Z Bear
MVP

Since Bears cut Robbie Gould, they’ve missed 19 field goals and he’s missed 3

ouch!!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/since-bears-cut-robbie-gould-142210514.html
wab
Mod

Z Bear wrote:
G08 wrote:If you cut Sims and Parkey, our 2019 cap goes from $19,742,452 to $24,617,452.
Fixed it for you! Acho is a good 3rd OLB and special teams guy for $2M next year, leave Sam out of it!
He’s also 30 and isn’t the most durable. Irving is a more than adequate replacement.
snake95
Journeyman

Parkey could make a hundred kicks in a row next year and it won't matter to most Bear fans...If he even misses one kick he'll get roasted now...I don't know that Pace has any choice but to move elswhere and also let Parkey get a change of scenery.
Z Bear
MVP

wab wrote:
Z Bear wrote:
G08 wrote:If you cut Sims and Parkey, our 2019 cap goes from $19,742,452 to $24,617,452.
Fixed it for you! Acho is a good 3rd OLB and special teams guy for $2M next year, leave Sam out of it!
He’s also 30 and isn’t the most durable. Irving is a more than adequate replacement.
Irving rushes the passer and would be a Mack back up. Acho plays the run more and would be a Floyd back up. The wildcard is Fitts, if he has a good preseason I could see letting Acho go. Irving is also a RFA... so he is going to cost around $2M too unless they throw a low tender at him.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I'm not as sympathetic as some of you here, I want him gone and I don't care if we have to eat his $5M. How do we get around this? Find a UDFA or draft someone in the 6th or 7th round if you really like them.

You simply cannot go into next season with this asshat as your kicker. He cost us one game in the regular season, which would have given us a bye if I'm not mistaken, and then he goes and costs us a playoff game victory. People can argue the team lost the game -- fine -- but a 43 yarder is a chip-shot in today's NFL. Get him the fuck out of here.
THIS POST RIGHT HERE! 100% AGREEMENT!

Parkey CANNOT be on this team next year.

I still feel like vomiting. It's going to be awhile before I get over this one. Sadly and admittedly, as a Chicago sports fan, I've experienced more emotionally crushing losses, but this still fucking sucks. I've deleted the game from my DVR and its going to be an effort to get this out of my head.

I am SO PROUD of our new coach, Biscuit, the defense, and especially my guy Anthony Miller. I love this team and I love the overall direction we're going.
malk
Head Coach

What the actual fuck was Pace thinking? It's no Glennon albatros but good christ, who was he bidding against? Love, adore his drafting but his free agency contracts are weird.

As for Parkey, it's down to his mind now. I could see him totally crumbling but there isn't an amazing option out there we can afford (much as we'd all love Gould back). We go into the season with him and he needs to show some clutch ability before playoff time or he's bounced then. We absolutely need a plan B but, if his mind isn't shot, we've got to hope he reverts back to the mean.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Still extremely upset over the loss.

I bet he is back next season, just a gut feeling with his contract.
docc
Head Coach

Parkay awarded the dreaded..
Scott Norwood memorial trophy..

On another note..Eagles are awarding Pokey a playoff share..
Knuckles
Player of the Month

The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:I'm not as sympathetic as some of you here, I want him gone and I don't care if we have to eat his $5M. How do we get around this? Find a UDFA or draft someone in the 6th or 7th round if you really like them.

You simply cannot go into next season with this asshat as your kicker. He cost us one game in the regular season, which would have given us a bye if I'm not mistaken, and then he goes and costs us a playoff game victory. People can argue the team lost the game -- fine -- but a 43 yarder is a chip-shot in today's NFL. Get him the fuck out of here.

I still feel like vomiting. It's going to be awhile before I get over this one. Sadly and admittedly, as a Chicago sports fan, I've experienced more emotionally crushing losses, but this still fucking sucks. I've deleted the game from my DVR and its going to be an effort to get this out of my head.

I am SO PROUD of our new coach, Biscuit, the defense, and especially my guy Anthony Miller. I love this team and I love the overall direction we're going.
Agree with all of this... There's no way in HELL any fan will accept him on this team next year. Everyone did their part this year but for him. I'm glad Parkey can find solace in god but I don't believe in god so I can still be pissed off at this chump if I want. Pace has done a hell of a job putting together a great roster but he has a little work to do still. I cannot see him not having like 5 kickers on the team going into OTAs and TC. Bring in a draft pick, a few FAs and try out a few soccer or rugby players get creative find the right guy.

Was one hell of a season though... I am disappointed but pleased at the same time. What were the damn chances of him hitting the upright let alone the outside of the crossbar. I mean I told my friend (as I'm sure a lot of you did) after he made the first "watch him hit the upright on this one". Sure enough... My friend who's not a Bear fan was astounded I called it lol. I had to explain to him what's happened earlier with this douchebag kicker.

