Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
malk
Head Coach
Posts: 2414
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 am

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:59 pm

I hate the contract and don't like kickers that struggle for distance but when looking at individual season FG% it's important to remember that each kick accounts for about 3 percentage points so if 2 of the 4 regular season upright hits sneak over he's at 83% and we're not having this conversation.

Now I think it'll be tough to come back from this mentally but if he shows promise there, he's a year removed from a 90%+ season and will be given a chance to revert back to his mean.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
MVP
Posts: 1612
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:06 am

He CANNOT be on this team next season. Screw the contract and the cap hit. This guy has repeatedly fucked up and cost us games.
Image
User avatar
WP.1
Practice Squad
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:03 am

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:10 am

User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19829
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:34 am

The Marshall Plan wrote:He CANNOT be on this team next season. Screw the contract and the cap hit. This guy has repeatedly fucked up and cost us games.
Really he only cost us two...Miami and the wild card game, but your overall point remains. The Bears are in a tough spot. He was bad all season.

As much as I loathe giving credence to anything Hub says, he wonders how cutting Parkey will impact the locker room after preaching family and brotherhood and selflessly having each others backs all season.

It's a good point.
http://www.insidenova.com/sports/nation ... 7bc95.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skamanfrank
Journeyman
Location: Royal Leamington Spa, England
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:11 am

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:00 am

wab wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:He CANNOT be on this team next season. Screw the contract and the cap hit. This guy has repeatedly fucked up and cost us games.
Really he only cost us two...Miami and the wild card game, but your overall point remains. The Bears are in a tough spot. He was bad all season.

As much as I loathe giving credence to anything Hub says, he wonders how cutting Parkey will impact the locker room after preaching family and brotherhood and selflessly having each others backs all season.

It's a good point.
http://www.insidenova.com/sports/nation ... 7bc95.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any change you could copy and paste the text please? GDPR rules mean we can see that in Europe.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19829
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 am

skamanfrank wrote:
wab wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:He CANNOT be on this team next season. Screw the contract and the cap hit. This guy has repeatedly fucked up and cost us games.
Really he only cost us two...Miami and the wild card game, but your overall point remains. The Bears are in a tough spot. He was bad all season.

As much as I loathe giving credence to anything Hub says, he wonders how cutting Parkey will impact the locker room after preaching family and brotherhood and selflessly having each others backs all season.

It's a good point.
http://www.insidenova.com/sports/nation ... 7bc95.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any change you could copy and paste the text please? GDPR rules mean we can see that in Europe.
ARKUSH: What's that old "Naked City" intro, Bob? There are eight million stories in the City of New York and this has been one of them? There will be eight million stories about the 2018 Chicago Bears in the coming days, weeks and months, and the first thousand or two will all be about Cody Parkey. Parkey is not THE reason the Bears lost their wild-card game to the Eagles, but he obviously blew his chance to be the hero. Once Bears fanatics, I mean fans, get over their disappointment and outrage, we should hope they would grasp that very important distinction. The Bears do still have a critical decision to make on Parkey, though. Forget his contract, the uprights and the fact he deserves better than the way Bears fans have treated him so far. Is there any way the Bears can bring Parkey back knowing the distractions and added pressures it will put on his teammates with his mere presence?

LEGERE: My best guess right now is, “No way.” No kicker in the NFL missed more FG tries than Parkey, who was 23-for-30 during the regular season. Four other kickers missed seven times; two had better percentages than Parkey and two were worse. However, the Bears are already into the 26-year-old Parkey for $5.5 million, and his $3.5 million base next year is fully guaranteed. That’s a lot of loot to pay someone for one year. The league is full of kickers who washed out on one team and then had successful careers elsewhere, and Parkey could be one of them. But the Bears are his fourth team in five years, which isn’t a good sign. The bottom line for the Bears is this: Was Parkey’s off year (76.7 on FG attempts) in 2018, just that, one bad season? Or is his 86.4 percent accuracy rate over the previous four seasons more indicative of the kind of kicker he is?


ARKUSH: You know, Bob, I get all you're saying, and they're all sound football points, but I'm just not sure that is what this will come down to. There is every reason to suggest Parkey will come back and have a good year kicking the football somewhere, but the Bears could be damned if they do and damned if they don't. Which will be the lesser risk? If you cut Parkey, what kind of message does it send to the players in the locker room after you built your culture around the brotherhood of players -- until they miss a big kick? But how much extra pressure are you putting on every player every time Parkey goes out to kick, with each guy waiting for him to miss again? It seems the right football move is to move on from him regardless of whether you think he can be a good kicker again or not.

