Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Eh... prior to this year Parkey has been really good. I'm not gonna sit around and do a bunch of hand wringing about it.
Made me look up a kicker, damn you :lol:

Prior to this season:

He's a career 66.7% kicker from 40-49 yards

85.7% from 50+
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Rakshir wrote:Robbie Gould hit 84.6% of his FG's the year before the Bears let him go. He was at 75% the year before, his lowest completion percentage while with the Bears. Was never below 96.6% in Extra Points made.

I find it it funny that the talk was Gould had the yips and had to go but Parkey's just in a funk and a great kicker in comparison. Also take into account Gould kicked in Soldier's Field in the Weather all those years and still compiled those stats.
Also take into account the distance of the extra point.

No one is saying that Parkey is without fault, or doesn't deserve a great deal of criticism. But to think you're going to go out on the street and find a better kicker than Parkey, at this point in the season is ludicrous. You want to bring someone in to push him...fine. But you're not going to find a better kicker, who's just sitting on his couch during week 10 of the season.
Thank you.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
EricTighe
MVP

You need to bring in kickers and at least work them out.

Who else says a few hail mary's before he kicks?
G08
Hall of Famer

:rofl:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
EricTighe
MVP

thats sad but funny
BR0D1E86
MVP

I’d say he’s probably safe this week, but the rope is running out in a hurry...

https://twitter.com/BobLeGere/status/10 ... 62976?s=20

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/106 ... 81889?s=20
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Image

:rofl: :rofl: THAT...was outstanding!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: THAT...was outstanding!
Nice! :applaud:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

docc
Head Coach

fucking excellent..
Just as Robbie Gould sets up and,,
Perfect 51 yarder..
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

docc wrote:

fucking excellent..
Perfect 51 yarder..
8 straight from 50+, lol.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:
docc wrote:

fucking excellent..
Perfect 51 yarder..
8 straight from 50+, lol.
I just heard that on the radio WTF! Dammit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Consistent? Consistently hits the uprights. Why they handed over the $$ to him this off season is beyond me.

so were all the Bears fans opening Pepsi's when he was kicking?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

:thumbsup: :lol:
George Carlin
IotaNet
MVP

IotaNet wrote:
Otis Day wrote: The team doesn't practice at Soldier Field, they practice at Halas Hall. He stays with the team when he should take a drive in town at least a few times a week. The wind is the problem in Soldier Field.
This is big to me. He needs to figure out a way to go spend some time in Soldier Field and get a sense for the place.

I realize that I'm dating myself but one of Kevin Butler's big plusses was that he always had an excellent feel for how to kick in Soldier Field. That's something that takes experience and practice. Parkey needs to figure out a way to put in some work on the lakefront.
I know its considered gauche to quote yourself but its always nice when the head coach agrees with you ...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -practice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumbsup:
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
Otis Day wrote: The team doesn't practice at Soldier Field, they practice at Halas Hall. He stays with the team when he should take a drive in town at least a few times a week. The wind is the problem in Soldier Field.
This is big to me. He needs to figure out a way to go spend some time in Soldier Field and get a sense for the place.

I realize that I'm dating myself but one of Kevin Butler's big plusses was that he always had an excellent feel for how to kick in Soldier Field. That's something that takes experience and practice. Parkey needs to figure out a way to put in some work on the lakefront.
I know its considered gauche to quote yourself but its always nice when the head coach agrees with you ...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -practice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumbsup:

I still remember that weird wind game against the 49ers when a Gould field goal attempt seemed to turn right at a 90 degree angle halfway to the uprights

it is one of the first highlights in this video :

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Carlin
mohner1
Practice Squad

always liked that. saw this as a vikes version when whats-his nuts missed a couple and got canned. then the next week Crosby missed 4 or 5. and this came out

“Taylor, we've run out of timeouts. Go in there and get hurt.”
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

You want Parkey to start making FG's. Stick him in the slot for a play, or have him run off T. Show him what his teammates do to get him into position to put some points on the board, only to have him fuck it up. I'm kidding of course, but it would entertaining to watch. At least we would get SOMETHING for the $9M.
malk
Head Coach

Paying kickers is a waste of time.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Not paying one got us rid of Gould.
Pagan
MVP

Thanx wab for posting those Parkey #'s.

I thought I post it here after last week's misses but essentially my message was a "simple, but Parkey rebounds immediately next week = Parkey will be fine".

There's a reason why Pace signed this kicker.. his #' s have been very good & everyone has a fluke game here & there.