Anyhow, here's to a solid future ahead with Da Bears!
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Knuckles wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:

Agree with all of this... There's no way in HELL any fan will accept him on this team next year. Everyone did their part this year but for him. I'm glad Parkey can find solace in god but I don't believe in god so I can still be pissed off at this chump if I want. Pace has done a hell of a job putting together a great roster but he has a little work to do still. I cannot see him not having like 5 kickers on the team going into OTAs and TC. Bring in a draft pick, a few FAs and try out a few soccer or rugby players get creative find the right guy.

Was one hell of a season though... I am disappointed but pleased at the same time. What were the damn chances of him hitting the upright let alone the outside of the crossbar. I mean I told my friend (as I'm sure a lot of you did) after he made the first "watch him hit the upright on this one". Sure enough... My friend who's not a Bear fan was astounded I called it lol. I had to explain to him what's happened earlier with this douchebag kicker.

Anyhow, here's to a solid future ahead with Da Bears!
I'm still not over the loss, but I will say this.

The Green Bay game in week 1 was a litmus test. Let's see what we've got here. Look how much everybody has grown since that game. I think that game pissed them off and got them rolling. I hope this game did the same thing. Shit, look how pissed we are! Can you imagine how pumped we're all gonna be for opening day in 2019. I think they'll be that times 10. Few things motivate like a chip on the shoulder.
wab
Mod

There's no way in HELL any fan will accept him on this team next year.
While I agree, at the end of the day the team doesn't give a shit what fans want when it comes to the roster or personnel moves.

It all comes down to his contract, if they think he will bounce back, or if they think they can find a suitable replacement that makes it worth eating his salary.

They don't give the fans a second thought.
Z Bear
MVP

Exactly.... top that off with a tight cap situation this off season and he is most likely back. I would bring in two rookies and have them all battle it out in camp though. If one of the rooks looks good and Doink still has the yips, cut his ass. But you really cannot afford to allocate $7M+ of your cap to a kicker when you only have 38 players under contract and $20M to work with.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

NFL changes Bears' Cody Parkey's miss to a block
Kicker Cody Parkey has been getting roasted for missing the potentially game-winning field goal in the Chicago Bears' playoff loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. It turns out he wasn't totally to blame.

The NFL officially changed the 43-yard miss to a block by Eagles defensive tackle Treyvon Hester on Monday. The lineman barely got a finger on the ball, but it changed the trajectory enough that the kick hit the upright, dropped down to the crossbar and then out.

"Me and Haloti [Ngata] ... we got penetration, got the hand up like coach always says," Hester said, according to the Philadelphia Daily News. "Tipped off my fingertips. Felt good ... [but] actually, I thought I didn't get enough of it, I thought it was going to go in. When I saw it going in, I turned back around [away from the goal posts]. Then I heard everybody screaming, I was like, oh, [expletive] ... he missed it."

In the immediate aftermath of the game, it didn't appear that many people picked up on the fact that Hester got a hand on the ball. Parkey, who had been under fire in Chicago well before the game for missing a league-high 10 kicks during the regular season, didn't shy away from facing the media after the contest.

"You can't make this up," Parkey said. "I feel terrible. I let the team down. That's on me. I have to own it. I have to be a man. Unfortunately, that's the way it went today."

follow the link and watch the video ... Eagle player did get his hand on the ball

doesn't change the result, but for credit to be given to a defensive play rather than it being a choke job makes it a bit more palatable
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Knuckles
Player of the Month

The tip still changes nothing because he made the first one and saw that he barely made (a 43) so he changed the trajectory lower which allowed the defender to graze it with his finger. That's still on the kicker. A 43 should not be a kick you barely make distance wise so much so you kick the next kick lower to confiscate. The guy sucks...

I get the cap thing here but if he's our kicker next year and messes up like this again some nut job fan will kill him for real. Imagine the same scenario and now we have the Bills reputation "laces out" BS lol. I can see it happen this guy Parkey has shown no sign of being able to shrug off something like this.

The Bills should have won what like 2 - 3 SBs if it wasn't for their kicker? So there's been a scenario played out in the past that's similar to this one with the Bears or at least could be if not addressed...
Last edited by Knuckles on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
While I agree, at the end of the day the team doesn't give a shit what fans want when it comes to the roster or personnel moves.

It all comes down to his contract, if they think he will bounce back, or if they think they can find a suitable replacement that makes it worth eating his salary.

Nor should they. Fans are fickle and don't have anywhere close to the information they have.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:

Nor should they. Fans are fickle and don't have anywhere close to the information they have.
Hard to really hide anything with a kicker... I'm sure any fan can see with their own eyes the problems with him. What else can it be? Mental issues? Pretty easy to see that as well from your couch at home. It's not like he's the QB or MLB and there's a ton of other circumstances involved on the field. We saw with every kick he's missed (for the most part) the snap and hold were fine. The rest is all on him.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

In the category of... Post that I probably... no... really Really REALLY shouldn't hit Submit on...

