Bears Postseason -- Path to the SB

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

So we know we're in. The Bears clinched the division by beating the shit out of Aaron Rodgers last Sunday. The question now is. How do we get to the Super Bowl? Who are the opponents, and how do we beat them?

I believe that if the season ended today, that the Bears would play the Vikings in the first round, and then move on to the Rams. To be honest, I'm not excited about the Bears facing the Vikings two weeks in a row. Also the promotion of Stefanski seems to have given the Vikings offense some life. Also, their defense is one of the better in the NFC.

Assuming we get past the Vikings, then it's on to the Rams, who are a mere shell of who they were before they came to Soldier Field. Yes we would be playing in LA. But that benefits both teams to a degree. Besides, the Bears have already shown the league how to beat the Rams. Stop Gurley, confuse Goff with last second defensive shifts, and get pressure. If we face the Rams in LA, I think we have a really good shot at beating them.

Then who do we play in the NFC Championship. None other than...the Dallas Cowboys. That's right. I said it. I think that the Cowboys get past the Seahawks, and shock the World in New Orleans. They've already beaten them once. And it was clear last night in Carolina. A good defense has a puncher's chance against these high flying offenses, and the Boys have already beaten the Saints once. I think they can do it again.

That leads to the NFC Championship in Chicago, against the Cowboys. Where the Cowboys are completely out of their element, and come into frigid Soldier Field, just wanting to go home. Bears throttle the Cowboys, and head to the SB for the first time in 13 years.

Book it!
snake95
Journeyman

If the Cowboys face the Saints again I believe the Saints will hang 35-40 pts on them...Our defense IMO is far more rugged than Dallas. I would definitely give us a punchers chance in NOLA if we can get there.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I am barely holding out hope that we somehow steal a bye but in the back of my head I also dread it. We have not played well with time off. So it may be best if we have something to play for week 17, and then also do not get a bye in the first round.

I am with you BWN, I do not want to face the Vikings in the wild card round. I really wanted to face the reeling Panthers but that ship I believe has sailed. I am hoping the Eagles(or better yet the Redskins but thats a longshot IMO) take that last spot. I think we can handle them in Chicago and get our first playoff win behind us. It may not be pretty but the Bears secure the win.

Then on to the Rams and I think we make a statement in that game. The Bears D picks up where they left off and this time Trubisky isn't rusty and has something to prove. And prove it he does with a huge game. This starts the Rams downfall I foresee happening next season as all those "stars" who are actually scumbags(Suh, Talib immediately come to mind) rip apart that locker room.

I see the Seahawks beating the Cowboys(overrated) and going into the Superdome on a mission. I would not be surprised if the Seahawks win but let's say the Saints do handle business and win that game. Because that is what I want. I want this Bears team to go into New Orleans and be the ones to knock off the Saints at home. Everyone I know all season has bleated about the Saints being unbeatable at home and the Bears only chance being getting home field. Everyone in the media seems to be saying the same. I want the Bears to ride the Mack truck right through that bullshit. Kamara and Ingram are a great tandem but are not elite individually imo and will be shut down. Brees will be harrassed all day as Mack proves that HE is the best defensive player in football. Bears win a tough game 20-13.

And in the Superbowl I hope the Chiefs some how make it. The storyline is just too perfect. The Teacher vs the Student with Reid vs Nagy. The QB showdown between Trubisky and Mahommes to prove who is the top QB from their class. The high flying Chiefs vs the defensive juggernaught Bears. And the cherry on top will be the Bears win as the dynasty begins!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote:And in the Superbowl I hope the Chiefs some how make it. The storyline is just too perfect. The Teacher vs the Student with Reid vs Nagy. The QB showdown between Trubisky and Mahommes to prove who is the top QB from their class. The high flying Chiefs vs the defensive juggernaught Bears. And the cherry on top will be the Bears win as the dynasty begins!

that sounds like a wonderful scenario :toast:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote:And in the Superbowl I hope the Chiefs some how make it. The storyline is just too perfect. The Teacher vs the Student with Reid vs Nagy. The QB showdown between Trubisky and Mahommes to prove who is the top QB from their class. The high flying Chiefs vs the defensive juggernaught Bears. And the cherry on top will be the Bears win as the dynasty begins!

Ooooo I like this :toast:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Most of the year, it has looked like the Saints and Rams and everybody else in the NFC. Now it looks like those two have peaked and are vulnerable, with the Bears and Cowboys peaking now. Until the Cowboys laid an egg on Sunday.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
EricTighe
MVP

Saints still the team to beat. Which I believe we match up well against.