There are very few... (Linebacker, RB & Kicker) ... positions that all of us Bears fans have been historically spoiled by & tend to have unrealistically high bars for.
EricTighe
MVP

I do not believe the coaches trust him as much as he thinks.

Case in point. After squibbing that KO out of bounds we elected to go for two instead of FG after our TD's. Doubt it was part of the game plan.
Then we actually had to call a time out to think hard and long about sending him out to ice the game.

There is definitely trust issues with him and deservingly so.
Pagan
MVP

EricTighe wrote:I do not believe the coaches trust him as much as he thinks.

Case in point. After squibbing that KO out of bounds we elected to go for two instead of FG after our TD's. Doubt it was part of the game plan.
Then we actually had to call a time out to think hard and long about sending him out to ice the game.

There is definitely trust issues with him and deservingly so.
Nah..
Looked to me like the Bears were up 3~0, then scored the TD... getting 2pts at that point put the Bears up 11~0.

Against a strong D where scoring pts will be tough & against the Bears D (where the Vikes will have a tougher time scoring) it actually makes sense for the Bears to put the pressure on the Vikes to HAVE to try & score 2 TD's instead.
Statistically the 2pt conversion play is a high% play & also a play that the Bears have already proven much success.

Your case in point would hold more water if this was not the situation... & if Parkey's misque was on a FG or extra point kick (& not a kickoff).
Pagan
MVP

To take it a step further...

The Bears went for & made 2 2pt conversions, making the 4th quarter score 25~20 (instead of 23~20).

Again... successfully putting all of the pressure on Cousins/Vikings to score a TD at the end, instead of a FG to keep them in the game.

This shit ain't checkers...

... it's chess :)
EricTighe
MVP

If you believe that all the power to you. It is nothing but opinions. Mine is the Bears coaching staff looks as though they don't trust him yet.

This shit maybe checkers the way you explain since we went for the bold moves not the safe ones.

Time will tell. But at least he made his kicks pretty easy this week and I hope he continues to. If not we are in some serious trouble.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Pretty sure they trusted him last night. If he missed that long field goal at the end it gave the bikes a short field with a chance to tie.

If he continues to miss, then it’s an issue.
Pagan
MVP

EricTighe wrote:If you believe that all the power to you. It is nothing but opinions. Mine is the Bears coaching staff looks as though they don't trust him yet.

This shit maybe checkers the way you explain since we went for the bold moves not the safe ones.

Time will tell. But at least he made his kicks pretty easy this week and I hope he continues to. If not we are in some serious trouble.

Only opinions?
Sure I guess.

You stated your opinion as to why Nagy went for a 2pt conversion because he didn't trust Parkey after an errand kick-off.
I showed you evidence as to whole it may appear that way at 1st glance.. there are a few reasons why that line of thinking is flawed.

It shouldn't take "time to tell" = except the amoumt of time it takes any individual to have an incorrect opinion, gain new information & then CHANGE that errant opinion to a more sensable one.
Based on better information.

If you or anyone else want to believe that flawed opinions are as valuable as informed ones = that would be your (flawed) opinion.
EricTighe
MVP

Then again your evidence is based off what you believe Nagy was doing. Damn Defensive coordinators and professional cameramen are having issues with what he is thinking and doing. You in the wrong line of work.
UOK
Site Admin

Pagan wrote:
EricTighe wrote:If you believe that all the power to you. It is nothing but opinions. Mine is the Bears coaching staff looks as though they don't trust him yet.

Only opinions?
Sure I guess.

You stated your opinion as to why Nagy went for a 2pt conversion because he didn't trust Parkey after an errand kick-off.
I showed you evidence as to whole it may appear that way at 1st glance.. there are a few reasons why that line of thinking is flawed.

It shouldn't take "time to tell" = except the amoumt of time it takes any individual to have an incorrect opinion, gain new information & then CHANGE that errant opinion to a more sensable one.
Based on better information.

If you or anyone else want to believe that flawed opinions are as valuable as informed ones = that would be your (flawed) opinion.
Nagy's quote regarding the 2PT conversion stuff:

"There was a plan behind it. If you were to ask all the NFL coaches about going for 2 or taking the extra point, they'd say they'd go for two. There's a small differential between going for 1 or 2 (numbers/stat wise). Depends on who you are. If you feel good about the plays you have, why not?"

"(Parkey's missed XPs the previous week influenced) me to say, 'let's go.' It's a combination - considering the previous week, considering that I would prefer to go for two, considering the staff and the playbook's confidence, it was an easy decision."
UOK
Site Admin

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I know I gave the guy a ton of shit, and this thread was my bitchfest, but watch this video. Watch how the team rallied around him. That's special.