Matt Nagy in one word

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Meticulous

The guy just seems like he's had a plan for this team since the second he was hired and is diligently working to implement it. I think a huge part of him coming on board was him and Pace having similar road maps for this teams future.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Mastermind
Have a great day
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Needed.

Just a total breath of fresh air in so many ways. I couldn't be happier. I love our new coach.
dickbutkus97
Rookie

Builder.

The man is constructing a winning team methodically, with words and ideas.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Awesome-sauce
GSH
MVP

Leader

The way he has the team, the other coaches, the press and the fans all buying in in his first year as a head coach, tells me this guy is a natural born leader and one we are lucky to have.
docc
Head Coach

Dr.Nagenstein..creating new Monsters
Umbali
MVP

Inspirational.

Not just to the team but to the fan base. I dreamt last night after reading this thread that he left us and went to Baltimore. In my dream I was pissed. I woke up relieved when I realized it was a dream :P
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

confident
(sometimes: overconfident)
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:Dr.Nagenstein..creating new Monsters
Dude. Yes!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Coach

Listening to him on the sidelines, and watching him interact with his players. He is everything you would want out of a coach. He is engaged. He is decisive, and takes responsibility. He is aware of when his players do something right, and praises them for their effort. He is enthusiastic, but still in control. His interactions with Mitch are brilliant. He is building that kid's confidence day in and day out. Asking a lot of him, but then helping him get there, and praising him when he succeeds. He is everything you would want out of a 'coach'. Any coach; strength, life, career, football, baseball, etc., this is what you would want them to be.

When Emery hired Trestman, it seemed like he was a brilliant offensive mind, but you just didn't see the 'coach' aspect in him. As it turns out, that was absolutely true. He was NOT a coach. He wasn't a brilliant offensive mind either. But you could tell, he didn't have the intangibles to lead a group of young players through a brick wall. Nagy has those qualities in spades.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:Dr.Nagenstein..creating new Monsters

:thumbsup: :toast: :clap:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Passionate
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Here's another word: Scheme

Over the last few weeks we've heard from TV announcers about breakdown in coverages, and "how could a Bear receiver be that wide open." Constantly putting the onus on the defense for blowing the coverage, and allowing receivers to run free.

Has anyone thought that this is the Nagy offense? That he creates these confusions in the defense, and that the whole scheme is to create mis-matches and poor reads by CB's, allowing the Bears receivers to get wide fricking open.
docc
Head Coach

^^ I certainly hope that teams just put it off to poor defense.. However the similar KC offense is credited with making the D confusion..
Nagy moving his permutation may actually create even more as teams study KC and get a new wrinkle from Nagy..

Could be a lot of variation in pre snap look and actual routes..and hopefully runs..
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Here's another word: Scheme

Over the last few weeks we've heard from TV announcers about breakdown in coverages, and "how could a Bear receiver be that wide open." Constantly putting the onus on the defense for blowing the coverage, and allowing receivers to run free.
negative Bears observations from blabbering tv talking heads is why you shouldn't be listening to them

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Has anyone thought that this is the Nagy offense? That he creates these confusions in the defense, and that the whole scheme is to create mis-matches and poor reads by CB's, allowing the Bears receivers to get wide fricking open.

well, I have ... because I am giving Nagy credit for solid game planning

if the alleged "experts" choose to ignore Nagy's efforts and contributions and simply write it off as opposing defenses, f'ing up, then shame on them
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Pagan
MVP

Has anyone thought that this is the Nagy offense? That he creates these confusions in the defense, and that the whole scheme is to create mis-matches and poor reads by CB's, allowing the Bears receivers to get wide fricking open.
Absolutely.

Between tailor making an offense based on game to game (mis) match ups & scheming confusing plays to get players wide open... getting offense weapons wide open is exactly what this offense is created to do.
Umbali
MVP

Boris13c wrote:

negative Bears observations from blabbering tv talking heads is why you shouldn't be listening to them

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Has anyone thought that this is the Nagy offense? That he creates these confusions in the defense, and that the whole scheme is to create mis-matches and poor reads by CB's, allowing the Bears receivers to get wide fricking open.

well, I have ... because I am giving Nagy credit for solid game planning

if the alleged "experts" choose to ignore Nagy's efforts and contributions and simply write it off as opposing defenses, f'ing up, then shame on them
We were facing similar defenses the past couple of years with zero results! Haters gonna hate
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
mohner1
Practice Squad

I have thought this ALOT. Just think. think about how many wide open receivers you've seen this year. If there was a stat for this like 'receiver seperation', I would be willing to wager we have more of those this year than than the last two combined. And it's not just the targeted receiver, watch some of the old games, and often time there is another open guy as well. This is why i like Nagy. We GAMEPLAN according to what defense we're going to see. in the past it's always been 'we're going to run what we run and make them stop us'. To me, that seems like such a defensive attitude to bring to your offense. backwards.

This is such a breath of fresh air.
“Taylor, we've run out of timeouts. Go in there and get hurt.”
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

mohner1 wrote:

I have thought this ALOT. Just think. think about how many wide open receivers you've seen this year. If there was a stat for this like 'receiver seperation', I would be willing to wager we have more of those this year than than the last two combined. And it's not just the targeted receiver, watch some of the old games, and often time there is another open guy as well. This is why i like Nagy. We GAMEPLAN according to what defense we're going to see. in the past it's always been 'we're going to run what we run and make them stop us'. To me, that seems like such a defensive attitude to bring to your offense. backwards.

This is such a breath of fresh air.
I was watching another video about Nagy's "Defeat the cone" mentality. When you show a three receiver stack formation, the DB's align in a cone formation, and depending on the routes, the DB's follow specific players based on where they are positioned in the cone. Nagy specifically attacks this alignment by knowingly creating confusion with the receiver routes, usually resulting in two DB's following one receiver, and another guy being WIDE OPEN. It's brilliant.
mohner1
Practice Squad

can you send a link to that?
“Taylor, we've run out of timeouts. Go in there and get hurt.”
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

mohner1 wrote:can you send a link to that?

The explanation of "Exposing the Cone" comes in at 44:45. But there is a bunch of other stuff about the Bears, and other teams on that podcast.

Expose the Cone