Leonard Floyd gets called out!

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Funkster
MVP

Louis Riddick calls out Floyd “TALKING ABOUT THE DEFENSIVE SIDE, THE OTHER GUY I’M GOING TO PICK OUT ON THAT SIDE OF THE BALL? LEONARD FLOYD? YOU BETTER START DOING SOMETHING. YOU BETTER START ACTING LIKE YOU WANT TO PLAY. YOU BETTER START ACTING LIKE AT THE POINT OF ATTACK YOU’RE SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO TAKE THE FIGHT TO THE OFFENSE INSTEAD OF THEM JUST RAGDOLLING YOU AND PUSHING YOU ALL OVER THE PLACE AND HIGH-LOWING YOU. BASICALLY, IT LOOKED LIKE THEY’RE PUNKING HIM OUT THERE…” “LOOK I LOVED LEONARD FLOYD’S ATHLETICISM COMING OUT OF GEORGIA. I LOVED IT. BUT MAN I’M SITTING HERE, I’M WATCHING YOU AT THE POINT OF ATTACK AND I’M SEEING PEOPLE JUST MASHING YOU. YOU GOT TO BE BETTER THAN THAT.”

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/10/forme ... eing-soft/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
GSH
MVP

can i get an Amen?
Ormazd
MVP

Preach!
UOK
Site Admin

I was okay with giving him a pass when his hand was messed up, but the last couple weeks, Flo has been dogshit. He knows it.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I was okay with giving him a pass when his hand was messed up, but the last couple weeks, Flo has been dogshit. He knows it.
Yeah. I was giving him a pass as well. But the last couple of weeks he's been pretty bad. He has the length and the quicks to beat any mediocre T around the edge, and he's just not doing it. With Mack hobbled, we need him to step up big time.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

The guy has Mack opposite him and still can't beat 1 on 1 against a LT ot RT for that matter. His thing coming out of college was he was thin and I think we can all agree he just isn't strong enough or have the moves to be a solid pass rusher. Every time you see Floyd on camera in a game he's always just flailing his arms around, jumping while the blocker keeps him totally out of the play. Has anyone ever seen him use a spin (other than from a blocker throwing him) or dip like Mack does? I mean the guys on the same team and could talk to Mack and get advice from a top pass rusher and yet we've seen absolutely no improvement.

Hell even in madden he sort of sucks... I've tried to rush with him and it's usually the same outcome we see every week lol. In practice mode, though from some reason I've been sacked by him more than anyone by a large margin lol.

He is by far the biggest disappointment this year... So much so I don't see him earning an extension outside of Pace's pride for picking him so high. Out of all Pace's picks Floyd was the biggest head-scratcher and I never liked the pick however, I thought with Mack here he might finally have a breakout year but nope...
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

Didn't Pace move up to grab him ? Yeah it doesn't even take an offensive lineman to block him. I've seen Tight ends pancake him.
G08
Hall of Famer

*** immediately flashes back to being pissed off at Draft Town in Grant Park when we traded up to draft Floyd, then drinking at the local dive bar and bitching to wab via text late into the night ***
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bad Flanders
MVP

I'm just going to point out, I don't know what's going on with the D. but even the best OLB in the league looks out of place in this D right now. I don't get it, maybe it's Floyd being such a non threat or Mack's ankle but it just looks like the D, and specifically the OLB's, have come out of the bye week super flat and can't get it started again. Floyd is a first round pick, Floyd has been around, Floyd was all about the super high upside... all of that means he has to turn it on and now. But I'm also questioning if any of the OLB's right now are in a spot to do well at all????
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:*** immediately flashes back to being pissed off at Draft Town in Grant Park when we traded up to draft Floyd, then drinking at the local dive bar and bitching to wab via text late into the night ***
God I hated that draft. They basically picked Christian Jones with the 9th pick...

Our first three picks were essentially copies of Jones, Leno, and Lamar Houston.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:*** immediately flashes back to being pissed off at Draft Town in Grant Park when we traded up to draft Floyd, then drinking at the local dive bar and bitching to wab via text late into the night ***

I'm sure if we dig up the old draft day thread about him you will find most of us were not enamored with the selection but were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt ... as we all are still doing now

from a personal perspective, as soon as Mel Kiper started hanging onto his jock and calling him the perfect ft for the Bears, I figured the opposite would be true

to his credit, he has not outright sucked, but he is certainly not where we expected him to be, nor where the Bears need him to be
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I going to say he has sucked. He has not been able to stay on the field (injuries) and when on the field, inconsistent. He has not delivered and may be working his way out of town. I believe they have to find another edge rusher next year.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Otis Day wrote:I going to say he has sucked. He has not been able to stay on the field (injuries) and when on the field, inconsistent. He has not delivered and may be working his way out of town. I believe they have to find another edge rusher next year.
Other than injuries, I don't think he's been terrible prior to this season. He's just been disappointing.

