Trubisky shoulder injury // Rolling thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Bitch of it is that this is a division game, and not one to be taken lightly. The Lions are fighting for their lives and the Bears on the road haven't shown they're exactly a force.

I don't doubt Daniel would be alright, but if Trubisky can go, you play him.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

We have an elite defense.

We have an elite offense with Biscuit and I would imagine a very above average offense with Daniels. One thing to account for is if they have to modify the playbook at all with Daniels, but with his familiarity with the offense and the sheer amount of reps he got in the preseason it shouldn't be toned down all that much.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Watching the highlights from the preseason Chiefs game, Daniels is OK, but certainly not dynamic. His throws are wobbly and without much pace behind them. He threw to the check down a lot, and is NOT what I would call fast on a scramble. If Daniels has to go on Thursday, it will be up to the defense to make the separation from the Lions.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

This is why you pay Chase Daniels all that money. Come in on the road and win the game for your team. Our defence is so good that all you have to is now screw up..it’s that simple.
Have a great day
wab
Mod

Why is it a forgone conclusion that Daniels is starting?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

People like to expect the worst. Trubs should play if he can throw. Team needs to maintain consistency. Lions are not a pushover.
GSH
MVP

wab wrote:Why is it a forgone conclusion that Daniels is starting?
he's been in that kansas offence for a minute and he doesnt totally suck as far as backups go. With this game being divisional but not as tough as the upcoming games ( even the giants are coming off a win ), id be down to rest mitch thinking that we are going to play more upcoming games than the rest of the north.

If he plays mitch and the injury gets aggravated, we are gonna all go batshit. the feeling around this team is they take precautionary measures to look after guys and we still plan a game that wins.

LETS GO CHASE.
G08
Hall of Famer

Brad Biggs wrote:The Bears are preparing as if they will be without Trubisky in Detroit, though he is fighting to play, sources said.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Why is it a forgone conclusion that Daniels is starting?
Because Kahlil Mack could have played in 2 games, but was held out against weaker opponents. The Lions are a bit better opponent than those and it is a division game. But if your plan is to have Biscuit healthy down the stretch, a way to help make that happen is to give him this week off.

It's arguable.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote:you'd expect Bray to be activated and get some prac reps if chase was gonna be starting.
Bray can get reps no matter what his roster status is today or tomorrow. That's a major part of what a PS is there for.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Funkster
MVP

He’s the franchise QB, they have to let him show some toughness and grit. Could you imagine Favre, Manning, Brady, Rivers or Rodgers sitting out a game over some shoulder soreness? I’m not buying any of this, my bet is this is just coaching head games to throw in some confusion in a short week.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:He’s the franchise QB, they have to let him show some toughness and grit. Could you imagine Favre, Manning, Brady, Rivers or Rodgers sitting out a game over some shoulder soreness? I’m not buying any of this, my bet is this is just coaching head games to throw in some confusion in a short week.
It's all speculative since none of us know the severity of the injury. One reporter says the Bears are optimistic, another orthopedic surgeon said he's doubtful Trubisky plays.

GSH
MVP

G08 wrote:
Funkster wrote:He’s the franchise QB, they have to let him show some toughness and grit. Could you imagine Favre, Manning, Brady, Rivers or Rodgers sitting out a game over some shoulder soreness? I’m not buying any of this, my bet is this is just coaching head games to throw in some confusion in a short week.
It's all speculative since none of us know the severity of the injury. One reporter says the Bears are optimistic, another orthopedic surgeon said he's doubtful Trubisky plays.
im gonna go with the surgeon over the reporter in this case :-P
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
Biggs is reporting Tru is fighting to play through his shoulder injury. I’m pumped to hear that. I’m hoping they let him. This team needs toughness, what better player than your QB?
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote:
G08 wrote:
im gonna go with the surgeon over the reporter in this case :-P
And this orthopedic is making his diagnosis how? From watching the game?

Franchise QBs play thru pain and some injuries, Trubs is gotta play.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Where did you hear the comments from a surgeon? Does he work for the Bears and/or with Mitch? Nothing like that surgeon commet has come across on the app(great for news/pressers/interviews btw for those who don't have it yet). I'd like to read/listen to it if you have a link?

The only official comments i've heard are from Nagy. Nagy was "cautiously optimistic and hoping Mitch would play." He also said "we are treating it like Mack and Arob, day to day." When asked about it needing surgery, Nagy quickly and definitively said "no. No surgery." My impression was Mitch will play, but Nagy did leave enough doubt in my head that Mitch won't, especially with the Mack/Arob comment.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:
Biggs is reporting Tru is fighting to play through his shoulder injury. I’m pumped to hear that. I’m hoping they let him. This team needs toughness, what better player than your QB?
No. This team needs a healthy franchise QB. If you can rest him against the flailing Lions, much like resting Mack against the Bills and Jets. You do it. I would rather have a healthy Mitch vs. the Rams, than one that is injured and "displaying toughness."
dplank
Hall of Famer

Nothing matters but beating the Lions. If Mitch is in any way degraded throwing the ball, play Daniel. I have a lot of confidence in Daniel, he is a vet and has been in this offense for a long time. It's a 'system' offense, so that experience is invaluable. But if Mitch is "gutting one out" and can't really deliver a good ball, that's not good for the team.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

If Trubs is not going to play, he probably will not dress. Bray will have to be activated, who gets dropped? Roster moves have to be made.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:If Trubs is not going to play, he probably will not dress. Bray will have to be activated, who gets dropped? Roster moves have to be made.
Send Mizzell back to the PS
G08
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote:
G08 wrote:
Where did you hear the comments from a surgeon? Does he work for the Bears and/or with Mitch? Nothing like that surgeon commet has come across on the app(great for news/pressers/interviews btw for those who don't have it yet). I'd like to read/listen to it if you have a link?

