Update: Cody Parkey is a disgrace to place kickers

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Pagan
MVP

Thanx wab for posting those Parkey #'s.

I thought I post it here after last week's misses but essentially my message was a "simple, but Parkey rebounds immediately next week = Parkey will be fine".

There's a reason why Pace signed this kicker.. his #' s have been very good & everyone has a fluke game here & there.

There are very few... (Linebacker, RB & Kicker) ... positions that all of us Bears fans have been historically spoiled by & tend to have unrealistically high bars for.
EricTighe
MVP

I do not believe the coaches trust him as much as he thinks.

Case in point. After squibbing that KO out of bounds we elected to go for two instead of FG after our TD's. Doubt it was part of the game plan.
Then we actually had to call a time out to think hard and long about sending him out to ice the game.

There is definitely trust issues with him and deservingly so.
Pagan
MVP

EricTighe wrote:I do not believe the coaches trust him as much as he thinks.

Case in point. After squibbing that KO out of bounds we elected to go for two instead of FG after our TD's. Doubt it was part of the game plan.
Then we actually had to call a time out to think hard and long about sending him out to ice the game.

There is definitely trust issues with him and deservingly so.
Nah..
Looked to me like the Bears were up 3~0, then scored the TD... getting 2pts at that point put the Bears up 11~0.

Against a strong D where scoring pts will be tough & against the Bears D (where the Vikes will have a tougher time scoring) it actually makes sense for the Bears to put the pressure on the Vikes to HAVE to try & score 2 TD's instead.
Statistically the 2pt conversion play is a high% play & also a play that the Bears have already proven much success.

Your case in point would hold more water if this was not the situation... & if Parkey's misque was on a FG or extra point kick (& not a kickoff).
Pagan
MVP

To take it a step further...

The Bears went for & made 2 2pt conversions, making the 4th quarter score 25~20 (instead of 23~20).

Again... successfully putting all of the pressure on Cousins/Vikings to score a TD at the end, instead of a FG to keep them in the game.

This shit ain't checkers...

... it's chess :)
EricTighe
MVP

If you believe that all the power to you. It is nothing but opinions. Mine is the Bears coaching staff looks as though they don't trust him yet.

This shit maybe checkers the way you explain since we went for the bold moves not the safe ones.

Time will tell. But at least he made his kicks pretty easy this week and I hope he continues to. If not we are in some serious trouble.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Pretty sure they trusted him last night. If he missed that long field goal at the end it gave the bikes a short field with a chance to tie.

If he continues to miss, then it’s an issue.
Pagan
MVP

EricTighe wrote:If you believe that all the power to you. It is nothing but opinions. Mine is the Bears coaching staff looks as though they don't trust him yet.

This shit maybe checkers the way you explain since we went for the bold moves not the safe ones.

Time will tell. But at least he made his kicks pretty easy this week and I hope he continues to. If not we are in some serious trouble.

Only opinions?
Sure I guess.

You stated your opinion as to why Nagy went for a 2pt conversion because he didn't trust Parkey after an errand kick-off.
I showed you evidence as to whole it may appear that way at 1st glance.. there are a few reasons why that line of thinking is flawed.

It shouldn't take "time to tell" = except the amoumt of time it takes any individual to have an incorrect opinion, gain new information & then CHANGE that errant opinion to a more sensable one.
Based on better information.

If you or anyone else want to believe that flawed opinions are as valuable as informed ones = that would be your (flawed) opinion.
EricTighe
MVP

Then again your evidence is based off what you believe Nagy was doing. Damn Defensive coordinators and professional cameramen are having issues with what he is thinking and doing. You in the wrong line of work.
UOK
Site Admin

Pagan wrote:
EricTighe wrote:If you believe that all the power to you. It is nothing but opinions. Mine is the Bears coaching staff looks as though they don't trust him yet.

Only opinions?
Sure I guess.

You stated your opinion as to why Nagy went for a 2pt conversion because he didn't trust Parkey after an errand kick-off.
I showed you evidence as to whole it may appear that way at 1st glance.. there are a few reasons why that line of thinking is flawed.

It shouldn't take "time to tell" = except the amoumt of time it takes any individual to have an incorrect opinion, gain new information & then CHANGE that errant opinion to a more sensable one.
Based on better information.

If you or anyone else want to believe that flawed opinions are as valuable as informed ones = that would be your (flawed) opinion.
Nagy's quote regarding the 2PT conversion stuff:

"There was a plan behind it. If you were to ask all the NFL coaches about going for 2 or taking the extra point, they'd say they'd go for two. There's a small differential between going for 1 or 2 (numbers/stat wise). Depends on who you are. If you feel good about the plays you have, why not?"

"(Parkey's missed XPs the previous week influenced) me to say, 'let's go.' It's a combination - considering the previous week, considering that I would prefer to go for two, considering the staff and the playbook's confidence, it was an easy decision."
UOK
Site Admin

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I know I gave the guy a ton of shit, and this thread was my bitchfest, but watch this video. Watch how the team rallied around him. That's special.
EricTighe
MVP

Did you hear the roars from the fans when he made his first one. We need him to be accurate. He is as important to this team as anyone with where I believe we can get.

