Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:I guess it was partially blocked. Still, I don’t know how the Bears can go into next season with him. He’s keeping them from being one of the 3-4 best teams in the NFL.
But do you destroy your FA class when your resources are limited and you don't have R1 and R2 draft picks to change out a kicker who has been good every year prior? Or do you hope that he can be 6" better next year and get a couple more players? As much as you know what the emotional fans want, do you really know that you're better off by drafting a guy in R5? Or pick up a low end FA guy?

We'll see what Pace does. But I can see him pissing off the fans and asking for patience.
He shouldn't worry as much about the fans as the PLAYERS that grinded and worked and bled and sweat and studied and rightfully won that game but have it taken away because of the fucking kicker.
Bearfacts
MVP

Cap hit or not I really don't know how you can keep a guy who keeps costing you games with misses. That's three losses this year including today due to his misses and we dodged a bullet in the Detroit game we could have lost as well.

Even if eating his cap hit means we have to pass on someone else it's not feasible to trust this guy any longer. How many times including today has be practically forced Nagy to attempt a 2 pt conversion because he misses PAT as well?

I suppose it's pretty foolish to think SF won't bring Robbie Gould back but if I'm Pace I would sure take a run at him because I don't wanna hear anymore crap from Nagy, Tabor, or Pace about how he can be trusted. His accuracy is just not there and it can't be excused.

That said, failing to score on offense was also a major contributor which meant leaving the game in the hands of the one guy we've been saying since mid season simply can't be trusted with the game on the line. He's been spraying kicks all over the place all season long and in preseason as well and despite extra practice overall he's not improved.

I suppose it's too much to hope for that he'll just retire in shame. :frustrated:
docc
Head Coach

Is there a league that gives points for hitting uprights or crossbar?
Maybe like in Afghanistan or Somalia..

He could be their first big name failure..
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Umbali wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
UOK wrote:I don’t care about the money at this point. You can’t afford the losses from his inconsistency.
This.

The sucky performance is even more expensive than the contract. They need to bring people in this week for tryouts.

Even if to scare his dumb ass

Who is available?! Someone find out for me cus Im um maybe drunk
I'm really hoping OAK tries to stash Pineiro on PS so we can steal him or outright cuts him as Carson has done pretty damn well. Hell I'd throw them a 7th just so they can get some value.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

I know it's mean but:

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:I guess it was partially blocked. Still, I don’t know how the Bears can go into next season with him. He’s keeping them from being one of the 3-4 best teams in the NFL.
But do you destroy your FA class when your resources are limited and you don't have R1 and R2 draft picks to change out a kicker who has been good every year prior? Or do you hope that he can be 6" better next year and get a couple more players? As much as you know what the emotional fans want, do you really know that you're better off by drafting a guy in R5? Or pick up a low end FA guy?

We'll see what Pace does. But I can see him pissing off the fans and asking for patience.
Oh, I can see him keeping him into preseason, but one screw up and it's done.

I don't see it screwing up an FA pickups, yes its a dead cap hit, but also frees up salary that will more than pay for a kicker at this point.
The situation with Parkey has been at the point where we shouldn't blame Parkey but the management that keeps him in that place. The problem needed to be addressed weeks ago when he had that game where he missed all those FGs. Sorry Pace, we've got....HAD....a playoff team on our hands here and we can't afford to have the shit show. This wasn't some 4-12 season where we can giggle about the kicker and be happy because we moved up a draft slot.

Whether it fucks up our cap or not or whatever, we've got other players that we need to cut (Sims, Long, etc.) to where we can afford to replace a kicker for fuck's sake. And if a kicker's contract of all things is what prevents us from moving forward then we don't deserve to win those games anyway.

I'm heartbroken for the defense, Biscuit, Nagy and obviously Bears fans this morning.
Z Bear
MVP

$4,062,500 = 2019 cap hit if he plays
$5,187,500 = 2019 cap hit if he is cut

Way too much for a suspect kicker to begin with
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote:$4,062,500 = 2019 cap hit if he plays
Plus the cost of his replacement.

So, at minimum, you're talking:

4M to stay
5.7M to replace

and could be a lot more like:
4M to stay
8M to replace

It's an uncomfortable situation for a team that's about to learn about cap constraints
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

I don't see it screwing up an FA pickups, yes its a dead cap hit, but also frees up salary that will more than pay for a kicker at this point.
The situation with Parkey has been at the point where we shouldn't blame Parkey but the management that keeps him in that place. The problem needed to be addressed weeks ago when he had that game where he missed all those FGs. Sorry Pace, we've got....HAD....a playoff team on our hands here and we can't afford to have the shit show. This wasn't some 4-12 season where we can giggle about the kicker and be happy because we moved up a draft slot.

Whether it fucks up our cap or not or whatever, we've got other players that we need to cut (Sims, Long, etc.) to where we can afford to replace a kicker for fuck's sake. And if a kicker's contract of all things is what prevents us from moving forward then we don't deserve to win those games anyway.

