James Daniels to Start?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Nanky
Journeyman

Anyone else get excited to see Daniels in there yesterday? I can't remember for sure, but I thought it was shortly after halftime when he was in there. He sure seemed like an upgrade over Kush. Anyone else have any thoughts?
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I'm excited to watch his snaps in All-22, then realize I don't know anything about oline technique, then say something like "he seems pretty good" OR "I dunno. maybe he's not ready yet" as my conclusion. Stay tuned!
xyt in the discord chats
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I've always liked what I've seen from Daniels every time he's been out there (preseason or regular season). I think he should be out there based on talent alone as I think he's a more talented player than Kush. But the Bears coaches know best and how ready Daniels is. I think over the bye week they make the switch, it's obvious they're not pleased with Kush's production otherwise they wouldn't have given Daniels some snaps.
Never Die Easy
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

It's possible they're happy with Kush but wanted to get the rookie some reps in a blowout. Does anyone have Kush's PFF grades or quotes from coaches indicating that they're unhappy?
xyt in the discord chats
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

James actually played in the 3rd, 5th, and 7th drive of the first half. Those were the Cohen TD, the Bellamy TD, and the 2-minute drill. He played in the 2nd drive of the second have as well, but they were in kill-the-clock mode at that point, so no score there.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Nanky wrote:Anyone else get excited to see Daniels in there yesterday? I can't remember for sure, but I thought it was shortly after halftime when he was in there. He sure seemed like an upgrade over Kush. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Well, he's Jahn's thoughts over at the Sun Times:
Daniels fits in

The most notable development up front for the Bears was a rotation at left guard with Eric Kush and second-round pick James Daniels.

Kush got 37 of the 61 snaps, while Daniels received 27, which included some at right guard late in the game. Overall, it was a strong performance for Daniels, who first replaced Kush on the Bears’ third possession.

“James has been working hard and making the progress that we want him to,” offensive line coach Harry Hiestand said. “It was a good start for him.”

On his first snap, Daniels sealed defensive tackle Jerel Worthy on Gabriel’s 10-yard run on an end-around. Five plays later, Daniels pulled to the right and handled linebacker Lavonte David on Cohen’s 19-yard run.

Daniels’ worst play came in the second quarter when he failed to prevent linebacker Kwon Alexander from snuffing out a screen to running back Jordan Howard in the second quarter.

Daniels, though, was much better on Cohen’s 31-yard reception on a screen late in the second quarter. He reached David and shoved him to the outside, which allowed Cohen to cut up the field.
crueltyabc wrote:It's possible they're happy with Kush but wanted to get the rookie some reps in a blowout. Does anyone have Kush's PFF grades or quotes from coaches indicating that they're unhappy?
Current Bears O-line grades from the roster section of PFF:

Leno: 79.6 (Good, #5 Tackle)
Kush: 50.1 (Average, #62 Guard)
Daniels: U/R
Whitehair: 64.4 (Above Average, #14 Center)
Long: 70.5 (Good, #10 Guard)
Massie: 68.9 (Above Average, #20 Tackle)

I assume this is for the first three games only, as Daniels doesn't have a grade. Given that Kush is easily the lowest graded, it's not a surprise they're looking to get Daniels in there. They worked him in quite early too, from the third possession. He was drafted 39th overall, so he really ought to be earning a starting job sooner rather than later.

Hopefully Daniels is the missing piece because those numbers from PFF don't look bad, especially if they don't include the Tampa game. The line as a whole played really well in pass protection this week, but Howard needs some more help in the run game. Since Green Bay he's been getting hit in the backfield way too often and that's why his average is so poor.
Umbali
MVP

I will be honest about 2 things in regards to the game sunday.

1. I never noticed Daniels even playing because I was so unused to the offensive dominance that I felt a bit dizzy.

2. For the rest of the day I felt weird. Normally my post Bears game emotions are: Self Loathing, Disgust, or relief. I wasnt used to Euphoria.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote:I will be honest about 2 things in regards to the game sunday.