LEGERE: Hub, maybe I’m just too nice of a guy, something I’ve rarely been accused of, but I think the Bears should bring in competition and let Parkey try to hang on to his job. If he can withstand that kind of pressure, then I think he’s worth a second chance. That would give him the chance to demonstrate the kind of mental toughness he’s going to need if he remains in Chicago. Your point about the culture Nagy has built is well taken. He frequently refers to the team as a family, and you don’t boot someone out of a family because they’re going through a rough time. It was actually Lovie Smith who said that, back in 2006, the last time the Bears went to the Super Bowl. His kicker that year was Robbie Gould, who hit 32 of 36 FG attempts (88.9 percent).
User avatar
Richie
MVP
Posts: 1334
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:49 am

docc wrote:CODY PARKEY ATTEMPTS SUICIDE AFTER MISSING GAME WINNING FIELD COAL

Tuesday 1/8/2019 3:12 pm
AP news
Sportsline

Cody Parkey, place kicker for the Chicago Bears was found alive after an apparent suicide attempt in his north suburban home. Mr Parkey was found standing on a chair with rope still fastened around his neck. Apparently Mr Parkey attempted to kick the chair from under him but missed the center of the chair and his foot bounced off the arm of the chair leaving Mr Parkey stuck between chair and a nearby table, unhurt.
Mr Parkey was unavailable for comment.
Wait... what?

Clearly this didn't happen - so I am assuming it's a joke?
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:59 am

I listened to Stacey Dales detail what she saw in the stadium and once Parkey missed that kick, she said NUMEROUS Bears players threw their helmets on the ground or at the bench. Other players were up in arms, Tarik Cohen burst into tears.

Trust me, I'm sure he's their brother but they will understand Pace owes it to the team to have the best available talent. Cody Parkey is not it.
Image

Mitchell Trubisky in Matt Nagy's Offense:

15-8 record | 65.2% | 4916 yards | 33 TDs | 15 INTs | 6.87 YPA | 91.7 rating
User avatar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer
Contact:
Location: The Bear Nebula
Posts: 14700
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:18 am

if you haven't seen the movie, you probably won't get this


Image
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:23 am

^ My wife said it was fucked up, should I even bother?
Image

Mitchell Trubisky in Matt Nagy's Offense:

15-8 record | 65.2% | 4916 yards | 33 TDs | 15 INTs | 6.87 YPA | 91.7 rating
User avatar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer
Contact:
Location: The Bear Nebula
Posts: 14700
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:01 pm

G08 wrote:^ My wife said it was fucked up, should I even bother?

it was fucked up for many reasons ... that didn't make it a bad movie, just not a must see

and it never explained wtf the whole deal was about
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19829
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:21 pm

G08 wrote:^ My wife said it was fucked up, should I even bother?
It's a good way to kill a couple hours but it's not life changing by any means.
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5270
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Have not heard enough to make me want to watch. Plus the previews turned me off anyway, didn't hook me at all.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:55 am

Guess who is doing a one-on-one interview on the Today Show?

CODY PARKEY!!!
Image

Mitchell Trubisky in Matt Nagy's Offense:

15-8 record | 65.2% | 4916 yards | 33 TDs | 15 INTs | 6.87 YPA | 91.7 rating
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3286
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:32 am

wab wrote:
skamanfrank wrote:
wab wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:He CANNOT be on this team next season. Screw the contract and the cap hit. This guy has repeatedly fucked up and cost us games.
Really he only cost us two...Miami and the wild card game, but your overall point remains. The Bears are in a tough spot. He was bad all season.

As much as I loathe giving credence to anything Hub says, he wonders how cutting Parkey will impact the locker room after preaching family and brotherhood and selflessly having each others backs all season.

