30.

Bears are....yeah. They're not terrible, we know that. They're just outmatched horribly.