1. I never noticed Daniels even playing because I was so unused to the offensive dominance that I felt a bit dizzy.

2. For the rest of the day I felt weird. Normally my post Bears game emotions are: Self Loathing, Disgust, or relief. I wasnt used to Euphoria.
Amen brother! I kept text updating my son during the first half ending every text with OMG. I didn't know what to do.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bad Flanders
MVP

I couldn't get euphoric as I did that during the first half of the GB game only to have the Bears crush all the parts of my soul into a deep dark pit filled with poisonous snakes and dirty diapers and Roseanne Barr.

But after this weekend I'm better again!

Go Josh Daniels! Still think it's weird you aren't the center! But whatever as long as this last Sunday repeats itself a couple more times this year!
BR0D1E86
MVP

Bad Flanders wrote:I couldn't get euphoric as I did that during the first half of the GB game only to have the Bears crush all the parts of my soul into a deep dark pit filled with poisonous snakes and dirty diapers and Roseanne Barr.

Go Josh Daniels! Still think it's weird you aren't the center! But whatever as long as this last Sunday repeats itself a couple more times this year!
James. Josh is too close to McDaniels. :)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bad Flanders wrote:I couldn't get euphoric as I did that during the first half of the GB game only to have the Bears crush all the parts of my soul into a deep dark pit filled with poisonous snakes and dirty diapers and Roseanne Barr.

:rofl:

see, past Bears teams would double down and only deepen that level of pain and disgust by having you changing Roseanne Barr's dirty diaper while in that pit
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Middleguard
MVP

Bad Flanders wrote:Go Josh Daniels! Still think it's weird you aren't the center!
The only thing I've read that might make sense is this: teams value the guard position more than center, and the Bears think that Daniels will eventually become better than Whitehair at guard. Don't know if I agree about the value of the positions, but I don't know much.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote:
Bad Flanders wrote:Go Josh Daniels! Still think it's weird you aren't the center!
The only thing I've read that might make sense is this: teams value the guard position more than center, and the Bears think that Daniels will eventually become better than Whitehair at guard. Don't know if I agree about the value of the positions, but I don't know much.
I was watching a review on Daniels from preseason. They were talking about his flawless combination and reach blocks. They said he had very good technique for such a young player.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

After watching All-22 I'm impressed with Daniels. Everything looks very smooth and easy for him. Kush is out there scrapping but not necessarily controlling guys or knocking them back. Daniels glides over to his guys like a Madden olineman and just latches on to him. He's not killing guys like Kyle will sometimes but Daniels is taking players out of the play. I'm encouraged overall that Kush seemed decent and Daniels looked as good here as he did in the preseason. If the offense calls for the OG to run around more in space than the OC, then I see the argument for keeping Daniels at guard. He looks good on the move, and I'm not sure about Whitehair. Overall the oline did a good job and it was the back seven who were stopping the run more than the Bucs front 4. Now that Mitch had such a good game I wonder if teams will be so willing to have their LBs prowling around in the box rather than helping in the middle and flat.
xyt in the discord chats
sturf
Journeyman

I was excited to see Daniels get playing time. He seemed to only make a couple of mistakes, while flashing the athletic ability that separates him from Kush. Once I saw them at training camp I understood why Daniels is the one moving to guard. Daniels is already obviously bigger and longer than Whitehair and at given his age will likely only get bigger. Combine that with the fact that Whitehair snapping issues aside has been much more impactful at center than he has at guard so far in the NFL, and it made sense to me as long as the Bears have Whitehair.

Daniels showed enough that they he definitely should make a positive difference in the run game and screen plays with his athleticism if he's starting next game.
wab
Mod

sturf wrote:I was excited to see Daniels get playing time. He seemed to only make a couple of mistakes, while flashing the athletic ability that separates him from Kush. Once I saw them at training camp I understood why Daniels is the one moving to guard. Daniels is already obviously bigger and longer than Whitehair and at given his age will likely only get bigger. Combine that with the fact that Whitehair snapping issues aside has been much more impactful at center than he has at guard so far in the NFL, and it made sense to me as long as the Bears have Whitehair.

Daniels showed enough that they he definitely should make a positive difference in the run game and screen plays with his athleticism if he's starting next game.
Whitehair has barely played guard. He was drafted to play LG, but was forced to play center after the team cut Slausen, Grasu got hurt, Larsen was awful, and the Bears lucked into Sitton getting cut. The only time he really played guard was in spot duty to fill in for Sitton/Long during their myriad of injuries. So I can't say he hasn't had an impact when he hasn't really had a chance to play there.

If there is one reason that Whitehair sticks at center it will be because he has really short arms, which is less than ideal at guard - and giant hands, the combination of which is ideal for a center.

Daniels however has arms almost 3 inches longer than Whitehair and has better movement skills... which is important in this offense.

I think Daniels "should" be the center, but it's clear that the team values the guard position more than the center position, so they are putting the better player at guard.

Plus, sticking a 20 year old kid at arguably one of the more complicated positions isn't a great idea.
Pagan
MVP

I haven't seen it announced anywhere, but I'm expecting to see Daniels replace Kush as the Bears starting Guard after the "Bye" Week against the Miami Dolphins.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Pagan wrote:I haven't seen it announced anywhere, but I'm expecting to see Daniels replace Kush as the Bears starting Guard after the "Bye" Week against the Miami Dolphins.
Per Harry Hiestand, Daniels played well and will continue to rotate with Kush against the Dolphins.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Is this a Kwit and Smith will share statement after Green Bay, which is then followed by the rook taking 98% of the snaps? I hope so.
Have a great day
Pagan
MVP

Bearfanuk wrote:Is this a Kwit and Smith will share statement after Green Bay, which is then followed by the rook taking 98% of the snaps? I hope so.
Most likely yes UK fan.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The early returns on this draft has to be an A+.

Roquan is doing good. Miller was doing really well until the injury. Daniels could be starting. Nichols has looked amazing.

I know its one play. But when I think back about some of the moments from this season so far, its the first drive against Green Bay, Mack, Roquan's sack on his first play, the 2 QB goal line pitch to Gabriel, and Nichols just destroying that RB against TB.
cblaz11
MVP

Add in rookie free agents also...I think Kevin Tolliver has a future as a starting cornerback.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:The early returns on this draft has to be an A+.

Roquan is doing good. Miller was doing really well until the injury. Daniels could be starting. Nichols has looked amazing.

I know its one play. But when I think back about some of the moments from this season so far, its the first drive against Green Bay, Mack, Roquan's sack on his first play, the 2 QB goal line pitch to Gabriel, and Nichols just destroying that RB against TB.
People who criticize Smith for looking a little lost, or missing tackles, are being WAY too critical. All signs point to Roquan Smith being a VERY good NFL LB. He is fast sideline to sideline on a level we haven't see around here in years. By midseason, Smith will be considered for DROY.
UOK
Site Admin

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/ ... o/auvgoyc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He also concerned himself with the welfare of the younger player battling for his job, helping Daniels in his first opportunity to play with the starters.

“He was coaching James as much as I was during that game and on the sideline, which is a great testament to Eric,” Hiestand said. “I was really pleased. Nobody likes having reps taken from you, but he knows that James has been working hard and has earned his opportunity. It wasn’t given to him; he earned it.”

Kush certainly isn’t obligated to help the just-turned-21 Daniels, who some day –maybe soon -- is expected to take his job. But he did.

“He’s coaching me just how anyone else would coach me,” Daniels said. “He always helps me. I really appreciate that.”

To Kush, it’s just what a teammate does. He says he and Daniels aren’t fighting each other; they’re fighting the opposing team.

“We’re both getting time, so I’ve got to tell him, ‘Hey, the guy I just went against did this, this and this and you have to be ready for it when you go in,’ ” the veteran said. “We’re trying to win. We’re professionals. If I know he’s going in the next series, I’ve got to tell him, ‘These are the moves I got, and he’s going to do the same for (you). We’re going to have fun and kick some butt together.”
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/ ... o/auvgoyc/
He also concerned himself with the welfare of the younger player battling for his job, helping Daniels in his first opportunity to play with the starters.

“He was coaching James as much as I was during that game and on the sideline, which is a great testament to Eric,” Hiestand said. “I was really pleased. Nobody likes having reps taken from you, but he knows that James has been working hard and has earned his opportunity. It wasn’t given to him; he earned it.”

Kush certainly isn’t obligated to help the just-turned-21 Daniels, who some day –maybe soon -- is expected to take his job. But he did.

“He’s coaching me just how anyone else would coach me,” Daniels said. “He always helps me. I really appreciate that.”

To Kush, it’s just what a teammate does. He says he and Daniels aren’t fighting each other; they’re fighting the opposing team.

“We’re both getting time, so I’ve got to tell him, ‘Hey, the guy I just went against did this, this and this and you have to be ready for it when you go in,’ ” the veteran said. “We’re trying to win. We’re professionals. If I know he’s going in the next series, I’ve got to tell him, ‘These are the moves I got, and he’s going to do the same for (you). We’re going to have fun and kick some butt together.”

^ Pretty dope of Kush, if you ask me.

I wonder if they are easing Daniels in because they don't think he has the stamina to last 4 quarters. Or, maybe, they want to get his feet wet and once they feel like he can handle all the looks and calls they'll make him the starter moving forward.

I will say this: I watched all his snaps the other night and came away impressed. He handled Vita Vea with greater ease than I would have expected.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/ ... o/auvgoyc/

^ Pretty dope of Kush, if you ask me.

I wonder if they are easing Daniels in because they don't think he has the stamina to last 4 quarters. Or, maybe, they want to get his feet wet and once they feel like he can handle all the looks and calls they'll make him the starter moving forward.

I will say this: I watched all his snaps the other night and came away impressed. He handled Vita Vea with greater ease than I would have expected.
Pretty smart of Kush too, if he does get cut by the Bears having a rep for bringing on teammates can only help in contract negotiations with a new team.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

Kush is one of those guys that will stick around for a while IMO. He can play all 3 interior positions in the event of an injury, and has even kicked out to RT in an emergence before in his career. He's one of those guys you need on your team.
Bad Flanders
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:The early returns on this draft has to be an A+.

The 2018 Chicago Bears off-season (and whatever you call it right up to opening day) is looking to go down in history as monumental.

Think about the holes this team had the evening of Dec 21, 2017 and what's happened to those positions, and they weren't just patched up, I can't think of one significant weakness that wasn't transformed into a significant strength by Sept 9, 2018.

The coaching staff, an entirely new receiving corp, and obviously linebacker. All while essentially keeping every single quality player that was already on the roster.

We should be rationalizing the losses right now, telling ourselves it's all so new and this is how a rebuild goes and it takes time for the culture to change...

Legendary off season.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

wab wrote:Kush is one of those guys that will stick around for a while IMO. He can play all 3 interior positions in the event of an injury, and has even kicked out to RT in an emergence before in his career. He's one of those guys you need on your team.
I hope you are right! I hate Kush as a starter but love him as a backup. That versatility you mentioned is so important for the linemen dressed on game days. He seems like a great teammate as well which is even better.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote:
wab wrote:Kush is one of those guys that will stick around for a while IMO. He can play all 3 interior positions in the event of an injury, and has even kicked out to RT in an emergence before in his career. He's one of those guys you need on your team.
I hope you are right! I hate Kush as a starter but love him as a backup. That versatility you mentioned is so important for the linemen dressed on game days. He seems like a great teammate as well which is even better.
Kush is the David Ross of the Bears.