FOrget the past you always want a bye in the wildcard game. For two reasons.
1. you get healthier.
2. Homefield advantage. ( I know playing in Chicago in January is easy for everyone)

Hoping beyond hope that either the Rams lose out or the Saints lose out and we win out. WOuld prefer if they both lose out since I heard on Radio we own the tiebreaker against both of them. How sweet would it be to have the playoffs have to come through Chicago?
IotaNet
MVP

snake95 wrote:If the Cowboys face the Saints again I believe the Saints will hang 35-40 pts on them...Our defense IMO is far more rugged than Dallas. I would definitely give us a punchers chance in NOLA if we can get there.
I don't know about that. I watched the game last night and NOLA's offense did not like anything special. That Carolina lost that game means they are not fit to be a playoff team.

Playing in the Superdome would make a huge difference but I personally think that the Saints peaked too soon.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

I just want the Bears to win a playoff game first.
IotaNet
MVP

wab wrote:I just want the Bears to win a playoff game first.
If the Bears won the WC game and put up a valiant fight in the Divisional game, I would consider this a VERY successful season.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm with you here, let's win a game in the post-season first. This is a new experience for damned near everyone on our roster.

britbear
Player of the Month

IotaNet wrote:
If the Bears won the WC game and put up a valiant fight in the Divisional game, I would consider this a VERY successful season.
I'd say it's a very successful season already. Can't think of anyone that predicted this, except Jordan Howard that is. Anything positive in the playoffs is just a huge cherry on the cake.
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
G08
Hall of Famer

britbear wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
I'd say it's a very successful season already. Can't think of anyone that predicted this, except Jordan Howard that is. Anything positive in the playoffs is just a huge cherry on the cake.
It's a weird feeling... a part of me is satisfied because it's been 8 fucking years since we made the playoffs, but the other part of me wants MOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

wab
Mod

britbear wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
I agree. It may be weird, but regardless of what happens in the post season, I'm pleased with this year. I'd be disappointed if they lost in the playoffs but not upset.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I predicted 10-6 and a Wild Card slot ... I will accept the NFC North Division Championship and a final regular season record that can be no worse than 10-6

I drank the Kool Aid then ... I'm filling a tub to bathe in it now
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The demise of the Saints has been greatly exaggerated. That offense will look different when Armstead (they've been starting Bushrod at LT for christs sake) and Ginn return, and the defense has been absolutely smothering. I'm not picking anyone to beat them in the dome.

The other NFC teams are beatable. The double-Vikings scenario feels scariest because they know us so well, but I think more important than our first opponent is how the young QB and young coach handle the playoff stage. Will Tru be calm and maintain his mechanics? Will Nagy maintain his balance of football smart and aggressive?

I'm interested in the Eagles-Texans game next week. It SHOULDNT happen but if the Eagles beat the Texans then the Vikings will be playing us for a spot and we will likely be playing for nothing. What does Nagy think about resting guys vs momentum, or choosing Vikings vs Eagles for our opponent?
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote:The demise of the Saints has been greatly exaggerated. That offense will look different when Armstead (they've been starting Bushrod at LT for christs sake) and Ginn return, and the defense has been absolutely smothering. I'm not picking anyone to beat them in the dome.

The other NFC teams are beatable. The double-Vikings scenario feels scariest because they know us so well, but I think more important than our first opponent is how the young QB and young coach handle the playoff stage. Will Tru be calm and maintain his mechanics? Will Nagy maintain his balance of football smart and aggressive?

I'm interested in the Eagles-Texans game next week. It SHOULDNT happen but if the Eagles beat the Texans then the Vikings will be playing us for a spot and we will likely be playing for nothing. What does Nagy think about resting guys vs momentum, or choosing Vikings vs Eagles for our opponent?
I agree with your thoughts on the Saints. They are the team to beat IMO.

As far as the Vikings go, if the Bears have nothing to gain from a seeding standpoint, I can see Nagy having a weird ass gameplan that leaves fans scratching their heads just to see if it works and to have it on tape to mess with the Vikings going into the wild card.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote:
And in the Superbowl I hope the Chiefs some how make it. The storyline is just too perfect. The Teacher vs the Student with Reid vs Nagy. The QB showdown between Trubisky and Mahommes to prove who is the top QB from their class. The high flying Chiefs vs the defensive juggernaught Bears. And the cherry on top will be the Bears win as the dynasty begins!
I don't see one game deciding who is the class of the the QB crop. As much as I like Trubs, Mahomes is the class. The #s he is putting up and how he is doing it. He could be the MVP of the league.