It's a good point.
http://www.insidenova.com/sports/nation ... 7bc95.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any change you could copy and paste the text please? GDPR rules mean we can see that in Europe.
ARKUSH: What's that old "Naked City" intro, Bob? There are eight million stories in the City of New York and this has been one of them? There will be eight million stories about the 2018 Chicago Bears in the coming days, weeks and months, and the first thousand or two will all be about Cody Parkey. Parkey is not THE reason the Bears lost their wild-card game to the Eagles, but he obviously blew his chance to be the hero. Once Bears fanatics, I mean fans, get over their disappointment and outrage, we should hope they would grasp that very important distinction. The Bears do still have a critical decision to make on Parkey, though. Forget his contract, the uprights and the fact he deserves better than the way Bears fans have treated him so far. Is there any way the Bears can bring Parkey back knowing the distractions and added pressures it will put on his teammates with his mere presence?

LEGERE: My best guess right now is, “No way.” No kicker in the NFL missed more FG tries than Parkey, who was 23-for-30 during the regular season. Four other kickers missed seven times; two had better percentages than Parkey and two were worse. However, the Bears are already into the 26-year-old Parkey for $5.5 million, and his $3.5 million base next year is fully guaranteed. That’s a lot of loot to pay someone for one year. The league is full of kickers who washed out on one team and then had successful careers elsewhere, and Parkey could be one of them. But the Bears are his fourth team in five years, which isn’t a good sign. The bottom line for the Bears is this: Was Parkey’s off year (76.7 on FG attempts) in 2018, just that, one bad season? Or is his 86.4 percent accuracy rate over the previous four seasons more indicative of the kind of kicker he is?


ARKUSH: You know, Bob, I get all you're saying, and they're all sound football points, but I'm just not sure that is what this will come down to. There is every reason to suggest Parkey will come back and have a good year kicking the football somewhere, but the Bears could be damned if they do and damned if they don't. Which will be the lesser risk? If you cut Parkey, what kind of message does it send to the players in the locker room after you built your culture around the brotherhood of players -- until they miss a big kick? But how much extra pressure are you putting on every player every time Parkey goes out to kick, with each guy waiting for him to miss again? It seems the right football move is to move on from him regardless of whether you think he can be a good kicker again or not.

LEGERE: Hub, maybe I’m just too nice of a guy, something I’ve rarely been accused of, but I think the Bears should bring in competition and let Parkey try to hang on to his job. If he can withstand that kind of pressure, then I think he’s worth a second chance. That would give him the chance to demonstrate the kind of mental toughness he’s going to need if he remains in Chicago. Your point about the culture Nagy has built is well taken. He frequently refers to the team as a family, and you don’t boot someone out of a family because they’re going through a rough time. It was actually Lovie Smith who said that, back in 2006, the last time the Bears went to the Super Bowl. His kicker that year was Robbie Gould, who hit 32 of 36 FG attempts (88.9 percent).
How does this affect the culture??? We need to slow down the train a little bit here. Football is a performance business and Parkey didn't perform. That's a fact. Besides, players aren't privy to player discussions between coaches and the GM and player acquisition is in Ryan Pace's court. So we can play the good cop (Nagy) bad cop (Pace) game and keep that out of the locker room.

Hell, how will it affect the culture when we don't bring back one or more of Amos, Callahan or Massie who DID perform? Players understand that it's a performance based business. And while I'm not sure the Bears will cut Parkey loose, I sure don't think it will be any kind of culture poison pill if they do. If that were the case, our "culture" isn't strong enough to get anywhere close to winning a championship if it can't accept dumping a player that didn't perform. Good grief. :gravel:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:20 am

Matt Nagy: "BE OBSESSED!"

Cody Parkey: "Football is what I do, it's not who I am."
Image

Mitchell Trubisky in Matt Nagy's Offense:

15-8 record | 65.2% | 4916 yards | 33 TDs | 15 INTs | 6.87 YPA | 91.7 rating
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1534
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:35 am

He seems like a nice guy. I don’t honestly give a rip about that, but he does.

We need two kickers in to challenge him in camp. Probably a rookie and a retread. Open competition. I’d be shocked if he didn’t lose.
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2185
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:39 pm

I don’t see them bringing in anyone until he starts having issues with the guaranteed money he is getting.
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1534
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:09 pm

southdakbearfan wrote:I don’t see them bringing in anyone until he starts having issues with the guaranteed money he is getting.
So about the Detroit game a few months ago then?

