View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Search for:
 Post subject: Fangio
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:43 pm 
Player of the Month

So I keep reading articles stating Fangio could be a hot head coaching option after the season.

Obviously I hope not. That being said I dont agree. I think the league is trending towards offensive and younger coaches. Also Fangio has only ever been interviewed for HC on teams he was already on. ( read it but not 100@ sure its true ).

I would be upset if Fangio left. Now our OC is another story. Not sure what he actually brings to the table now that the offensive system is in place.

Its funny how you can suck for years then as soon as you have success, people vulture your coordinators away. Good teams survive that ( aka The Patriots ) because the success was really because of the head coach. I hope and believe that Nagy is that guy.

But I still dont wanna lose Vic.

Post subject: Re: Fangio
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:59 pm 
Head Coach

He clearly desires a HC position and I pretty much agree with all you said.

I'm reasonably sure that Fangio has had multiple HC interviews and not made the cut. It makes me wonder if he just is a little too direct in his interviews. When he has to answer questions about what he'd do in a bad situation, he might not come across as the most politically correct guy.

Just a guess on my part.

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:04 pm 
Hall of Famer

Does he really have the desire? If I were Pace, I would make him the highest paid DC in the league, and give him a monetary incentive not to go anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:13 pm 
MVP

I think he stays.

Most of the positions will be with young QB's, drafting QB's or have just had a former DC flame out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:16 pm 
Pro Bowler

what do you mean he "clearly desires a hc" gig?

he hates talking to the media or being questioned about his methods.

he built this D from the ground up, gets to revel in all the good stuff without having to face the firing squad media when it goes pear.

We are in a time where the NFL is going more offensive minded and younger at HC than ever before.

I dont see it. Vic stays, probably takes a fatter paycheck to keep him here, but I cant see him going anywhere because if he does ill cry and if theres one thing fangio hates, its crying.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:17 pm 
Hall of Famer

Also. If you've built this juggernaut of a defense. Wouldn't you want to see them win a Super Bowl before you bail? He's got to know his opportunity to do that is right around the corner. If everything goes to plan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:23 pm 
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:

clearly based on what exactly?

anyway, it's interesting, because the bears and the colts both went out and hired hot young offensive minded coaches, and they're both tearing it up. the eagles did the same and won a superbowl. the rams did the same and are serious contenders. if anyone payed attention to the chargers they'd notice that anthony lynn is quitely doing quite well.

and then the titans, cardinals and lions went out and got themselves defensive coordinators for coaches and well, they stink.

the only recent outliers to this are gruden and shurmur, but they're both retreads. you just gotta believe that every team right now is looking for the next hotshot offensive coordinator to hire and not old man fangio no matter how well our defense is doing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:26 pm 
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

clearly based on what exactly?

anyway, it's interesting, because the bears and the colts both went out and hired hot young offensive minded coaches, and they're both tearing it up. the eagles did the same and won a superbowl. the rams did the same and are serious contenders. if anyone payed attention to the chargers they'd notice that anthony lynn is quitely doing quite well.

and then the titans, cardinals and lions went out and got themselves defensive coordinators for coaches and well, they stink.

the only recent outliers to this are gruden and shurmur, but they're both retreads. you just gotta believe that every team right now is looking for the next hotshot offensive coordinator to hire and not old man fangio no matter how well our defense is doing.

To your point. I can guarantee you that Defillipo will get a HC job, before Fangio does.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:48 pm 
Head Coach

yeah, and that's kind of why too the best case scenario, you've got a defensive coach, and things are going well, is kind of a double edged sword. there's a good chance you're going to lose your OC sooner rather than later with as much turnover as the NFL has each season. The Vikes potentially having 3 OC's in 3 years is just a big kick in the nuts for them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:07 pm 
Head Coach

I could see him getting a job, but his path is pretty narrow. He may want to stay here as the defensive HC, or he may want to be the guy. It would be a loss for the Bears, but I think anyone including Mel Tucker could keep this defensive roster in the top 10.