Going for 2 after the Jackson pick 6

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I was beside myself when they went for 2 with the score 20-6. I mean screaming at the TV... No! No! NO! NO! Why in Hades would you go for 2 in that situation??? From where I'm sitting right now, that looks like the dumbest game day move by Nagy to this point. You go from kicking an extra point (90%) and making them make a 2 pointer (30%)at least once to tie... to if you miss the 2 pointer (70%) you give them the chance to tie with 2 extra points.

Can someone explain this to me?

I know they made it. But why would you play those kind of odds? They went for 2 earlier because they didn't want the review of Miller's catch. It's not like they didn't want Parkey to kick it, since they did have him kick in other situations.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Because the guy has huge balls.
LacertineForest
MVP

All I can think of is that Nagy must have *really* liked their red zone work during the last week of practice and had a very high degree of confidence they could pull it off. In the end, it worked out a lot better than it did for Chico in Carolina (although the receiver was open - Cam just missed him).

Given the confusion surrounding the 4th and 4 instead where Parkey ultimately kicked that 48-yarder, I think Nagy was considering going for it there, too, but ultimately decided against it.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:I was beside myself when they went for 2 with the score 20-6. I mean screaming at the TV... No! No! NO! NO! Why in Hades would you go for 2 in that situation??? From where I'm sitting right now, that looks like the dumbest game day move by Nagy to this point. You go from kicking an extra point (90%) and making them make a 2 pointer (30%)at least once to tie... to if you miss the 2 pointer (70%) you give them the chance to tie with 2 extra points.

I know they made it. But why would you play those kind of odds? They went for 2 earlier because they didn't want the review of Miller's catch. It's not like they didn't want Parkey to kick it, since they did have him kick in other situations.
2pt conversion rate is something around 45%. Extra point is at 95-97%. Close enough percentage-wise that its not a slam dunk decision.

I think there were multiple reasons you go for two in that situation:

1. You have faith in your defense to stop at least one of Minnesota's two point tries.

2. Minnesota's defense was on the bench and you call them back out to try and stop the 2pt conversion. I'm sure Nagy believed thats in the offenses favor.

3. He really like the chances of a jump ball to Shaheen with single coverage.

Considering this Bears offense/defense compared to ST's - I think Nagy should be going to for 2 more often. I'm loathe to agree with anything Collinsworth says - but considering the success rate - the smart play is to go for the 2 more often. Throw the damn chart away - its a new NFL.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
WagonForce
MVP

I'm seeing a trend in the modern NFL where the rules have become so favorable towards the offense, and the continuing overemphasis of the passing game (leading to the ability to march down the field with very little taken off the clock), that more and more the way to secure a win is to shank the other team before they do the same to you.

Too many teams like the Pack or the Patriots can be trailing, within one score, less than 2 minutes on the clock, but they have the ball, and it's like they're favored to win. I would be interested to see the numbers and wouldn't be surprised if those teams were actually favored to win in those situations.

One way to try and combat the above is to maintain an aggressive posture throughout the game, including taking risks to widen the deficit. I'll admit I was pretty confused when Nagy sent out the offense to go for 2 after the defensive touchdown, and while I was happy as can be when they were successful, I was wondering how I might have reacted if the team had failed to score.

At this point I'm coming around to the belief that I want the Bears to be aggressive, even knowing that there will be moments when taking the risk backfires.
EricTighe
MVP

Plus Nagy made a comment about if you ask every coach in the NFL if you would go for 1 or 2, he said, he would raise his hand for 2.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He said in presser he is aggressive and he thought they had a nice package that they had been working on and had success with. Video below:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/video ... n-approach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:I was beside myself when they went for 2 with the score 20-6. I mean screaming at the TV... No! No! NO! NO! Why in Hades would you go for 2 in that situation??? From where I'm sitting right now, that looks like the dumbest game day move by Nagy to this point. You go from kicking an extra point (90%) and making them make a 2 pointer (30%)at least once to tie... to if you miss the 2 pointer (70%) you give them the chance to tie with 2 extra points.

