View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:28 pm 
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:
Save for the Bears last game... The Bears have been toward the tops in the league in time of possession.

It's not tradional or what we're used to, but but Nagy has taken the teams current weakness & made it all work out nicely.

For sure, and that's a huge testament to him as a play-caller. My worry is what if we have a playoff home game and it's a blizzard? We can't be running all these motions and complex routes to rely on our offense.

Not trying to be negative, but I just think if we had a run game our offense would be almost unstoppable.

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:08 pm 
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:
Pagan wrote:
Save for the Bears last game... The Bears have been toward the tops in the league in time of possession.

It's not tradional or what we're used to, but but Nagy has taken the teams current weakness & made it all work out nicely.

For sure, and that's a huge testament to him as a play-caller. My worry is what if we have a playoff home game and it's a blizzard? We can't be running all these motions and complex routes to rely on our offense.

Not trying to be negative, but I just think if we had a run game our offense would be almost unstoppable.

I don't disagree with anything you typed. Just asking a couple questions. Keep in mind I really like Jordan Howard.

What's more disruptive? Changing the blocking scheme and potentially personnel to get Howard more productive? Or trading Howard and drafting / signing / trading for an RB that's a more natural fit?

I say we either trade Howard or let him leave during FA and get a replacement.

wab mentioned Duke Johnson and a guy like that is perfect for this offense.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:10 pm 
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:
Pagan wrote:

I don't disagree with anything you typed. Just asking a couple questions. Keep in mind I really like Jordan Howard.

What's more disruptive? Changing the blocking scheme and potentially personnel to get Howard more productive? Or trading Howard and drafting / signing / trading for an RB that's a more natural fit?

Once there was smoke out there that Jordan Howard wasn't a fit for this offense, I was of the opinion the writing was on the wall. I think we'll keep him around for depth, but I'm anticipating that we will look for a RB either in FA or the draft.

If he asked us to release him, and we did it out of decency, he'd cost us something like 63K

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:31 pm 
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
G08 wrote:
Pagan wrote:

Once there was smoke out there that Jordan Howard wasn't a fit for this offense, I was of the opinion the writing was on the wall. I think we'll keep him around for depth, but I'm anticipating that we will look for a RB either in FA or the draft.

If he asked us to release him, and we did it out of decency, he'd cost us something like 63K

I’d say there is a 0.0% chance we release him. At a minimum we can get a mid round pick out of him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:08 pm 
Hall of Famer

At the very least, Howard is saying all of the right things. And it's true. He ran out on the field for the Jackson TD celebration. Maybe the "disgruntled Jordan Howard" is a media creation?

What the old saying about winning...?

Howard - "We're winning, I'm happy."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:07 am 
Journeyman

G08 wrote:
Pagan wrote:

You're not being negative, you're just being correct.

If they had a more successful run game, it would be easier on Trubisky. If we had 2017's run production from Howard, then we are facing heavier fronts, a slightly lower percentage of nickel defenders (both leading to bigger windows and better potential mismatches) OR gnashing them and setting up Trubisky with a lot more 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 situations. That makes the playcalling much easier for Nagy as well. These situations being better also means Trubisky is scrambling less - IE being put in danger of a Smith-like cheapshot again.

Nagy has schemed REALLY well overall after a rough start to the season, but we also can't forget we have the best and most productive defense in the NFL as a crutch too. Offensive alone we are not a top 5 offense IMO, largely because our running game is barely mediocre. I'm not sure why Nagy or HH isn't utilizing more zone looks, you do not need to be exclusive with them. We don't have the same horsepower in the OL as we did when we had Kreutz and Co., but overall we are far more athletic now than we were then. Using Leno as an example, he has improved dramatically, but he isn't folding any DL or pushing them 5 yards deep. But he is mobile enough to stick to almost any DE for a few seconds to potentially open a lane or quick enough to crash down and hit a DT before he can burst through the gap. Why try to force a scheme that doesn't fit? The run game scheme preference doesn't have to cause issues with the passing game, if anything having a solid zone stretch play to rely on only increase RPO and playaction off that play.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:58 am 
Hall of Famer

Sugashane wrote:
I'm not sure why Nagy or HH isn't utilizing more zone looks, you do not need to be exclusive with them.