Trubs is a nice qb getting the job done on a team whose D is the class of the NFL at the moment. The Bears don't need Trubs to be Mahomes and If Mahomes was putting up Trubs' #s the Chiefs would not be where they are right now.

Just get me to the playoffs, was not thinking they were a playoff team this year.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
britbear wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
I agree. It may be weird, but regardless of what happens in the post season, I'm pleased with this year. I'd be disappointed if they lost in the playoffs but not upset.
Absolutely. I predicted 9-7 and missing the playoffs. The only way to be disappointed now is if Fangio channels his inner Mel Tucker, switches to a 4-3 and we give up 150 in our last 3 games. But that's not going to happen. :)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote:
HurricaneBear wrote:
I don't see one game deciding who is the class of the the QB crop. As much as I like Trubs, Mahomes is the class. The #s he is putting up and how he is doing it. He could be the MVP of the league.

Trubs is a nice qb getting the job done on a team whose D is the class of the NFL at the moment. The Bears don't need Trubs to be Mahomes and If Mahomes was putting up Trubs' #s the Chiefs would not be where they are right now.

Just get me to the playoffs, was not thinking they were a playoff team this year.
Most definitely I agree that one game will not decide anything. But if the Chiefs and Bears play in the Super bowl, I guarantee that will be one of the stories talked about by the media. They will totally be playing up the draft position of both QBs and be billing it as a match up to see who should have gone first. it's just how Super Bowl week goes. And I will enjoy reading every pro Trubisky article and get fired up over every pro Mahommes article. Because why the hell not?

And on a separate note just for the record, I am already happy with how the season has gone, win or lose in the playoffs. But i'm an optimist. I did have us at 13-3 after all this season. So of course i'm going to predict us finishing the job this year. Strike while the iron is hot and all that. :D
G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:
britbear wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
Absolutely. I predicted 9-7 and missing the playoffs. The only way to be disappointed now is if Fangio channels his inner Mel Tucker, switches to a 4-3 and we give up 150 in our last 3 games. But that's not going to happen. :)
Don't even put that into the universe!

Umbali
MVP

IotaNet wrote:

Nay I say! Nay!!

Yes we have exceeded expectations and when the dust settles I will be happy that we are headed up. BUT I AM GREEDY NOW!

I WANT MORE!!

We have seen how long you can wander in the wilderness with Satan tempting you with false riches and promises (Trestman , and Fox come to mind ). Do we want to wander lost again?! NO! Do want to to chase a mirage only to find more sand?! NO!! WE CAME TO FEAST!!!

Now is that time! NOW IS THE TEAM FOR MORE MEAT!!!

Its all on the table now! LETS EAT IT ALL!!!

BAM!!!
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:So we know we're in. The Bears clinched the division by beating the shit out of Aaron Rodgers last Sunday. The question now is. How do we get to the Super Bowl? Who are the opponents, and how do we beat them?

I believe that if the season ended today, that the Bears would play the Vikings in the first round, and then move on to the Rams. To be honest, I'm not excited about the Bears facing the Vikings two weeks in a row. Also the promotion of Stefanski seems to have given the Vikings offense some life. Also, their defense is one of the better in the NFC.

Assuming we get past the Vikings, then it's on to the Rams, who are a mere shell of who they were before they came to Soldier Field. Yes we would be playing in LA. But that benefits both teams to a degree. Besides, the Bears have already shown the league how to beat the Rams. Stop Gurley, confuse Goff with last second defensive shifts, and get pressure. If we face the Rams in LA, I think we have a really good shot at beating them.

Then who do we play in the NFC Championship. None other than...the Dallas Cowboys. That's right. I said it. I think that the Cowboys get past the Seahawks, and shock the World in New Orleans. They've already beaten them once. And it was clear last night in Carolina. A good defense has a puncher's chance against these high flying offenses, and the Boys have already beaten the Saints once. I think they can do it again.

That leads to the NFC Championship in Chicago, against the Cowboys. Where the Cowboys are completely out of their element, and come into frigid Soldier Field, just wanting to go home. Bears throttle the Cowboys, and head to the SB for the first time in 13 years.

Book it!
We could certainly win the whole thing. The defense is elite and the offense is good enough 90% of the time and above average a lot to go deep into the playoffs and compete with anybody in the AFC in the Super Bowl. This is one of those years that if we survive the NFC, we'll win it all.