The only official comments i've heard are from Nagy. Nagy was "cautiously optimistic and hoping Mitch would play." He also said "we are treating it like Mack and Arob, day to day." When asked about it needing surgery, Nagy quickly and definitively said "no. No surgery." My impression was Mitch will play, but Nagy did leave enough doubt in my head that Mitch won't, especially with the Mack/Arob comment.
Dr. Chao (Former NFL head team doc 17+years Practicing orthopedic surgeon)

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
HurricaneBear wrote:
G08 wrote:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks!

So he has no insider info and is basing his assessment off video and nagy’s comments? It’s great for writing an article but you can’t do a true assessment of an injury based off a short video clip. I work with soft tissue injuries on a daily basis, without performing at least some orthopedic assessment tests you really don’t know too much. So he could be right, but he just as easily could be wrong. Here’s to hoping he is wrong. So we are still at square one and only have Nagy’s comments to go off of.
Funkster
MVP

HurricaneBear wrote:
G08 wrote:
HurricaneBear wrote:
G08 wrote:

Thanks!

So he has no insider info and is basing his assessment off video and nagy’s comments? It’s great for writing an article but you can’t do a true assessment of an injury based off a short video clip. I work with soft tissue injuries on a daily basis, without performing at least some orthopedic assessment tests you really don’t know too much. So he could be right, but he just as easily could be wrong. Here’s to hoping he is wrong. So we are still at square one and only have Nagy’s comments to go off of.

He’s actually very accurate. If no surgery is needed or the bears aren’t worried Dr. Chao’s guess of stretching of the capsule/labrum or pinching/bruising of the rotator cuff sounds pretty spot on. This isn’t an injury that could worsened with playing. IMO, it’s bears staff being VERY cautious. If he thinks he can play, you gotta let the kid try.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

whenever I hear something about "well, you can't hurt it more by playing", I think back on Jim Miller and his shoulder woes and how the Bears crack medical staff at the time said the same thing and ended up ruining his career

so if there is any question, I want Trubisky to sit, preferably in street clothes so there is no temptation to toss him in there
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Trubisky officially listed as doubtful for tomorrow.

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:
HurricaneBear wrote:
G08 wrote:
HurricaneBear wrote:
G08 wrote:

Thanks!

He’s actually very accurate. If no surgery is needed or the bears aren’t worried Dr. Chao’s guess of stretching of the capsule/labrum or pinching/bruising of the rotator cuff sounds pretty spot on. This isn’t an injury that could worsened with playing. IMO, it’s bears staff being VERY cautious. If he thinks he can play, you gotta let the kid try.
I’m not saying he’s wrong or right. What I am saying is that without access to the patient or the test results, I personally put very little stock into what he(or anyone else without that info for that matter) says. There’s reasons why certain tests are done before diagnosing an injury and he has not performed them.

I should have been clearer and I apologize for that. For me we are still at square one and only have Nagy’s comments to go off of. You guys can chose to believe or not believe him as you see fit.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
2m2 minutes ago
More
Mitchell Trubisky woke up sore today and with less movement in his shoulder than expected, making it likely Chase Daniel will start Thanksgiving Day vs Lions, per source. Bears could activate QB Tyler Bray today to backup Daniel, with possibility that Trubisky now will not dress.

G08
Hall of Famer

I'm fine with it... he ostensibly gets 2 bye weeks (13 full days) between NFL games in which he plays, and all it "costs him" is one game against the Lions.

Bad Flanders
MVP

Boris13c wrote:whenever I hear something about "well, you can't hurt it more by playing", I think back on Jim Miller and his shoulder woes and how the Bears crack medical staff at the time said the same thing and ended up ruining his career

so if there is any question, I want Trubisky to sit, preferably in street clothes so there is no temptation to toss him in there
Miller and, by many accounts, McNown's shoulder was mishandled from the get go back then too.

tough-guy-iron-man-football-guys sells articles but it's not the reality, more now than ever. If docs say let him sit, then let him sit, even if it means a loss. One loss now is a heck of a lot better than destroying years of potential wins.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
2m2 minutes ago
More
Mitchell Trubisky woke up sore today and with less movement in his shoulder than expected, making it likely Chase Daniel will start Thanksgiving Day vs Lions, per source. Bears could activate QB Tyler Bray today to backup Daniel, with possibility that Trubisky now will not dress.
If his source is correct that is discouraging to hear. And still leaves us where Nagy said, we are day to day. Let's hope he wakes up feeling better tomorrow.

Question to you, and other's with this view. Why do you see the Lions as such an easy game? On any given week they can hang with anyone. If Stafford is on this game will be very tough even if Mitch plays, let alone with an unknown like Daniels. It is in Detroit and they are coming off a big win and battling for their season. What are you seeing that makes you so confident? I for one am very nervous about this game. Help me out here if you can please with some hope.