You don't have to be exclusive with the zone looks, true, but the 'bang for your buck' is much greater when you are. The key with zone blocking is that you make everything look the same to the defense whether it's a run or pass. Watch the Rams on offense, it's fucking beautiful. Ditto the old-school (ugh, I have to call the 90's Broncos old school now) Broncos with Elway and Davis.

Sugashane wrote:
We don't have the same horsepower in the OL as we did when we had Kreutz and Co., but overall we are far more athletic now than we were then. Using Leno as an example, he has improved dramatically, but he isn't folding any DL or pushing them 5 yards deep. But he is mobile enough to stick to almost any DE for a few seconds to potentially open a lane or quick enough to crash down and hit a DT before he can burst through the gap. Why try to force a scheme that doesn't fit? The run game scheme preference doesn't have to cause issues with the passing game, if anything having a solid zone stretch play to rely on only increase RPO and playaction off that play.

There has to be a reason why Nagy and Heistand want to stick with this scheme. It's a different approach and technique for the players. I don't know enough about OL play/blocking scheme continuity and it's fit in an offense's run and pass, especially when considering tipping off plays pre-snap.

Nagy said he's going to use our mini-bye to find ways to make the run game work. I hope he's right!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:28 pm 
Mod

G08 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
I'm not sure why Nagy or HH isn't utilizing more zone looks, you do not need to be exclusive with them.

You don't have to be exclusive with the zone looks, true, but the 'bang for your buck' is much greater when you are. The key with zone blocking is that you make everything look the same to the defense whether it's a run or pass. Watch the Rams on offense, it's fucking beautiful. Ditto the old-school (ugh, I have to call the 90's Broncos old school now) Broncos with Elway and Davis.

Sugashane wrote:
We don't have the same horsepower in the OL as we did when we had Kreutz and Co., but overall we are far more athletic now than we were then. Using Leno as an example, he has improved dramatically, but he isn't folding any DL or pushing them 5 yards deep. But he is mobile enough to stick to almost any DE for a few seconds to potentially open a lane or quick enough to crash down and hit a DT before he can burst through the gap. Why try to force a scheme that doesn't fit? The run game scheme preference doesn't have to cause issues with the passing game, if anything having a solid zone stretch play to rely on only increase RPO and playaction off that play.

There has to be a reason why Nagy and Heistand want to stick with this scheme. It's a different approach and technique for the players. I don't know enough about OL play/blocking scheme continuity and it's fit in an offense's run and pass, especially when considering tipping off plays pre-snap.

Nagy said he's going to use our mini-bye to find ways to make the run game work. I hope he's right!

I don't think Howard is struggling with the blocking scheme. I think he's struggling with the RPO part. He just doesn't seem comfortable with it, so he's hesitating, and that's why the lanes are closing in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:31 pm 
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

Sugashane wrote:

I don't think Howard is struggling with the blocking scheme. I think he's struggling with the RPO part. He just doesn't seem comfortable with it, so he's hesitating, and that's why the lanes are closing in.

He's struggled on straight handoffs too though. The holes he sees either aren't there or they close up extremely quickly. I personally hate that we are sacrificing his -- what I consider to be elite -- vision in a zone blocking scheme. Maybe we'll clean it up, I'll definitely be keeping more of an eye on it moving forward.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:32 pm 
Hall of Famer

dan durkin

Verified account

@djdurkin
30m30 minutes ago
More
Three factors stand out to me as the biggest culprits for the #Bears’ run-game struggles. Two can’t be fixed this year — but does it really matter? Film Study:

Uh... UOK? I know what I want for Christmas :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next