On the Hoge and Jahns Podcast Eagles postgame, Adam Hoge pointed out that Robbie Gould was in a Soldier skybox for the game and that he becomes a free agent this offseason.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Knuckles wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:

Hard to really hide anything with a kicker... I'm sure any fan can see with their own eyes the problems with him. What else can it be? Mental issues? Pretty easy to see that as well from your couch at home. It's not like he's the QB or MLB and there's a ton of other circumstances involved on the field. We saw with every kick he's missed (for the most part) the snap and hold were fine. The rest is all on him.
Is the guy mentally weak or strong? Does he have a good attitude? How does he practice every day? Does he do everything he can to improve? Does he listen to coaching? Is he stable outside of work? What information do they have about all of the alternatives, mental and physical?

Yeah. No reason to know anything else about the guy. That's irrelevant. All you need to know to make an effective judgement is what happens on TV. :roll:

Knuckles
Player of the Month

Mikefive wrote:In the category of... Post that I probably... no... really Really REALLY shouldn't hit Submit on...

On the Hoge and Jahns Podcast Eagles postgame, Adam Hoge pointed out that Robbie Gould was in a Soldier skybox for the game and that he becomes a free agent this offseason.
Hah yeah I saw that... As much as I love Gould I think they need to find a young guy with a strong leg to kick up in Soldier Field. That place is a nightmare at any given time to kick the ball. Need another Butler that guy was good and mentally one tough SOB. Whatever happened to his kid is he still in the NFL? I remember he was here for a tryout what the last offseason?
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Mikefive wrote:
Knuckles wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:

Is the guy mentally weak or strong? Does he have a good attitude? How does he practice every day? Does he do everything he can to improve? Does he listen to coaching? Is he stable outside of work? What information do they have about all of the alternatives, mental and physical?

Yeah. No reason to know anything else about the guy. That's irrelevant. All you need to know to make an effective judgement is what happens on TV. :roll:
None of that matters with a kicker man. Hate to say it. They don't need to know the playbook, they don't need to be work out warriors all they need to do is kick the damn ball. And, he's proven he hasn't a real strong leg and he's proven he gets rattled and can't mentally turn it around. I mean 4 post hits in one game and now this. I don't need insight from the coaches or Dr. Phill to see any of this.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I could understand him seeing a sports psychologist this offseason.

wab
Mod

As angry as I am with Parkey after this season, hitting the post 5 times in the regular season is an absolute fluke.
BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote:As angry as I am with Parkey after this season, hitting the post 5 times in the regular season is an absolute fluke.
You’re saying next year they’ll all just sail wide and miss altogether?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

This Might Be the Reason Cody Parkey Hits the Goal Post So Often
Whether the ball was tipped or not, one things for sure…Cody Parkey has a propensity of hitting the Goal Post. Why, well our friends at 12 UP got hold of this practice video posted on Instagram by Cody Parkey. Apparently, Cody works on his accuracy by PRACTICING HITTING POLES. In fact, in 2016 he posted a video of himself nailing a light pole. Above the Heart of the NFL compiled some clips of the actual Goal Post Doinks.

follow the link to see the video

so, the suggestion is he might be subconsciously programming himself to hit the posts because he practices accuracy doing just that - hitting posts
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:This Might Be the Reason Cody Parkey Hits the Goal Post So Often
Whether the ball was tipped or not, one things for sure…Cody Parkey has a propensity of hitting the Goal Post. Why, well our friends at 12 UP got hold of this practice video posted on Instagram by Cody Parkey. Apparently, Cody works on his accuracy by PRACTICING HITTING POLES. In fact, in 2016 he posted a video of himself nailing a light pole. Above the Heart of the NFL compiled some clips of the actual Goal Post Doinks.

follow the link to see the video

so, the suggestion is he might be subconsciously programming himself to hit the posts because he practices accuracy doing just that - hitting posts
Hmmm. That's super interesting.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Karma? You punish the poles, so the poles punish back?

G08
Hall of Famer

Eh not buying the logic, Robbie Gould used to warm up by hitting goal posts as well.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Richie
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote:He is gonna be here. Almost 6 mill hit next year if they cut him.
I'd sure take a 6 mil cap hit to still have a season...
Richie
MVP

G08 wrote:Eh not buying the logic, Robbie Gould used to warm up by hitting goal posts as well.
Yeah, I think it's a common enough drill for place kickers at all levels.

However, maybe there's something to how separate individuals respond to it.
docc
Head Coach

CODY PARKEY ATTEMPTS SUICIDE AFTER MISSING GAME WINNING FIELD COAL

Tuesday 1/8/2019 3:12 pm
AP news
Sportsline

Cody Parkey, place kicker for the Chicago Bears was found alive after an apparent suicide attempt in his north suburban home. Mr Parkey was found standing on a chair with rope still fastened around his neck. Apparently Mr Parkey attempted to kick the chair from under him but missed the center of the chair and his foot bounced off the arm of the chair leaving Mr Parkey stuck between chair and a nearby table, unhurt.
Mr Parkey was unavailable for comment.
Last edited by docc on Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.