22-6 makes it a tie game if the Vikings follow up with two TDs and two 2 point conversions. Nagy essentially locked in a tie game going deep into the fourth quarter that way. Say that we didn't get it and it was 20-6 and the Vikings follow up with two eight point scores. Now its 20-22 Vikings. We can still take the lead with a FG.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Nagy has some sort of scorecard with point combinations and playing time left that he's figured out telling him to go for 1 or 2 in a given situation.

Brilliant move if you ask me.
MoFugger
Head Coach

In that two-point conversion they had Hicks split out wide.
last week, after a turnover, they had Callahan and some other defensive player on the field for a play that didn't get run because of a timeout.

this is defense is playing out of their minds for their head coach, and he is giving them props. We have had coaches that preach teamwork. Nagy is preaching family.

Nagy has balls, and he's going to continue to show them. if you don't have the heart for it, the Bills are looking for fans.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

This is technically not true: "They went for 2 earlier because they didn't want the review of Miller's catch."

Every scoring play is reviewed, so the TD was confirmed before they went for the 2 point conversion. I think Nagy had his mind made up to go for 2 in that situation.
Never Die Easy
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:

22-6 makes it a tie game if the Vikings follow up with two TDs and two 2 point conversions. Nagy essentially locked in a tie game going deep into the fourth quarter that way. Say that we didn't get it and it was 20-6 and the Vikings follow up with two eight point scores. Now its 20-22 Vikings. We can still take the lead with a FG.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Nagy has some sort of scorecard with point combinations and playing time left that he's figured out telling him to go for 1 or 2 in a given situation.

Brilliant move if you ask me.
How brilliant would it had looked if Shaheen--who hasn't caught a pass in a game since TC--had not made the catch? Then he would've been destroyed here and by every media member alive for such a foolish decision that gave Minnesota such a makeable opportunity to take the game to OT.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I think it was a confidence move for Mitch. After the second half kickoff, the Bears punted, then had back-to-back turnovers, leading to the Vikes back-to-back field goals, and then punted again. So after Eddie scored, I think Swaggy wanted to put the ball back in Mitch's hands.
Pagan
MVP

/c:
ready.

dlaod "Nonsense post/reply"
?syntax error
searching for *commonsense*
? syntax error
ready.
/run: unrequested advice
load: sarcasm/metaphor/less painful/
list
01 <See topic>: "Hindsight & The Fans Who Use It To Appear Knowledgeable".
02 <Other topics include>: "Almost Interceptions", "Cute Play Calls", "My Ignorant Opinion Trumps Yours!"

switch control port
01 8,1
calibrate critical thinking
searching for *understanding*
service not present error
file not found error
formula too complex
ready.

skamanfrank
Journeyman

Pagan wrote:/c:
ready.

?syntax error
? syntax error
ready.
list
02 <Other topics include>: "Almost Interceptions", "Cute Play Calls", "My Ignorant Opinion Trumps Yours!"

switch control port
01 8,1
file not found error
formula too complex
ready.

:applaud: :applaud: :rofl: :rofl:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

ready.

?syntax error
? syntax error
ready.
list

switch control port
01 8,1
file not found error
formula too complex
ready.

:thumbsup:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
thunderspirit
Head Coach

ready.

?syntax error
? syntax error
ready.
list

switch control port
01 8,1
file not found error
formula too complex
ready.

Okay, now that's funny. :toast:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
docc
Head Coach

Nagy..
Mr Castanga..

Guys is a fighter..and he has Fangio..to do the dirty deeds..
Umbali
MVP

ready.

?syntax error
? syntax error
ready.
list

switch control port
01 8,1
file not found error
formula too complex
ready.

That may be the funniest thing I have ever seen on a message board. Accurate as well.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

ready.

?syntax error
? syntax error
ready.
list

switch control port
01 8,1
file not found error
formula too complex
ready.

Damn clever. +1
G08
Hall of Famer

Is there some sort of nerd fest going on that I am missing :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Pagan
MVP

lol.. yeah I'm glad to see that I'm not the only old school nerd on the board.
Honestly wasn't expecting many to get it.

This place is always full of surprises :)