What Do You Think of Coach Nagy’s Use of Mizzell?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Z Bear wrote:How many times has he been hit behind the line of scrimmage this year? That is not on the RB.
It kinda is though, because he's slow to anticipate the RPO. When the Bears have favorable blocking and Mitch hands the ball to Howard, he's just not hitting the holes (seeing the holes?) fast enough. Howard is used to getting the handoff and getting to a running lane.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think we're seeing more Mizzell because the PR/KR has been shit, Cunningham got hurt in the Lions game, and because the running game in general has been struggling. It could be that he likes Mizzell or it could be that he's the last option.

As for the Howard stuff, I'm still thinking that there's no point in worrying about it because he's so inexpensive. So what if he gets only a few carries? I guess we start talking about "he doesn't contribute on special teams"?
xyt in the discord chats
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I have absolutely no problems, issues or questions on how Coach Nagy chooses to use his roster
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:I have absolutely no problems, issues or questions on how Coach Nagy chooses to use his roster
C'mon Boris...you can find something to complain about. You usually do... :taunt:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I have absolutely no problems, issues or questions on how Coach Nagy chooses to use his roster
C'mon Boris...you can find something to complain about. You usually do... :taunt:

every complaint I had at the beginning of the season, I have watched the Bears get better at ... and while it wasn't a direct improvement to my specific complaint of the time, it was always a step in the right direction ... sometimes big, sometimes small, but a step in the right direction

it is so refreshing to actually witness a team being rebuilt and reborn into success right before my eyes, and I am so damn appreciative of it, that no, I have no complaints with how this team is being run nor with the results we are witnessing

and I am really pleased my pre-season prediction of a 10-6 Bears team may have actually been conservative :toast:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

every complaint I had at the beginning of the season, I have watched the Bears get better at ... and while it wasn't a direct improvement to my specific complaint of the time, it was always a step in the right direction ... sometimes big, sometimes small, but a step in the right direction

it is so refreshing to actually witness a team being rebuilt and reborn into success right before my eyes, and I am so damn appreciative of it, that no, I have no complaints with how this team is being run nor with the results we are witnessing

and I am really pleased my pre-season prediction of a 10-6 Bears team may have actually been conservative :toast:
To your point, we're scoring almost 30 points a game while really only running this offense at full speed for 2.5 quarters per game. We're 8-3. The defense is amazing. I'm ecstatic.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

To your point, we're scoring almost 30 points a game while really only running this offense at full speed for 2.5 quarters per game. We're 8-3. The defense is amazing. I'm ecstatic.
If the Bears can score 30-40 points a game next year, and at the very least, maintain the defense (I think it will get better) they are going to win A LOT of games. Honestly I'm not sure who I would put above the Bears. All of the high-flying offenses this year have a mediocre defense at best.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

If the Bears can score 30-40 points a game next year, and at the very least, maintain the defense (I think it will get better) they are going to win A LOT of games. Honestly I'm not sure who I would put above the Bears. All of the high-flying offenses this year have a mediocre defense at best.
Agreed.

The big thing to watch next year is how does the Bears additional experience in Nagy's system offset the opposing defense having a full year of game film. I think that ends up being a wash and we still put up a ton of points per game.

Next year, losses like the GB and NE ones don't happen. GB was a function of unfamiliarity with the system and road jitters. Kyle Fuller also makes that INT more often than not. Special teams fucked up against NE. We should be 10-1 in the first year of Nagy's system and year 2 of Biscuit's career (really year 1).

Another thing is that we have to be at the point where the free agent who is on the fence between deciding whether to play in Chicago or someplace else leans towards us.
Pagan
MVP

Tons of great responses on this thread & exactly why I see the Bears owning this division for the next 5+ years.

The Bears are already the most obviously complete & talented roster in the division.
They're also the youngest, and the which means that most of the players are still scratching the surface & ascending!

All of this discounting any future offseason moves that Pace will undoubtably make.

We've all had to witness such terrible franchise bungle for so many years, and it can be difficult to see or accept what is obviously before us.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

Pagan wrote:Tons of great responses on this thread & exactly why I see the Bears owning this division for the next 5+ years.

The Bears are already the most obviously complete & talented roster in the division.
They're also the youngest, and the which means that most of the players are still scratching the surface & ascending!

All of this discounting any future offseason moves that Pace will undoubtably make.

We've all had to witness such terrible franchise bungle for so many years, and it can be difficult to see or accept what is obviously before us.
Probably cannot go beyond a few years b/c of how quickly it can all change via draft and fa. But I tend to agree the O should get better and the D should remain the same/similar. Should make for a more competitive team overall.
UOK
Site Admin

These two returns are more than enough to merit a demotion. Fuck right off.
tjs
Journeyman

cut him-not a fan. Rather have Cohen or Gabriel or really anyone return, and never seems to do anything on the ground. Benny cunningham seems a little more explosive.
EricTighe
MVP

Still not happy but think his familiarity with Daniels is why he is playing more. God, I hope am right.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

"familiarity" is a bullshit word in football to try to make you feel better about someone who isn't good enough to start.
EricTighe
MVP

We are 8-4 who are we to say who should start?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mizzell looks to have pretty good hands.
EricTighe
MVP

EricTighe wrote:We are 8-4 who are we to say who should start?
In retrospect, I hate this guy on the field when it costs Howard and Cunningham touches.

