This Defense! How good are they?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

We all remember the defense from 2006. The one that the Bears rode all the way to the Super Bowl. A Bears defense with Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, Harris, Brown.

I think this defense will be even better. This may go down as a historically good defense in the NFL.

Here are some stats, halfway through the season;

-The Bears are 6-0 this season when holding opponents under 24 points.

Defensively, the Bears are:

No. 1 in the NFL with +13 TO margin
No. 1 in the NFL with 16 interceptions
No. 1 in the NFL with 89 points off takeaways
No. 1 in the NFL in fewest plays allowed of 10+ yards
No. 2 in the NFL with 24 total takeaways
No. 2 in the NFL with 14 forced fumbles
No. 2 in the NFL with 84.0 rush yards allowed per game
No. 4 in the NFL with 19.4 ppg allowed
No. 4 in the NFL with 319.6 ypg allowed
No. 5 in the NFL with 30 QB sacks

Anyone who says that the Bears haven't played anyone yet is fooling themselves. They have played plenty of good teams, and shut them all down. They shut down the Patriots, if not for two ST mistakes that was a win.

The real question is. HOW GOOD CAN THEY GET? What do they need to do to take yet another step forward?
Nanky
Journeyman

People forget that Tampa was the #1 offense in the NFL when they played the Bears.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Nanky wrote:People forget that Tampa was the #1 offense in the NFL when they played the Bears.
That's true. They were balling out with Fitzpatrick, and then hit a wall with the Bears. Forgot about that.
Umbali
MVP

Historically it will be had for them to rank as one of the greatest simply due to the offensive changes in the game.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:We all remember the defense from 2006. The one that the Bears rode all the way to the Super Bowl. A Bears defense with Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, Harris, Brown.

I think this defense will be even better. This may go down as a historically good defense in the NFL.

Anyone who says that the Bears haven't played anyone yet is fooling themselves. They have played plenty of good teams, and shut them all down. They shut down the Patriots, if not for two ST mistakes that was a win.

The real question is. HOW GOOD CAN THEY GET? What do they need to do to take yet another step forward?
I need to see more production from linebackers not named Khalil, Roquan and Travathan. One of my hopes this year after drafting Roquan and then ESPECIALLY after trading for Mack was that the second or third tier starters would explode upwards. I'm dumbfounded that Floyd hasn't had a monster year. Same with Bullard. If it stays like this I don't see the need for them on this roster. Fangio is the DC, the offense is dominant, we have LT 2.0 with Mack, what's the excuse for not having a huge year?

Fuller has really impressed me this year. Same with Prince. Nichols has serious potential. It wouldn't surprise me to see him in a Pro Bowl one of these years. He needs more snaps. I know its one play and I know this is a quasi-meatball comment, but I won't forget his play against TB for a long time.

Our two rookies, Roquan and Bilal, have been amazing as rookies. I don't see how somebody couldn't be happy with them.
EricTighe
MVP

Were damn good not to mention.

Callahan the best nickel corner in the game.
Jackson has missed some tackles and they have been shown everywhere. But he is definitely playing like a top Safety.
Hicks, some say he is having a down year. All I see is him collapsing the pocket all day long. Maybe doesn't come up statistically but he is definitely putting the pressure up the middle.
Goldman- See above and he is coming along very nicely.

This is a fun bunch to watch. Watching their swagger on Sunday was very nice. Now we just need to keep them fresher for the end of the game.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote:Were damn good not to mention.

Jackson has missed some tackles and they have been shown everywhere. But he is definitely playing like a top Safety.
Hicks, some say he is having a down year. All I see is him collapsing the pocket all day long. Maybe doesn't come up statistically but he is definitely putting the pressure up the middle.

This is a fun bunch to watch. Watching their swagger on Sunday was very nice. Now we just need to keep them fresher for the end of the game.
I think Jackson is the top rated safety in the game right now. Is that right? I don't have access to PFF.
EricTighe
MVP

Thats what my son says but I didn't look it up
GSH
MVP

fuller, callahan and prince are all lighting it up back there
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
EricTighe wrote:Were damn good not to mention.

I think Jackson is the top rated safety in the game right now. Is that right? I don't have access to PFF.
They flashed the PFF rankings during the game and yes he was number 1.
G08
Hall of Famer

MoFugger has been awwwwfully quiet with his Vic Fangio sucks rhetoric!
Last edited by G08 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:MoFugger has been awwwwfully quiet with his Viv Fangio sucks rhetoric!
Haha! That's the truth.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:We all remember the defense from 2006. The one that the Bears rode all the way to the Super Bowl. A Bears defense with Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, Harris, Brown.

it is pretty scary to think how much better they will be when the new guys get their first year as a unit under their belts

they aren't perfect by any means, but they are damn good ... and a lot of fun to watch

well, fun if you're a Bears fan :D
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I'm loving this:
Sun Times

Did Peanut teach his punch?

Charles Tillman, the former cornerback and creator of the “Peanut Punch,” talked to the Bears defense about his specialty on Thursday.

“You could kind of guess if you bring in Peanut Tillman to the defensive team meeting — Yeah, it’s all about turnovers and getting after the ball,” Mack said. “So that’s going to be very important for us this week.”
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:I'm loving this:
Sun Times

Charles Tillman, the former cornerback and creator of the “Peanut Punch,” talked to the Bears defense about his specialty on Thursday.

“You could kind of guess if you bring in Peanut Tillman to the defensive team meeting — Yeah, it’s all about turnovers and getting after the ball,” Mack said. “So that’s going to be very important for us this week.”
That is awesome to hear. Maybe im just being a meatball, but id love to see them hire Peanut on as a defensive coach. Always liked the way he played the game, and I think he has the personality to be a great teacher.
EricTighe
MVP

HurricaneBear wrote:
HisRoyalSweetness wrote:I'm loving this:
Sun Times

That is awesome to hear. Maybe im just being a meatball, but id love to see them hire Peanut on as a defensive coach. Always liked the way he played the game, and I think he has the personality to be a great teacher.
I'm on board with that
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I think the FBI might have other plans for Special Agent Charles Tillman, at least for a while. ;)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Bears shut down two very good receivers tonight. They had three takeaways, including a pick six. They gave up 22 RUCHING YARDS...that's it.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

We beat the Vikings and I'm happy. We pounded them for three quarters. If we beat them 42 to 13 like we should've or 25 to 20 like we did, it still counts as 1 win.

That being said....

We have to stop taking our foot off the gas in the second half and just pound the shit out of people. The clock management strategy is going to bite us in the ass big time one of these days.

Yet with that strategy we're winning which makes it hard to complain.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:We beat the Vikings and I'm happy. We pounded them for three quarters. If we beat them 42 to 13 like we should've or 25 to 20 like we did, it still counts as 1 win.

That being said....

We have to stop taking our foot off the gas in the second half and just pound the shit out of people. The clock management strategy is going to bite us in the ass big time one of these days.

Yet with that strategy we're winning which makes it hard to complain.
I think it was a result of Nagy understanding that they weren't going to be able to do what they wanted to on offense, and making the best with what they had. I also think that Robinson got nicked up on that first catch, and was a non factor the rest of the game. It was a slugfest, no doubt. Two good defenses trading punches.