Still saying it. SuperBowl or bust.
Pagan
MVP

EricTighe wrote:Then again your evidence is based off what you believe Nagy was doing. Damn Defensive coordinators and professional cameramen are having issues with what he is thinking and doing. You in the wrong line of work.
*My evidence is based on a collection of football observations, and the best ones being literally how football is played.
The less credible of the observations would be how coach Nagy actually LOOKED while sending his kicker onto the field & LITERALLY ALL OF THE WORDS USED TO DESCRIBE HIS KICKER.*

Not how it makes me feel emotionally or hunches/gut feelings/whatever a media member told me.

I'm starting to sense that you believe that you're having a personal argument here... OR.... you believe in your hunch/media fed hot take so much that you're not open to changing your view which.. HONESTLY.. is totally fine with me.

*Not sure what your problem is & I'm really not concerned. I'm not interested in having a senseless argument that has no real resolution.
So I'm good on this & hope you are as well.
EricTighe
MVP

There are trust issues going into this game.

Though I may be wrong on the Kick off there are definitely trust issues that led us to go for 2.

Nagy's own words.

"(Parkey's missed XPs the previous week influenced) me to say, 'let's go.' It's a combination - considering the previous week, considering that I would prefer to go for two, considering the staff and the playbook's confidence, it was an easy decision.

No I am not taking it personally. I think it funny.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

UOK wrote:

So I know I gave the guy a ton of shit, and this thread was my bitchfest, but watch this video. Watch how the team rallied around him. That's special.
IM NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING
LacertineForest
MVP

Lmao, he won Special Teams player of the week.

I'm glad to see how he rebounded and the team rallied around him, but none of his kicks would have been particularly noteworthy had it not been for what happened the week prior. Also, he gave the ball to the Vikings at the 40 by kicking it out of bounds - guess it must have been a slow week for special teams players.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

that kickoff out of bounds was pretty stupid

but it is a nice feel good story about how Parkey mostly rebounded from his weekend of doinks and how he has team support
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Pagan
MVP

lol to this threads name change
(looking at wab)

I believe it's possible that many are missing how genuinely close these coaches are to these players & how tight~nit this team is as a whole.

Again... it's a testament to the franchise, Pace & Nagy for reestablishing a proper team culture & then going the extra mile (see moves like "Club Dub")

These players & coaches absolutely will not turn on eachother through slumps or hard times.
Pretty cool.

On a non~"touchy feely" stance...
despite many fans, media (& website owners) angst.. I there was NEVER going to be a move away from Parkey ( barring a string of 3 or more terrible games) due to the VERY simple fact that this kicker has a VERY solid history of being a very good kicker!

And... of course... His contract is WAY too large of a hit to take to make a quick knee-jerk move like booting a proven vet for slumping a bit =while STILL winning games).

Anywho...
IotaNet
MVP

Pagan wrote:lol to this threads name change
(looking at wab)
That is all. :rofl:
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

So when do we expect someone to change wab’s Board name to “Leno’s #1 Fan”
UOK
Site Admin

IotaNet wrote:
(looking at wab)
Ha, nope. Self-inflicted.
Pagan
MVP

UOK wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
(looking at wab)
Ha, nope. Self-inflicted.

I totally figured... has UOK's self depreciating humor all over it.

Thought it was funnier to pin it on you :)
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'm not a Parkey hater, but I'm going to say this is the first time the STs player of the week booted a kickoff out of bounds. :sick:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Well they wont return it for a touchdown if you kick it out of bounds!
UOK
Site Admin

Let’s pick up where we left off.
UOK
Site Admin

#Eagles T Jason Peters said he knew once he saw former teammate Cody Parkey’s first attempt (which didn’t count because of a timeout), he knew Parkey was missing the second. Hasn’t been the same since an injury. “I told him thank you after the game.”
docc
Head Coach

I can't believe it's Parkay..donk..donk..

Ok..I believe..
wab
Mod

I guess it was partially blocked. Still, I don’t know how the Bears can go into next season with him. He’s keeping them from being one of the 3-4 best teams in the NFL.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote:I guess it was partially blocked. Still, I don’t know how the Bears can go into next season with him. He’s keeping them from being one of the 3-4 best teams in the NFL.
Agreed, and at that distance there is no way the trajectory should be that low.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I guess it was partially blocked. Still, I don’t know how the Bears can go into next season with him. He’s keeping them from being one of the 3-4 best teams in the NFL.
But do you destroy your FA class when your resources are limited and you don't have R1 and R2 draft picks to change out a kicker who has been good every year prior? Or do you hope that he can be 6" better next year and get a couple more players? As much as you know what the emotional fans want, do you really know that you're better off by drafting a guy in R5? Or pick up a low end FA guy?

We'll see what Pace does. But I can see him pissing off the fans and asking for patience.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
But do you destroy your FA class when your resources are limited and you don't have R1 and R2 draft picks to change out a kicker who has been good every year prior? Or do you hope that he can be 6" better next year and get a couple more players? As much as you know what the emotional fans want, do you really know that you're better off by drafting a guy in R5? Or pick up a low end FA guy?

We'll see what Pace does. But I can see him pissing off the fans and asking for patience.
Oh, I can see him keeping him into preseason, but one screw up and it's done.

I don't see it screwing up an FA pickups, yes its a dead cap hit, but also frees up salary that will more than pay for a kicker at this point.