I'm heartbroken for the defense, Biscuit, Nagy and obviously Bears fans this morning.
All of that to me is blah, blah... blah, blah, blah... emotion. You're pissed. We all get it. All of those other players like Sims you're talking about are completely irrelevant. That's cap money we'd have in hand whether we had a kicker issue or not.

The real question is... Would you rather spend $4-5M on one quality starter at a regular position or would you rather spend it to replace Parkey with a guy who could be the same or worse? If you would, OK. That's your choice. And maybe that's the right one.

Ryan Pace needs to look at this logically, not emotionally. And Bears fans are generally wildly pissed at Parkey and making statements based on that. I just think rational thought needs to rule the day here. Not pissedoffedness.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

All of that to me is blah, blah... blah, blah, blah... emotion. You're pissed. We all get it. All of those other players like Sims you're talking about are completely irrelevant. That's cap money we'd have in hand whether we had a kicker issue or not.

The real question is... Would you rather spend $4-5M on one quality starter at a regular position or would you rather spend it to replace Parkey with a guy who could be the same or worse? If you would, OK. That's your choice. And maybe that's the right one.

Ryan Pace needs to look at this logically, not emotionally. And Bears fans are generally wildly pissed at Parkey and making statements based on that. I just think rational thought needs to rule the day here. Not pissedoffedness.
The meatball in me wants Parkey thrown out on his ear. The rational, level-headed, logical fan in me knows that there is a high probability that Parkey is the Bears kicker next season.

Parkey HAS been good in the past. There's no disputing it, he was a pro bowl kicker in 2014, tore every muscle in his groin in 2015, rehabbed in 2016, and was trending up again last year. Pace saw potential there, and that's why he is making the money he is making.

I'm not defending him. I don't like him. He's my least favorite player in the NFL right now. But the Bears aren't going to spend 7 million dollars just to replace a kicker with a guy who might not be any better.
SC Bear
Journeyman

The Eagles claim the ball was tipped? Was it?
skamanfrank
Journeyman

wab wrote:
Stuff
The meatball in me wants Parkey thrown out on his ear. The rational, level-headed, logical fan in me knows that there is a high probability that Parkey is the Bears kicker next season.

Parkey HAS been good in the past. There's no disputing it, he was a pro bowl kicker in 2014, tore every muscle in his groin in 2015, rehabbed in 2016, and was trending up again last year. Pace saw potential there, and that's why he is making the money he is making.

I'm not defending him. I don't like him. He's my least favorite player in the NFL right now. But the Bears aren't going to spend 7 million dollars just to replace a kicker with a guy who might not be any better.
This is kinda my thoughts really. Right... I can't stand him. A couple of days ago I just disliked him. All season I haven't trusted him.

BUT, when I take a moment to make sure I'm being rational, I realise that he is the same guy who was a very good kicker in the past.
Look at kickers across the league.... Boswell had a shocker of a season, look at the history of the Chargers and the Bucs... they had a couple of TERRIBLE seasons with kickers. Do we want to be in that position where we end up going through 3 or 4 kickers in a couple of years, all of whom are crap....?
skamanfrank
Journeyman

SC Bear wrote:The Eagles claim the ball was tipped? Was it?
Slow-mo suggests that Treyvon Hester probably got the lightest of touches on it. Some people say it was enough to send it off course, some people say it was going to miss anyway. Nobody actually knows ultimately.
wab
Mod

skamanfrank wrote:
SC Bear wrote:The Eagles claim the ball was tipped? Was it?
Slow-mo suggests that Treyvon Hester probably got the lightest of touches on it. Some people say it was enough to send it off course, some people say it was going to miss anyway. Nobody actually knows ultimately.
From PFT:
Treyvon Hester tipped Cody Parkey’s kick on its way to upright
Posted by Josh Alper on January 7, 2019, 7:45 AM EST

Sunday’s game between the Bears and Eagles was settled when Bears kicker Cody Parkey‘s field goal attempt with five seconds left on the clock hit the upright and crossbar before falling to the turf in what felt like a fitting final chapter to a rough season for the kicker.

Parkey’s kick didn’t go offline entirely on its own, however. Breaking down the video of the play shows that Eagles defensive lineman Treyvon Hester got his hand on the ball as it was going up.

“Me and Haloti [Ngata] … we got penetration, got the hand up like coach always says,” Hester said, via Philly.com. “Tipped off my fingertips. Felt good … [but] actually, I thought I didn’t get enough of it, I thought it was going to go in. When I saw it going in, I turned back around [away from the goal posts]. Then I heard everybody screaming, I was like, oh, [bleep] … he missed it.”

Hester played 94 special teams snaps for the Eagles during the regular season, but none of them was nearly as memorable as the one he played late in Sunday’s win.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It was. Tipped, finger tip tip, not blocked.

Parkey is a career 84% FG kicker. Surprisingly he has been strong in the 50-50+ catergory (limited), 7-9

He problem area is the 40-49, 27-39, 69%
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Yeah, saw that same quote on NFL.com earlier.

