Can We Talk About Witzman and the Right Side of the O Line?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

EricTighe
MVP

Very good game by our O\line and nice scheme set up by the coaches.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:I would say they made us eat our words. Helluva game by the entire line and the interior line especially.
They highlighted several solid blocks that Witzmann threw last night, to spring RB's. He was pretty solid last night.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Otis Day wrote:I would say they made us eat our words. Helluva game by the entire line and the interior line especially.
They highlighted several solid blocks that Witzmann threw last night, to spring RB's. He was pretty solid last night.

yes he was, along with the rest of the O-Line

didn't see Donald or Suh running amok like they do on a regular basis
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mikefive wrote:I think you're being pretty harsh, BWN. The guy's point is to look at the tape and point out good and bad. Is he in the Bears locker room? No. And he doesn't claim to be. The reality is that 99+% of fans never review tape. So to be able to look at tape after the fact has SOME value, even if it's not perfect/fully informative. You have to be able to see that.
OK. My comments were a little over the top. I just really dislike crappy analysis. If you're going to analyze something, give me insight I wouldn't otherwise be able to glean myself. Don't tell me what my eyes can already see. That's all.
You're not wrong, that dude talks out of his ass. I forget which video it was but he was bagging on the OL for blocking the wrong guy and Nagy actually had addressed it and said the mistake was on another player.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Pagan
MVP

Not me.

I believe I saw him having a bounce back game. :)

Really glad for it too. I This team NEEDS to continue gelling.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Apparently Long just got the boot off. It’s possible but certainly not a guarantee he’ll play again his season.

https://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/10 ... 09856?s=20
wab
Mod

BR0D1E86 wrote:Apparently Long just got the boot off. It’s possible but certainly not a guarantee he’ll play again his season.

I don't see any need.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:Apparently Long just got the boot off. It’s possible but certainly not a guarantee he’ll play again his season.

I don't see any need.

blocking FB on goal line?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

I don't see any need.
Nothing would make me happier than to see him starting at RG in our first playoff game since 2010 (God-willing). I'm a nostalgic MFer though!

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:

I don't see any need.
Sad to say, there's no real point for him or the team to not give it a bash. If he's staring down the barrel of cuts he might as well see if he can put together some playoff tape and scrape back onto the team.

He's a prime candidate for the pay cuts that never happen. I can't imagine he gets much on the open market, so a $4-5m pay cut in 2019 saves us as much as cutting him and he gets a chance to prove his health on a team and scheme he knows. Crazy it never seems to happen.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

To revive this thread. Witzman played decently against Green Bay this last week. Maybe he responds well to Harry's coaching?

He started off looking bad with us, but has been improving weekly. What do you guys think about think about him as a possible longer term addition with Long's future in some doubt due to constant injury? Of course predicated on Witzman continuing to play well the remaining games.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:To revive this thread. Witzman played decently against Green Bay this last week. Maybe he responds well to Harry's coaching?

He started off looking bad with us, but has been improving weekly. What do you guys think about think about him as a possible longer term addition with Long's future in some doubt due to constant injury? Of course predicated on Witzman continuing to play well the remaining games.
I think it will be interesting to watch. I don't think Massie comes back next year. Everyone has already sort of put Coward in that spot. Long is always an injury waiting to happen, and he needs to start thinking about his long term quality of life. If Nagy can commit to more of a zone run scheme, then maybe he can stick. If he insists on power blocking, then Witzmann will not be the future at that position.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Draft another center. Move whitehair to guard.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

southdakbearfan wrote:Draft another center. Move whitehair to guard.
If we are going to move centers I'd imagine we move Daniels to center and then draft another guard.
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't think Daniels or Whitehair will be going anywhere, fellas.

Massie, if he doesn't want too much $$$ should be back I hope. We can always go younger/cheaper there too.

wab
Mod

I think the Bears first pick is an interior lineman. Witzmann is journeyman. He's played ok, but you can see how having him in there limits the offense. He's a good pass blocker, but he doesn't move well and for his size he's not that strong.

Massie could be back, but Coward seems to be a guy they want to develop.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Ryan Pace has done pretty well drafting interior OL guys in R2.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote:Ryan Pace has done pretty well drafting interior OL guys in R2.
Well he's gonna need to be good at drafting one in R3.
BR0D1E86
MVP

G08 wrote:I don't think Daniels or Whitehair will be going anywhere, fellas.