This season, though, suck is too kindly.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

It seems to me that Leonard Floyd is just flat out not strong enough. If you're a pass rusher, you MUST have SOME strength. You can't just be a 6'7" small forward, which is what Leonard Floyd is. You need less strength if you can leverage your length. But you still must have some. You have to be able to--and he has the speed to--get to a spot where he can lean into the OT and provide enough push to come around and get hands on the QB's body, arm or ball sometimes, even while you're being blocked. He just lacks enough push. Another helper is hand usage, which we did see improving in year 2. You can't let bigger guys get their hands on you. If anything, this is where he has regressed with the hand injury. And we're not seeing enough moves. Effort can win when you're really strong and relentless like Mack is. But if you're low on strength, you have to compensate with hands, moves and smarts. And we're just not getting that.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
malk
Head Coach

It's intensely disappointing that rather than step up this year he's really regressed. To go from a sack every other game in his first two years to pretty much nothing is really disappointing. He was getting a few tackles for loss and QB hits too and they've dried up as well.

Maddening.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Maybe he's not fully trusting his knee yet. I think we forget he did have MCL surgery, and we just expect these guys to heal up and not feel any effects. Not having a hand did effect him quite a bit at the start of the season.
Never Die Easy
EricTighe
MVP

He needs to get called out.
IMO our defense seems way better when he is on the bench. Hopefully, it has everything to with the hand and the need to take a year for a knee to heal. I just maybe being a homer on this one though.
wab
Mod

Per the Twitter, teams have called about the availability of Leonard Floyd.
GSH
MVP

let them keep calling. The pressure on floyd to perform this season is on, but the injury to kyle long might force pace's hand to put a trade together.
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:Per the Twitter, teams have called about the availability of Leonard Floyd.
Straight up for Landon Collins? :D
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hell, if the deal is good enough, launch his ass. Aaron Lynch is doing just as much, which isn't much. Floyd not living up to his draft status and just is not getting the job done. Why someone would be wanting him is beyond me.
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

wab wrote:Per the Twitter, teams have called about the availability of Leonard Floyd.
I'd trade him in a new york minute.

The thing is, Floyd isn't bad per se, but for where he was drafted, he isn't good enough. He's just "a guy", and your first round pick is supposed to be more than that.

Launch his ass.
Bearfacts
MVP

In Floyd we drafted an undersized (230lb) kid who wasn't even a great pass rusher at Georgia. He was useed as much or more as an ILB playing off the ball just as Roquan Smith did and got most of his 17 college sacks in three seasons as a starter rushing from there.

2016 wasn't a great draft for edge rushers and having passed on Vic Beasley for Kevin White in 2015 we needed a pass rusher. Due to Floyd's athleticism and "bend" Pace thought we could create one out of him but to me he's always been another SEC "Tweener" type who fails to make it as an NFL edge rusher.

The list of similar types drafted by others long before Floyd is lengthy and IMHO Floyd will join them.

I agree with those who say he's more of a disappointment than an out an out bust. He's shown some talent but IMHO what he is not and never will be is a great 3-4 OLB edge rusher. In that regard he's regressed and by year 3 any team pretty much knows what they have in a guy so I believe this is as good as it's gonna get with him at least in this defense.

I believe he might be more effective playing as a WLB in a 4-3 with a team who can keep him clean in the run game, drop him in coverage and use him to blitz occasionally and teams who play a 4-3 may be who are inquiring about him. The problem with trading him though is can we get fair value for him?

IMHO he has the value of a mid grade starter which to me is the equivalent of a 3rd round pick but will anyone give up a 3rd for him? If not I just sit on him for now and give Lynch, Irving, and Fitts more snaps to see what they can do AND to make it clear to Floyd he's not meeting expectations.

With Mack hobbled we don't need to further reduce our depth at OLB right now if all we can expect is a day three pick for Floyd. If that's all he's worth to anyone now it's not likely to get any worse later on and once again we seem to be in the market for another consistent edge rusher and without the picks to draft one.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote:In Floyd we drafted an undersized (230lb) kid who wasn't even a great pass rusher at Georgia. He was useed as much or more as an ILB playing off the ball just as Roquan Smith did and got most of his 17 college sacks in three seasons as a starter rushing from there.

2016 wasn't a great draft for edge rushers and having passed on Vic Beasley for Kevin White in 2015 we needed a pass rusher. Due to Floyd's athleticism and "bend" Pace thought we could create one out of him but to me he's always been another SEC "Tweener" type who fails to make it as an NFL edge rusher.

The list of similar types drafted by others long before Floyd is lengthy and IMHO Floyd will join them.

I agree with those who say he's more of a disappointment than an out an out bust. He's shown some talent but IMHO what he is not and never will be is a great 3-4 OLB edge rusher. In that regard he's regressed and by year 3 any team pretty much knows what they have in a guy so I believe this is as good as it's gonna get with him at least in this defense.

I believe he might be more effective playing as a WLB in a 4-3 with a team who can keep him clean in the run game, drop him in coverage and use him to blitz occasionally and teams who play a 4-3 may be who are inquiring about him. The problem with trading him though is can we get fair value for him?

IMHO he has the value of a mid grade starter which to me is the equivalent of a 3rd round pick but will anyone give up a 3rd for him? If not I just sit on him for now and give Lynch, Irving, and Fitts more snaps to see what they can do AND to make it clear to Floyd he's not meeting expectations.

With Mack hobbled we don't need to further reduce our depth at OLB right now if all we can expect is a day three pick for Floyd. If that's all he's worth to anyone now it's not likely to get any worse later on and once again we seem to be in the market for another consistent edge rusher and without the picks to draft one.
And there's the rub. What will someone offer for him? Zero sacks in 7 games for a starting 3-4 OLB isn't getting you much.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.