View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:01 am 
Assistant Coach

Thoughts please on whether this dude is just a one year stop gap guy and if he has been effective in the run game. Also, replace Massie in 2019?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:06 am 
Player of the Month

He’s played ok...Once he gets his hands on you guys struggle to separate. He was very slow out of the gate on passing off blocks but he’s improved.

Personally, I think Massie has played very well this year. Heading into next year we have Whitehair, Daniels, and, Leno returning for sure. I think Coward is a guy they view as a future starter, just not sure if it’s at OG or OT. Long could end up a cap casualty next year although I’m not certain about his contract details.

Massies deal is up this offseason, I’d like him back but only if it’s close to what he’s getting now. Maybe a 2 year deal at like 11 million. (He’s only 29)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:15 am 
Player of the Month

Also, I think it should be noted that Pace has Leno locked up through 2021 at a very conservative 9 million per year. When you look at left tackle money, and compare what he’s accomplished and how he’s playing, that’s a steal. To me, that contract is a big reason we were able to get Mack. Having your young LT locked up at that cost allows a lot of flexibility.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:35 am 
Head Coach

At 29 I expect Massie will be looking at how many years/total guarantee rather than maximising the average per year over a shorter period. Wagner bumped up the market last year which is a pain for our cap but I'd hope we can keep hold of Massie without having to increase much, if we want.

Pace needs to be looking at where savings can be made in preparation for Trubisky, we've got two more years on the rookie deal, then it jumps to a little over $20m then we'll be looking down the barrel of $30m per year.

Being able to cut him after a couple of years is definitely some flexibility the team would like!

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:07 am 
Hall of Famer

I brought this up shortly after he started filling in for Long. I think Witzmann has done a really nice job in pass pro, because he knows this offense and knows how to block the pass plays. I think he has been pretty poor in run blocking, which is why they always seem to run the ball to the left. He isn't the road grader that Long was. I think he's the type of player that could be coached up by Heistand and make improvements in that area, but I guarantee you Nagy values his pass blocking more than anything else.

I think the whole line has done a good job this year. Don't know much about Coward, except that he was a former defensive lineman. He has good size. If Massie demands too much, maybe he steps in.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:10 am 
Hall of Famer

He's just a guy. Not sure what the future holds for Long but I won't be surprised if the right side of our line is overhauled next season.

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:42 am 
Mod

He's nothing great. His pass pro is decent, and it's miles better than his run blocking. I'm honestly surprised he's playing over Kush, because Kush...while not overly talented, is a better rounded player. So I wonder if the neck thing is worse than originally thought.

Witzmann is a classic journeyman. He might stick as a swing guy/replacement for Sowell next season, but I don't think he's a long term starter.

As far as Massey goes, he's steady and reliable. He's played pretty well, but they kept Coward on the 53 for a reason.

I'm with G08, I think the right side looks completely different next year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:52 pm 
Head Coach

I see Long staying personally with Coward becoming our RT depending on draft of course.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:16 pm 
MVP

bearsfaninaz wrote:
I see Long staying personally with Coward becoming our RT depending on draft of course.

Yep, Wintzmann is a stopgap that is performing ok which means he hasn't shit the bed.

I see Long staying and Massie will depend on dollars/length. He just seems like a guy that could drop off quickly back to his previous norm.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:44 am 
Practice Squad

He's better then Kush was, and I thought Kush played pretty well last year, both have struggled at run blocking though. Need to find a more reliable backup OG, Long cannot seem to stay healthy, so even if he's the starter next year, need a guy that can step in and play at a higher level then their current backups.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next