WEEK 16 // Bears win 14-9 over 49ers

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malk
Head Coach

If, in the first year of a rookie HC and a new system, we're squeaking out wins in the road despite making unforced errors... well we're a good team now and going to be a great one soon.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

It was a tough win against a team that is trending upwards, and would have had a better record without so many starters going on IR. They have a good coach, and a stout defense.

Not sure what all the "Nagy hates running the ball" is about. This game, and all season, the split has been pretty balanced. The knock is we just have not run as well as we should most games, but the calls to run are there. I wish the trick plays were not there every game, that is my only beef with the calls. I will say going for it on 4th and 1 in our side of the field had my eyes popping out, just glad we went with a QB sneak over some attempt at trickery.

A lot of self-inflicted injuries hurt us in this game with penalties and TOs, but we managed to overcome them. That is what good teams do, and it really doesn't matter to me how ugly the win was...it was a win. Even Brady and Brees have rough games where they barely eek out a W. Just enjoy it fellas. If we win next week we are 1 game short of tying our cumulative record from the past 3 years. Savor it folks.
Last edited by VA_Mountain_Bear on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docc
Head Coach

This
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:It was a tough win against a team that is trending upwards, and would have had a better record without so many starters going on IR. They have a good coach, and a stout defense.

Not sure what all the "Nagy hates running the ball" is about. This game, and all season, the split has been pretty balanced. The knock is we just have not run as well as we should most games, but the calls to run are there. I wish the trick plays were not there every game, that is my only beef with the calls. I will say going for it on 4th and 1 in our side of the field had my eyes popping out, just glad we went with a QB sneak over some attempt at trickery.

A lot of self-inflicted injuries hurt us in this game with penalties and TOs, but we managed to overcome them. That is what good teams do, and it really doesn't matter to me how ugly the win was...it was a win. Even Brady and Brees have rough games where they barely eek out a W. Just enjoy it fellas. If we win next week we are 1 game short of tying our cumulative record from the past 3 years. Savor it folks.
I largely agree with you here. Nagy does a lot of short passes, which are effectively run plays.

I know the final score was 14-9, which highlights the defenses. But here's another defensive point. The final score was made at 4:14 of the 3rd quarter. So with both coaches having seen how the matchups are playing and what the other team has established in their defensive posture, neither of 2 good offensive coaches could come up with a way to score again with 19+ minutes left in an entirely one score game.

While I'd like to see Howard playing more, even in the passing game, I get the feeling like Nagy thinks the Cohen role brings so much deception and quick strike ability to this offense, that he chooses to play Mizzell so much because he wants his similar skill set to be already integrated and ready in case Cohen gets injured. Or maybe I'm just crazy.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Richie
MVP

Winning on the road in the NFL is tough. We found a way to do that, despite not playing well. Great teams do just that. Nobody brings their A game all 16 - you still have to find a way when that happens. I think the team gives this one away earlier in the season, which means that we have improved.

I would certainly feel more confident going into a potential road playoff game if we play a LEGITIMATELY good game on Sunday in Minnesota. However, they just need this game more than we do... I think it will be very, very tough.

I think if LA is pounding San Fran at half, we pull the starters as well.
BR0D1E86
MVP

And just cleaning up the fines from the incident....

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/107 ... 14082?s=20
Ormazd
MVP

BR0D1E86 wrote:And just cleaning up the fines from the incident....

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/107 ... 14082?s=20
Seems like they got off pretty light.