Massie, if he doesn't want too much $$$ should be back I hope. We can always go younger/cheaper there too.
The tackle free agent market is pretty bare. I imagine somebody is going to overpay him.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:
Historically you can get a good starting G in the 3rd, so we may be fortunate there. I agree it is the largest area of need, so he probably goes there first.
G08
Hall of Famer

I was going to say I like guards in round 4 typically but I haven't even sniffed this draft class yet.

If Massie isn't in our long-term plans I would say we draft the best OT in round 3 and then OG in round 4.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I was going to say I like guards in round 4 typically but I haven't even sniffed this draft class yet.

If Massie isn't in our long-term plans I would say we draft the best OT in round 3 and then OG in round 4.
So far... it's not looking like a great class for OL. But luckily the Bears have the best OL coach in the NFL and a hell of a good scouting department.

It’s early, but just looking at guys that might be available in the lower half of the 3rd…

Outside I like: Isaiah Prince, Tytus Howard, Liam Eichenberg, and Andre Dillard.

Inside I like: Yodny Cajuste, Nate Davis, Robert Hainsey, and Ben Powers.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Forgot about that one... Good call. :ashamed:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
EricTighe
MVP

Ului Lapuaho, OT, BYU Like this kid but major injury risk but worth a flier in round 7.

Other than that I like these guys for the outside.
McGary from Washington.
Dennis Daley from South Carolina
Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State
Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State

I will leave the Norte Dame and Oregon guys alone since we should have better inside info then the rest of the league.

Inside

Nate Herbig*, G, Stanford If he comes out I will start to drool. He is a beast.
Calvin Throckmorton*, G/OT, Oregon started 30 straight games. Thats a plus in itself.
BR0D1E86
MVP

https://twitter.com/danwiederer/status/ ... 14565?s=20

Apparently he hasn’t yet been designated to return, but it could still happen later this week.

I’d like to see him play, because he’s destroyed his body playing for this team and I’d like to see him playing in meaningful games. Plus I think it’s more than possible he’s gone after this season due to the injuries and his healthy contract.

Because of when he went on IR, the earliest he could come back and play is week 17.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think he starts practicing this week, practices next week and plays in the regular season finale, almost as a tune up.

Bearfacts
MVP

Long's 2019 Cap Hit is $8.5 mil but $1.5 mil of that is the non-cash amortized signing bonus. His cash outlay is only $7 mil vs a $3 mil Dead Cap Hit if released. Given his leadership and also what he means to the OL when 100% healthy I'd say there's virtually no chance he'll be released in 2019. He's earned the right to come back and claim his starting spot.

Massie is a bit of a wild card. He's improved greatly as a pass blocker and is now ranked as a top 25 guy by PFF for whatever that's worth. My guess is Pace will allow him to become a UFA and weigh matching his best offer vs going with Coward at RT if HH thinks he's ready to start. I think Heistand's opinion will weigh heavily on what we do here.

Witzmann may just have earned another one year vet minimum offer as a backup at RG. If he can handle some work at OT as well it's probably gonna be between him and Sowell whose signed through 2019 but has a Cap Hit of $1.8 mil vs Witzmann whose cap hit may be 1/3 of that. Given that he and Daniels are starting over Kush I'd say Kush is gone.

So it would appear only the RT and interior backup spots need to be dealt with and I expect Pace will look at addressing those both in FA and the draft and UDFA. We need a few more younger bodies in the development hopper.
KhalilSackDaddy
Practice Squad

EricTighe wrote:Ului Lapuaho, OT, BYU Like this kid but major injury risk but worth a flier in round 7.

McGary from Washington.

I will leave the Norte Dame and Oregon guys alone since we should have better inside info then the rest of the league.

Inside

Calvin Throckmorton*, G/OT, Oregon started 30 straight games. Thats a plus in itself.
It wouldn't be to surprising to see the Bears go 2-3 deep at OL in the draft. There isn't much they need to do on defense, and WR TE and QB are set for awhile. Depending on what they do with Howard maybe RB. It's really OL and a kicker.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

EricTighe wrote:Ului Lapuaho, OT, BYU Like this kid but major injury risk but worth a flier in round 7.

McGary from Washington.

Inside

Garrett Brumfield G out of LSU looks like a decent mauler and I've seen him projected around our pick on a few of the early mocks out there. But it's pretty early to try and project where players might go.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't count on this draft class.