If there’s not at least a kicking competition.... I won’t do anything, but be damn sure I’ll bitch on this message board.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Reading the tea leaves from this presser... sounds like Parkey may be a goner. GOOD.
Image

Mitchell Trubisky in Matt Nagy's Offense:

15-8 record | 65.2% | 4916 yards | 33 TDs | 15 INTs | 6.87 YPA | 91.7 rating
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1534
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:08 pm

This is as harsh of a comment as I ever expect coach to make about any player....

https://twitter.com/JJStankevitz/status ... 27680?s=20
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19829
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:16 pm

Nagy was clearly not thrilled. It's a lot of money to eat for a kicker, especially when you don't know if there's going to be a substantial improvement. But I think from a culture standpoint, you almost have to do send him on his way.
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3286
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:24 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:This is as harsh of a comment as I ever expect coach to make about any player....

https://twitter.com/JJStankevitz/status ... 27680?s=20
I think "as harsh of a comment as I ever expect" is pushing it. Nevertheless, as positive a guy as Nagy is, that comment (which I just viewed as I watch their presser) along with the corresponding body language... The odds of the team eating the cap $$$ and moving on from Parkey just went up significantly.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP
Posts: 1534
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 am

Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:36 pm

Mikefive wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:This is as harsh of a comment as I ever expect coach to make about any player....

https://twitter.com/JJStankevitz/status ... 27680?s=20
I think "as harsh of a comment as I ever expect" is pushing it. Nevertheless, as positive a guy as Nagy is, that comment (which I just viewed as I watch their presser) along with the corresponding body language... The odds of the team eating the cap $$$ and moving on from Parkey just went up significantly.
I’ve never seen him with public corrections of players, so I should say as publicly harsh. I’m sure in private he’s as direct as he needs to be.
User avatar
Knuckles
Player of the Month
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Mikefive wrote:I could understand him seeing a sports psychologist this offseason.
Yeah same... But, if he has a mental issue now just imagine the pressure that will be on him next year here. There's no way in hell the Bears keep him around even if they have to eat the cap not only for the sake of the team but for Parkey's as well.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
User avatar
Knuckles
Player of the Month
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:53 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:This is as harsh of a comment as I ever expect coach to make about any player....

https://twitter.com/JJStankevitz/status ... 27680?s=20
Interesting... I never watched the interview because I could care less about Parkey at this point and don't care what he has to say LOL. But, the look on Nagy's face after the kick and to hear him say that about the TS interview Nagy behind the scenes seems to be still pretty upset about the whole situation. Now with Pace coming out and saying they need to improve the kicker situation looks to be the writing on the wall to at least get some serious competition in here this offseason if not just let the guy go altogether.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19829
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:13 pm

Knuckles wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:This is as harsh of a comment as I ever expect coach to make about any player....

https://twitter.com/JJStankevitz/status ... 27680?s=20
Interesting... I never watched the interview because I could care less about Parkey at this point and don't care what he has to say LOL. But, the look on Nagy's face after the kick and to hear him say that about the TS interview Nagy behind the scenes seems to be still pretty upset about the whole situation. Now with Pace coming out and saying they need to improve the kicker situation looks to be the writing on the wall to at least get some serious competition in here this offseason if not just let the guy go altogether.
The interview was a weird wanna-be feel good story. Like, hey look at what a great person his is...rooted in faith...family man...more than just football.

But it fell flat and clearly pissed off the brass. And I'm sure the part where Parkey said "Football is just what I do, it's not who I am" is what Nagy is talking about when he said something along the lines of "We talk about the team, we talk about 'we'. That felt like a 'me' thing. It was not a 'we' thing,"

That's a professional way of saying that Parkey's decision to appear on Today was extremely selfish, and that's not the culture that the Bears are trying to instill.

A lot can happen between now and March/April, but if you ask me today, I don't see Parkey in a Bears uniform next season.
User avatar
Z Bear
Journeyman
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 am

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Isn't it nice to only be bitching about our kicker? Last year was a crap ton of questions (Coach, QB, pass rush, etc.) and this season it is just Doink.
User avatar
GSH
Assistant Coach
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:50 am

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:51 pm

bad thing for a winning culture too. you cant have 52 other guys looking at parkey, a guy who performed so badly all year, outright didnt do his job and then have him back on your team. It just tells guys that even if they massively under perform there's a chance they keep their job.
Image
User avatar
IotaNet
Crafty Veteran
Location: Minneapolis (Chicago Native)
Posts: 830
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am

Re: Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Z Bear wrote:Isn't it nice to only be bitching about our kicker? Last year was a crap ton of questions (Coach, QB, pass rush, etc.) and this season it is just Doink.
totally agree.

Return to “Halas Hall”