There's slow-mo video on the NFL article. You can see his finger move as the ball passes.... but whether or not it's enough to put the ball off course, no one knows.
wab
Mod

skamanfrank wrote:Yeah, saw that same quote on NFL.com earlier.

There's slow-mo video on the NFL article. You can see his finger move as the ball passes.... but whether or not it's enough to put the ball off course, no one knows.
I really thought it was going in. I jumped off the couch, screamed YES! and scared the dogs...then it just drifted left. It was so weird.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

I'm telling ya, it was weird. I'm watching it over here in the UK at like 1am. In bed, missus asleep, room glowing from the laptop screen, already dog tired through complete lack of sleep over the last couple of days... I was kinda numb to it! Almost felt like it was a nightmare and I could have woken up.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

From usually hitting the right upright to hitting the left.............................
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm not as sympathetic as some of you here, I want him gone and I don't care if we have to eat his $5M. How do we get around this? Find a UDFA or draft someone in the 6th or 7th round if you really like them.

You simply cannot go into next season with this asshat as your kicker. He cost us one game in the regular season, which would have given us a bye if I'm not mistaken, and then he goes and costs us a playoff game victory. People can argue the team lost the game -- fine -- but a 43 yarder is a chip-shot in today's NFL. Get him the fuck out of here.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Yeah, the locker room needs to see him get waived. Forget about the cap $$$, show the team that regardless of your paycheck you are all going to be held accountable. Maybe we can steal that Rosas guy from the Giants.
wab
Mod

I'm not sympathetic in the least. Economically though, it's a tough call. Even if the Bears find a UDFA or late round pick, that guy is essentially going to cost 6 million or so.

I'll be happy as a clam if they cut his ass. I'm just saying (and preparing myself) that I'll get it if they don't.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'm not sympathetic in the least. Economically though, it's a tough call. Even if the Bears find a UDFA or late round pick, that guy is essentially going to cost 6 million or so.

I'll be happy as a clam if they cut his ass. I'm just saying (and preparing myself) that I'll get it if they don't.
Playing around with the salary cap calculator, if we cut him June 1st it is a cap hit of $4,062,500 for the season. If we go UDFA or whatever, that's another $500k on the books. I can live with that if it means I don't have to see his stupid fucking face anymore.

Bearfacts
MVP

Z Bear wrote:$4,062,500 = 2019 cap hit if he plays

Way too much for a suspect kicker to begin with
Which is why Pace can at the very least draft or bring in competition and force Parkey to win his job back.

We shouldn't assume the cost of replacing him is so high. A draftee or UDFA would make a minimum salary and I can't help but think we could find one whose FG accuracy is better than 75%.

If there was any interview all year that pissed me off no end it was Parkey defending his inconsistency by looping his PAT in with his FGs to say he was 87% accurate. He should be 95%-100% good on PAT and 87% on FGs alone.

IMHO this kid was way too willing to make excuses for himself and yesterday was another example of the results from that. Even with extra practice in SF he can't correct the flaws in his stroke that consistently cause him to push most kicks right and because that gets in his head he overcompensates and occasionally pulls one left like yesterday.

In his case it's both psychological and flaw in his technique. You can see it in many end zone shots.

And he has NOT always been a consistent PK. In the past three seasons he's 88/95/93% on PATs and 67/82/82% on FGs including yesterday. That's pretty much spot on with Connor Barth's career stats and in two of the past three seasons Parkey missed 5 and 7 FG attempt and 3 PATs twice. Only in one year in Miami has he been a 90% or better PK and even there he missed 3 PATs. Is it any wonder why Nagy goes for 2 pt. conversions so often?

In reality he's was only marginally better in Miami (90% overall) than his 87% overall here and for this we guaranteed him $9 mil? I'm sure some will disagree but as PKs go this signing was as poor as Glennon's and it will also cost us to get out from under it.

We can't win championships with a PK who struggles to make 75% of his FGs and in his entire career has made only 70% from 40 yards or more. Based on that yesterday was a disaster waiting to happen and we all had a hunch it might come down to that and once again Parkey would fail. IMHO I don't see him improving either so he's gotta go.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Bearfacts wrote:
In his case it's both psychological and flaw in his technique. You can see it in many end zone shots.
Out of interest and asking as a genuine question, not for the sake of being facetious... what is it that you can see in end zone shots? I'm not clued up enough with a good kicking stroke to see it without prompt.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I'm getting tot he point where I don't care about his %. He isn't clutch. When the game is on the line, you cannot count on him. That alone makes eating his contract worth it IMO.
G08
Hall of Famer

If you cut Sims, Acho and Parkey, our 2019 cap goes from $19,742,452 to $26,742,452.

Z Bear
MVP

G08 wrote:If you cut Sims and Parkey, our 2019 cap goes from $19,742,452 to $24,617,452.
Fixed it for you! Acho is a good 3rd OLB and special teams guy for $2M next year, leave Sam out of it!