For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Quick Shots: Lloyd takes time returning from knee injury

By Matt Trowbridge
GateHouse News Service

Posted Nov 06, 2008 @ 06:12 PM

Kyle Orton seems to be trying to rush back too soon from a right ankle sprain. His best receiver, on the other hand, seems to be too cautious.

Brandon Lloyd (knee) participated fully in practice Wednesday and Thursday, but said that didn’t mean he would play for the first time in five weeks. He said he also practiced fully a couple times last week.

“I never get too optimistic,” Lloyd said. “I might wake up one day and I feel great. I’m waiting for that day.”

Lloyd said he’s “improving,” but doesn’t plan to play until he’s “as close to 100 percent as possible.”

You’d think a guy who made only 2 catches for 14 yards last year and was out of football until the Bears picked him up would be in a greater hurry to return.

Especially since he had such a strong start; Lloyd has 15 catches for 249 yards, 69 yards out of the team lead despite missing four of Chicago’s eight games.

Orton should take a seat

It’s easy to see why Kyle Orton wants so badly to play. He spent two years on the bench as a third-stringer, yet is enjoying one of the best passing seasons in Bears history. And, with a healthy Orton, Chicago would have a good chance to knock off the NFL’s last unbeaten team.

Tennessee (8-0) has beaten one team with a winning record, 13-10 over Baltimore (5-3), whose five wins have come against teams that are a combined 13-28. The Bears (5-3) have played only one team with a losing record (0-8 Detroit, twice).

But Orton won’t be healthy. Rex Grossman may be as good as a 70-percent Orton. Even if he’s not, it’s better to have a 100-percent Orton in a week or two than a 70-percent — or worse — Orton the rest of the year.

That’s why Orton won’t play.

Election thrills Lovie

Bears coach Lovie Smith was thrilled to see Barack Obama elected President.

“It’s hard to put it into words,” Smith said. “When you grow up, you always hear that you can be anything you want to be, but you need a visual sometimes to see that. And now we have that.

The most powerful man in the ... the most powerful man, period, is black. So young kids coming up today, now they really do know you can be anything.”

Lovie logic on injuries

Lovie Smith loves to play cloak-and-dagger with injury information. Even when he admits it doesn’t create much of an advantage.

Smith seemed incredulous Wednesday when someone asked what he meant by Kyle Orton should return “soon” from his injury.

“I have my definition,” he said.

What is it?

“Of course, I’m not going to give you mine.”

Does it make it harder for Tennessee to prepare for two QBs?

“You have to get ready for the quarterback position in general,” Smith said. “It’s not like we are going to change up what we do. No team does that.”

Matt Trowbridge can be reached at (815) 987-1383 or mtrowbridge@rrstar.com.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS