WEEK 7 // Bears lose 38-31 to Patriots

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Umbali
MVP

I will say this as well....the bears wrs didnt do much to help him at all today. Bellamy twice. Miller didnt come in hard on at least one pass..trying to remember if it caused an int or not. Gabriel was barely targeted. I think it is totally time for the bears coaching staff to realize that they need to find out what White can be in this offense and scheme some plays for him. Use his size and speed.

There was one play deep to Cohen...that was an outside shoulder route jump ball on the sideline.......WHY? the shortest guy on the team? Why not have that same throw to Robinson or White? .....Nagy is learning I guess just as Mitch is.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
EricTighe
MVP

Not to mention we both punted 4x's. This game was very close. If Mitch was more accurate today we could have blown them out. But this is the learning curve,
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I was in the car all day, and had to listen to the game with kids yelling in my ears. It sounded like Biscuits couldn't hit jack shit all day. I'll have to go back and watch the game. Two horrendous ST plays as well. Wow!
EricTighe
MVP

Mitch also underthrew a wide-open Miller streaking to the end zone. Threw behind Miller on another throw.
Dan Fouts said it a few times about Mitch had bad pass location. Bad game, it happens to everyone. Well maybe not Brady.

Mitch was off I can live it this week.
The Defence needs to work on there tackling. This is two weeks in a row that a team dinked and dunked us to death due to missed tackles. Not sure how that is Vic's play calling.
Special teams is the reason we did not win last week (I agree it isn't the only reason we lost). Special teams is the reason we lost this week.

Shore up the special teams, remind our Defensive how to tackle and Mitch gets a little more accurate and we will be perennial powerhouse.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Where is that Eddie Jackson bad college tacking video when you need it?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
EricTighe
MVP

Hey Mike as bad as it has been the last two weeks it is sure better than the alternatives we had for the last 5 years. At least he is there to miss the tackle. Might not be the greatest example but hopefully you get my point.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Welcome to last place in the NFC North, Chicago Bears. :frustrated:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Funkster
MVP

“There’s a new standard here. ... It’s not good enough anymore to come up short.”-Mitch Trubisky

I’m glad someone said it. Three blown games is enough, time to move to the “new standard” Tru, I personal believe the sleeve!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
EricTighe
MVP

Mikefive wrote:Welcome to last place in the NFC North, Chicago Bears. :frustrated:

We actually in third place. We win on the point differential.

So it isn't that bad
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

• That last drive helped pad his numbers, but the numbers are very misleading – Mitch had a poor game. Every time I looked, he was delivering late, picking the wrong receiver, or putting the ball in a bad place.
• Mack should sit out 2-4 weeks and get healthy. I assume he won’t and will be a shell of himself for most of the rest of the season.
• The defense is underachieving with 50% Mack. (Remember everyone here expected them to be top 10 again, even before he was added on.)
• All in all, they’re about where I expected, but if Mack is gimped and they can’t live without him, their end result may come up short.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Can anyone explain why Mack was lining up on the right on virtually every snap when:

a) In the first few games he was lining up mostly on the left alongside Hicks and creating mayhem.

b) The Patriots starting RT was out injured.

c) Mack was getting swallowed up by the Patriots LT the entire game.

With the Bears getting zero pressure, why didn't Fangio try changing things up with Mack? I really didn't get this at all.

And while we're at it, can anyone understand why Howard is being so woefully under-utilised? What's happened to the running game?

With all the passing threats, Howard should be making hay but Nagy never gets him into any sort of rhythm. It's really sad to watch. Trubisky's passes were all over the place today and yet Nagy never helped him out by establishing the running game with Howard against a pretty mediocre run defense. Also, the guy's worked on his one weakness, pass catching, to the point where he looks totally assured. He made another great grab today... but it was the only time they threw it his way.

Instead Trubisky kept throwing inaccurate deep ball after inaccurate deep ball. He needed those short passes to the likes of Howard to get into a rhythm himself. If it wasn't for his scrambling today, and we'd all have been screaming at him for running backwards if he'd been tackled for a big loss on the one that turned into his TD, this offense wouldn't have put up many points. The reason he had to keep scrambling was because they didn't throw the quick short passes to get it out of his hand before the rush could get to him, unlike the Patriots who did precisely that.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Ok the Bears are a young team learning how to win... and I totally agree with that philosophy but, what I don't accept is vets like Robinson, Bellamy, Sims and a few others that don't need to be called out like those 3.

Let's start with Robinson... I love the guy but holy shit does that guy ever see a defender? EVERY single contested pass he doesn't contest! That was the big "thing" on him when we got him (never watched Jacksonville so can't say)... But, seriously has he won one contested pass or has he always looked like a guy posing for an action shot while the defender intercepts or knocks down a pass FFS?

Secondly, Sims... WTF has he done since he's been here to earn the cash they pay him?

And, lastly... Belamy.. Fuck that guy seriously...! I'm so sick of him being talked about as priceless to the STs but when he had a chance to sit on a fumble he missed. And, he showed why last year sucked as a Bear fan in what a quarter in one game this year? Go sleep with Rodgers boyfriend then you'll have a purpose on this team. He's our offenses Conte... Why the Bears gave him a shot over White I have NO FN CLUE! Let the guy play till he's on IR FFS. At least see what you have why JB? Pace needed to go to locker room at 1/2 time and beat it in Nagy's head to get him involved (and maybe it happened white had 2 good plays).

Overall, even though they played like crap they still were in it till the last second and within 1/2 a yard. Everyone played like shit and everyone played to a level that kept them into the game till the last play. I wasn't expecting that even with the hype I've felt since Mack came here. I knew they would lose this game at the epitome of that experience and I figured it would be an ass whooping but it wasn't. JUST IMAGINE for a second... What this team will look like if they are all on the same damn page. Coaches on down to FN belamy. Next year is our year and we still are in the hunt for this year... So as a Bear fan since 1970 I can finally say after decades I feel pretty good where this team's heading.

That's something because honestly, I gave up on this franchise 2-3 decades ago but I never stopped following them. This is the best team I've seen since the 80s. Sure, they need a lot of 'tweaking' but from a potential perspective, I don't think I've ever felt this good about the future of this team. 83-84 I felt the same sort of feeling... You know if you were alive back then there was this feeling that they were on the cusp... I get that same feeling now.

I look at that last play and compare it to Rodgers what was it last year where he made the damn pass? The Bears were 1/2 yard short... The metaphor can be the same for almost every game they lost this year. They are 1/2 a yard away from being REAL contenders... That's how damn close they are.

At least that's what Jack Daniels told me earlier... LOL... We are close damnit I am confident in that! Jack said so too... :D
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Mitch wasn't good, but dang a lot of those drops were right about the time I thought he might get some consistency going.

Special Teams handed them 14 points. KR and blocked punt. You can't do that, especially with Brady.

Mack is worse than they led on injury wise. I am assuming that is why he was on the opposite side all day to take pressure off the one ankle.

Playcalling is suspect at time. I was screaming at them to run straight ahead down on the goal line, and they finally did on the 3rd try. Howard waltzed in. Sometimes we get too cute.

Playcalling at the end of the half was suspect. Either try the FG or throw the damn thing somewhere near the endzone. IDK what the hell that shit was.

Biscuits had a tough one, got some happy feet with pressure which caused almost all of his high throws. We all know there was going to be growing pains but dang, bridesmaid again.

White needs to play and Bellamy needs to get hurt and go on IR. Robinson also isn't right and probably should have sat. Uncharacteristic drop and no spring in his legs.

Can we please not put Sims in ever again when he is going to run a route, please, for the love of god please.

Nichols is a beast, needs more PT. Rest mack more and get him healthy, play Nichols more and slide him around with the other guys.

Our OLB's can't cover the pass, like at all. Mack can't, which he shouldn't be expected to and Floyd got juked so bad on the white TD I am surprised he didn't blow a knee out.

Trevathon and Amos need to wrap the hell up and quite trying to blow shit up. Couple of small gains turned big when they bounced off guys.

I kind of thought they would come back to earth, but damn, we could have had this one as well as the last one.
GSH
MVP

re: Dion "dicks for fingers" Sims.

We need Shaheen back. Someone remind me when he's due to come back in? is it next week?
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:
Funkster wrote:The bears defense can’t tackle. It’s maddening, then when they miss a tackle they just give up on the play. Was the first 4 weeks a fluke? Or is Fangio really that stubborn of a DC. They have to be better prepared than they have been, no more excuses.
That Patriots first drive was beautiful (for them). Every single issue and concern we had defensively, they exploited it.

I fucking HATE that they got 14 points off us on special teams, but at the same time it took those plays for them to beat us.

Shitty loss, but I do believe our arrow is pointed upward.

Arrow may be pointing up for the offense but it’s been a downward spiral for the defense. Mack is constantly dealing with double and triple teams. How come Fangio can’t disguised Mack to get him some one on one match ups? Especially in key situations. Where is Hicks? Is it really smart putting Flyod on a RB? Then when it doesn’t work continue to pump that dry well. That screams mismatch. Brady was comfortable in the pocket all day and the patriot receivers were naked all day. Something has to change.

Tru did have an off game but he gets a pass from me, he did what he was asked to do. The game plan and play calling was down right crap. I can’t wait until the 22 becomes available for this one. The bears are wasting a really good O-line and pro bowl RB trying to be push the ball down the field when opposing defenses are screaming to run and dink and dunk.
So, while Mack is dealing with double and triple teams, that's not the issue - the issue here is that Fangio has been dropping Mack back in coverage a LOT. Mack isn't being asked to rush the passer. Either Fangio 2 weeks ago got a frontal lobotomy, or perhaps Mack's ankle injury is worse than they are letting on, and they are hiding it by asking Mack to drop back instead of rush the passer as often as he does.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Probably won't be fully back game shape until week 10 I'm guessing, but will be utilized soon I hope.
Hate Bellamy and Sims. On that into the was loading trying to get open and then got out fought for the ball. Sims is what he is at this point.
Funkster
MVP

Teddy KGB wrote:
Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:
Funkster wrote:The bears defense can’t tackle. It’s maddening, then when they miss a tackle they just give up on the play. Was the first 4 weeks a fluke? Or is Fangio really that stubborn of a DC. They have to be better prepared than they have been, no more excuses.
That Patriots first drive was beautiful (for them). Every single issue and concern we had defensively, they exploited it.

I fucking HATE that they got 14 points off us on special teams, but at the same time it took those plays for them to beat us.

Shitty loss, but I do believe our arrow is pointed upward.

Arrow may be pointing up for the offense but it’s been a downward spiral for the defense. Mack is constantly dealing with double and triple teams. How come Fangio can’t disguised Mack to get him some one on one match ups? Especially in key situations. Where is Hicks? Is it really smart putting Flyod on a RB? Then when it doesn’t work continue to pump that dry well. That screams mismatch. Brady was comfortable in the pocket all day and the patriot receivers were naked all day. Something has to change.

Tru did have an off game but he gets a pass from me, he did what he was asked to do. The game plan and play calling was down right crap. I can’t wait until the 22 becomes available for this one. The bears are wasting a really good O-line and pro bowl RB trying to be push the ball down the field when opposing defenses are screaming to run and dink and dunk.
So, while Mack is dealing with double and triple teams, that's not the issue - the issue here is that Fangio has been dropping Mack back in coverage a LOT. Mack isn't being asked to rush the passer. Either Fangio 2 weeks ago got a frontal lobotomy, or perhaps Mack's ankle injury is worse than they are letting on, and they are hiding it by asking Mack to drop back instead of rush the passer as often as he does.
I agree Mack shouldn’t be dropping in coverage, that’s not what he was brought here to do or why the bears are paying him 90 million. With that said, if his ankle “is worse than they are letting on”, why drop him in coverage then? That makes no scenes. I personally am done with the Flyod project. Mack and lynch should be the edge setters and let the big men in the middle handle the rest. Let’s forget dropping the edges into coverage as a base and let them go eat. I can’t wait to see this game on the 22 to see what’s really going on.

These players are not a team yet. When one unit plays well, the others is lacking or special teams makes a big mistake. The pieces are in place, now they have to play like a team.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Watched the game all the way through. Here are my initial thoughts (remember I was in the car all day, couldn't watch it live).

-What has happened to our defense? What has happened to our pass rush? I think there are some banged up players, and no one is talking about it. Hicks has disappeared. RRH has disappeared. Mack has the ankle, but he appears VERY hobbled. Let him sit next week, or something.
-However good the ball was that Biscuits was throwing against the Bucs, it was that bad against the Pats. A lot of his throws came out wobbly and under powered. He missed several throws today that he would have made in the Bucs game.
-The Pats were coming to block that punt, and we weren't ready for it. We just got beat.
-Why in THE HELL did we kick it short to Patterson on the kick-off. We SHOULD HAVE kicked it out of the back of the end zone.
-Robinson is hurt. There were a couple of balls he should have come up with, but just didn't have the agility to do it. He's got straight-line speed right now, and no lateral ability.
-We need to think our rushing game. It seems we are always running into a mass of defenders.

Not a great game. Yet, if you take away the two ST blunders, we outscored New England. I am still optimistic, but my guess is that its going to be a long film day on Monday.

Luckily we have the Bills and Jets coming up next.
malk
Head Coach

I didn't get to see the game but once the dust has settled and the emotion died down a bit, was the defence that bad if it only gave up 24 points to the Patriots?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Pagan
MVP

I understand the fans frustration at these close, but not close enough finishes that are ending in exciting games that end up being losses.

Tru said it best in his post game interview, "Close finishes are no longer good enough".
That's a great example of the new expectations that Pace & Nagy are infusing into this franchise...

At the same time, for much this year... That's exactly what we should be honestly expecting = a young ascending team that's going to have to continue to work through their flaws.

This is going to most likely continue to be (this year) a team that's going to flash greatness on both offense & defense... While still raising & often crushing playoff/Super Bowl fantasies.

The hype train is built for less educated/discerning fans... Not for the brainy Bears fans of this site.

Continue to enjoy this year's games!
There will continue to be white knuckle games with exciting photo finishes.

This team IS NOT the finished product; but it IS a fun & competitive one.
Enjoy the ride.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Ok guys first off some things so the sky can stop falling on your heads:

1. Trubisky doesn't suck, but he didn't have a great game. Game #6 in a new coach, system, and skill players. Growth is not a linear line. He threw 1 more pick than Brady, but he also threw 3 tds, ran for 1, and carried the team with his feet in moments when guys were dropping everything. He is a good developing QB and that means some great games and some not so great...this one was really a mix.
2. Naggy...I really didn't like some of his calls at times, but some others were great. Gabriel was covered up most of the day and Robinson should have rested since he was too hurt to fight for contested balls. He adjusted to Burton (finally-I've wanted more Burton). But this is Naggy's 6th game also. He is still testing out his team and players like it or not, so please accept that and get realistic.
3. Josh Bellamy...ugh.
4. Kevin White...I like what he got to do once he finally got a chance to play. If he had just run backwards and twisted/dove around defenders legs instead of trying to turn around and run in me might have gotten into the end zone.
5. Mack. Let his ass rest and heal. The decision to keep him on the field only has value if he rushes and still takes up 2 guys, don't bother putting him in coverage.

Yes Trubisky missed some passes and I wish he wouldn't. Yes he made some great throws that were dropped. But all this nay-saying and freaking out is silly guys. We are a team that is still learning, growing,, developing, and finding it's identity and it can STILL TODAY hang with anyone and have a chance to win. Stop being so focused on the moment and look to the future because with the contracts we have this team is together for a few years and the future is bright! Take away 1 ST screw up and we go to overtime, eliminate both and we still won that game. Tom Brady and Belichick did not do enough to beat us yesterday without 2 ST screw-ups...keep that in mind along with all the things we didn't like yesterday. This team will have a growing year this year...we might even make the wild -card...but regardless it is going to start contending seriously next year. Smile guys...you lost a game but you are watching a real franchise develop...take the growing pains in stride.
UOK
Site Admin

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote: 5. Mack. Let his ass rest and heal. The decision to keep him on the field only has value if he rushes and still takes up 2 guys, don't bother putting him in coverage.
He's still drawing double teams, but the difference is by halftime opposing offenses realize they can one-on-one him and he won't win. In fact, he'll end up on his back most plays because he doesn't have the lower body strength/agility without a 100% ankle/calf.

They need to flat-out sit him. Shaheen has an injury in a similar area and perhaps degree and they put him on IR. I'd rather not force Mack out there to simply worsen the injury until it's week 12 and a 5-6 team takes what would be a month-long recovery for a basic ankle injury and turns it into a surgery-requiring 6-10 month recovery injury.

Put him in street clothes for 2 weeks and let the team prove it can handle the lowly Jets and Bills without him. These guys have a LOT of respect to win back on defense, and it'd make a statement if Mack wasn't available for those games.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:Ok guys first off some things so the sky can stop falling on your heads:

1. Trubisky doesn't suck, but he didn't have a great game. Game #6 in a new coach, system, and skill players. Growth is not a linear line. He threw 1 more pick than Brady, but he also threw 3 tds, ran for 1, and carried the team with his feet in moments when guys were dropping everything. He is a good developing QB and that means some great games and some not so great...this one was really a mix.
G08 and I had discussed this on a previous thread. Trubisky's development is going to be a series of two steps forward, one step back, three steps forward, one step back. It will be rough going this year. I like the progress I have seen from GB to NE. If he had been more accurate against the Pats, I think this game has a different outcome. You can't have two ST gaffs and expect to beat Brady and Belichick.
UOK
Site Admin

I'm actually feeling pretty okay today. I didn't expect the Bears to win, but they played like ABSOLUTE SHIT for the most part and STILL almost beat (or at least went to overtime) against the greatest QB/HC combo in NFL history.

That said, these excuses won't fly against the Bills and Jets. These two teams are mostly shit. The Jets less so than Buffalo, but if you lose to either of these teams, the season's over, and your roster's quit on you.
sturf
Journeyman

Regarding throwing short on the end of half play, I've seen the Chiefs score touchdowns at the end of half on that same strategy so Nagy is calling something he has seen actually work.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

One thing I want to applaud.

Kevin White caught that jump ball perfectly and didn't get hurt.
BR0D1E86
MVP

WTF... I was working and haven’t gotten to watch, it’s still on my dvr. But is this accurate? If so, pretty stupid.

https://twitter.com/patrickfinley/statu ... 57728?s=20
UOK
Site Admin

BR0D1E86 wrote:WTF... I was working and haven’t gotten to watch, it’s still on my dvr. But is this accurate? If so, pretty stupid.

Mack did virtually nothing the entire game and was noticeably limping toward the end. Floyd had an absolutely abysmal game, perhaps the worst of his career.

-----

More:

dan durkin @djdurkin
28m
dan_bernstein @C1McKnight Caller's eyes weren't deceiving him.

-18 rushes with four,
-15 rushes with three,
-Five rushes with five,
-Two rushes with six (sack and interception on those two).

Adam Jahns @adamjahns
29m
Replying to @djdurkin @dan_bernstein @C1McKnight
Here is more: The Patriots had seven second-and-10 plays. Brady went 6-for-6 with completions of eight, 20, six, three, eight and 55 yards.
52 and 94 only rushed Brady once each during those six passes. They never rushed together. On first two, Floyd was aligned in the slot.

dan durkin @djdurkin
28m
Replying to @adamjahns @dan_bernstein @C1McKnight
Floyd and Mack only rushed together eight times total during the game. Just doesn't make sense.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:WTF... I was working and haven’t gotten to watch, it’s still on my dvr. But is this accurate? If so, pretty stupid.

Mack did virtually nothing the entire game and was noticeably limping toward the end. Floyd had an absolutely abysmal game, perhaps the worst of his career.

-----

More:

dan durkin @djdurkin
28m
dan_bernstein @C1McKnight Caller's eyes weren't deceiving him.

-18 rushes with four,
-15 rushes with three,
-Five rushes with five,
-Two rushes with six (sack and interception on those two).

Adam Jahns @adamjahns
29m
Replying to @djdurkin @dan_bernstein @C1McKnight
Here is more: The Patriots had seven second-and-10 plays. Brady went 6-for-6 with completions of eight, 20, six, three, eight and 55 yards.
52 and 94 only rushed Brady once each during those six passes. They never rushed together. On first two, Floyd was aligned in the slot.

dan durkin @djdurkin
28m
Replying to @adamjahns @dan_bernstein @C1McKnight
Floyd and Mack only rushed together eight times total during the game. Just doesn't make sense.
I'm generally overly patient with the Bears first round picks, but I might be ready to move on from Floyd.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Not sure if this was talked about yet but NE kept grabbing guys and getting called for it. I think I remember at least 3 times they held a WR one guy did it twice when he was beaten. A couple of those passes would've been right on the money or at least catchable.

The NFL has to change the rule so a D just can't hold a WR every big play. Like after the second one they should up the penalty yards and eject the player. I think even though it's a smart way to play D a team shouldn't be able to use a foul to their advantage in a game.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”