Our defense is also peaking at the right time. If we go into the playoffs only giving up 13 to 17 points per game we're going to be extremely successful especially with this offense. If I could only have one side of the ball be elite, and doubly so in the playoffs, it would be the defense and that's exactly what we have.

My problem is that I don't believe we're a good enough road team to win two road games in a row against the Rams and then the Saints.

Playing the Vikings makes me nervous, but I think we beat them. I don't want any part of Philly. I do think we can play with the Saints and maybe even beat them in New Orleans. We have an outstanding offense to play on fast turf and our defense can really give New Orleans problems.

We need help with the Rams losing before we play them again. I don't want a "revenge" game against them in LA. They're going to want to bury us. If Dallas beats them somehow, we're set.

In the AFC, we can beat any of them and it could be advantageous for us to play the Chiefs given what Nagy knows about their offense and how Fangio can use that. Our defense would ultimately have to win that game.
Umbali
MVP

See I dont really agree with that Marshall. I think that Philly would be easy to beat. I am more scared of the Vikes. I think that the Rams having issues with Goff as well as Gurleys knee is doable. I think that beating the Saints in NO is always hard and I think Dallas is highly over rated.

I would say in AFC I would be most afraid of Texas...but even then...no AFC team really scares me
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I respect the argument for wanting to play Philly. They're not that good this year. My concern is that they're the defending champs and they have experience in the playoffs. I don't see Wentz's back surviving a game against the Bears though.

For the AFC, I want to play the Chargers. Our defense would just harass Rivers constantly and they have RB injury problems.. I think we'd force a few turnovers and win that game.
Umbali
MVP

I do love the idea of the whole story line of beating KC, however all this talk is obviously putting the cart before the horse.

Right now in the NFC the team that scares me most is N.O at home. So hopefully some miracle happens where they dont get number 1 seed, or if they do someone else knocks them out.

Im sorry but Cowboys dont scare me and we have shown that we can handle the Rams. I think even in warm weather we got them. You can tell me that cold weather made Daniels etc handle Donald. Goff looks like shit right now.

I am happy to be here but i want it all! You never know when you will be back
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote:See I dont really agree with that Marshall. I think that Philly would be easy to beat. I am more scared of the Vikes. I think that the Rams having issues with Goff as well as Gurleys knee is doable. I think that beating the Saints in NO is always hard and I think Dallas is highly over rated.

I would say in AFC I would be most afraid of Texas...but even then...no AFC team really scares me
I know about the familiarity concern. But I'm not afraid of the Vikes for one reason... Kirk Cousins wants ZERO to do with the Chicago Bears defense. He's AFRAID of us. And if his indoor team has to come and play outside in the cold, that only adds another level of discomfort to an already negative thought pattern.

So yes, their defense can do good things and will give Biscuit some problems. But they are not OUR defense. There's a reason that they're only one game over .500.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Booo...
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
crueltyabc wrote:The demise of the Saints has been greatly exaggerated. That offense will look different when Armstead (they've been starting Bushrod at LT for christs sake) and Ginn return, and the defense has been absolutely smothering. I'm not picking anyone to beat them in the dome.

I agree with your thoughts on the Saints. They are the team to beat IMO.

As far as the Vikings go, if the Bears have nothing to gain from a seeding standpoint, I can see Nagy having a weird ass gameplan that leaves fans scratching their heads just to see if it works and to have it on tape to mess with the Vikings going into the wild card.
Yes. Nagy would sit a bunch of guys, or they would get limited work. He would try plays, and run different formations just to get them on tape, and make the Vikings think about them. Set-up in the same formations the following game, but do something completely different out of them.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Now it looks like the path to the Superbowl will most likely be;

Eagles
Saints
Rams

The Eagles don't scare me that much. Their only solid receiver is their TE. Jeffery is good, but is very inconsistent, and Agholor seems to be a one trick pony with his speed. Both of their primary QB's are banged up. They really have no running game. As a team, if you go against the Bears as a one-dimensional team. You're dead.

I figured, as we all did, that the second round was going to be the Rams, but it doesn't look that way. Watching the Saints against the Cowboys, there are opportunities to beat that offense. The Saints defense is also coming around as well. That would be a difficult second round match-up.

Not sure how I feel about the Rams. We beat them once in the frigid confines of Soldier Field. In LA, it would be a different story. But we seemed to have created the blueprint to beat them. Stop Gurley, and harass Goff. Don't let Goff get a clean read of the defense prior to 15 seconds left on the play clock.