We're now 6-3, but.........

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

We’re a 1st place team with a 4th place schedule. I’m not complaining.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote:Well my emotional approach is Playoff run. If disappointed I will go get some Prozac. Or most likely a couple of kegs of beer until the pain subsides.

SuperBowl or bust baby.
Consider me a public servant, aiming to decrease your need and costs for drugs and alcohol. :evilgrin:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:It's easy to ask the question... When's the last time we were 6-3? And get really excited. (And we should be.)

However, who have we beaten?

6 wins, against...
Seahawks (4-5)
Cardinals (2-7)
Bucs (3-6)
Jets (3-7)
Bills (3-7)
Lions (3-6)

3 losses, against...
Packers (4-4-1)
Dolphins (5-5)
Patriots (7-3)

Obviously, we haven't beaten anyone who is .500 or better. And we get the Vikings (5-3-1) this week with only 3 sub-.500 opponents in our final 7 games. If we continue to follow the trend, that puts us 9-7 at season's end.

Interesting observation.
That hadn't registered with me.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

I don’t understand why fans feel the need to explain away success. Is it so it doesn’t sting so bad if the rug gets yanked out from under you?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I don’t understand why fans feel the need to explain away success. Is it so it doesn’t sting so bad if the rug gets yanked out from under you?
Doesn't that seem like a pretty rational defense mechanism for a fan of the Chicago Bears? :-P
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

For what's it's worth, they flexed the game to Sunday night this week. Think someone in the NFL thinks the Bears have some potential.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

allow me complete your subject my way
Mikefive wrote:We're now 6-3, but.........

..... we have 7 games to go so nothing is a given

4 of the games left are against division opponents which I believe will be the most important in determining the Bears fate

I am confident 10-6 or better will be the end regular season result
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Pagan
MVP

I appreciate your slant here Mike, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

There's a TON of anti~Bears, anti~Trubiski media sewage out there because, unfortunately, humans love them some drama.
We're living in a post~Jerry Springer/tabloid society & quite frankly... the Bears have been bad for a # of years. So some of the level of doubt is certainly expected/warrented.

This is the heart of the whole Grossman/Orton.. Pro/Anti~Cutler debates.
A tendency to knee~jerk react.
Whether it's toward defending hope & optimism or critical realism.

Balance, and in general, is always a work in progress.

My advice is to Hope for the absolute best & expect the rational result.

The Bears are currently 6~3... This current record SHOULD (realistically) be better than what was expected before the 1st game of the season.
All media prediction had the Bears season an average of around 6~12.

I'm betting, as this team's Best fans, we could look back and average our (obviously biased) season predictions at 8~8 or 9~7.

Things have looked MUCH better than previously anticipated... so yeah, our expectations/hope for this season is now obviously better than an 8~8 season!

Every year 1 team goes from worst to 1st..why NOT our Bears?

Let's continue to enjoy the ride.. get crazy & have Super Bowl dreams. Get (momentarily) caught up in the excitement!
At the same time though... remember that you're not a 1 year wonder fan. This young team WAS recently built & built to win More than 1 year.
We're ULTIMATELY still looking for growth & improvement THIS year = everything else that happens this year is a bonus :)
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:I appreciate your slant here Mike, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

There's a TON of anti~Bears, anti~Trubiski media sewage out there because, unfortunately, humans love them some drama.
We're living in a post~Jerry Springer/tabloid society & quite frankly... the Bears have been bad for a # of years. So some of the level of doubt is certainly expected/warrented.

The Bears are currently 6~3... This current record SHOULD (realistically) be better than what was expected before the 1st game of the season.

I'm betting, as this team's Best fans, we could look back and average our (obviously biased) season predictions at 8~8 or 9~7.

Things have looked MUCH better than previously anticipated... so yeah, our expectations/hope for this season is now obviously better than an 8~8 season!

Let's continue to enjoy the ride.. get crazy & have Super Bowl dreams. Get (momentarily) caught up in the excitement!
At the same time though... remember that you're not a 1 year wonder fan. This young team WAS recently built & built to win More than 1 year.
We're ULTIMATELY still looking for growth & improvement THIS year = everything else that happens this year is a bonus :)
Actually, post-Mack trade, the average prediction here was 9-10 wins, leaning toward 10 IIRC.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:I'm betting, as this team's Best fans, we could look back and average our (obviously biased) season predictions at 8~8 or 9~7.
mine was 10-6 (which you can look up), which I am sticking with ... but now leaning towards 11-5 :toast:

so screw all the negative nancy's :-P
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I don't even think the Vikings are very good. I think we've played some bad teams and some average teams. The only good teams in the league are Saints, Chiefs, and Rams and we're only playing one of them before the playoffs so basically no matter what happens this season our record is "suspect" or something?

We have a good offense, a great defense, and bad special teams. 6-3 is about right
xyt in the discord chats
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears are 3 point favorites at home.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:Bears are 3 point favorites at home.
Meaning Vegas sees the two teams about even, as home is usually good for +3.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Middleguard
MVP

thunderspirit wrote:
Mikefive wrote:Bears are 3 point favorites at home.
Meaning Vegas sees the two teams about even, as home is usually good for +3.
Meaning Chicagoans have more money to waste than Minnesotans.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I would expect the line to move towards even by game time.

MN, as much as I hate them, have a lot of talent. Their downfall is their offensive line. Good defense, good receivers.

Could be a tough game.
docc
Head Coach

Will be a tough game..but competitive..
Should be fun Sunday night..

We got us a TEAM now..
JMHJD2017
Rookie

6-3

I damn good! :D

We got defensive ends for days baby! Were gonna be very competitive. The Linebacker crew is gud too
Pagan
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
Pagan wrote:I appreciate your slant here Mike, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

Actually, post-Mack trade, the average prediction here was 9-10 wins, leaning toward 10 IIRC.
You're probably correct on that, but I I may have underestimated the mean of our predictions.

Either way.. it still speaks to my point AND why I Love our little slice of Chicago Bears heaven!

Most of the members here can ultimately make independent, logic based evaluations... all while still being admittedly biased with the love of this team :)
Umbali
MVP

So heres the thing for me. I will be really pissed if we lose the Vikings game. If at the start of the season you told me we would be a wildcard team I would have been very happy. NOW tho, I want the DIVISION!
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Knuckles
Player of the Month

docc wrote:Will be a tough game..but competitive..
Should be fun Sunday night..

We got us a TEAM now..
Agree but man it's so hard to not fall into the normal Bear fan mode thinking that we will blow it somehow. It's been like that for so long I forgot what it felt like to be confident in the Bears LOL. I mean hell I was 16 the last time I felt confident and pride in the Bears... I'm 48 now :(

Well, it feels good to actually want to watch the games instead of just watching them because it's the Bears.

I think they have a legit chance to win out with exception to the Rams game which I believe will be a close game but maybe next year will be the time we can be at that level.

It's a good time to be a Bear fan.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
docc
Head Coach

I never make predictions..just don't feel I know how..

But this..Bears are 6-3..
Probably 10-6 gets in.. Can this team win 4 of the next 7..

We'll see..it will be fun..this is not a one shot deal..we are seeing a team being built..
Not the haphazard patching..minimum expectations of "keeping it close" ..

Now I see a team attacking and planning to attack..and it's about time..