I am going to eat these words most likely,
but
CUT HIS ASS!
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I don't like it. Takes touches away from either Howard and Cohen and he's been meh running when he's had the chance. Ok receiver out of backfield but I'd rather have Howard in there.
MoFugger
Head Coach

At this point I would have to say there has to be someone on the practice squad that could help this team better than Mizzell.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Mizzell looks to have pretty good hands.
He's Cohen light. Gonna get touches b/c Cunningham is out. He got 5 touches(2 receptions) it's not like he's really taking anythign away from either guy. Both need rest at times.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Pagan wrote:Tons of great responses on this thread & exactly why I see the Bears owning this division for the next 5+ years.

^ This man all the way!

We look like the youngest and best team in the division and getting to own it for 5+ years (or at least CAN potentially) is awesome. Getting to see the Pack lose on the final years of Rodgers b/c were just better as a whole team is like a gift of karma. Seeing Detroit lose on the same with Stafford brings be joy. Watching the Vikes star D age out and them waste that $ on Cousins not winning the division gives me chills.

As to the OP and the use of Mizzell I am conflicted. I want Howard or Cohen in so when I see Mizzell I wince. However, Benny is older, and if Nagy wants to test out Mizzell to get a good feel of whether he wants him going forwards into next year or if a new 3rd string RB is needed is probably a good thing. To Mizzell's credit he has never had this much action in his career and seems to be getting slightly better each game.

However, I want us to put a waiver claim on Kareem Hunt, and damn the PR. IF Nagy and Pace think they can work with his issues, and even if he has to miss all of 2019, he is literally the perfect RB for Nagy's system. The debate about Howard could be over, and as much as I love Howard, he could move onto a team that wants to run a scheme better suited to him. Then ponder the idea of Defenses trying to deal with Cohen and Hunt on the field with all the other play-makers...and try not to get excited.
wab
Mod

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:

^ This man all the way!

We look like the youngest and best team in the division and getting to own it for 5+ years (or at least CAN potentially) is awesome. Getting to see the Pack lose on the final years of Rodgers b/c were just better as a whole team is like a gift of karma. Seeing Detroit lose on the same with Stafford brings be joy. Watching the Vikes star D age out and them waste that $ on Cousins not winning the division gives me chills.

As to the OP and the use of Mizzell I am conflicted. I want Howard or Cohen in so when I see Mizzell I wince. However, Benny is older, and if Nagy wants to test out Mizzell to get a good feel of whether he wants him going forwards into next year or if a new 3rd string RB is needed is probably a good thing. To Mizzell's credit he has never had this much action in his career and seems to be getting slightly better each game.

However, I want us to put a waiver claim on Kareem Hunt, and damn the PR. IF Nagy and Pace think they can work with his issues, and even if he has to miss all of 2019, he is literally the perfect RB for Nagy's system. The debate about Howard could be over, and as much as I love Howard, he could move onto a team that wants to run a scheme better suited to him. Then ponder the idea of Defenses trying to deal with Cohen and Hunt on the field with all the other play-makers...and try not to get excited.
If the Bears put in a waiver claim on Hunt while Howard, on of the best people in the NFL, languishes on the bench... I will lose respect for the Bears almost immediately.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:
VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:

^ This man all the way!

If the Bears put in a waiver claim on Hunt while Howard, on of the best people in the NFL, languishes on the bench... I will lose respect for the Bears almost immediately.
A thousand times this!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

A lot of executives are stating that Hunt will be playing in the league next year. I'd fucking love to have him here.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:A lot of executives are stating that Hunt will be playing in the league next year. I'd fucking love to have him here.
Let a shittier team deal with the media firestorm and fallout that he will create. It's not worth it to me to try and add that, to what is a REALLY good locker room right now. Besides, dealing with a player like that is not McCaskey's or Pace's MO, in my opinion.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
G08 wrote:A lot of executives are stating that Hunt will be playing in the league next year. I'd fucking love to have him here.
Let a shittier team deal with the media firestorm and fallout that he will create. It's not worth it to me to try and add that, to what is a REALLY good locker room right now. Besides, dealing with a player like that is not McCaskey's or Pace's MO, in my opinion.
Truth... I don't see Ginny signing off on the deal.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Pagan
MVP

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Truth... I don't see Ginny signing off on the deal.
COMPLETELY AGREE.

This is what makes & will CONTINUE to make this newly rebuilt Bears franchise so exciting = They have & will continue to have high moral character as a prerequisite to wagering the Bears uniform.

Right now you've got a young talented team on the rise that's overflowing with leaders/solid human beings that you don't have to cringe at the thought of your children idolizing.

The Chicago Bears do it the right way.

That being said, after seeing the video, I honestly don't know what the circumstances to this altercation are.. he's definitely in the wrong either way & NFL players usually (wisely) have security to handle such things.

After watching very short silenced clips.. I Def would say that there's nothing good about it, it's a terrible look for him... but let's not confuse him with Ray Rice based off of what we've seen & the lack of time to process.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

It wont happen, no way, not after the Ray McDonald fiasco and not w/video evidence. But the best most coherent point I've read about the idea of trying to get him is this. If he's playing in the league next year, do you want him helping you, or a team like GB or another North division?

I personally don't want him, but it's a valid point. It's one thing if, like the 'skins w/Foster, only 1 team looks at him. But chances are multiple teams will look at him. I think I even saw that KC said they hope to have a shot to bring him back if he's done the right things.
mohner1
Practice Squad

It wont happen, no way, not after the Ray McDonald fiasco and not w/video evidence. But the best most coherent point I've read about the idea of trying to get him is this. If he's playing in the league next year, do you want him helping you, or a team like GB or another North division?
If all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you?
“Taylor, we've run out of timeouts. Go in there and get hurt.”
malk
Head Coach

mohner1 wrote:
If all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you?
And if you said jump in the river I would because, it would probably be a good idea.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)